Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

I'd rather take a chance of a coordinator who's never been a HC than hire a coach who is available because he was fired.

Coaches get fired because they can't innovate and because they don't know how to make the most out of the talent available. No retreads, please. The opposite of such a coach would be Bill Belichick. Jones's search won't be complete unless he interviews Roman. If there's someone in SF other than Shanahan behind that offense, sign me up. Two backs, QB under center (sometimes). Deception, misdirection. Fuck Yeah!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

McCarthy needed a great talent like Rodgers to make that happen and pretty much Rodgers running the show on his own. Could he do that with Dak? He is not the same QB as Rodgers at all. Also, 2 of those NFC title games came because he played shit ass Garrett in the divisional round and Rodgers owns Garrett and this team. Is he better than Garrett? Probably. Is it some quality hire that will take us to the next level? Probably not.

And I would scoff and laugh at Marvin Lewis but Rooney Rule is all that is. No way we actually hire him to be a head coach. Now I'd take him as a DC or something. That is better suited for him. But he was stable and consistent enough in Cincy where I'm sure some team would give him a HC position. NFL loves hiring re-treads. 

The Fan was just saying that someone who works at The Star was basically saying they interviewed Lewis as a head coach, but we’re laying the ground work for him possibly being a DC if they hired certain other coaches.  I’d take Marvin as DC if Riley were the HC. 

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

The Fan was just saying that someone who works at The Star was basically saying they interviewed Lewis as a head coach, but we’re laying the ground work for him possibly being a DC if they hired certain other coaches.  I’d take Marvin as DC if Riley were the HC. 

Same. Lewis as a DC would be a huge upgrade to the old senile geezer we have had to endure over the years.

Uh Marvin thanks for uh coming in to see me about uh being head coach of my team. First uh question is uh how would you feel about being defensive coordinator if uh you don’t get the job?  Second question:  could you uh work for mike uh McCarthy?  Thanks for your time. We’ll uh let you know. /winks and extends hand

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

Lewis is fine if that's who the new coach picks.  But if Jerry is picking coordinators again...let's just shut this thing down and find something else to do on Sundays.

Why would you expect anything else? We all know that's exactly what he's doing. 

8 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Twenty years ago. Was he the same man back then?

Yes. He got the Cleveland browns to 11-5 and into the playoffs in 1994.  The Cleveland browns. 
he was only a retread because of the stupidity of the Cleveland browns. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

6 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Twenty years ago. Was he the same man back then?

So, you just made the case for retreads..... they aren't necessarily the same persons they were the first go around.  In some situations, through experience and development, they can learn and be better.  Is that the case with the Human Thumb (McCarthy) or Regular Season Marvin?  No idea, I doubt it, but retreads themselves aren't necessarily doomed to be terrible coaches the rest of the careers.  7 out of the last 10 SB winners have been retreads (BB, Kubiak, Carroll, Coughlin).  Even Payton was sort of a retread on the offensive coordinator end.  That written, I don't think I'd be overjoyed by either Thumb or Regular Season.

McCarthy is a complete fucking tard and would be a horrible choice. He was gifted the prime years of Aaron Rodgers and only got 1 SB out of it. 

Against Seattle in the playoffs a few years ago he made about 10 decisions near the end of the game that were all wrong. If he wasn't so stupid they would have won that going away.

• Like 4

Something sure changed for Belichick. 4 of his last 5 seasons in Cleveland were losers. He went like 5-11 in the last one, 7 straight losses. He got rid of Kosar. The team moved to Baltimore and Modell fired him. http://allthingsbillbelichick.com/copies/belichick-fired-by-modell

The article suggests he might land as JJ's DC at Miami although Kraft was showing some interest.

2 hours ago, Big Frog II said:

It took Jerry no time at all to fire Landry and Johnson, but he has a hard time getting rid of mediocre Garrett.  Go figure.

Garrett's about 1/ millionth the threat to Jerrah's dominance that Tom was.

• Like 1

Hiring McCarthy doesn't fuck over Oklahoma so no, don't hire McCarthy. 

Only make hires that fuck over Oklahoma. Nothing else matters as even lucking into a SB run Eli style is impossible for an organization as poorly run as the cowboys where the owner pretends to be a GM then constantly cuts his coaches off at the knees and allows players to disrespect the coach with zero accountability. 

57 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Something sure changed for Belichick. 4 of his last 5 seasons in Cleveland were losers. He went like 5-11 in the last one, 7 straight losses. He got rid of Kosar. The team moved to Baltimore and Modell fired him. http://allthingsbillbelichick.com/copies/belichick-fired-by-modell

The article suggests he might land as JJ's DC at Miami although Kraft was showing some interest.

The team was 4-5, modell announced the move, and the team lost its last 7. Not sure why the team and coaches would let that affect them, but that team sure cratered right after the announcement. 

44 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Why aren’t guys like Marvin Lewis or Jim Caldwell absolutely insulted when they’re called in for interviews?

personally I think there have been enough successful black head coaches now that they should just remove the rule.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The team was 4-5, modell announced the move, and the team lost its last 7. Not sure why the team and coaches would let that affect them, but that team sure cratered right after the announcement. 

I suspect Belichick has grown considerably since those days - in just about every way. Interesting that Kraft hired him after so much turmoil in Cleveland. Would love to know what Bill told him in the interview.

Never mind. Parcells hired Belichick as Asst. HC at NE. Apparently both left for the Jets. Then I found this.

"

Parcells took the initiative to broker the deal that led to Belichick's hiring (as Patriots HC) when he called the Patriots' owner, Robert Kraft, on Tuesday night. ''I told him it was Darth Vader calling and he said he knew who that was,'' Parcells said.

It was the first meaningful conversation the two have had since Parcells -- with Belichick, his assistant head coach, in tow -- left the Patriots for the Jets in a wave of acrimony that has lingered for three years. But in a conversation that lasted about 40 minutes -- one that Parcells described as amiable -- the two buried their personal animosity."

3 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Derek Henry is pure beast. Just think if cowboys   Jerry had done the smart thing that we clamored for they'd have a legit top 4 pick player on either offense or defense plus Henry and we WOULDN'T have to deal with lazy ass piece of shit Zeke and the annoying underachieving bullshit of Jaylon Smith. 

You think anyone else would have had a say in this? Who do you think runs that team? 

On 1/3/2020 at 12:18 PM, C-Man said:

I'm not convinced Riley will be a good NFL coach. Make no mistake. I think Urban to the NFL could be a disaster. He's never spent a single day in the NFL. Riley appears to be good at schemes and what-not. What is Urban best at? Program building and recruiting. Of the three, I think Rhule is the best football coach and most likely to succeed in the NFL. Pete Carroll is the exception, not the rule -- and remember he came to CFB from the NFL.

At Florida and Ohio State he only had to sweat 2-3 games per year. It would be a weekly occurrence in the NFL.

I've seen enough interviews of Meyer to know that he's super detail oriented and despite his offensive background he analyzes the game holistically in a similar manner to what Belichick is known for (they're good friends). I'd actually be surprised if Meyer wasn't a good to even excellent coach in the NFL. I've seen interviews of him discussing things like bringing on behaviorial analyst to watch film of opposing coaches to get a gist for their body language tells before they call trick plays, go for it on 4th down, kick an onside, or any number of out of the usual decisions opposing coaches make. That's the type of scorched earth level analysis that I've never even seen. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I've seen enough interviews of Meyer to know that he's super detail oriented and despite his offensive background he analyzes the game holistically in a similar manner to what Belichick is known for (they're good friends). I'd actually be surprised if Meyer wasn't a good to even excellent coach in the NFL. I've seen interviews of him discussing things like bringing on behaviorial analyst to watch film of opposing coaches to get a gist for their body language tells before they call trick plays, go for it on 4th down, kick an onside, or any number of out of the usual decisions opposing coaches make. That's the type of scorched earth level analysis that I've never even seen. 

I don't know much about the guy, but I saw about a minute clip of him talking about Chase Young's pass rushing technique and their was more detail and passion in that answer than anything the Ginger spewed out in 10 years of being the head coach of an NFL team ..

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

rex ryan on espn just now (paraphrased):

jerry doesn't have the guts to bring in a strong coach

it is absolutely not a desirable job for Top Men

I think for most Cowboys fans that's a captain obvious take. Aside from Parcells,  look at the hires.... all of them. 

33 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Yeah, there was Jimmy and Parcels aside from that every other coach has been a puppet for Jerry. That has been obvious for a very long time.

I dont count Jimmy, Jerry didnt know what he was getting and had he known, Jimmy would have never been the coach.