Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I have liked the approach this offseason for the most part. Starting with replacing Garrett and Marinelli and others. Letting Witten walk. Letting Byron walk. Should have let Lee walk, too but oh well. Slowly start undoing the toxins that Garrett injected this team with.

Sean Lee on a reasonable 1yr contract is decent insurance due to the uncertainty surrounding the health of Vander Esch.  Sean Lee is a quality guy, not a toxin...

(Vander Esch, the club’s 2018 first-round pick, has undergone surgery to repair the nerves in his neck during this off-season.)

18 hours ago, Hate said:

Cheaper and not any worse. Look at the roster the Bengals had. It’s a miracle they won 2 games.

17 hours ago, Genco said:

Now Drew will be compelled to respond.

GIF by Leroy Patterson

I mean I'm not taking the bait.  Just going to say shit like that is WHY the "Dak Sucks" crowd is the fucking laughing stock of this fan base, and why even the "Dak's good not great" crowd even gets drawn offsides.

Just so fucking stupid.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Oh and BTW

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/4/2/21203642/dak-prescott-dallas-cowboys-contract-extension-talks

Anyone who has any fucking common sense, says the same damned thing.

It isn't a debate. It never was. It's just goofball message board fodder, regardless of ones opinion of Dak's value. It just is what it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

It’s tough. Because it’s definitely an overpayment, but you saw the night and day difference in Dak with and without Cooper (and Tyron smith, and Zeke, but that’s neither here nor there). They have to pay Cooper if they’re plan is to pay Dak. 

47 minutes ago, Drew said:

Also the criticism of his home road splits is legit...but then he went and called him a turd and acted like he was a freaking bum was obscene.

Rex Ryan gets off on people’s feet. He and his bum of a brother are 💩

• Like 1

It’s fair to criticize a player, but he called him a turd. That’s a step beyond, IMO, for anyone that is considered part of the media. Now, as a fan I have every right to call Dak a turd.

I don’t think he’s a turd. I just wanted to make Drew ragey

10 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

He's 100 percent correct. Who cares if he called him a turd this is a fucking man's game. If they pay Byron Jones and pay Quinn but don't pay Zeke or Cooper they're a better team. Especially if they go receiver round 1

As you probably know, even a 1st round receiver (that's not a generational talent) is very unlikely to contribute much for 1-2 years. 

We all saw how the cowboys offense and Dak looked before Cooper. It was pretty much a no-brainer move to resign him. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

24 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

As you probably know, even a 1st round receiver (that's not a generational talent) is very unlikely to contribute much for 1-2 years. 

We all saw how the cowboys offense and Dak looked before Cooper. It was pretty much a no-brainer move to resign him. 

Theyre in a rebuilding situation with their secondary in shambles, linebacker looking weak, and an aging and decimated expensive O line. 

Even if they make good draft picks for the next 2 drafts it'll be a year or two until they can improve the team enough to challenge for anything. The sooner or Judy or whoever is there at 17 has a good chance to be solid year 1 and good year 2. 

He's 100 percent correct. Who cares if he called him a turd this is a fucking man's game. If they pay Byron Jones and pay Quinn but don't pay Zeke or Cooper they're a better team. Especially if they go receiver round 1

Yeah just draft a star wr and star qb as well. It’s so easy, you should totally run an nfl team. And by “run an NFL team” I mean you’re a moron and couldn’t run a Taco Bell

32 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Yeah just draft a star wr and star qb as well. It’s so easy, you should totally run an nfl team. And by “run an NFL team” I mean you’re a moron and couldn’t run a Taco Bell

Nobody said star receiver. But at 17 the odds of getting a damn good receiver are higher if your evaluation isn't shit. 

Having a CB that only gave up 300+ yds all last season and started every game plus a DE who showed he can get to the QB effectively opposite Tank would be much better use of the money over a WR who disappears on the road and against any CB worth a shit, and a RB with behavioral issues that has never started a season fit even when he wasn't over paid. The RB that turned in a mediocre season immediately after signing the biggest RB contract ever. 

As far as the QB Dak is a good QB but paying a good QB elite QB money harms their chances of winning a title. But you have to do it unless you're willing to trade him and very visibly and obviously tank the season for Lawrence. Those are the only two options that make any sense. 

This is obviously over your head and beyond your grasp so you should sit it out. 

Edited by Junior Miller

Nobody said star receiver. But at 17 the odds of getting a damn good receiver are higher if your evaluation isn't shit. 
Having a CB that only gave up 300+ yds all last season and started every game plus a DE who showed he can get to the QB effectively opposite Tank would be much better use of the money over a WR who disappears on the road and against any CB worth a shit, and a RB with behavioral issues that has never started a season fit even when he wasn't over paid. The RB that turned in a mediocre season immediately after signing the biggest RB contract ever. 
As far as the QB Dak is a good QB but paying a good QB elite QB money harms their chances of winning a title. But you have to do it unless you're willing to trade him and very visibly and obviously tank the season for Lawrence. Those are the only two options that make any sense. 
This is obviously over your head and beyond your grasp so you should sit it out. 

Yes, just tank the season and take Lawrence, draft a great wr, great pass rusher and you are in business! What exactly do you think the odds are that dallas could lose enough games to make sure they draft Lawrence and that he is a star? What are the odds you land an elite wr with the 17th pick and he is good immediately? Your scenarios are ridiculous and sophomoric.

You over rate Byron Jones to a ridiculous degree, there are plenty of stats showing why he didn’t give up x number of yards, because they rarely threw there because the other side was open all day. He will he exposed to be an average cb and. It be worth being the highest paid cb in the league

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

But you have to do it unless you're willing to trade him and very visibly and obviously tank the season for Lawrence.

if we traded him it would be pretty hard to not have a better season.  there are a dozen quarterbacks not currently starting who could do better than 8-8 with this roster. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

No he's NOT 100% correct.  He's correct about his home road splits.  That's about it.  And I think we've all acknowledged the offense, for whatever reason, is different on the road.  They always go in a shell, and that's a coaching/philosophy decision IMO.

BUT, that's still correct...he doesn't do as well on the Road as he does at home.  But the rest? He doesn't finish routes? He doesn't love football? He's a Turd?  No sir...NONE of those are correct.

You save calling someone a Turd for their off the field behavior.  For their Locker Room Behavior.  Amari is consistently considered one of the nicest guys in the NFL and a great teammate.

Also, how the fuck would he know if Amari loves football or not? Let me guess, because he's not a flamboyant trash talker like all the other great WR's?  Because Raider fans and Chucky tried to claim that as a reason to justify trading an ELITE WR who wasn't even in his prime yet.

Besides, the TRUE measure of just how much of an impact Amari makes is looking at his on field/off the field stats.  Not just for Dak, but for everyone.  Even when Amari isn't having some great game, the run game, the YPA, everything is up across the board when he's on the field compared to when he's not.  That makes him worth everything they're paying.

I'm not even going to get into your ridiculous Dak comments. 

And stop with the "they can't compete for 2 years" BS...we see teams go from under .500 to playoffs or mediocre to #1 seeds all the time.  Just happened last year with the damn 49rs. 

Edited by Drew
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, futureman said:

if we traded him it would be pretty hard to not have a better season.  there are a dozen quarterbacks not currently starting who could do better than 8-8 with this roster. 

So yeah...if you trade Dak you'll have a BETTER season than with Dak, BUT you want to get rid of Dak so they can get a better draft pick...

That's some Futureman Logic right there.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Only thing I worry about Amari Cooper is injuries. He always seems banged up and don't really see him ever being completely healthy for 16 games.

This is my concern..... Those foot issues are no joke and the contract doesn't look like it account for them very much.  Top 5 money I could have lived with but top 2 money seemed rich (until Hopkins gets his extension).  But if the cap explodes like it's supposed to with the next TV deal then it may be okay depending on structure.

12 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

This is terrible planning....

The biggest issue in short-term and mid-term planning is how COV is going to play havoc with the next 12 months of football.   No offseason training regimens.  Probably a shortened TC and if a player/group of players/team gets it before a vaccine can be created, then there's going to be real pain.  It's possible (not probable) that we have two drafts come and go before we complete a season.  Teams who plan for contingencies the best and start taking a creative approach to getting younger may flourish sooner than expected.

I'm talking about strictly football related to the QB position. Any option other than 1) pay Dak or 2) tank like a mother fucker whenever you do take the field again is unacceptable. Trading Dak and signing Andy Dalton is flat out stupid. 

In the end though the only real logical play is to pay Dak. Their biggest problems are the other stupid choices they made with paying a RB top of market and 20 mil a year on a receiver who disappears when it matters or the competition is difficult. And in consequence letting a legit pass rushing DE and a CB who gave up only 300+ yards while starting every game last season walk. 

They continually do the dumbest things personnel wise. 

2 hours ago, Drew said:

So yeah...if you trade Dak you'll have a BETTER season than with Dak, BUT you want to get rid of Dak so they can get a better draft pick...

That's some Futureman Logic right there.

nowhere did I mention getting a better draft pick.  your reading comprehension is on the level of an infant.

also, shut the fuck up, drew. 

28 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I'm talking about strictly football related to the QB position. Any option other than 1) pay Dak or 2) tank like a mother fucker whenever you do take the field again is unacceptable. Trading Dak and signing Andy Dalton is flat out stupid. 

In the end though the only real logical play is to pay Dak. Their biggest problems are the other stupid choices they made with paying a RB top of market and 20 mil a year on a receiver who disappears when it matters or the competition is difficult. And in consequence letting a legit pass rushing DE and a CB who gave up only 300+ yards while starting every game last season walk. 

They continually do the dumbest things personnel wise. 

Nobody would trade for Dak.

24 minutes ago, futureman said:

nowhere did I mention getting a better draft pick.  your reading comprehension is on the level of an infant.

also, shut the fuck up, drew. 

In the quote you were responding to someone who said tank the season for Lawrence. So yeah, you were.

You're still fucking stupid as shit thinking there are even more than 10 QB's better than Dak in the league.

And Hate, you're a fucking idiot too if you don't think anyone would trade for Dak.

WTF is wrong you trolls.

54 minutes ago, Drew said:

In the quote you were responding to someone who said tank the season for Lawrence. So yeah, you were.

read it again.  then read it again.  then, read it again.  and then tell me where I was advocating for a high draft pick.  

you’re such an unbelievable halfwit. 

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Drew said:

You're still fucking stupid as shit thinking there are even more than 10 QB's better than Dak in the league.

And Hate, you're a fucking idiot too if you don't think anyone would trade for Dak.

WTF is wrong you trolls.

Name the teams...and I don't mean trade for a 6th round pick.  I mean a first round pick which would be fair compensation for a starting QB.  With his apparent salaray demands, not one team of the other 31 would trade for him. 

Arizona Cardinals-no because of Murray
Atlanta Falcons-no because of Ryan
Baltimore Ravens-no because of Jackson
Buffalo Bills-no because of Allen
Carolina Panthers-no because of Bridgewater
Chicago Bears-no because of Trubisky and likely to sign a FA QB
Cincinnati Bengals-no because they will draft one
Cleveland Browns-no because of Mayfield
Denver Broncos-I guess, but why??
Detroit Lions-no because of Stafford
Green Bay Packers-no because of Rodgers
Houston Texans-no because of Watson
Indianapolis Colts-no because they already have a less expensive version of Dak
Jacksonville Jaguars-no because of Minshew
Kansas City Chiefs-no because of Mahomes
Los Angeles Chargers-no because they will draft one
Los Angeles Rams-no because of Goff
Miami Dolphins-no because they will draft one
Minnesota Vikings-no because of Cousins
New England Patriots-no because Belichick knows Dak is average
New Orleans Saints-no because of Brees
New York Giants-no because of Jones
New York Jets-no because of Darnold
Oakland Raiders-no because of Carr
Philadelphia Eagles-no because of Wentz
Pittsburgh Steelers-no because of Ben
San Francisco 49ers-no because of Garoppolo
Seattle Seahawks-no because of Wilson
Tampa Bay Buccaneers-no because of Brady
Tennessee Titans-no because of aggy
Washington Redskins-no because of Haskins

2 hours ago, Drew said:

not 10, I said 12 or more, and I was talking about quarterbacks not currently starting.  there are roughly 40-50 quarterbacks collecting paychecks that are better than rayne "I'm a huge fraud" prescott.

and, by the way, shut the fuck up, drew.

Edited by futureman
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 3:06 PM, Hate said:

Name the teams...and I don't mean trade for a 6th round pick.  I mean a first round pick which would be fair compensation for a starting QB.  With his apparent salaray demands, not one team of the other 31 would trade for him. 

Carolina Panthers-no because of Bridgewater
Chicago Bears-no because of Trubisky and likely to sign a FA QB
Denver Broncos-I guess, but why??
Indianapolis Colts-no because they already have a less expensive version of Dak
Jacksonville Jaguars-no because of Minshew
Los Angeles Chargers-no because they will draft one
Los Angeles Rams-no because of Goff
Miami Dolphins-no because they will draft one
New England Patriots-no because Belichick knows Dak is average
New Orleans Saints-no because of Brees
New York Jets-no because of Darnold
Oakland Raiders-no because of Carr
Pittsburgh Steelers-no because of Ben
San Francisco 49ers-no because of Garoppolo
Tennessee Titans-no because of aggy
Washington Redskins-no because of Haskins

I mean, it took me one second to find a lol on that list. The Redskins are already done with Haskins and are looking to use their draft pick on a QB. They would trade for Dak in a nano second. The Chargers would slap their mother to get Dak. You are kidding yourself if there is no trade value for Dak. 

• Like 1

Why in the hell would the Chargers trade for Dak and his contract demands when they can draft a QB to mold and have on a rookie deal for 4 years.

And what makes you think the Redskins are done with Haskins? Outside of Arizona, how many teams give up on a first round pick after 9 starts?? And if they did bring in a veteran QB, they’d most likely bring in Cam over trading for Dak.

53 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I mean, it took me one second to find a lol on that list. The Redskins are already done with Haskins and are looking to use their draft pick on a QB. They would trade for Dak in a nano second. The Chargers would slap their mother to get Dak. You are kidding yourself if there is no trade value for Dak. 

wrong twice.  not surprised.

• Fuck You 1

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 4:06 PM, Hate said:

Carolina Panthers-no because of Bridgewater  (HAHaha)
Chicago Bears-no because of Trubisky and likely to sign a FA QB (HAHAH)
Denver Broncos-I guess, but why?? (Yep)
Indianapolis Colts-no because they already have a less expensive version of Dak, (Yeah they wouldn't trade for a guy whos vastly superior right now)
Jacksonville Jaguars-no because of Minshew, (I mean this is a troll job right?)
Los Angeles Chargers-no because they will draft one, (if they don't get Burrow or Tua(and that's questionable over Dak too especially with injuries) you think the other QB's are more valuable than Dak)
Los Angeles Rams-no because of Goff(they should)
Miami Dolphins-no because they will draft one(Only because Tua, and I'd take a healthy Dak over Tua right now...dude might not make it a few seasons)
New England Patriots-no because Belichick knows Dak is average(No because Belicheat knows it would take WAY too much to get Dak, and he needs to build his team)
New Orleans Saints-no because of Brees(For a year, then what?)
New York Jets-no because of Darnold(They should)
Oakland Raiders-no because of Carr(Dude the Raiders don't even want Carr anymore, still stupid)
Pittsburgh Steelers-no because of Ben(like with Brees...for what, another year?)
San Francisco 49ers-no because of Garoppolo(They should, Dak is better now)
Tennessee Titans-no because of aggy(This is a joke right?)
Washington Redskins-no because of Haskins(This is another joke right?)

You're futureman's sock aren't you?

Also, sorry this wasn't fast enough for you...I don't get on Surly on the weekends unless it's a game day.

Edited by Drew
  • Fuck You 1

Oh look, when someone calls out Futuremans sock, he negs me.  Awesome.

I'm just putting you two clowns on ignore...at least other Dak Haters have some logic behind their stupidity.

Edited by Drew
  • Fuck You 2