Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/15/2020 at 8:42 AM, mdmost said:

Cliff Harris was finally inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. 

I love Cliff Harris, but man, Drew must have screwed a lot of HOF voters wives to not get in first...a looooong time ago. I never really thought Cliff would get in. Lee Roy Jordan should have been in first as well.

Just now, anacardo said:

how is it possible that I can be getting sucked into the idea that Mike McCarthy might be a good coach for us

how 

Time will tell but the good thing is we gutted the entire staff besides Kellen. I was worried a coach would be hired and we'd have a lot of leftovers because Jerry loves his guys. Nope. McCarthy got everyone he wanted. These players need new voices.

I'm pretty optimistic he can be mcuh better than Garrett was. It's not fair to him to call him some Garrett clone. Garrett was fucking awful and wasted so many careers. Go look at the offensive talent Garrett has had here since becoming OC and we never even got past the divisional round.

So the control freak coach who famously said he'll never give up play calling again after briefly experimenting with it is now all of a sudden, in his 2nd chance at being a head coach, giving it over to a 3rd year coach? One that he's never coached or coached with any any point?

Yeah, sorry but that has Jerry demand in exchange for being hired written all over it. Mike, hate to tell you but history says that's the guy who will back stab you if you don't win it all by year 2, and at the first losing streak come year 3 will be replacing you. 

If the niners win it all it'll be interesting in that they followed the Patriots plan of hiring a coach and letting the coach hire the GM that will scout and get the type of players the coach wants. The exact opposite of Jerry Jones. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

More grim info... I can't decide whether to laugh or cry:

What Happened in Green Bay.     https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

f3d596016b5353442ff3e4de38b94ce1_crop_ex

But how far back do you have to go to find the beginning of the end?

Was it Week 3 of the 2017 season, when cameras caught Rodgers barking "Stupid fucking call!" at his coach?

Or back further, to the NFC Championship Game on Jan. 18, 2015, when McCarthy coached with the ferocity of a sloth, calling for field goals from the 1-yard line twice in the first half and then running three straight times with five minutes left to infuriate his QB and effectively euthanize a Super Bowl season?

(snip)...one person who was then close to Rodgers remembers he would regularly call to vent that McCarthy didn't have a clue what he was doing. He'd tell him that McCarthy frequently called the wrong play. That he used the wrong personnel. That they were running plays that worked one out of 50 times in practice. That McCarthy was a buffoon he was constantly bailing out.

"Mike has a low football IQ, and that used to always bother Aaron," this source says. "He'd say Mike has one of the lowest IQs, if not the lowest IQ, of any coach he's ever had."

(Sounds pretty plausible to me)

(snip)...Where Jermichael Finley, a Packers tight end from 2008 to 2013, sees a self-entitled quarterback and bad leader, Grant thinks it's idiotic for anyone to complain about such a transcendent talent. Where Greg Jennings, a Packers receiver from 2006 to 2012, sees Rodgers as an ultrasensitive source of toxicity, others lambast McCarthy for wasting a gift from the football gods.

McCarthy sounds like a Jason Garrett who got stupider and fatter... and older. I want my money back.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

That article makes Rodgers seem worse than McCarthy. A QB with excuses when things aren’t rolling, which happens sometimes to even the best of franchises. “When we’re wining it’s all me, when we’re losing it’s all him.” What a prick. I’m not necessarily sold but I’m going to give him a chance.

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

That article makes Rodgers seem worse than McCarthy. A QB with excuses when things aren’t rolling, which happens sometimes to even the best of franchises. “When we’re wining it’s all me, when we’re losing it’s all him.” What a prick. I’m not necessarily sold but I’m going to give him a chance.

I suspect that if McCarthy had continued to do a halfway decent job that Rodgers would have gone on just as he had in the past, and just as he is doing today - keeping his opinions to himself, but it looks pretty obvious to me that McCarthy was the whole fucking reason this team went down the tubes, and if you're the SB-winning QB watching the clusterfuck unfold, you're going to say something. If you watched your Coach call shit play after shit play, and in your opinion he had the lowest IQ of any coach you had ever known, you've got to say something. With what, six or seven HC openings in the NFL, did anybody else even interview this guy? And it sure looks like getting McCarthy out of the way was all that was needed to get GB back to championship form.

I'll give him a chance too, but will the team? How much respect will he command when they figure out he's running Jason Garrett's fucking offense and Aaron Rodgers used to scream fucks at him on the sidelines? I'm done on dissing the guy. It's the Jones Boys who really deserve our scorn.

16 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

(snip)...Where Jermichael Finley, a Packers tight end from 2008 to 2013, sees a self-entitled quarterback and bad leader, Grant thinks it's idiotic for anyone to complain about such a transcendent talent. Where Greg Jennings, a Packers receiver from 2006 to 2012, sees Rodgers as an ultrasensitive source of toxicity, others lambast McCarthy for wasting a gift from the football gods.

McCarthy sounds like a Jason Garrett who got stupider and fatter... and older. I want my money back.

Weird final conclusion right after you pasted a part where they talked about multiple Rodgers teammates who think he's a cancer.

13 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I suspect that if McCarthy had continued to do a halfway decent job that Rodgers would have gone on just as he had in the past, and just as he is doing today - keeping his opinions to himself, but it looks pretty obvious to me that McCarthy was the whole fucking reason this team went down the tubes, and if you're the SB-winning QB watching the clusterfuck unfold, you're going to say something. If you watched your Coach call shit play after shit play, and in your opinion he had the lowest IQ of any coach you had ever known, you've got to say something. With what, six or seven HC openings in the NFL, did anybody else even interview this guy? And it sure looks like getting McCarthy out of the way was all that was needed to get GB back to championship form.

I'll give him a chance too, but will the team? How much respect will he command when they figure out he's running Jason Garrett's fucking offense and Aaron Rodgers used to scream fucks at him on the sidelines? I'm done on dissing the guy. It's the Jones Boys who really deserve our scorn.

Funny how "shit play calling" got them to 4 NFC title games and a super bowl title. Funny how Rodgers is a known self-important arrogant prick, but we're taking his word on what "shit play calling" is, especially after what we just read from teammates calling him "toxic". Funny how two subpar seasons to end a 13 year tenure are supposed to define the coach. I can't believe that anyone on this board of all places would be taking Rodgers' side of this nonsense.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Funny how "shit play calling" got them to 4 NFC title games and a super bowl title. Funny how Rodgers is a known self-important arrogant prick, but we're taking his word on what "shit play calling" is, especially after what we just read from teammates calling him "toxic". Funny how two subpar seasons to end a 13 year tenure are supposed to define the coach. I can't believe that anyone on this board of all places would be taking Rodgers' side of this nonsense.

But to defend his point, after McCarthy left the Packers jumped from #12 in total offense all the way up to *checks notes* #18 this season.

Edited by Huckleberry

29 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What's more likely in getting to those title games - a coach bailing out the QB with brilliant play calling, or a brilliant QB bailing out shit play calling by a mediocre coach?

35 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Weird final conclusion right after you pasted a part where they talked about multiple Rodgers teammates who think he's a cancer.

From what I read, it sounded more like McCarthy was the problem. Rodgers may be a pile of shit, but that POS is going to once again be in the NFC championship game this weekend. I guess the cancer got cured when the Pack got a first year fucking head coach.

7 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

What's more likely in getting to those title games - a coach bailing out the QB with brilliant play calling, or a brilliant QB bailing out shit play calling by a mediocre coach?

From what I read, it sounded more like McCarthy was the problem. Rodgers may be a pile of shit, but that POS is going to once again be in the NFC championship game this weekend. I guess the cancer got cured when the Pack got a first year fucking head coach.

There's your problem. Stop fucking reading tabloid trash. And what exactly was "the" problem? Two subpar years after a NFC title appearance in 2016? Give me a fucking break. 

What's "most likely" is that a good coach had a good QB and both were key to their success. But I guess that doesn't make for good tabloid fodder.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 'stache said:

47 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Rodgers own family doesn't even fucking like him.  Seems like McCarthy finally gave up and said, "Hell if you're running the show( with constant audibles, ) then fucking run it, BigBoy."

how is anyone that was around for the 2005 Rose Bowl selection surprised by this?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DougO said:

Kellen should have been the first to go. Unfortunately, he's being groomed by Jerry to take the Jason Garrett role in a couple of years.

Why? He hasn't even had a chance to prove himself at all. He worked under Garrett. No OC will ever succeed under there because it's a toxic situation. Maybe he will end up being a bust, who knows. But I don't mind seeing him get to prove himself under someone other than Garrett. Maybe with an offensive scheme that actually adheres to the talent we have and not one set scheme that will be run no matter who the talent is. Which is what we have been doing since 2007. Kellen will now be calling plays from McCarthy's system, not Garrett's. That is already an improvement. Kellen was in the situation of asking a chef to make a gourmet meal out of shit. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Why? He hasn't even had a chance to prove himself at all. He worked under Garrett. No OC will ever succeed under there because it's a toxic situation. Maybe he will end up being a bust, who knows. But I don't mind seeing him get to prove himself under someone other than Garrett. Maybe with an offensive scheme that actually adheres to the talent we have and not one set scheme that will be run no matter who the talent is. Which is what we have been doing since 2007. Kellen will now be calling plays from McCarthy's system, not Garrett's. That is already an improvement. Kellen was in the situation of asking a chef to make a gourmet meal out of shit. 

agreed.  We haven't seen the real Kellen Moore yet.  Given the situation in its entirety, make it his show this year.  There are weapons...

3 hours ago, Shaddie said:

Moore is not a good choice “yet”. 

During the firing of JG he told Jerrah a lot of the issues on O were that Moore was given autonomy on it. Not sure if that is true or not but knowing idiot Jerrah it would not surprise me. 

Ask Garrett if Kellen Moore calling plays was the reason the defense went to shit. Moore wasn’t perfect at all, but for a first year coordinator/play caller, I would say he did pretty well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Ask Garrett if Kellen Moore calling plays was the reason the defense went to shit. Moore wasn’t perfect at all, but for a first year coordinator/play caller, I would say he did pretty well.

Damn. My memory is going. I don’t remember saying anything about D. I will have to go back reread my post. 

Lmao. Garrett goes from being the HC of the Cowboys for damn near a decade to OC under first year coach Joe Judge. With a lot less talent on offense to work with. 

And if I was Judge, I'd keep an eye on Garrett. He already sabotaged the offense on purpose to get Wade fired in Dallas. He will for sure try and do that again. He's a piece of shit like that. But I hope he realizes that in NY, he won't get a decade to learn on the job like he did in Dallas. They will fire him and not think anything of it. Wish nothing but failure for him.

Edited by Vic Mackey

21 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

With a lot less talent on offense to work with. 

nope. 

daniel jones is considerably more talented than rayne.  barkley is better than zeke.  their TE is much better than whatever it is that we’re running out there.  and we’re losing cooper, our best offensive player.

Edited by futureman

29 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lmao. Garrett goes from being the HC of the Cowboys for damn near a decade to OC under first year coach Joe Judge. With a lot less talent on offense to work with. 

So Jerry Jones' head fucking coach for ten fucking years is going to be an offensive coordinator for a first year HC. You must be so proud Jerry, you impeccable judge of talent. What an inspirational owner. Lets an entire team, city and nation full of fans suffer through ten years of heartache while you try to get blood from a fucking turnip. If the Cowboys are cursed, that curse is Jerry Fucking Jones.

10 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

So Jerry Jones' head fucking coach for ten fucking years is going to be an offensive coordinator for a first year HC. You must be so proud Jerry, you impeccable judge of talent. What an inspirational owner. Lets an entire team, city and nation full of fans suffer through ten years of heartache while you try to get blood from a fucking turnip. If the Cowboys are cursed, that curse is Jerry Fucking Jones.

lulz.  did you like those three super bowls?

1 hour ago, Shaddie said:

Where did I say you mentioned the defense though? I’m fucking lost, man. It just seemed like Garrett was making a lot of excuses for being 8-8, and his defense was a bigger problem than his offense. That’s what i was getting at with my post. Did you really not understand that?

24 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Lol, have fun watching any and all potential Daniel Jones might have go away. Fuck the gints.

I actually expect he’ll be a good OC. He’s a poor mans Wade Phillips at this point. A guy who will be a respected coordinator for the rest of his nfl coaching career, but will never get another shot as a HC. Plenty of coaches a lot worse than him have gone back to being successful coordinators

1 hour ago, futureman said:

and we’re losing cooper, our best offensive player.

They're not losing Cooper.

So, in a hypothetical (and, frankly, unlikely) example in which neither Prescott nor Cooper is signed to a long-term extension by the end of the 2019 season and no new CBA is negotiated by next March, the Cowboys would have the ability to keep both of those players off the open market by designating one a franchise player and the other a transition player.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26073422/nfl-cba-quirks-a-big-effect-2020-offseason

10 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Where did I say you mentioned the defense though? I’m fucking lost, man. It just seemed like Garrett was making a lot of excuses for being 8-8, and his defense was a bigger problem than his offense. That’s what i was getting at with my post. Did you really not understand that?

I will spell slowly so you can understand. 

Supposedly Moore had a lot of autonomy as OC. The offense wasn’t good. You brought up D. 

1 minute ago, Shaddie said:

Supposedly Moore had a lot of autonomy as OC. The offense wasn’t good. You brought up D. 

If you didn't detect Jason Garrett's influence on the offense/ game planning/ in-game adjustments; then you haven't been around more than a year.  Either that, or Moore is an exact replica of the ginger.  There is no fucking way...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Shaddie said:

I will spell slowly so you can understand. 

You want to say the offense wasn't good? Ok. Whatever level the offense played at, the defense/special teams was infinitely worse. Quick, name me all the big momentum changing plays the defense made this season. Special teams as well. I'll wait...

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

You want to say the offense wasn't good? Ok. Whatever level the offense played at, the defense/special teams was infinitely worse. Quick, name me all the big momentum changing plays the defense made this season. Special teams as well. I'll wait...

Jesus Christ some of you need to take a reading comprehension course.  
Go back read very slowly my post. I never said or implied D or ST were good or even avg. 

The conversation is KM a good OC. I say no. 
If somebody says DC or ST is good we can argue that. I won’t say that cause I don’t believe either of those things. 

Edited by Shaddie

5 hours ago, Iceman said:

If you didn't detect Jason Garrett's influence on the offense/ game planning/ in-game adjustments; then you haven't been around more than a year.  Either that, or Moore is an exact replica of the ginger.  There is no fucking way...

So who did KM learn from? JG. 
This is exactly the reason I don’t want him as OC. The only hope is McCarthy is the one really in control of offense. 

nope. 
daniel jones is considerably more talented than rayne.  barkley is better than zeke.  their TE is much better than whatever it is that we’re running out there.  and we’re losing cooper, our best offensive player.

Dallas has the number 1 ranked overall offense in the nfl last season and the giants were 23rd but the giants have better talent?

That must mean dallas had much superior coaching, oh wait their coaching sucks to soooo. something doesn’t add up...