Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

17 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Just remember that over the past 4 years no other team in the NFL has come close to hoarding as much cash as the Dallas Cowboys.  In some cases we've spent over $130 million less on payroll than some teams. 

How's that new yacht working for you Jerry?!?!?

One of the biggest parts of spending for most teams in the guaranteed money spent at the QB position. Dallas is about to shoot up that ranking when they resign Dak. 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

Extremely physical sports like football and combat sports where most careers are short and debilitating I'm all for them getting paid as much as possible. 

That said I'm kind of glad the players Union in nFl is weak. I used to love the NBA and MLB but analytics changes to the game and fat cushy guaranteed contracts have made them unwatchable to me now. 

Holistically the NBA has never been more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.  The overall movement and lack of isolation of today's game (which is pretty much true every team outside of Houston) makes for a much better product than what you saw from say the early to mid 90s til around 2010. But to each their own.

27 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

One of the biggest parts of spending for most teams in the guaranteed money spent at the QB position. Dallas is about to shoot up that ranking when they resign Dak. 

We resigned several dudes to big contracts during that 4 year term.  The biggest difference is the lack of aggression in free agency and perhaps the way we structure the contracts (ie less bonus money), but I'd have to dig deeper to see whether that plays a part. I imagine Romo's dead money played a factor as well,  but not $130+ million worth.   

41 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

We resigned several dudes to big contracts during that 4 year term.  The biggest difference is the lack of aggression in free agency and perhaps the way we structure the contracts (ie less bonus money), but I'd have to dig deeper to see whether that plays a part. I imagine Romo's dead money played a factor as well,  but not $130+ million worth.   

The biggest delta you are going to find is our starting QB is paid extremely low over that time period where most teams had spent 20 plus million per year at the position. 

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The biggest delta you are going to find is our starting QB is paid extremely low over that time period where most teams had spent 20 plus million per year at the position. 

Which means we should've been making up the difference in premium free agents. Most teams take advantage of a cheap QB, but not us.  

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

dak’s first two years we were paying 20 million to a quarterback.  third year we were headed to a top draft pick until we traded it for an elite receiver due to dak’s gross incompetence.  last year with a great roster dak went 8-8 because he’s a fucking spare.  you don’t pay spares top qb money.  

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Which means we should've been making up the difference in premium free agents. Most teams take advantage of a cheap QB, but not us.  

Right. Jerry Jones is both a fool for paying for overpriced free agents and wasting money on Zeke and being a cheap owner. 

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

We really let Emanuel Sanders get away for a mere $2mill? Some things never change with this front office. He would have been a great weapon and a huge improvement over Cobb. They have shit tons of cap room and want to win now. Then go get him.

But unlike those guys, unfortunately, they never bring in expert to give a proper evaluation.

5 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Holistically the NBA has never been more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.  The overall movement and lack of isolation of today's game (which is pretty much true every team outside of Houston) makes for a much better product than what you saw from say the early to mid 90s til around 2010. But to each their own.

I couldn’t agree with you more, and I grew up a fan of the spurs. In hindsight, their first 4 championships had to be pretty hard to watch. 

15 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I couldn’t agree with you more, and I grew up a fan of the spurs. In hindsight, their first 4 championships had to be pretty hard to watch. 

Loved Watching the 5 Spurs Championships...

giphy.gif 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

There was nothing difficult about watching any of the 5 championships for the Spurs.  I say that as a Spurs and  a Cowboys fan.  That being said, watching my favorite football team fuck up the last 25 years has been rough.  I grew up when the Cowboys were like the Spurs in that they always won.  I became aware of football somewhere around the 74-75 season (my first real memories).  My first SB that I really celebrated was the 77 season when they beat the Broncos.  I suffered through the 80's even if during the early part the Cowboys didn't suck.  And then to have the early 90's come around and to see what Jimmy, Troy, Michael, and Emmitt could do??? Holy shit, there should have been at least 5 Super Bowls that decade.  If Jerry could have just shut his goddamn mouth and collected trophies what could have happened?  Instead we are left with what might have beens and 25+ years of complete and utter incompetence.  The Spurs suck now, but I'm ok with it because it happened naturally.  ti didn't happen because of the hubris of the owner.  Fuck you Jerry Jones.  Fuck you into all eternity.

5 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Right. Jerry Jones is both a fool for paying for overpriced free agents and wasting money on Zeke and being a cheap owner. 

Remind me again, which overpriced free agents has he paid for in the past 4 years? Stephen has been a miser since he gained full control of things.  The lack of impact free agents and the constant contract misadventures has made that clear as day

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Cowboys Prospect Meetings:

Would love the idea of B Jones being a Cowboy.

DAL.gif Dallas Cowboys
  • Grayland Arnold, CB, Baylor (COM)
  • Shyheim Carter, CB/S, Alabama (COM)
  • Cameron Clark, OT, Charlotte (EW)
  • Josiah Coatney, DT/3-4DE/NT, Ole Miss (COM)
  • Kendall Coleman, DE, Syracuse (COM)
  • Marlon Davidson, DE/3-4DE, Auburn (COM)
  • Grant Delpit, S, LSU (COM)
  • Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama (COM)
  • Jordan Fuller, S, Ohio State (COM)
  • Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU (COM)
  • Trevis Gipson, DE, Tulsa (COM)
  • Jon Greenard, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Florida (COM)
  • K.J. Hamler, WR, Penn State (COM)
  • Josh Hammond, WR, Florida (EW)
  • De'Jon Harris, ILB, Arkansas (COM)
  • C.J. Henderson, CB, Florida (COM)
  • Lavert Hill, CB, Michigan (COM)
  • Brandon Jones, S, Texas (COM)
  • Thakarius Keyes, CB, Tulane (COM)
  • Evin Ksierzarczyk, OT, Buffalo (EW)
  • Rashard Lawrence, DT/3-4DE/NT, LSU (COM)
  • James Lynch, DE, Baylor (COM)
  • Josh Metellus, S, Michigan (COM)
  • Kenneth Murray, OLB/ILB, Oklahoma (PRI)
  • Chauncey Rivers, DE/3-4DE, Mississippi State (COM)
  • Alton Robinson, DE/OLB, Syracuse (COM)
  • Qaadir Sheppard, 3-4OLB/OLB, Ole Miss (COM)
  • Broderick Washington, DT, Texas Tech (COM)
  • Curtis Weaver^, DE/3-4OLB, Boise State (COM, STM)

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Center just went to top of the list.... I wonder if Connor could actually learn the position.

Going to assume McGovern gets a long, long look.

Top of the list of what? Definitely not in terms of draft capital, right? Not for a center. But you’re right. I’d almost expect McGovern or Looney to go into camp as the 1A option and 1B option with the player who loses out taking the role that Looney has last year (as backup center/guard on game day)

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

First round picks ain't looking so good for McClay and group.... especially if LVE can't get his career back on track.

While this is true, I’d love to compare this to other teams (including the patriots). Fredrick and martin were all pros, Byron is now the 2nd highest paid CB in football, and LVE looked like he was on the fast track to being in the argument for best LB in the game. And while you shouldn’t draft a rb at 4, if you’re going to, at least draft Zeke (and not Trent Richardson, Leonard Fournette, or someone along those lines). Compared to most teams, I’d say that lost looks pretty decent actually. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, futureman said:

roster holes

Not sure about that. If we are forced to start Looney (even though i know they don’t want to), i think we’re fine. I feel like corner has to be the biggest hole on this team right now. Maybe still DT depending on what McCoy has left in the tank. It’s definitely a hole, but this team has plenty of those. 

7 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Top of the list of what? Definitely not in terms of draft capital, right? Not for a center. But you’re right. I’d almost expect McGovern or Looney to go into camp as the 1A option and 1B option with the player who loses out taking the role that Looney has last year (as backup center/guard on game day)

Priority need unless they think a kid who barely practiced is ready....with an abbreviated camp and no spring.  He's a mature guy so maybe.  I like Looney but he's a backup level player.  

And no, I don't think they'll take an interior guy at 17 but I could see them draft one on the 2nd day if we don't sign someone.  The team has lost 7-8 starters already (if you count Cobb as slot), there's a lot to reallocate.  

Center just went to top of the list.... I wonder if Connor could actually learn the position.
Going to assume McGovern gets a long, long look.

Conner at center? Is there a new rule where nobody can line up across from him? Hard MFing pass. Those edge guys who move inside would clown him. Stay at backup guard.