Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God damn this is such a stupid fucking hire, man. But i already accepted that it was going to happen yesterday. Guy is super fucking conservative, and his own hall of fame qb basically thought he was an idiot from the jump. He had the greatest talent most of us have seen at qb (not the greatest career, but definitely the greatest talent) and he made it to one super bowl. I really do think this is Garrett 2.0. Like him and Garrett would’ve had the exact same career if they switched places. 

Fuck, man. This team wants its fan base to bail on them.

3 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

How could you hire someone so fat?  This guy is a fatty fatty fat fat. 

Jerry needed a KoolAid man?

But he's a Super Bowl winning coach!

Jeff Fisher was 1-yard and a 2-pt conversion away from being a SB winning coach.

Edited by clapclapclap

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

How many coaches have won Super Bowls with multiple teams in the history of the sport? None. As a head coach that is. I don't think being a Super Bowl winning coach means much going forward. Especially when that title was about a decade ago.

Every single Super Bowl winning coach I can think of, was not some huge hotshot before then. Mike Tomlin was unproven. Coughlin never won consistently before he won it all. Belichik was a great DC under Parcells. Had a few good seasons with Cleveland and then was fired. Pete Carroll was an NFL flameout before he came back to do it again.

right.  the hire is meh(Garrett but with Aaron Rodgers instead of Tony Romo/Dak).  I'm just saying why he hired him.  the interviews will be easy.  every answer ends with "super bowl winning coach". the guy is arky which is really really close to aggy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

right.  the hire is meh(Garrett but with Aaron Rodgers instead of Tony Romo/Dak).  I'm just saying why he hired him.  the interviews will be easy.  every answer ends with "super bowl winning coach". the guy is arky which is really really close to aggy.

That's true. Jerry will pat himself on the back that a guy who won a Super Bowl wants to work with him. Typical Jerry. 

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

That's true. Jerry will pat himself on the back that a guy who won a Super Bowl wants to work with him. Typical Jerry. 

can only hope McCarthy has a huge burr under his ass about Rodgers basically saying he's an idiot.  I'm really concerned about the defense though as Dak isn't the bailout king Rodgers is.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

How is McCarthy only 56?  Jesus, he might actually get 15 years at the helm.  (Jerruh won't live that long, though.)

No way. McCarthy will have a short leash like every other coach not named Garrett. McCarthy is an outsider and has no ties to Jerry like Jason did.

Some think this is a stop gap to groom Kellen Moore as the next head coach. A guy Jerry can point to that he groomed from day one from a player and rose the coaching ranks. You know, exactly like Garrett.

25 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. Why be in a hurry? So many guys out there that will be looking to prove themselves. And like you said, sharp offensive minds. That is what we need. We ran a stale offense for over a decade under Garrett. We desperately need some new fusion to this offense with Dak. The offense he ran was not suited for him. We are not utilizing his strengths. Which was the knock on McCarthy.

Jerry in essence hired the first guy he genuinely interviewed. Marvin Lewis was a Rooney Rule interview. He was never a true candidate. 

That's pretty much what Stephen A Smith said. Two coaches interviewed - with Urban Meyer out there, they hire a coach that Aaron Rodgers said refused to innovate. So Coach Dickwad sits out a year and wonders what it will take to get a some gullible fucking owner interested in him - after being "outed" by Rogers. I know, I'll paint them some bullshit fantasy about an analytics department. Tendencies... blah blah blah, and I'll be back pulling down a nice fat salary. I can coast for another five years minimum.

Well, McCarthy sure as hell found the gullible owner/s. The Jones Boys, who themselves have zero interest in growing or, apparently, winning a Superbowl. They just wanted another butt boy to replace Garrett. Complete utter disappointment.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DougO said:

McCarthy is a lot like Jason Garrett, except he had a sure-fire HOF quarterback in his prime for 13 years making his offense look a lot better than it was. He was a system guy, for what is now an antiquated system that has had many revisions and updates since. Rodgers didn't have kind things to say about him. When one of your primary needs is  a great coach/QB relationship with an eye towards innovation and getting ahead of the curve and a quick mind to handle game situations, this doesn't seem like a good hire. Just more of the same.

The change in offensive system could be beneficial for a while, but before long every team will know what the Cowboys are going to do better than the Cowboys, which sounds familiar. I hope that stories about McCarthey re-inventing himself with tremendous research and studying tendancies since he was fired have some merit, but a coach generally doesn't change his personality after he's been in the business and had a modicum of success. A system guy is a system guy.

To be fair, Rodgers just had one of his worst years ever without McCarthy. The Packers are good, but that hasn't been because of Rodgers. 

Edit - Actually, it wasn't bad at all. But he was on my fantasy team and it seemed really shitty. Oh well. 

Edited by StruggleBus

6 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

That's pretty much what Stephen A Smith said. Two coaches interviewed - with Urban Meyer out there, they hire a coach that Aaron Rodgers said refused to innovate. So Coach Dickwad sits out a year and wonders what it will take to get a some gullible fucking owner interested in him - after being "outed" by Rogers. I know, I'll paint them some bullshit fantasy about an analytics department. Tendencies... blah blah blah, and I'll be back pulling down a nice fat salary. I can coast for another five years minimum.

Well, McCarthy sure as hell found the gullible owner/s. The Jones Boys, who themselves have zero interest in growing or, apparently, winning a Superbowl. They just wanted another butt boy to replace Garrett. Complete utter disappointment.

I would like to think Stephen just got shoved aside as soon as Jerry got a tingle. Otherwise, I will also die hoping the Cowboys will someday be good again.

tumblr_pmtiu6lzzO1svkia9o1_500.gifv

Edited by DanTheHorn

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

lol at comparing Reid's tenrue in Philly with McCathy's in GB. Apples to Oranges.

Reid in Philadelphia: 14 seasons, 130-93-1 (0.583), 10-9 in playoffs, 6 division titles, 1 conference championship
McCarthy in Green Bay: Nearly 13 seasons, 125-77-2 (0.618), 10-8 in playoffs, 6 division titles, 1 conference championship, 1 Super Bowl championship

Yeah, definitely not even close.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Reid in Philadelphia: 14 seasons, 130-93-1 (0.583), 10-9 in playoffs, 6 division titles, 1 conference championship
McCarthy in Green Bay: Nearly 13 seasons, 125-77-2 (0.618), 10-8 in playoffs, 6 division titles, 1 conference championship, 1 Super Bowl championship

I guess I missed the part where Reid had two of the best QBs to ever play football during his 14 seasons there. Like I said, apples to oranges. He also only managed to win more than 10 games once from 2013 to 2018 with Aaron Rodgers in his prime. Teams figured out his system, and he never did anything to adjust. Same goes for Capers' system on defense.

Edited by Burt Macklin

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

McCarthy worked with 2 hall of fame QBs. Reid worked with McNabb. Yes, not the same.

I'd be willing to say Reid made McNabb better than what he could have been with a guy like McCarthy. And McCarthy handcuffed what Rodgers could have really did

Look beyond the numbers.

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Marvin Lewis is the better coach, imo. Guy was over .500 at Cincy

mccarthy had a hall of fame qb and under performed 

both are an improvement over JG. I think McCarthy is going to wreck shop. 

I thought I had read some dumb shit on this thread.

And then I read this. 

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

McCarthy worked with 2 hall of fame QBs. Reid worked with McNabb. Yes, not the same.

I'd be willing to say Reid made McNabb better than what he could have been with a guy like McCarthy. And McCarthy handcuffed what Rodgers could have really did

Look beyond the numbers.

How's Aaron Rodgers looking this year without McCarthy?

Don't get me wrong, McCarthy is basically a guy as an NFL head coach. But y'all are seriously overselling Andy Reid.

Edited by Huckleberry

34 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I always thought Andy Reid was a better coach than Mike McCarthy. Meh.

All you have to do is look at Andy Reid’s coaching tree to see how comparing him to McCarthy is just laughable

11 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Can't be any worse.  I'm in on this hire for now.

Everyone knows Rodgers was (is) a dick to work with.  He drove out Mike M from GB.  He will have a chip on his shoulder.  At least maybe the Packers won't continue to beat us...

Rodgers was a dick, in part because McCarthy was the OC in SF that decided to draft Alex smith over him. He also thought he was legitimately a fucking idiot. I’m sorry, but I trust Rodgers in that situation more than i trust a guy who has kind of been proven to be a lame duck head coach. I’m actually pretty convinced that if Garrett and McCarthy switched places the last 10 years, Garrett would have a super bowl, Rodgers would think he’s an idiot and he’d get run out of town, and this fan base would hate McCarthy the same way we hate Garrett 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Marvin Lewis is the better coach, imo. Guy was over .500 at Cincy

mccarthy had a hall of fame qb and under performed 

both are an improvement over JG. I think McCarthy is going to wreck shop. 

Lets; not get carried away. I do think Marvin did a good job making Cincy relevant but he was 0-7 in the playoffs. I mean a lot of coaches can luck and backdoor to at least one win. He never did.

I guarantee if Marvin was the guy, hardly anyone would approve that at all.

Packers fan weighing in here: I think it’s a good hire if McCarthy really spent his time away from the game self-scouting and studying new offensive trends, etc. like he claims. The offense definitely grew stale towards the end of his tenure, but he also dealt with a GM who refused to draft offensive skill position talent/sign FAs + a regressing HoF quarterback. With LaFleur at the helm, Rodgers is still exhibiting a lot of his flaws that reared their head during the end of McCarthy’s tenure which tells me it wasn’t 100% his fault the team began to tank.

Edited by Bodowned

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I thought I had read some dumb shit on this thread.

And then I read this. 

I think Garrett, McCarthy, and Lewis are all in the same tier of extremely mediocre to below average coaches. One guy just happened to have prime Aaron Rodgers and the others had Andy dalton and romo/Dak. But all very similar in their ability to coach a football team

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

Didn’t McCarthy make the playoffs 8 years in a row? I’d kill for that kind of success. Fuck Lincoln Riley. I hope next season we expose his defense half as well as LSU did. 

the question is if McCarthy made the playoffs or Favre/Aaron Rodgers made the playoffs 8 years in a row.  

I believe we are going to find out.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Pretty good for a 36yr old playing in a new offense for the first time in his pro career?

No, the correct answer is he looks like shit. 21st in the league in QBR.

And the argument appears to be that McCarthy's horrific offense was what held him back. That offense is gone and he looks worse.

28 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Can't be any worse.  I'm in on this hire for now.

Everyone knows Rodgers was (is) a dick to work with.  He drove out Mike M from GB.  He will have a chip on his shoulder.  At least maybe the Packers won't continue to beat us...

It can be worse if they shift to a 3-4 defense like the Big Flounder made them do, because it was his thing. They would spend the next four years acquiring the type of personnel they don't have to run it. And that seems to be the more likey way McCarthy would go. Parcells waited a year because of Mike Zimmer having the number one ranked defense, and the big flounder scrapped it. It was a clusterfuck that resulted in Parcells getting burned out again and hiring Wade Phillips precisely because of his expertise with a 3-4 defense hey heavily invested in, and resulted in hiring Garrett to run an offense. It started a new chain of perpetual mediocrity that lasted until today. The Cowboys were bad before, actually worse, but the direction Jerry went with the worn out retread cost the Cowboys nearly two decades of treading water. I fear the same is starting today. Same mistake all over again.

Edited by DougO

8 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Didn’t McCarthy make the playoffs 8 years in a row? I’d kill for that kind of success. Fuck Lincoln Riley. I hope next season we expose his defense half as well as LSU did. 

Rodgers is the greatest talent I’ve ever seen play qb. He won exactly 1 super bowl. You better make the fucking playoffs every year when you have the greatest talent at the history of the position. I take everything he did in GB with a grain of salt. I’ve said for a while now that I think history will show that McCarthy is kind of a shitty, Garrett like coach. I just didn’t think it would be with this franchise. Fuck 

Yes, I can buy that Rodgers is simply continuing to decline. But his power play that it was McCarthy's fault his production was going down has been contradicted by this season. 

Anyway, I'm done because I'm sounding like a McCarthy defender when in fact I view him as an average NFL coach. The key to me, though, is with this roster and an average coach in this division, the Cowboys would have been 11-5. Garrett was horrific. He took a top quartile roster in an awful division where the only other decent team had terrible injury issues and missed the playoffs. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

I don't know why cowboys fans are disappointed.  No coach with a current HC job in college or the NFL we're going to ever agree to be a Jones puppet. No big time prospect coordinator like a Roman or Bieniemy with options coming up for HC jobs would choose to be a Jones puppet. 

Like I said before this was going to be someone who was previously a head coach and is now a retread who is desperate enough to agree to be a puppet and/or work in an organizational culture that is this toxic. The only choices were people like McCarthy, Marvin Lewis, Norv Turner, Jeff Fisher, Hugh Jackson, Jim Caldwell, etc. 

Out of that list McCarthy was the only one with any winning credentials. He just became desperate because no one wanted him after his public rift with Rodgers and after a complete rookie HC just walked in and coached up/schemed the same team McCarthy underachieved with to a first round bye in the playoffs. 

Will he win in Dallas? No. No one can. It's a well poisoned by inbred arky idiocy and a roster that hit it's peak in talent this season and now will become ravished by bad contracts and poor drafting. People locally like to ride McClay's nuts but outside of that great 2016 draft they've been terrible. 2017-2019 drafts were poor and the roster is about to take a major dip in talent. 

I may be in the minority but I feel like this is a home run hire. McCarthy is a disciplined coach. I expect him to straighten out a lot of the stupid penalties and dumb bullshit we do to always lose close games. McCarthy wont put up with Jerry's shit and will command respect from players. He also has a huge chip on his shoulder and is out to prove he is more than just a beneficiary of Aaron Rodgers. I expect this to be a wildly successful move immediately. Also saw some smoke of bringing Rex Ryan in as DC, yes please.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I don't know why cowboys fans are disappointed.  No coach with a current HC job in college or the NFL we're going to ever agree to be a Jones puppet. No big time prospect coordinator like a Roman or Bieniemy with options coming up for HC jobs would choose to be a Jones puppet. 

Like I said before this was going to be someone who was previously a head coach and is now a retread who is desperate enough to agree to be a puppet and/or work in an organizational culture that is this toxic. The only choices were people like McCarthy, Marvin Lewis, Norv Turner, Jeff Fisher, Hugh Jackson, Jim Caldwell, etc. 

Out of that list McCarthy was the only one with any winning credentials. He just became desperate because no one wanted him after his public rift with Rodgers and after a complete rookie HC just walked in and coached up/schemed the same team McCarthy underachieved with to a first round bye in the playoffs. 

Will he win in Dallas? No. No one can. It's a well poisoned by inbred arky idiocy and a roster that hit it's peak in talent this season and now will become ravished by bad contracts and poor drafting. People locally like to ride McClay's nuts but outside of that great 2016 draft they've been terrible. 2017-2019 drafts were poor and the roster is about to take a major dip in talent. 

I bet you are a lot of fun at parties. Cant wait to watch you be completely wrong. 

9 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Rodgers is the greatest talent I’ve ever seen play qb. He won exactly 1 super bowl. You better make the fucking playoffs every year when you have the greatest talent at the history of the position. I take everything he did in GB with a grain of salt. I’ve said for a while now that I think history will show that McCarthy is kind of a shitty, Garrett like coach. I just didn’t think it would be with this franchise. Fuck 

Your opinion is void bc the greatest NFL talent at QB is Brady. Brees is also better for qbs currently playing. Manning was more talented than Rodgers. I’m bored but the list is longer 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Your opinion is void bc the greatest NFL talent at QB is Brady. Brees is also better for qbs currently playing. Manning was more talented than Rodgers. I’m bored but the list is longer 

I disagree. Rodgers at his peak was the best QB I've ever seen. His raw talent is unbelievable. 

4 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Starting to wonder if you know the difference between having more talent and having a better career. Brady is the goat. He had the greatest career of any football player who has ever lived. Prime Rodgers is far and away the more talented qb by every metric that you would measure that and it isn’t even close. What I said wasn’t a knock on Brady, at all. He’s the goat. Am I missing something, or did you just not understand what I was saying?

Edited by youdunnf'dup

33 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Cincy relevant but he was 0-7 in the playoffs. I mean a lot of coaches can luck and backdoor to at least one win. He never did

He had shit teams at cincy 

mccarty was a good hire. I’m anxious to see his coaching staff 

Edited by tx 3 putt