Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

In case you haven't seen it someone posted the Sturm Athletic piece at the top of this page in the other McCarthy thread 

I'll hold off on Dak until I can see how McCarthy uses him. Hopefully Sturm's portrayal is the McCarthy that comes to Dallas and he bows up/challenges the arky fucks instead of becoming a subservient puppet just to keep his job. 

5 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

In case you haven't seen it someone posted the Sturm Athletic piece at the top of this page in the other McCarthy thread 

re "you are wrong". I recall a number of years back, a statement with a similar ring, being made about Mack Brown, by a North Carolina Alum, right after UT hired him. At least Mack was able to recruit some good players and coaches, but he, himself, was never that good of a coach. 

The McCarthy hire is beginning to have the same feel. Unlike Mack, he looks like a fucking slob. I can't get too excited about what he brings to the table. A year or two making it to the playoffs, but overall, pretty meh.

6 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

One was on road as a significant underdog and one in comfy confines. 

That's cool and all. How long did it take Cousins to finally get that one win? His record against good competition was god awful and still is. Just now he finally got that playoff win. He wilted under pressure constantly until this one game. One game doesn't change my thoughts on him.

He also got the benefit of being able to lean on a defense that is actually competent. Aren't they one of the best in the league? They actually can force turnovers. Turned Brees over twice. Dak has never ever once in his career been able to lean on his defense. Their front 7 shits all over ours. Hell their whole defense shits on ours. This defense makes any QB most weeks look like god. Dak constantly has to drive 80+ plus yards because the defense and special teams are non existent.

Tannehill also won a road playoff game against Brady. Is he also better now? 

8 minutes ago, TornACL said:

People are suddenly Kirk Cousins fans on here? Do y'all even watch games? 

Not a huge fan. Just saying he’s clearly in the same tier as Dak. Not good enough to elevate a team (like a Watson, or even Wentz), but good enough to win with if you surround him with tons of talent (just like half the qbs in the league). If you pay Dak and 3 years down the road you don’t have a dominant oline, and Zeke is close to being done, you’re gonna have a bad time. 

11 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

With Brady and Brees and Rodgers in decline, and Lamar having done his thing for one year, I think it’s clear Mahomes is in a league by himself, possibly with Russell. If you want to put the other 4 guys in that top tier, to the extent the other 3 remain in the league next year, that’s appropriate. Those are your six Tier 1 guys.

You’ve got a bunch of guys in Tier 2. Cousins, Dak, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Allen, Goff, Wentz, Ryan, Carr, Garappolo, Watson, Mayfield, Murray, Winston. The latter three are probably Tier 3 right now. I take Cousins, Ryan, Watson, Carr, Wentz and Goff, all over Dak. Rivers and Roethlisberger are too old and have declined too much. Allen and Garappolo may be better now but need more seasoning. I think Cousins, Ryan and Watson are clearly ahead of Dak and you could make a strong argument Dak is better than  Carr, Wentz and Goff. I just wouldn’t buy it. 

Rivers, Roethlisberger, and Ryan have already peaked, so I'd remove them. Mayfield and Winston are clowns, I'd drop them. I'd probably put Watson above the rest into almost "elite" territory, and Jackson is on a trajectory so I'll put him with Watson, for now at least.  

So the "tier 2" up-and-comers are Dak, Cousins, Allen, Goff, Wentz, Garappolo, and Murray. The fact that Dak is in that class means you roll with him, because drafting is a crap shoot, and Dallas will likely not be in the top 5 any time soon. And despite the haters' warped viewpoint, he has not in any way shown that he is in the Mayfield category of busts. Of those I've listed, I like Dak's chances to emerge with some better coaching. I just don't get the Cousins love, he's had a decent year, but he's a clown and it's taken him several seasons to get here. Wentz may have talent, but he'll never be healthy enough to be truly elite, in my opinion. Goff has been up and down, Allen looks good and I just don't know much about him, Murray is physically limited and may or may not be able to overcome it long term.

Dak just put up great numbers with a teenager at OC and a clapping do-nothing idiot at HC and a Tech style swiss cheese defense. He has still shown some immaturity with footwork and accuracy. But he has improved over time without question. It has been mentioned repeatedly--the market for QBs is crazy. Each new contract is the highest. If your guy is in that group of potentially elite up-and-comers, you have to pay him. If you really think you can find the next Mahomes in the draft, well you're delusional as fuck. With good offensive coaching and a better defense, he still has a chance. I'm not ready to pretend this team is in the SB conversation, but the potential is there, and you don't just ditch Dak thinking he's the problem, because he has not been remotely the problem with this franchise or the team this year.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

Rivers, Roethlisberger, and Ryan have already peaked, so I'd remove them. Mayfield and Winston are clowns, I'd drop them. I'd probably put Watson above the rest into almost "elite" territory, and Jackson is on a trajectory so I'll put him with Watson, for now at least.  
So the "tier 2" up-and-comers are Dak, Cousins, Allen, Goff, Wentz, Garappolo, and Murray. The fact that Dak is in that class means you roll with him, because drafting is a crap shoot, and Dallas will likely not be in the top 5 any time soon. And despite the haters' warped viewpoint, he has not in any way shown that he is in the Mayfield category of busts. Of those I've listed, I like Dak's chances to emerge with some better coaching. I just don't get the Cousins love, he's had a decent year, but he's a clown and it's taken him several seasons to get here. Wentz may have talent, but he'll never be healthy enough to be truly elite, in my opinion. Goff has been up and down, Allen looks good and I just don't know much about him, Murray is physically limited and may or may not be able to overcome it long term.
Dak just put up great numbers with a teenager at OC and a clapping do-nothing idiot at HC and a Tech style swiss cheese defense. He has still shown some immaturity with footwork and accuracy. But he has improved over time without question. It has been mentioned repeatedly--the market for QBs is crazy. Each new contract is the highest. If your guy is in that group of potentially elite up-and-comers, you have to pay him. If you really think you can find the next Mahomes in the draft, well you're delusional as fuck. With good offensive coaching and a better defense, he still has a chance. I'm not ready to pretend this team is in the SB conversation, but the potential is there, and you don't just ditch Dak thinking he's the problem, because he has not been remotely the problem with this franchise or the team this year.

I don’t make a “Tier 2” guy the highest-paid player in football. I don’t care that he’ll get passed by Mahomes, Deshaun and Lamar Jackson.

Watson and Mahomes will more than likely sign extensions this offseason by the time training camp starts (like what Goff & Wentz did this past season incorporating the final 2 years of their rookie deals to soften the per yr salaries of their new deals).  Both will probably be in the 6 year $200M+ range. Which will of course put the ball in the Cowboys court on their decision with Dak.

The one major drawback of hitting the lottery on a non 1st round starting QB is not having that 5th year of their rookie contract to spreadout their new money. It caused Seattle to pretty much destroy their championship team to make room for Wilson's new money. And it's also the reason that the Redskins were in constant indecision mode about what to do with Cousins after his rookie deal expired.

We're sort of caught in the middle between what Seattle and the Redskins faced. We didn't achieve the ultimate that Seattle reached to make the decision a no brainer and we haven't been completely meh like what the Redskins were with Cousins.  That being said I have a feeling we're gonna go the way of the Redskins (at least for this upcoming season) and franchise Dak rather than giving him a new contract.  Just kick the can down the road in hopes of gathering more data. I can't really say I disagree with this strategy.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Wentz is clearly better than Dak and it isn’t even close IMO. If Dak went through what Wentz did with having absolutely no healthy weapons, he would’ve gotten exposed. I’ll give you cousins, Jimmy G, and Goff as similar guys, but the Goff contract was fucking terrible. Dak is going to want more than Goff. You can’t just give him more because the rams made a terrible decision. 

3 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Wentz is clearly better than Dak and it isn’t even close IMO. If Dak went through what Wentz did with having absolutely no healthy weapons, he would’ve gotten exposed. I’ll give you cousins, Jimmy G, and Goff as similar guys, but the Goff contract was fucking terrible. Dak is going to want more than Goff. You can’t just give him more because the rams made a terrible decision. 

I'm just not impressed. Seems most of his passes are short timing routes. I guess it works in that offense, but doesn't impress me all that much when trying to sort out who is "elite" as a QB and who is not quite there.

Edited by 'stache

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Dak just put up great numbers

great numbers against doormats and in garbage time of horrible games during an 8-8 season.  he was not a good quarterback this past year.  wentz would have gone 12-4 in dak’s situation, and dak would have gone 2-14 playing for the eagles.  wentz is much, much better, and it’s not up for discussion. 

Edited by futureman

3 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I put that more on coaching.  I'm interested to see what Dak can do with a real coaching staff.

19 minutes ago, Hate said:

I put that more on coaching.  I'm interested to see what Dak can do with a real coaching staff.

Possibly, but coaching doesn’t make you more accurate, and Dak is in the bottom half of starting QBs in the league when it comes to pure accuracy (and I’m not talking completion percentage. I’m talking hitting your wr in stride the majority of the time exactly like you want to). 

Now it could make him more of a willing runner, because I swear. I don’t know if Garrett was encouraging Dak not to run, or if Dak was out to prove to everyone that he didn’t have to run to be successful, but IMO Dak has no chance at being the kind of qb worthy of that contract if he isn’t going to be more of a willing runner. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t advocate ditching Dak. I advocate paying him. I’m just realistic about his place in the pecking order; it’s 10-13. Was probably 13 or worse last year and with statistical improvement probably 10 this year. Pay that man his money. But I’d try to do a $25MM per deal or franchise him first. 

Well no shit. I’m all in if 25mil a year would get it done. But i don’t even know if 35mil a year gets it done, and I sure as fuck don’t feel comfortable with that. Money is the only reason I’m not sold on Dak. 

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Possibly, but coaching doesn’t make you more accurate, and Dak is in the bottom half of starting QBs in the league when it comes to pure accuracy (and I’m not talking completion percentage. I’m talking hitting your wr in stride the majority of the time exactly like you want to). 

Now it could make him more of a willing runner, because I swear. I don’t know if Garrett was encouraging Dak not to run, or if Dak was out to prove to everyone that he didn’t have to run to be successful, but IMO Dak has no chance at being the kind of qb worthy of that contract if he isn’t going to be more of a willing runner. 

You don't know this. In fact there are stats available that dispute this claim. Let's face it, most of us don't watch other QBs as closely as we watch Dak. And we don't live and die with every pass they make, so their off target throws don't register in our memory banks as firmly as Dak's do.  

27 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

You don't know this. In fact there are stats available that dispute this claim. Let's face it, most of us don't watch other QBs as closely as we watch Dak. And we don't live and die with every pass they make, so their off target throws don't register in our memory banks as firmly as Dak's do.  

You’re not wrong, but I watch a lot more football outside of just cowboys games. I’m not going to pretend like I’m some expert, but I’m just going off what I see, and what people who watch football for a living say. My opinion isn’t exactly an unpopular opinion. I would say it’s probably the majority opinion. And what stats are you referring to, just out of curiosity. Because completion percentage can lie when it comes to accuracy. Just because you’re completing passes doesn’t mean you’re throwing an accurate ball. I know it does by definition, but you know what I mean lol. 

5 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

You’re not wrong, but I watch a lot more football outside of just cowboys games. I’m not going to pretend like I’m some expert, but I’m just going off what I see, and what people who watch football for a living say. My opinion isn’t exactly an unpopular opinion. I would say it’s probably the majority opinion. And what stats are you referring to, just out of curiosity. Because completion percentage can lie when it comes to accuracy. Just because you’re completing passes doesn’t mean you’re throwing an accurate ball. I know it does by definition, but you know what I mean lol. 

I've had this conversation before, but much more granular data exist beyond just completion %. I'd have to dig it up,  but in the season thread I had this very same discussion with someone else and we pulled the data on on-target throws (ie good and bad completions) and Dak was firmly within the top 10 in the league in the on-target category.  Now this admittedly may have been before his late season slump so he may not have finished there, but at one point during the season Dak compared favorably to his peers. 

8 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

@youdunnf'dup according to pro football reference and their on target % Dak was 7th in the in on target %.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing_advanced.htm

053d8ddfb6b9cbc81031c4d76983956e.jpg

Fair enough. I don’t know enough about how they come up with those numbers to dispute them, so I’ll take you (and them) at your word. With that being said, I do laugh at the idea that Dak and Flacco are more accurate than Pat mahomes. Or that Kyle Allen is more accurate than Matt Ryan. Really makes you wonder how they came up with these numbers, but again, I don’t know enough to dispute them.

20 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Fair enough. I don’t know enough about how they come up with those numbers to dispute them, so I’ll take you (and them) at your word. With that being said, I do laugh at the idea that Dak and Flacco are more accurate than Pat mahomes. Or that Kyle Allen is more accurate than Matt Ryan. Really makes you wonder how they came up with these numbers, but again, I don’t know enough to dispute them.

Even I look at these stats with a side eye, but when I initially saw them it made me rethink my feelings on Dak. Granted, there's probably more data out there that I'm not aware of that boils this down even further. There are so many outfits nowadays charging money for data that analyzes the type of stuff you were alluding to up board, but I don't have access to it. Of the databases I do have access to Dak rates far better than what you or I would believe based on the eye test. 

On 1/9/2020 at 6:31 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

Cousins is 1-1 in the playoffs in 5 years’ starting, 4 for a terrible Skins franchise. 

Dak is 1-2 in 4 years’ starting for a much more talented Cowboys team. 

Shut the fuck up. 

You say the terrible redskins, but he got to work with Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay. He didn’t have dominant weapons, but in hindsight he had two of the best offensive minds in the sport coaching him. Dak hasn’t had that, because the jury is definitely still out on Kellen Moore.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

On 1/9/2020 at 9:24 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

With Brady and Brees and Rodgers in decline, and Lamar having done his thing for one year, I think it’s clear Mahomes is in a league by himself, possibly with Russell. If you want to put the other 4 guys in that top tier, to the extent the other 3 remain in the league next year, that’s appropriate. Those are your six Tier 1 guys.

You’ve got a bunch of guys in Tier 2. Cousins, Dak, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Allen, Goff, Wentz, Ryan, Carr, Garappolo, Watson, Mayfield, Murray, Winston. The latter three are probably Tier 3 right now. I take Cousins, Ryan, Watson, Carr, Wentz and Goff, all over Dak. Rivers and Roethlisberger are too old and have declined too much. Allen and Garappolo may be better now but need more seasoning. I think Cousins, Ryan and Watson are clearly ahead of Dak and you could make a strong argument Dak is better than  Carr, Wentz and Goff. I just wouldn’t buy it. 

Russ is probably the best QB in the league right now when you consider everything.  His offensive scheme is fucking terrible and it puts so much pressure on him to bail the Seahags out particularly on 3rd downs.  Seattle's really not that great a team but they have a wizard in his prime bailing them out 4-5 games a season.  

I also very much wonder if Goff and Mayfield are considered tier 2 guys at this point.  Goff is a solid enough bus driver but when things break down for him, he struggles to be competent, not even good.  Baker took a pretty big step back this year.  I don't think most people would take Goff over Dak at this point, and I highly doubt Carr, who did some good things this year with limited resources, but also melted down a lot at the end of games.  I don't know what to do with Allen, he probably has the widest variance of opinions.  He still is a pretty poor passer of the ball, but his athleticism and running ability add a lot of value.  Still makes too many bone headed plays though.  Don't think it's very clear about Cousins vs Dak, at all.

On 1/9/2020 at 7:31 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

Cousins is 1-1 in the playoffs in 5 years’ starting, 4 for a terrible Skins franchise. 

Dak is 1-2 in 4 years’ starting for a much more talented Cowboys team. 

Shut the fuck up. 

Cousins has started 24 more games or a season and half more than Dak and is a full 5 years older.  He's played in 93 games vs Dak's 64 (reg season).  Not sure all GM's would prefer Cousins at this point.  Some probably would, but some would probably prefer Dak.  Surprisingly, Cousins will be 32 next season so he's in his prime.

Dak ain't at the top tier of NFL QBs but any of you that want to continue to compare him and in particular his playoff performances unfavorably to Kirk Cousins after that limp dick turd of a playoff performance he just turned in are fucking retards. 

Lol at the Cousins dick lickers.

40 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Dak ain't at the top tier of NFL QBs but any of you that want to continue to compare him and in particular his playoff performances unfavorably to Kirk Cousins after that limp dick turd of a playoff performance he just turned in are fucking retards. 

35 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Lol at the Cousins dick lickers.

Funny what happens when your running game is nonexistent and you have to play from behind or attempt to carry your team all game. Hmm, I can’t put my finger on it but I’ve heard that story before. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

On 1/8/2020 at 4:39 PM, futureman said:

vintage vic mackey if I’ve ever seen’t it.  cheers, buddy. 

Lmao. 

Lamar Jackson elite.

Imagine Dak playing this god awful in a playoff game...Don't forget his first playoff game last year, too. Both home games.

Tell me what Lamar is better at than Dak. I'll wait...

I don't hate Lamar but holy shit the crowning of this dude after one single season was a bit much. Now Mahomes is a different story. He will be the truth. Lamar, who knows but so far his playoff history is god awful.

Edited by Vic Mackey

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

11-2.

How can an elite and god like QB in Lamar lose like that? He was supposed to one of the best ever according to so many, including people in this thread.

Imagine if Dak's first 2 playoff games were as bad as his. His first playoff game might be the worst ever for any qB ever in a playoff game.

Tannehil is elite. He’s a winner. Better than Romo.

Thats what you guys sound like when you see only play-off success. There are other things involved than qb, like coaching and defense. Shit like this just confirms to me that ginger literally wasted Romo’s career and tried to hang around long enough to guarantee failure for Dak.

C37C9663-58DE-4FF2-B705-EF9AAF546180.jpeg

Edited by 'stache

The Cowboys could have been like the Titans. Squeak into the playoffs at 9-7 with a 90m running back and a fairly mobile healthy qb (Titans only asked Tannehill to pass 14 times) and a few quality weapons WR/TE...but there is a huge glaring difference. HC. Also the NFC this year is a lot weaker imo than the AFC. I’m not saying SF isn’t good but I imagine if Vrabel plays them in the SB (provided that’s the NFC opponent and Titans best the Texans/or/KC) Vrabel will have a game plan in place that so far his players have executed vs the Pats and the Ravens in the playoffs. Since Mariota was pulled in October the Titans have done quite well.

Vrabel appears to be the real deal. JG is not and never has been. To say he squandered Room’s talent it too limiting. He squandered loads of talent. But honestly the blame falls squarely on JJ for keeping his “pet rock” too long. Shouldn’t JG have a job by now? I thought he was in high demand. We could have been the Titans this year but we were not. 

30 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Tannehil is elite. He’s a winner. Better than Romo.

Thats what you guys sound like when you see only play-off success. There are other things involved than qb, like coaching and defense. Shit like this just confirms to me that ginger literally wasted Romo’s career and tried to hang around long enough to guarantee failure for Dak.

C37C9663-58DE-4FF2-B705-EF9AAF546180.jpeg

Tannehill was also balling the fuck out during the 2nd half of the regular season. When you have a dominant running game, a few decent weapons on the outside, and a solid defense, about 60% of the qbs in the league could do what he’s doing. Dak falls in that same category. The titans were a qb away from being special. Who knows how good their record would’ve been if Tannehill was the guy in training camp and from week 1.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Funny what happens when your running game is nonexistent and you have to play from behind or attempt to carry your team all game. Hmm, I can’t put my finger on it but I’ve heard that story before. 

Funny what happens when your shitty qb allows the defense to pin their ears back against the run.

17 minutes ago, Deej said:

Funny what happens when your shitty qb allows the defense to pin their ears back against the run.

Can’t tell if you’re talking about Cousins, or Dak (honestly). Because that happened to us a FUCK ton this year. Zeke and the oline didn’t have their best year, but they’re still some of the best in the NFL at what they do. They just weren’t THE best this year for the first time in Dak’s career, and it showed in every game against a competent defense. Except Minnesota, oddly enough. But Cousins played well in that game too. They’re both mediocre qbs that you can win with if everything around them is in place. Neither is shitty. Neither is particularly good. Neither has shown evidence that they can be elite at any point in their careers. They both have their moments, and their wtf moments 

Edited by youdunnf'dup