Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

12 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

As a Cowboys fan, the best moment from today's games was this:

How 'bout them Cowboys!!

Fucking dusty in here...

I joke with my dad every year, if he couldnt just gotten my mom pregnant like 6 years earlier, I would’ve really been able to enjoy those cowboys years. I was fucking 4 years old when they won that super bowl in ‘95. I just want to know what it feels like lol.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 2

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Fucking dusty in here...

I joke with my dad every year, if he couldnt just gotten my mom pregnant like 6 years earlier, I would’ve really been able to enjoy those cowboys years. I was fucking 4 years old when they won that super bowl in ‘95. I just want to know what it feels like lol.

my sports consciousness began in the car with my dad listening on the radio as the lions kicked our ass out of the playoffs in early ‘92.  that’s my first sports memory.  I started watching the games that next season and just figured having the greatest team in the history of the sport was par for the course for dallas fans.  thanks, jimmy.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

3 of the 4 coaches in the conference championships next week are in their first years.

LaFleur - 1st year

Vrabel - 2nd year

Shanahan - 3rd year

They didn't need a decade long process....

You're just not taking the long view. If Jason had been allowed to complete his twenty-year process, we'd have been a process-oriented juggernaut.*

* Not that we'd actually have won a title, but we could explain why we hadn't better than anyone.

19 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

3 of the 4 coaches in the conference championships next week are in their first years.

LaFleur - 1st year

Vrabel - 2nd year

Shanahan - 3rd year

They didn't need a decade long process....

exactly,  because the owners/GMs of those franchises didn't want the credit for "molding the coach" they wanted credit for helping the team win.

Lafleur is riding Rodgers a bit but the other 2 guys are doing this from scratch.

Xavier Woods speaking out on Undisputed. Saying while they liked Garrett, they needed a new energy. He said that more than once. And they need an upgrade on their defensive approach. Especially when it comes to mixing up coverages. Also said it was mostly the players at fault for the poor tackling all season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

And how many NFC championships has the other team in this clip been to since this game? 7?

I was there. Great day. There was confusion in my section of the stands for a minute because a guy with a radio at the game thought he'd heard that the Indianapolis Hail Mary had been caught for a touchdown. So for about 5 minutes we thought we were playing for the right to face the Colts in the Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

zeke’s contract is on jerry’s mt rushmore of inexcusable decisions with joey galloway, mojo roy williams, and a vacant spot that will be filled by dak prescott’s dumb face in short order. 

I think even he would say that. He got fooled by last years roster, thought we had the team in place, and the most important piece of the offense is like “nope, not playing”. I think his gut told him Pollard would be fine for the first 3 games, but he wanted Zeke ready for the “tough stretch” were we ultimately lost 3 in a row with him on the field lol. 

10 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I think even he would say that. He got fooled by last years roster, thought we had the team in place, and the most important piece of the offense is like “nope, not playing”. I think his gut told him Pollard would be fine for the first 3 games, but he wanted Zeke ready for the “tough stretch” were we ultimately lost 3 in a row with him on the field lol. 

It's almost like you are saying Jerry isn't a football guy

If nothing else, I am glad we pretty much gutted the entire coaching staff. Would not have minded to see Moore go either but I guess McCarthy saw him as an asset and keep him around. But McCarthy will be the one installing the offense and calling the plays. Which I don't have a problem with at right now. We will see how it goes.

Edited by Vic Mackey

51 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

If nothing else, I am glad we pretty much gutted the entire coaching staff. Would not have minded to see Moore go either but I guess McCarthy saw him as an asset and keep him around. But McCarthy will be the one installing the offense and calling the plays. Which I don't have a problem with at right now. We will see how it goes.

As long as we got rid of Garrett and Marinelli. I'm ok with keeping Moore

Looks to me like McCarthy sucked ass at Green Bay. In one fucking year, a ROOKIE coach turned McCarthy's stinking pile of shit around and they're playing for the NFC championship. Tell me again why we hired this fuck.

"The Packers, coming off consecutive losing seasons, and with their last playoff appearance (the 2016 NFC title game) a fading memory, had fallen far behind the times."

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/48503/from-president-to-players-how-packers-got-back-to-nfc-title-game

21 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Looks to me like McCarthy sucked ass at Green Bay. In one fucking year, a ROOKIE coach turned McCarthy's stinking pile of shit around and they're playing for the NFC championship. Tell me again why we hired this fuck.

"The Packers, coming off consecutive losing seasons, and with their last playoff appearance (the 2016 NFC title game) a fading memory, had fallen far behind the times."

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/48503/from-president-to-players-how-packers-got-back-to-nfc-title-game

he locked himself in a barn for a year, all is well 

39 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

McCarthy sucked at GB because his last few years weren't good? Hmmm that is kind of a weird way to sum up his career. He won a Super Bowl and went to 3 other NFC title games. Andy Reid's last season with Philly was 4-12. Didn't Chip Kelly immediately turn it around and they won the East? Does that mean Reid sucked in Philly And Andy Reid has did well for himself in KC.

Also, in 2017, Rodgers got hurt. For an extended period of time. When the team was built around him, yeah, they are going to falter. 

How many head coaches presently coaching besides Bill have more than one Super Bowl win as a head coach? I'm trying to think of some but can't. Hell how many have even been to more than one? Tomlin?

If you aren't the Patriots, getting to Super Bowls is hard and winning them is even harder.

Let's see what GB does this weekend? If they lose to SF, well this coach did the same shit McCarthy did.

GB finally woke up and realized a run game and defense was needed. Something they rarely had before.

• Like 1

Rodgers actually had a better season last year. Beyond that, Ted Thompson sucked in the draft and doubled up his lack of drafting prowess by being notoriously unaggressive on the free agent market.  The Packers signed more quality free agents last off-season than they did in McCarthy's last 3 years combined.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

GB's defense got a lot better as well.  Their defense was not very good at all the last few years.  They got rid of Clay Mathews and brought in the Smith duo which helped.  Who would have thought bringing in solid FA's at position of need would make you better?

8 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Rodgers actually had a better season last year. Beyond that, Ted Thompson sucked in the draft and doubled up his lack of drafting prowess by being notoriously unaggressive on the free agent market.  The Packers signed more quality free agents last off-season than they did in McCarthy's last 3 years combined.

Doesn't the coach usually have a big say in how the team drafts? The GM may know football, but when his head coach says "I need this", he's going to get some attention. So McCarthy probably did a Jason Garrett - We're good Jerry. Next year will be great. Move that genius Kellen Moore from QB coach (where he failed to push Dak into more runs in the playoffs) to OC. See how I'm saving you money, Uncle Jerry?

It makes sense that GB brought in some good players, otherwise you could conclude that ALL the pieces were already there, just McCarthy didn't know how to put them together. Nevertheless, he looks like a weak hire. We'll be a little better next year - while six or seven NFL teams will be a lot better. Keeping Moore as OC is the giveaway. Even if McCarthy  wants to call the plays, he could have brought in someone with fresh ideas that didn't have Garrett's stink all over them. In lieu of that, I guess we have our new Tendencies Team. Jeez.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Doesn't the coach usually have a big say in how the team drafts? The GM may know football, but when his head coach says "I need this", he's going to get some attention. So McCarthy probably did a Jason Garrett - We're good Jerry. Next year will be great. Move that genius Kellen Moore from QB coach (where he failed to push Dak into more runs in the playoffs) to OC. See how I'm saving you money, Uncle Jerry?

It makes sense that GB brought in some good players, otherwise you could conclude that ALL the pieces were already there, just McCarthy didn't know how to put them together. Nevertheless, he looks like a weak hire. We'll be a little better next year - while six or seven NFL teams will be a lot better. Keeping Moore as OC is the giveaway. Even if McCarthy  wants to call the plays, he could have brought in someone with fresh ideas that didn't have Garrett's stink all over them. In lieu of that, I guess we have our new Tendencies Team. Jeez.

Depends on the coach and the GM.  Ideally they are on the same page, but there are plenty of obvious examples of situations that are less than ideal.  Even excluding Jones and the Cowboys there are numerous rifts through out the league between coach and GM.

10 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

2016 is a "fading memory"? Dear lord, sports fans are getting worse and worse. Yeah, his team struggled for two seasons, and they found a good young coach. My preference would have been to go younger. But to pretend that we just hired some notorious loser is just stupid and inaccurate. I'll give it a chance, and I hope that he's on a short leash since he doesn't have the "son" connection to Jerry that kept ginger around 4 years too long.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 'stache said:

2016 is a "fading memory"? Dear lord, sports fans are getting worse and worse. Yeah, his team struggled for two seasons, and they found a good young coach. My preference would have been to go younger. But to pretend that we just hired some notorious loser is just stupid and inaccurate. I'll give it a chance, and I hope that he's on a short leash since he doesn't have the "son" connection to Jerry that kept ginger around 4 years too long.

It's such a strange dynamic that the typical NFL fan is superbowl or bust in an era where outside of one organization you are lucky if you even sniff a supebowl.  How does this fan reconcile that outside of Patriots all the other franchises are failing year end and year out while also simultaneously pumping up those other coaches and players as the best in the league?

The key part of that quote from ESPN is that "the Packers... had fallen far behind." 

In two years... It all just smells like more Jason Garrett to me. When Belichick loses players and coaches - he just fixes what is broken. McCarthy, not so much.

At least we've got the Tendencies Team to set us above mukluks like Shanahan, who still rely on their minds and intuition. Maybe Jerry Jones can give a computer print out to Big Mike before each game telling him how many of each type of play should be run. It's gonna be awesome. By the end of the year, McCarthy's supercomputer will be singing "Daisy, Daisy".

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

4 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

The key part of that quote from ESPN is that "the Packers... had fallen far behind." 

In two years... It all just smells like more Jason Garrett to me. When Belichick loses players and coaches - he just fixes what is broken. McCarthy, not so much.

At least we've got the Tendencies Team to set us above mukluks like Shanahan, who still rely on their minds and intuition. Maybe Jerry Jones can give a computer print out to Big Mike before each game telling him how many of each type of play should be run. It's gonna be awesome. By the end of the year, McCarthy's supercomputer will be singing "Daisy, Daisy".

Again, comparing your coach to Bill Belichik is pointless. He's the best coach ever.

The Saints fell off after they won the Super Bowl at one point, were not good at all. And they got back just fine. Who cares what Belichik does. If you are going to compare your coach to him, you will drive yourself crazy and think every coach sucks. Unless you are the Patriots, you are going trough ups and downs. Jim Harbaugh is another example. They won it all in 2012. And didn't do much after that and now they were back to being on top. You act like it's not possible to come back after a few years. McCarthy was in the NFC title game less than 2 years before he got fired.

More Jason Garrett? Lol. Jason Garrett's resume does not even come close to McCarthy's. Like not even close. At all.