Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's very humorous that moron dak-apologists love to point to his win/loss record to validate him and yet blame going 8-8 with a stacked roster on everyone except dak.  the quarterback is the only guy who touches the ball on every play.  if you surround him with weapons he should be able to carve out a winning record, if he's not a complete and absolute worthless pile of shit.  unfortunately, he is a complete and absolute worthless pile of shit and his contract will tether this franchise to the back half of the league for the next 10 years. 

he is stage four cancer and the cowboys are terminal.

Edited by futureman

I’m not going to pretend like I know the ins and outs of the salary cap (especially not what it’ll be in the next few years) so I’m just curious. To everyone that is 100% behind Dak in this whole ordeal, what number would his side have to throw out there that would make you say “ok, fuck that. That’s just dumb. He needs to come down from that.” 

And you can answer by saying “there is no number that would make me feel that way. Pay that man his money.” But I am curious to know if there’s a point y’all would get to that would make you say fuck it, I’m not doing that. Because outside of futureman, I think everyone is generally on the same page and they want Dak to be our qb next year if it makes sense. But at what point does it no longer make sense to some of y’all. Because that’s clearly where the hangup is with the Jones family, or else this deal would’ve gotten done a long time ago. 

I’m not going to pretend like I know the ins and outs of the salary cap (especially not what it’ll be in the next few years) so I’m just curious. To everyone that is 100% behind Dak in this whole ordeal, what number would his side have to throw out there that would make you say “ok, fuck that. That’s just dumb. He needs to come down from that.” 

And you can answer by saying “there is no number that would make me feel that way. Pay that man his money.” But I am curious to know if there’s a point y’all would get to that would make you say fuck it, I’m not doing that. Because outside of futureman, I think everyone is generally on the same page and they want Dak to be our qb next year if it makes sense. But at what point does it no longer make sense to some of y’all. Because that’s clearly where the hangup is with the Jones family, or else this deal would’ve gotten done a long time ago. 
Well for me and i assume most of the others its the 40mil number thats been thrown around....35mil to 30mil fine lets to it for 4 years and see.

If nothing improves after next year or year after then draft a guy

Im also totally fine with winston if he is a good deal; think 25mil range if not stick with what ya know

Unfortunately 30mil is a bottom of the market number that free agent QBs like Bridgwater and Tannehill might bristle at.  The problem is that Stephen sucks at this and has no sense of gamesmanship whatsoever.  He isn't anticipatory in the least bit.  He could've signed Dak last year at this time for 27 to 30 mil and all of us would've screamed and hollered until Goff, Wentz, and Wilson signed for 32, 33, & 35 mil in the following month.  At this point Dak has no reason to sign until the CBA is ironed out, but to answer your question anything over 38mil number would've been that number for me, but the longer Stephen waits that 38mil will look like chump change again next year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Unfortunately 30mil is a bottom of the market number that free agent QBs like Bridgwater and Tannehill might bristle at.  The problem is that Stephen sucks at this and has no sense of gamesmanship whatsoever.  He isn't anticipatory in the least bit.  He could've signed Dak last year at this time for 27 to 30 mil and all of us would've screamed and hollered until Goff, Wentz, and Wilson signed for 32, 33, & 35 mil in the following month.  At this point Dak has no reason to sign until the CBA is ironed out, but to answer your question anything over 38mil number would've been that number for me, but the longer Stephen waits that 38mil will look like chump change again next year.  

100% this. Stephen is absolutely terrible at contract negotiations and managing the team's roster. He managed to goatfuck the entire RB market last year and he actually had leverage in that situation.

His strategy of waiting out the other side until they accept a below market deal has put the team in a terrible cap situation for 2020. He negotiates through the media because he knows he fucked this up and is in full PR mode. Now he's hoping that the players change their minds and accept his bullshit about the value of being a Cowboy because he's squandered time and his negotiating position.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I still can't believe Cleveland took Baker with the #1 overall pick.

Wait,  no I'm not. It's Cleveland.

Also, what did San Diego get in return for Eli being a bitch and not wanting to play with them?

4th pick (Philip Rivers), 3rd rounder in 2004, 1st (Shawn Merriman)and 5th rounder in 05. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This has become a popular narrative, but I'm not sure how much of it is rooted in reality. I think both Dak and Cooper were more than happy to bet on themselves and the cap rising with the new CBA. It's not a given that either would have signed last year, especially Dak. He also changed his agent last year to Todd France of CAA. They're not the number one agency because their players sign early for below market. 

His 4th year was never getting torn up, so he really had no incentive to sign early. That is, as long as he was willing to shoulder the injury risk and bet on having a good year. His endorsement money plus being healthy for most of his career made it a good decision to wait. 

For good QBs that aren't a walking injury report (ala Wentz),  it's pretty much always better to wait. Cap and QB contracts go up every year. Not to mention, good starting QBs can pretty much hold their team hostage with the tag going up every year. 

And yes you future trolling motherfucker, Dak by all measures qualifies as a good starting QB. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

1 hour ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

This has become a popular narrative, but I'm not sure how much of it is rooted in reality. I think both Dak and Cooper were more than happy to bet on themselves and the cap rising with the new CBA. It's not a given that either would have signed last year, especially Dak. He also changed his agent last year to Todd France of CAA. They're not the number one agency because their players sign early for below market

His 4th year was never getting torn up, so he really had no incentive to sign early. That is, as long as he was willing to shoulder the injury risk and bet on having a good year. His endorsement money plus being healthy for most of his career made it a good decision to wait. 

For good QBs that aren't a walking injury report (ala Wentz),  it's pretty much always better to wait. Cap and QB contracts go up every year. Not to mention, good starting QBs can pretty much hold their team hostage with the tag going up every year. 

And yes you future trolling motherfucker, Dak by all measures qualifies as a good starting QB. 

Im still not sure Dak would've been unwilling to sign after his 3rd year. Top of market money is top of market money.  Even if I'm lowballing with the 27 to 30mil figure signing for what Wentz and Goff would still be a much better situation.  And why wouldn't CAA be willing to make their client the highest paid QB at the time? The main point really is that Stephen keeps kicking the can down the road hoping for better terms,  but keeps failing with each attempt.  Byron Jones could've been signed earlier as well.  And don't give me that shit about his lack of INTs. Name the Cowboy DB who has been an INT magnet under Marinelli? Brandon Carr was a interception machine before coming to Dallas and then he came to Dallas and barely got any picks. Then when he left Dallas he went back to being an INT machine. Our unaggressive scheme sucked shit through a straw.  

• Like 2

Guess which team has spent the least, out pacing all other teams by 12 fucking million.  

"Cowboys fans, don't believe the hype about trouble keeping Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper and Byron Jones and anyone else. It's beyond time for the Cowboys to be writing checks left and right. The poster boys for marketing and sales revenue spent $134M less than the tiny-market Jaguars over the past four years. Let the shopping begin in The Big D!"

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Guess which team has spent the least, out pacing all other teams by 12 fucking million.  

"Cowboys fans, don't believe the hype about trouble keeping Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper and Byron Jones and anyone else. It's beyond time for the Cowboys to be writing checks left and right. The poster boys for marketing and sales revenue spent $134M less than the tiny-market Jaguars over the past four years. Let the shopping begin in The Big D!"

Yeah, I’m officially willing to admit that I don’t know shit about the salary cap (or why one would even exist in any sport), so I should probably just STFU on the Dak contract topic.

And for a team that won’t have a single reliable corner if he leaves, it seems like Byron Jones should be more of a priority. Draft a CB in the first or second round, keep Byron, and get Chido the fuck off the field unless injuries happen. 

23 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Im still not sure Dak would've been unwilling to sign after his 3rd year. Top of market money is top of market money.  Even if I'm lowballing with the 27 to 30mil figure signing for what Wentz and Goff would still be a much better situation.  And why wouldn't CAA be willing to make their client the highest paid QB at the time? The main point really is that Stephen keeps kicking the can down the road hoping for better terms,  but keeps failing with each attempt.  Byron Jones could've been signed earlier as well.  And don't give me that shit about his lack of INTs. Name the Cowboy DB who has been an INT magnet under Marinelli? Brandon Carr was a interception machine before coming to Dallas and then he came to Dallas and barely got any picks. Then when he left Dallas he went back to being an INT machine. Our unaggressive scheme sucked shit through a straw.  

Again, the Dak "should've, could've" talk is pretty baseless at this point. There's just not enough known details. For all we know, Dak was asking for $36 a year with $100 mil+ guaranteed after regressing for 2 years. 

I think it's much more likely that he bet on himself (and won). As for the Jones being idiots, well that goes without saying. 

Lol...why in the hell would Miami do that when they can keep one of their picks and draft someone they can have on a rookie contract and could become better than Dak?  That's one of the more stupid things I've seen this offseason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

All the eagles fans throwing shade in the replies. Eagles have beaten dak one time in 4 years, right?  With Garrett as his coach every game?

at least we made the playoffs last year and they didn't, right?  no?  well at least we won that super bowl though.

4 hours ago, Hate said:

Lol...why in the hell would Miami do that when they can keep one of their picks and draft someone they can have on a rookie contract and could become better than Dak?  That's one of the more stupid things I've seen this offseason.

I am all for keeping Dak and think he can really get better getting away from Garrett's terrible coaching but if a team offered me those picks, I think I would have to pull the trigger. You'd think the 5th pick would be Tua. But hell, some mocks have him dropping to the middle part of the 1st rd with the injuries he has suffered.

If the a Cowboys were offered that they would be stupid not to jump on it, but why on Earth would Miami do that? Like I said, that’s the dumbest “rumor” or “but if speculation” of the off season and it’s not even close.

$33M/year puts Dak behind Russell Wilson (35M), Ben Roethlisberger (34M), Aaron Rodgers (33.5M) and Jared Goff (33.5M) and ahead of Carson Wentz (32M) and Matt Ryan (30M). I still think it's too much but OK, if that's the market. What's the sticking point? Annual number or the guaranteed money (105M)? Seems like an awful lot of money for a guy that is barely Top 10 in the league at his position -- if he's even that.