Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, The Dog said:

Lol

He definitely isn’t the only person who has been pushing this rumor.

29 minutes ago, Turkleton said:

Clarence Hill from S-Telegram is reporting Dak turned down a multi year worth 33mil per. If true, then Dak needs to be traded.

WTF

Also LO fucking L. This situation is such a fucking joke. 

Mahomes is gonna get $42mil a year before Dak gets paid and Dak and his agent are gonna come back with “WeLl ThAt MeAnS wE dEsErVe $40mil/yr”

At this point, what are the odds that nobody gives in and Dak decides to hold out during training camp next year? Honest question that nobody has an answer to.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Starting quarterbacks never hold out. That's a position where you have to be there for training camp otherwise you'll really hurt your standing with the team and your chances of getting that massive contract that you want. They know that NFL teams will be very cautious about giving big money to a quarterback who has shown in the past he'll hold out and fuck the whole franchise over

15 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Starting quarterbacks never hold out. That's a position where you have to be there for training camp otherwise you'll really hurt your standing with the team and your chances of getting that massive contract that you want. They know that NFL teams will be very cautious about giving big money to a quarterback who has shown in the past he'll hold out and fuck the whole franchise over

You say that, and maybe they’re just empty threats, but his camp has made it seem like he would do that. But you’re right. I can’t remember a situation where a qb has held out.

On 2/6/2020 at 11:29 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

I would say let’s start with him proving that he doesn’t have to be carried by the talent around him. Seeing Carson Wentz do what he did this year with a practice squad group of wrs should’ve opened some eyes to the crowd that wants to give our mediocre qb $35-$40mil a year. Think about what Dak looked like in a similar situation at the beginning of 2018 (and when i say similar, I use that very loosely considering he still had prime Zeke and the best oline in football). 

I’ve heard the argument that he’s been underpaid and that’s why we have to over pay now, and that’s just laughable to me. Chunky soup, dannon yogurt, sleep number bed, and Pepsi tell me that dude is making plenty of money off the field. And for what? Because he’s got an infectious personality? Or because he’s the qb with the star on the side of his helmet?

Ive heard the “he’s never missed a game. That means something” argument. It’s professional football, man. It’s just a matter of time. The only argument is “you have to pay him whatever the fuck him and his agent want because there is no good alternative out there.” That’s the argument the blindly loyal Dak defenders on this board are saying, right? “The rams and the 49ers made dumb decisions, so we have to follow the leader. This is just what you have to do in today’s NFL.” That is beyond stupid, and even the jones family has acknowledged that with their actions so far.

You keep repeating this despite the fact that it hasn't been true in at least 2 years. And especially not the year your referencing. 

On 2/8/2020 at 3:33 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

You might be right, but I’d love to see what he’d actually look like if the TE on the other side of the field wasn’t one of the best in the league. It’s hard to game plan for two TEs like that, especially when one of them is elite.

And they basically played the exact same schedule as us, except they got Fitzpatrick instead of Josh Rosen. Not saying we would’ve lost to them, but the dolphins had no chance when they were running Rosen out there. They had a legitimate passing game with fitz. And when you factor in all the injuries they had, I came away pretty fucking impressed with Wentz last year. Still doesn’t change my opinion though. The jones family doesn’t think Dak is worth the $36-$40 mil he’s reportedly asking for. 

My biggest issue with all of this is, this isn’t about Dak being properly compensated. He makes a shit ton of money off the field with endorsements. This is all about pride. I’m not saying Dak doesn’t care about winning, because I know he does. But if that was the most important thing to him, he would’ve accepted the $32-33 mil that we offered him. The difference can be made up in the endorsements that Wentz and Goff don’t have the luxury of getting. Because, you know, they aren’t the qb of America’s team. Him and his agent have way to much pride in regards to this entire situation. We aren’t out here trying to fuck Dak over. Call it a low ball offer if you want, but they’ve offered him a fair contract. 

His agency (CAA) is the Scott Boris of the NFL. No way they allow him to take anything below market value. Of course if we wouldve signed him before he fired his previous agency early last offseason we couldve avoided all this. 

12 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

You keep repeating this despite the fact that it hasn't been true in at least 2 years. And especially not the year your referencing. 

90% of the teams in the nfl would trade their starting oline for our starting oline today. I’ve said plenty of times they declined last year, but they’re still a top 5 (and at the very least a top 10) oline. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

7 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Pretty sure Drew Brees did just that a few years ago. 

11 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The ROI on this Oline has been fucking garbage. We went all in because we thought we needed some great wall. Used so many high draft picks and extended every one of them to huge draft picks. The percentage of the cap we pay to our OL is the most in the league and by a good margin (at least it was this way a few years ago). This OL has not been dominant since 2016. Since then, it's fell off. Tyron getting hurt. Frederick out for a whole season and coming back weaker than he was. Martin getting injured. Connor being terrible. You don't need to try and get a All Pro at every OL position to have a good line. For some reason they get a pass and some people keep thinking they are great. They are average these days but we are paying them to be All Pro great.

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

His agency (CAA) is the Scott Boris of the NFL. No way they allow him to take anything below market value. 

it’s not the agent.  it’s dak.  if dak wants to take below market value it doesn’t matter who his agent is, he can tell them to do what he says.  and for the record I don’t think dak should take below market value, as the going rate for a shit quarterback is around $12-15MM per year, which seems perfectly fair. 

In 2018 they were a bottom 5 OL in sack rate. 

because of the quarterback. 

14 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Pretty sure Drew Brees did just that a few years ago. 

In 2012 he publicly threatened to hold out after being hit with the franchise tag in March but agreed to terms before training camp began. I think the same thing happened in 2016. He's come the closest I can remember of any QB but he never actually held out any of camp as far as I remember. 

Most likely the same thing happens here and Dak gets a new 35-36 a year deal in mid July. 

Edited by Junior Miller

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Scott Linehan is being hired at LSU to be their passing game coordinator.

He was pass happy in Detroit. I firmly believe that Garrett's conservative nature was Linehan's biggest issue in Dallas. Afterall, his first year in Dallas was great and fairly innovative. And he was part of the staff for a decent run in Detroit when they lost to the Saints in the playoffs. 

39 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He was pass happy in Detroit. I firmly believe that Garrett's conservative nature was Linehan's biggest issue in Dallas. Afterall, his first year in Dallas was great and fairly innovative. And he was part of the staff for a decent run in Detroit when they lost to the Saints in the playoffs. 

I can see that. I was not the biggest fan of Linehan as he sometimes became waaaay too pass happy inside the redzone when we had Zeke. I specifically remember Seattle 2017 when we needed that game to stay alive. We got inside the 5 and we passed 3 times in a row.

But in the end, Garrett handcuffed him the same way he did Kellen Moore. He was god awful and in the end, there was no more coaches to be sacrificed for his inept ability to coach.

People forget that Garrett was once considered pass happy until he wasn't. Demarco Murray averaged damn near 5 ypc while Romo was chunking it around nearly 40 times a game until Romo started getting hurt and Linehan arrived. More than anything Garrett's biggest failing is his lack of adaptability and being slow to needed change. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

People forget that Garrett was once considered pass happy until he wasn't. Demarco Murray averaged damn near 5 ypc while Romo was chunking it around nearly 40 times a game until Romo started getting hurt and Linehan arrived. More than anything Garrett's biggest failing is his lack of adaptability and being slow to needed change. 

Our coaching staffs under him had zero clue how to adapt and adjust in game. They had one single gameplan on both sides of the ball and that was it. If it didn't work, oh well. They were going to keep at it and hope for the best. Just terrible.

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Absolutely no reason to sign Byron. He's a average at best corner with no playmaking skills at all. He's a poor man's Brandon Carr. Draft his replacement and move on.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

except for his entire career at cornerback he was coached by a jackass who taught them to not play the ball but instead face guard the man. 

He'll never be even decent at playing the ball but there's a lot of value in a guy who can just blanket someone and not give up much. Especially when they have zero CBs to replace him. 

It's why 2019 was the last shot under this group. The talent level and depth goes to shit big time starting now. And they didn't even make the playoffs with a loaded roster. 

Edited by Junior Miller
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

except for his entire career at cornerback he was coached by a jackass who taught them to not play the ball but instead face guard the man. 

He'll never be even decent at playing the ball but there's a lot of value in a guy who can just blanket someone and not give up much. Especially when they have zero CBs to replace him. 

It's why 2019 was the last shot under this group. The talent level and depth goes to shit big time starting now. And they didn't even make the playoffs with a loaded roster. 

Is he blanketing the guy or does our secondary suck so much they just find easier targets and not throwing his way? Huge difference. He has 2 whole picks his entire 5 years. Sorry, I am not paying big money to a guy who maybe can cover receivers. I pay big money to a DB who can make his mark on the game and make some plays. Maybe it was the coaching. But I am not risking a big payday and hoping a new staff can make him make plays out there. Another team can pay him and find out. We have more pressing needs than Byron Jones. He should not even be on the radar to bring back. Strengthen the DT and safety positions in the draft.

This offense needs another WR maybe but as is, they have enough there. But dumb fucks don't realize this defense/special teams is so god awful, they have a negative effect on the offense. When you get zero help with field position or short fields or heaven forbid one of those units scoring points themselves, you ask the offense to drive the length of the field every god damn time and have little to no room for error.

But the backwoods morons will just be like "hurrrr durrrr Dak sucks. Replace himz and we winz!!". How about fixing this god awful defense and special teams and actually have them contribute and make plays. But no, they will just continue blaming Dak because he can't drive for 4-5 80-85yd TD drives every single game.

4 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

We wouldn't need RQ if the league would stop bullying Randy with their BS indefinite suspension.  Indefinite is unacceptable and is prob because they are too incompetent to figure out actual timelines for punishment. 

I like randy but I don't think he's ready to fill RQ's role as an every down DE.  randy would be great as a situational pass rusher and I think he's still good for 10 sacks if he plays 16 games.  incidentally, roger goodell can go fuck himself.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The Ticket was talking about Jones this morning and apparently going back to 1970 all CBs with at least 70 starts have at least 5 career interceptions except 1, and that is Byron Jones with 2.

maybe QBs just respect him more...

11224930054_5b4556290e_z.jpg