Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/cowboys-mock-draft-7-0-with-nfl-free-agency-comes-some-clarity 

Cowboys Mock Draft 7.0: With NFL Free Agency Comes Some Clarity

So it’s Dallas Cowboys Mock Draft 7.0, and now things start to get a little more real.  We know that Dak Prescott has been tagged, that Amari Cooper, Anthony Brown, Joe Looney, Cooper Rush, Sean Lee and Blake Jarwin are returning. We know that Gerald McCoy is coming to town. We also know that Robert Quinn, Byron Jones, Jason Witten, Jeff Heath, Xavier Su'a-Filo, Maliek Collins and a slew of other Cowboys are leaving town. So now the needs are more pronounced than they were just a week ago.  So as we enter this seventh mock, we can take some of that into account. Of course, the Cowboys will be looking to add free agents in the next couple of weeks. And those additions could fuel how those mocks work.

But, as I did this mock on Wednesday night, I was at least able to take the first wave of free agency into account. As usual, I used TheDraftNetwork.com Mock Draft tool and used its Player Ranking setting. I picked for the Cowboys and the tool picked for everyone else.  So let’s get to Mock Draft 7.0.

Round 1: S Xavier McKinney, Alabama

We’ve been here before — that was Mock Draft 4.0. The Draft Network considers McKinney to be a Day 1 NFL starter. The departure of Jeff Heath to the Raiders makes the need more pronounced, though to be fair the Cowboys needed safety regardless. I thought about South Carolina’s Javon Kinlaw here, and I wouldn’t rule him out. But the signing of DT Gerald McCoy means they have their starter inside, though some depth will need to be accumulated.

Jan. 27 Mock: S Grant Delpit, LSU

Feb. 4 Mock: DE K’Lavon Chaisson, LSU

Feb. 11 Mock: WR Laviska Shenault Jr., Colorado

Feb. 18 Mock: S Xavier McKinney, Alabama

March 5 Mock: CB Kristian Fulton, LSU

March 12 Mock: CB Kristian Fulton, LSU

Round 2: DE Curtis Weaver, Boise State

The departure of Robert Quinn means the Cowboys will be without their top pass rusher from 2019. Certainly, the Cowboys are hoping that Demarcus Lawrence has an uptick in his play in 2020. But depth is needed and Weaver is a player that can step in and help immediately. At 6-foot-3, 265 pounds, I think he can play either side of the line and the Cowboys’ “Play the best 11” mentality on defense could benefit him competitively. The last Boise State defensive end the Cowboys selected — Lawrence — worked out all right. But, it took time for Lawrence to develop, too. What you’re hoping for out of Weaver is a player that can contribute immediately, and start by Year 2, and hopefully earlier.

Jan. 27 Mock: DE Bradlee Anae, Utah

Feb. 4 Mock: DT Ross Blacklock, TCU

Feb. 11 Mock: DT Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M

Feb. 18 Mock: OT Lucas Niang, TCU

March 5: DT Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M

March 12 Mock: DT Ross Blacklock, TCU

Round 3: CB Darnay Holmes, UCLA

You can’t really ignore the corner position after losing Byron Jones. The Cowboys have options at this position in the first round, as we’ve evidenced in other mock drafts. If you are targeting a corner, you don’t want to get into Day 3 to find a starter, or at least a player that can contribute immediately. Holmes can do that. At 5-foot-10, 192 pounds, he’s a bit shorter than I would like. But, after reading The Draft Network scouting report, the takeaway here was that the things he needs to improve upon only require coaching. That means he has the foundation and athletic ability to be a good player. That also means he can project to be a better player in a year or two. At the time he was the best corner on the board.

Jan. 27 Mock: WR Denzel Mims, Baylor

Feb. 4 Mock: WR K.J. Hill, Ohio State

Feb. 11 Mock: S Brandon Jones, Texas

Feb. 18 Mock: DE Kenny Willekes, Michigan State

March 5 Mock: S Jeremy Chinn, Southern Illinois

March 12 Mock: DE Darrell Taylor, Tennessee

Round 4: WR Chase Claypool, Notre Dame

I think I forgot to mention that Randall Cobb skipped town for Houston, too. So the Cowboys have a gap on the roster for a receiver. Claypool isn’t necessarily going to be a slot receiver at 6-foot-4, 229 pounds. But he has the right build for the position overall and has value in 50/50 and back-shoulder fade situations right away. I saw him play in 2018 live against Michigan and I was impressed with his route running. He’s not a finished product, but he has the tools to make up ground fast. There are plenty of good receiving options in the third and fourth rounds.

Jan. 27 Mock: TE Jared Pinkney, Vanderbilt

Feb. 4 Mock: S Richie Grant, UCF

Feb. 11 Mock: DE Khalid Kareem, Notre Dame

Feb. 18 Mock: WR Collin Johnson, Texas

March 5 Mock: DE Alton Robinson, Syracuse

March 12 Mock: S Jordan Fuller, Ohio State

Round 5: LB Markus Bailey, Purdue

The Cowboys are bringing Sean Lee back on a one-year deal. Beyond that, who knows. Linebacker is a sneaky depth issue for the Cowboys right now. I saw Bailey in the season opener in 2018 against Northwestern and he was one of the most fundamentally sound linebackers I saw that season. Football IQ is what The Draft Network raves about. At 6-foot-1, 240 pounds, he sounds like a good fit, depending upon how the Cowboys want to use their linebackers this season.

Jan. 27 Mock: CB Levonta Taylor, Florida State

Feb. 4 Mock: OT Jack Driscoll, Auburn

Feb. 11 Mock: CB Essang Bassey, Wake Forest

Feb. 18 Mock: CB Myles Bryant, Washington

March 5 Mock: WR Tyler Johnson, Minnesota

March 12 Mock: WR Michael Pittman Jr., USC

Round 5 (compensatory): Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri

Oh, don’t roll your eyes at me. You know they’re going to take a tight end, even though they just overpaid Blake Jarwin (did I write that? Did I really just write that?). At least Okwuegbunam has the right athletic build for the position (6-foot-5, 255 pounds) and already has a foundation as a good blocker and can grow into the position.

March 12 Mock: RB Lamical Perine, Florida

Round 7: OT Scott Frantz, Kansas State

The Cowboys have already absorbed some losses on the offensive line. They also know they have continued injury issues with Tyron Smith. Now, Frantz certainly isn’t Smith’s replacement. But he is a solid developmental prospect at the position group, as he was considered one of the Big 12’s best offensive linemen last year. The Cowboys will likely take at least one offensive lineman in this draft, just for depth purposes.

Jan. 27 Mock: DL LaBryan Ray, Alabama

Feb. 4 Mock: CB Lavert Hill, Michigan

Feb. 11 Mock: OT Colton McKivitz, West Virginia

Feb. 18 Mock: DT Robert Landers, Ohio State

March 5 Mock: FB Sewo Olonilua, TCU

March 12 Mock: WR James Proche, SMU

Analysis: This mock hewed close to defense once again. With the losses at safety, defensive end and cornerback I felt the need to find some replacements that all had opportunities to play this season. I think McKinney, Weaver and Holmes can, though I would be wary of putting starter tags on Weaver and Holmes until we see them in camp. Claypool could find a place on this roster, as could Bailey (I feel the Cowboys are thinner at linebacker than most realize). Okwuegbunam and Frantz would most likely hit the practice squad for this team, but that’s the fate of many fifth- and seventh-round picks. What you’re looking for is impact on Day 1 and 2, and I think this Mock Draft certainly heads in that direction.

My next mock draft will appear on March 26.

Edited by LTtxfan

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL Network’s Jane Slater reports it’s a one-year deal for $4 million with $2.5 million guaranteed

He has 16 career interceptions in his six seasons, something the Dallas defense desperately needs an uptick in. He also has 33 pass deflections as he’s played both safety positions across his career.  At 6-foot-1, 208 pounds, Clinton-Dix isn’t known as an imposing hitter, but he has made timely plays. Pro Football Focus has given him 75.5 and 80.2 coverage grades during the last two years across three different teams.

He ranked 19th in defensive grades among all safeties who played at least 50% of team snaps in 2019, in the same range as Tyrann Mathieu and Earl Thomas. By comparison, Heath ranked 38th on the year.

On a one-year deal, Clinton-Dix allows the Cowboys to have a veteran presence in 2020, but also gives them the flexibility to draft a safety in the 2020 draft and not be too impeded by a long-term deal.

Edited by LTtxfan

HHCD besides a great name is pretty meh but he's on the level or slightly better than Heath, who got a longer and more expensive deal.  He tends to be a risk taker and will give up some bigger plays.  He's also not a big hitter but he can make the occasional turnover and perhaps playing under McCarthy again, where he had his best 2 years, can get him back to his 2017 form, whereby he was pretty decent.  He's also not the special teamer that Heath is but on a cheaper, shorter deal, I get the signing.  It also allows the front office not to feel obligated to make a safety a pick in the first 100 picks, which they loathe to do.

He's also been durable (knock on wood).  Never missed a game.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

This is no different than signing Alfred Morris before drafting Zeke. Just getting a body that has starting experience so we aren’t backed into a corner on draft day. I’d expect a similar WR signing too

If Cowboys even draft a WR in 2020, it might be late.  Could be a position they decide to just sign 2-3 undrafted free agents and roll the dice...

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, jeevsie said:

Best thing about this signing is it's a one year.  And, dammit, Gene.  You beat me.

Yes and no. I'd rather try and build a unit that has continuity. Also, we have seen these one year deals and how if they have a good year, they bolt to another team. Cobb and Quinn did it.

He's an upgrade from Heath but not sure by how much and they play differently. But I'll take any upgrade right now. I was tired of seeing Heath out there for years.

At least they are addressing their needs at DT and safety, 2 areas of need. I suspect they might get a safety in one of the top rounds next month, too.

46 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yes and no. I'd rather try and build a unit that has continuity. Also, we have seen these one year deals and how if they have a good year, they bolt to another team. Cobb and Quinn did it.

Same.

Colt to the Giants.

56 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Same.

Colt to the Giants.

So we could have Colt this whole time instead of Cooper Rush and Mike White? Lulz. I am sure Garrett had to have some say in bringing him in. Colt is the perfect backup QB to have. I don't think he's ever going to lead a team to big things as a full time starter but he can easily come in when your starter is hurt. 

Are we ever going to upgrade our backup QB any time soon?

4 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

So NOW Garrett cares about having a legit backup qb. Fuck off ginger. You fucking bitch. Dak could’ve used a guy like Colt in the qb room.

Garrett wasn't making any personnel decisions as the HC of the Cowboys, and he's sure as shit not as the OC of the Giants.  But he is a bitch

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Garrett wasn't making any personnel decisions as the HC of the Cowboys, and he's sure as shit not as the OC of the Giants.  But he is a bitch

I’m sure Garrett had some say on offensive personnel decisions in Dallas (see Witten/Jarwin), and I’m sure he has some say in NYG. Maybe not the final say, but he definitely has a say. David football Gettleman seems to have a lot of respect for Garrett, so I highly doubt he he’s just disregarding Garrett’s opinion. 

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

If Cowboys even draft a WR in 2020, it might be late.  Could be a position they decide to just sign 2-3 undrafted free agents and roll the dice...

giphy.gif

There will be receivers in the 3-4th round who would normally be 1st- 2nd round talents. I would have no issue if Dallas took advantage and drafted a WR in the mid rounds. 

The depth of the draft makes being in a position to take the best available player or trading down that much more important. If you have an obvious hole, sign a veteran even if for just 1-2 years. We are not winning the Super Bowl next year anyway so just get the most talent possible in this draft.  

• Like 2

With a brand new staff you're trying to bridge the old systems with the new systems, getting guys in places to do the things you want to do short term, while starting to build long term.

McCarthy is a bit like the Parcells hire, though less of a name. I expect he will have a bit more input into this draft than previous head coaches have. I expect picks that will reflect a somewhat different philosophy on both sides of the ball. You could see this at a lot of different positions. It's going to be a lot about what their overall vision is probably more than what pieces we thing the Cowboys might need to fill right now. I think you're going to see bigger DL and a stand up edge rusher in there somewhere, probably some value WR and TE picks.  They my very well pick OL guys where you might think Dallas is pretty OK already. He never seemed to value the athletic types as much, so probably a bloated fatso type in there somewhere.

6 minutes ago, DougO said:

With a brand new staff you're trying to bridge the old systems with the new systems, getting guys in places to do the things you want to do short term, while starting to build long term.

McCarthy is a bit like the Parcells hire, though less of a name. I expect he will have a bit more input into this draft than previous head coaches have. I expect picks that will reflect a somewhat different philosophy on both sides of the ball. You could see this at a lot of different positions. It's going to be a lot about what their overall vision is probably more than what pieces we thing the Cowboys might need to fill right now. I think you're going to see bigger DL and a stand up edge rusher in there somewhere, probably some value WR and TE picks.  They my very well pick OL guys where you might think Dallas is pretty OK already. He never seemed to value the athletic types as much, so probably a bloated fatso type in there somewhere.

I like this offseason approach much more than the past under Garrett. We kept the same junk around year after year i.e. Heath and later years Witten. We went after a DT in free agency. We went after a safety. We also let Byron Jones walk. Get some new blood in here under the new coaches. Breath of fresh air. It was tiring seem the same shit year after year and the same coaches.

24 minutes ago, DougO said:

If you have QB taken care of, I would say draft OL, DL and CB in the first two rounds almost as a rule. Regardless of what you already have. 

Interesting read...

The Los Angeles Rams’ bad contracts for Todd Gurley and Jared Goff have impacted the Cowboys greatly

What one team does in the NFL can affect other teams.

By RJ Ochoa@rjochoa  Mar 20, 2020, 6:00pm CDT 

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2020/3/20/21187473/the-los-angeles-rams-bad-contracts-for-todd-gurley-and-jared-goff-have-impacted-the-cowboys-greatly

48 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting read...

The Los Angeles Rams’ bad contracts for Todd Gurley and Jared Goff have impacted the Cowboys greatly

What one team does in the NFL can affect other teams.

By RJ Ochoa@rjochoa  Mar 20, 2020, 6:00pm CDT 

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2020/3/20/21187473/the-los-angeles-rams-bad-contracts-for-todd-gurley-and-jared-goff-have-impacted-the-cowboys-greatly

All this only works if you believe that one contract resets the entire market, and that the marketplace can’t discern and ignore a bad contract. 
if the patriots gave me a 200 million dollar contract tomorrow to be qb, that wouldn’t reset the qb market to that level.  That’s the kind of shit agents push. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

All this only works if you believe that one contract resets the entire market, and that the marketplace can’t discern and ignore a bad contract. 
if the patriots gave me a 200 million dollar contract tomorrow to be qb, that wouldn’t reset the qb market to that level.  That’s the kind of shit agents push. 

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I like this offseason approach much more than the past under Garrett. We kept the same junk around year after year i.e. Heath and later years Witten. We went after a DT in free agency. We went after a safety. We also let Byron Jones walk. Get some new blood in here under the new coaches. Breath of fresh air. It was tiring seem the same shit year after year and the same coaches.

The approach is fine, I just don't have much faith in another bloated over the hill retread system guy coaching staff. It's going to start out looking fresh, but will get stale before long. I hope they prove me wrong, but MehCarthy and Mike Dolenz and the Golden Girls assistants don't get me too excited about the future.

Edited by DougO

We really let Emanuel Sanders get away for a mere $2mill? Some things never change with this front office. He would have been a great weapon and a huge improvement over Cobb. They have shit tons of cap room and want to win now. Then go get him.

Edited by Vic Mackey

14 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

But it did.... Gurley's shitty contract reset the market even though it was 20% richer than other RBs at the time of signing.  It had direct impacts on Bell's and then Elliott's deal.  Now other teams like the Chargers decided to continue to invest in the position in the middle rounds and let a guy trying to hold them hostage go.  McCaffery's deal and eventually Barkley's (2 years away) will be interesting to watch.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

But it did.... Gurley's shitty contract reset the market even though it was 20% richer than other RBs at the time of signing.  It had direct impacts on Bell's and then Elliott's deal.  Now other teams like the Chargers decided to continue to invest in the position in the middle rounds and let a guy trying to hold them hostage go.  McCaffery's deal and eventually Barkley's (2 years away) will be interesting to watch.

It only takes 1 team to bite. 

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

Very limited rules, pay the players shit so they don't get uppity, and fuck all the safety precautions. 

That's what he means. 

What was the first reported case of CTE and when was the first time someone attempted to sue the NFL because of their CTE? Because that’s when everything changed (right?). As for paying the players, the nfl didn’t make the same kind of money it makes now. But either way, in the social media world we live in today, the players were always going to start holding out for more money, even if it’s just for a few more 100k

We really let Emanuel Sanders get away for a mere $2mill? Some things never change with this front office. He would have been a great weapon and a huge improvement over Cobb. They have shit tons of cap room and want to win now. Then go get him.
[/url]  

Outside of a couple of big games, he wasn’t all that great last year. He’s 33 and has had ankle and Achilles issues in the past 3 years.

19 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

What was the first reported case of CTE and when was the first time someone attempted to sue the NFL because of their CTE? Because that’s when everything changed (right?). As for paying the players, the nfl didn’t make the same kind of money it makes now. But either way, in the social media world we live in today, the players were always going to start holding out for more money, even if it’s just for a few more 100k

Extremely physical sports like football and combat sports where most careers are short and debilitating I'm all for them getting paid as much as possible. 

That said I'm kind of glad the players Union in nFl is weak. I used to love the NBA and MLB but analytics changes to the game and fat cushy guaranteed contracts have made them unwatchable to me now. 

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Just remember that over the past 4 years no other team in the NFL has come close to hoarding as much cash as the Dallas Cowboys.  In some cases we've spent over $130 million less on payroll than some teams. 

How's that new yacht working for you Jerry?!?!?