Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

Troy Aikman said the Dallas Cowboys next head coach is only likely to be successful under one condition.

A return to a similar power structure the team had under Jimmy Johnson.

“The only way its been done under the [Jerry] Jones’ ownership has been with a head coach that everyone answered to,” Aikman said during his weekly radio show on KTCK/1310 “The Ticket.” “There were no questions in our locker room who was determining our future and that was Jimmy Johnson.”

https://amp.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article238873103.html

preach Troy preach! 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Troy Aikman said the Dallas Cowboys next head coach is only likely to be successful under one condition.

“The only way its been done under the [Jerry] Jones’ ownership has been with a head coach that everyone answered to,” Aikman said during his weekly radio show on KTCK/1310 “The Ticket.” “There were no questions in our locker room who was determining our future and that was Jimmy Johnson.”

preach Troy preach! 

Those days ended with bozo the Switzer and they ain’t gonna change now. Troy might as well wish he discovers the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. 

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

preach Troy preach! 

Staubach needs to make a statement supporting this.

5 hours ago, Underdog said:

Nope.  Totally irrelevant.  Love the man and he's an idol but any opinion of his on current Cowboys situation is useless. 

He still likes to opine and talk Cowboys though, you can tell he loves them still. Saw him at a luncheon speaker thing last year about real estate development and he told a 10 minute story about selling his biz to JLL and the. Spent 30 mins talking about Dak and football and Romo and his playing days in college.

I doubt any NFL team is going to make him HC and GM.  He's way too green for that.  Him having that as a requirement effectively means he's not really interested in the NFL.  Which current coaches have GM power?  Belicheck anyone else?

Chin O Brien

Jason is getting promoted to GM and Witten will be the new corch.

1 hour ago, taybo20 said:

New Dallas coach and fuck ou? Yes please

That's great and all but how long do you think it takes OU to hire urban if Lincoln leaves?  That's about the absolute worst scenario I can imagine.  I'd rather Riley just stay if that's the alternative.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

That's great and all but how long do you think it takes OU to hire urban if Lincoln leaves?  That's about the absolute worst scenario I can imagine.  I'd rather Riley just stay if that's the alternative.

What makes you think Urban wants to be in Oklahoma?  Notre Dame?  USC/UCLA?  Yea, I can see that but why not just stay in Ohio if OU is the next challenge.

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

What makes you think Urban wants to be in Oklahoma?  Notre Dame?  USC/UCLA?  Yea, I can see that but why not just stay in Ohio if OU is the next challenge.

If you're trying to get an NC at three different schools to show you're the greatest coach of your generation, you could do worse than a fully stocked helmet school that has shown they're willing to look the other way at indiscretions.  Bitch slapping your former assistant that you don't like is just gravy. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

I’m not worried about that in the least, but it clearly scares you to death 

This doesnt take 3 meetings unless you're Jerry Jones.

“Jason sit down sit down get comfortable.....Good good.

Now we are and you know that while we were I want to talk about this past season. So while I am and you did I’m certain that we will.

Hang tight for a moment I need to pour me some Johnny.

Ok I’m back. Now where were we?

Oh yes yes we did and so you do. How’s that sound?

You like that? I hope you do. I hope you do very much.”

• Haha 1

I don't know why people have their panties in a wad because Jerry hasn't officially said Garrett is fired. There's no reason to, other than to paint himself into a corner. He'll wait until he has the new coach in the bag. It may be that every coach he likes is telling him to feck off.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DougO said:

I don't know why people have their panties in a wad because Jerry hasn't officially said Garrett is fired. There's no reason to, other than to paint himself into a corner. He'll wait until he has the new coach in the bag. It may be that every coach he likes is telling him to feck off.

Lolz.  I agree with your first sentence; but it would be peak Jerrah  for him to come back and say ginger is the most qualified candidate available.   

1 minute ago, PilotsError said:

He doesn't need a new coach in the bag before firing fucktard.  Garrett can't come back.  Just announce his contract isn't being renewed.  If we go into this weekend and they're still having meetings, he's coming back.

yep, it sounds like a delay tactic hoping the playoffs start, there isn't an obvious better candidate and everyone will just go "whatever..lets talk about the Playoffs/Super Bowl.", when he gives him a 2 year contract.  This is where we are, Jerry is turning the Cowboys into the Bengals where no one cares anymore.

the only problem he has is that he has to actually announce something related to the contract because it expires.

Jerry, in his mind: "I think that ginger ale at the concession stand is just Coke and Sprite mixed together. How can I prove it? Ah! Can't, dammit." 

Jason, coming in Jerry's office: "Hey, Boss."

Jerry: "What? J-Jason, what are you doin' here? I ended your employment, twice."

Jason: "Jerry, you didn't mean that. That was just a fight."

Jerry: "Why does it only seem like I'm the only one working at this firing?!?"

Jason: "Jerry, I listened to your arguments, and they were rambling and flimsy. I'm not convinced. Come on, get dressed and let's go over the draft."

Jerry: "All right."

• Like 2

Now I'm reading about possible bringing Gary Kubiak in to be game day coach while Jason sticks around to handle all other facets of day to day management. . .

Could you imagine being head coach of the Cowboys and being demoted to a different role within the same organization?

I think Garret should just announce "I'm done, Jerry. I'll do your job for you. I'm going to coach a different team."

I've read articles where Jerry doesnt want to give up the "capital" investment hes made in Garrett. Like he's a peice of property or a stock share. There's a weird codependent dynamic at play. Awkward.

They both need this book.3cbf15b2eeae461c3453afe7ac622065.jpg

1 minute ago, BearSchlong said:

Now I'm reading about possible bringing Gary Kubiak in to be game day coach while Jason sticks around to handle all other facets of day to day management. . .

Could you imagine being head coach of the Cowboys and being demoted to a different role within the same organization?

I think Garret should just announce "I'm done, Jerry. I'll do your job for you. I'm going to coach a different team."

I've read articles where Jerry doesnt want to give up the "capital" investment hes made in Garrett. Like he's a peice of property or a stock share. There's a weird codependent dynamic at play. Awkward.

They both need this book.3cbf15b2eeae461c3453afe7ac622065.jpg

There is no fucking chance that happens. Where are you hearing this shit?