Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

So far the 2019 draft was a huge pile of shit.

NFL.com gives 2019 Dallas Cowboys rookie class the worst grade in the NFC East by far

The Cowboys are usually a good drafting team, that wasn’t the case in 2019, at least so far.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2020/2/12/21133426/nfl-com-gives-2019-dallas-cowboys-rookie-class-the-worst-grade-in-the-nfc-east-by-far

dallas.png

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what your issue with Pollard is, he showed what he can do with very limited touches...I hope we see more of him.

But when you trade your first round pick, and your next 2 picks either don't play or play very limited snaps, then no shit it wasn't great.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Drew said:

Not sure what your issue with Pollard is, he showed what he can do with very limited touches...I hope we see more of him.

But when you trade your first round pick, and your next 2 picks either don't play or play very limited snaps, then no shit it wasn't great.

Especially when the guy you traded the pick for may not be around next year. I wouldn't be shocked if they let Cooper walk. Wouldn't be that upset, either, considering his long history of disappearing for chunks of seasons and pumping up his stats in a couple of meaningless games.

5 hours ago, Drew said:

exactly.  tony pollard is exhibit A as to the idiocy of paying a RB 90M dollars.

• Like 1

Ah gotcha.  I wouldn't disagree.  I think Zeke is unique and has the best overall skillset(including blocking).  But 14 mil a year for a RB is crazy. 

People are upset about how much Dak is getting when it's Zeke and half the OL making top of their position money that's the real issue.  Most good teams do it without super high priced OL(at least not at 3 of the 5 positions) and the top paid RB.

It's 4 of the 5 OL making crazy money right? Tyron, Frederick, Martin, and now Collins. That's insane especially when they're probably 10-15th best in the league now. It's almost like the team is assembled by people that don't know what they're doing. 

Bad contracts, overpaid QB who is good but isn't elite, and the last 3 drafts being horrible is what is going to kill this team over the next few years

30 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

It's 4 of the 5 OL making crazy money right? Tyron, Frederick, Martin, and now Collins. That's insane especially when they're probably 10-15th best in the league now. It's almost like the team is assembled by people that don't know what they're doing. 

Bad contracts, overpaid QB who is good but isn't elite, and the last 3 drafts being horrible is what is going to kill this team over the next few years

And that is the reason the Cowboys cannot sniff a Super Bowl.  They have people in charge who think they know what they are doing.

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

Dak doesn't deserve even 27 mil a year tbh.

Define 'deserve'. The guy in Philly who has taken a total of 4 snaps in the playoffs and his team actually played better with his backup on the sidelines got $32million a year. Dak is better than Wentz.

$27mill and less isn't getting you shit for a QB any longer. Do y'all understand how a market works? It isn't what you think someone deserves or not. Guess what? Shit costs more these days in the past. Across the board. NFL isn't immune to that. Surly members do not set the market price. If middle of the road QBs are getting $32 a year, then the price starts there for Dak.

And in a couple of years, Dak's salary won't mean shit. Seeing as the cap continues to rise and all the contracts after his will be bigger. And his percentage against the cap will rise. 

2 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

What would Jimmy Johnson do?

1. Trade Dak and #17 to Miami for #5 and 4th rounder
2. Use #5 to draft Tua
3. Sign Tom Brady to 2 year deal
4. Super Bowl

He would definitely shake things up. Possibly trade/replace some of our overpaid/overrated OLine.

Edited by Pam Cummings

9 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

What would Jimmy Johnson do?

1. Trade Dak and #17 to Miami for #5 and 4th rounder
2. Use #5 to draft Tua
3. Sign Tom Brady to 2 year deal
4. Super Bowl

If Dak is so fucking bad, why in the world would Miami trade away from Tua for him?  This is the problem with fan bases...."Dump Dak for 2 first rounders and draft the 2nd or 3rd best QB in this draft!!!  No way he'd suck as much as Dak"

14 minutes ago, Drew said:

If Dak is so fucking bad, why in the world would Miami trade away from Tua for him?  This is the problem with fan bases...."Dump Dak for 2 first rounders and draft the 2nd or 3rd best QB in this draft!!!  No way he'd suck as much as Dak"

nobody would trade Tua for Dak.  Tua is a better NFL quarterback right now than Dak will ever be in his career. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drew said:

The Trolling...just stop.

eat a dick you fat fuckin baby.  explaining that dak isn’t good to retards like you is about as far away from trolling as one can be.  I’m doing a goddamn public service.  tua is elite.  lawrence is elite.  dak was never and will never be elite.  get over it you unbelievable moron. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Joey seems to be working under the assumption that Dak should be -- and will be -- among the highest-paid QBs in the NFL until the end of his career. Most of us on here do not think Dak would ever be worthy of that. I'm sort of resigned to the thought that he is about to be the highest-paid player in football for at least the next year and then will slide as Mahomes and others sign new deals. For him to be the highest-paid for even a single year is extremely difficult to rationalize.

33 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Joey seems to be working under the assumption that Dak should be -- and will be -- among the highest-paid QBs in the NFL until the end of his career. Most of us on here do not think Dak would ever be worthy of that. I'm sort of resigned to the thought that he is about to be the highest-paid player in football for at least the next year and then will slide as Mahomes and others sign new deals. For him to be the highest-paid for even a single year is extremely difficult to rationalize.

Like every other QB with a pulse. But we're supposed to be "smart" and just go back to a rotating door of Drew Hensons and Vinny Testaverdes until we magically find the next Pat Mahomes. So smart.

Image result for tapping head guy

• Like 1

Dear lord, Gil. No, just no. I'd go: 1) Staubach; 2) Aikman; 3) Meredith (or Romo); 4. Meredith (or Romo); 5. White.

Prescott *could* play his way into the Top 5 (or higher) but he ain't anywhere near that yet.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2020/2/19/21144094/gil-brandt-ranked-his-top-five-dallas-cowboys-quarterbacks-dak-prescott-was-three-and-tony-romo-five?fbclid=IwAR2VKgTdKIQA9_m-2q_yXWGvkks66zxHEXKwnwYDE4IbILhnqcZgrEIR9qg

You would be hard-pressed to find someone in the history of the world that knows more about football, and specifically the Dallas Cowboys, than Pro Football hall of Famer Gil Brandt. When Mr. Brandt speaks, people listen. He remains one of the most influential voices in the NFL community and has one of the greatest scouting eyes that the game has ever seen.

Mr. Brandt took to the streets of Twitter on Wednesday and launched a nuclear level tweet. There are things that many people have debated in the long history of the Cowboys, but in recent memory nothing really comes close to the days of Tony Romo and Dak Prescott.

If you were wondering how Mr. Brandt ranks his top five Dallas Cowboys quarterbacks in general, then he has the answer for you.

1. Roger Staubach
  2. Troy Aikman
  3. Dak Prescott
  4. Danny White
  5. Tony Romo

Mr. Brandt has both Prescott and Romo in his top five, but the former at third and the latter at fifth.

Spots one and two are taken by Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman, respectively, and Danny White even makes an appearance at number four. It truly is fascinating that Prescott would not only outrank Romo just four seasons in, but Danny White, too. It says a lot about how impressive Dak Prescott’s career has been to this point in time.

On 2/20/2020 at 1:18 PM, Drew said:

Romo should be 4th or 5th at least.  I think you guys are severely underrating Dak, but he hasn't earned a Top 5 spot in the franchise.  Not even close.

He will though. 

Nobody is underrating Dak. On any given day he’s one of the 10-20 best QBs on the planet. But paying a guy to the point where it will legitimately cripple your team is just dumb. He knows Zeke’s contract just like everyone else. He knows cooper still has to get paid (both of which are better at their job than Dak is, BTW). But money a few million is more important to him than fielding a championship level football team. 
I don’t care what other teams have done. Everyone knows the qb market doesn’t make any sense, but we just accept it because that’s what other teams have done. You don’t have to do that. Especially not for a guy like Dak. 

Dak is fine. He’s a solid NFL qb that has a chance to be really good, especially if he can find a way to be more consistent with his accuracy (or just start running). But he hasn’t shown consistent evidence that would lead you to believe any of that will happen in his 5th year and beyond. He’s shown evidence of being an average to slightly above average NFL qb. There’s nothing wrong with that. You can win with that if your coaches are innovative and you have a smart front office. But outside of Will McClay and maybe Kellen Moore, there isn’t a lot of evidence for that either.

So what the fuck are we really trying to accomplish here? The most likely scenario is we pay Dak like a franchise elevating qb, and he doesn’t actually improve. Then what? As Zeke and the oline continue to age, it isn’t far fetched to think we’ve seen Dak at his best. I’m not saying I believe that, but it is definitely a possibility. I don’t know what I believe. I don’t want to get rid of Dak, but be smart. If he wants to be here, he’ll be here at a reasonable price. Period. If not, fuck off. You don’t have the resume to hold a team hostage like this. And I get it’s easy for me to say that, but have some fucking self awareness. What is your biggest goal as an nfl player. Making as much money as possible, or winning a championship and becoming a part of NFL history. There isn’t anything wrong with either one of those goals. But if his goal really is the former (and right now that appears to be a fact), let that be someone else’s investment.

But the thing is, I don’t think anyone would pay him that kind of money. Let him test the market. Nobody is going to pay this dude what him and his agent think he’s worth. And when he realizes that, he’ll be more reasonable. 

• Like 1