Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dallas will pay qbs ~34 million this season.  More if dalton hits some incentives. 

eagles paid 35 last season I believe, 32 and 3. 

saints are tough to figure because they restructured brees’ contract in order to pay bridgewater so I’ve no clue how to figure it, but brees’ cap number was “only” 25. But I think he’s owed quite a bit that was deferred to get a friendlier cap number. 

steelers paid 34 and 1 for Ben and Rudolph last year. 

Seattle was 35 just to Wilson. And almost a million more to geno Smith. 

we will see where Houston and KC land soon enough. 

so Dallas is towards the top in qb position compensation, but not crazily so. Btw rush apparently made over 2 million so adding dalton at 3 million isn’t that big a difference. 
dalton at 7 million means he’s been starting so things have gone horribly wrong with dak’s performance or an injury. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I understand going after the most money you can get. I totally understand. I just don’t think Dak and his agent are adept at reading the room. Sure in a normal year they’d ask for the top and Jerry would probably bend over and give them everything they asked for and more.

But after losing the division last year, Jerry did something I never thought he would do: fire Garrett. He kicked his ass out the door. After the season we had one would think that Dak and his agent should have negotiated something with the Cowboys. Instead it’s been a stalemate since before our shitty season started. Read the room. Jerry got rid of Garrett. We now have a Probowl back up QB who just happens to also like living in Dallas. If need be we can use him until we have to draft a QB. I know that a deal will probably get done since the deadline is July 15 and honestly that’s probably what they are shooting for anyway and will likely bend over when that time comes.

But this just feels like a different year. I never thought Jerruh would fire Garrett. But when we lost to the Eagles when Wentz was basically throwing to dudes from the practice squad Jerruh had finally had enough. A hold out with a new coach is never a good look. Jmo. 

The Cowboys have had troubled negotiations with 4 of their last 5 most high profile contracts. Lawrence,  Zeke,  Dez, & Dak were all drawn out with only Cooper being a non contentious negotiation (and from my judgement the lack of ongoing discussions with Cooper were only a result of the timing of it taking place at the exact same time as Dak's). At a certain point Stephen deserves a little blame in how he approaches these negotiations.  Either he's waiting too long to enter into serious contract discussions or he's grossly misevaluating the market because he always ends up finalizing a deal towards the higher end of the market. In Dak's case, given what he's set to earn under consecutive franchise tags there's a baseline starting point in terms of yearly money of which he'd be conceding a significant amount to go below.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

A big component of how effective an offense is, is based on how well the defense and special teams set them up in advantageous field position. Shit, the very fact that the offense can finish so highly in areas such as offensive DVOA (which I believe is a score and time dependent stat, essentially eliminating inconsequential offensive scoring and yardage) without the team being more successful is a clear indictment of how poorly the defense and special teams were wrt setting up field position.  I think even Bob Sturm or someone like him presented in his blog/ athletic article how the 2019 Cowboys were a historic, statistical marvel in terms of having the offensive success we had without yielding more successful team results. Many of you guys refuse to acknowledge or at the very least are greatly under appreciating how much of a handicap it is to have a defense and special teams that is among the worst in the league at making plays.  

I'm not disputing anything you're saying, but when we're specifically talking about the bold, these losses were a team effort. After the first 3 games, the expectations for this team and for this offense changed. The offense, fairly or unfairly, didn't meet the expectations that they set in after the 1st 3 games where they played arguably the 3 worst teams in the league. The numbers would say they did, but the fucking team would say it didn't. 

• Like 1

Interesting quote regarding the Dak contract stalemate: “Jerry just increased his roster talent and leverage in a single (relatively cheap) move by adding Andy Dalton. Players aren’t paid their worth, they’re paid their perceived worth.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

Then why is no team in the league doing that?

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2020/

No team will be doing it until Mahomes most likely approaches or meets that number.  40 million is a false pretense thrown around.  There's been no trustworthy reports of Dak asking for 40 million.  Goff's deal complicated things because it's overpriced.  Twice the Rams have sort of fucked the market on players.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

lulz, more spreadsheets.  dak was handing off to zeke and throwing to amari cooper, wentz was handing off to miles sanders and throwing to j.j. arcega-whiteside.  and it was wentz went to the playoffs.  he’s much, much better than dak.  it’s not worth arguing. 

15 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

No team will be doing it until Mahomes most likely approaches or meets that number.  40 million is a false pretense thrown around.  There's been no trustworthy reports of Dak asking for 40 million.  Goff's deal complicated things because it's overpriced.  Twice the Rams have sort of fucked the market on players.

Same with Watson, especially if BoB is their GM. But again, those two absolutely deserve it lol. Watson had Hopkins, but other than that he's dealt with a terrible situation. Bad Oline, little to no running game, and Watson consistently puts up numbers and makes the winning plays. 

Best case scenario, Rush faces up to the challenge balls out in preseason (though they're probably won't be one, or much of one) there's a fierce duel for the backup job and the Cowboys have a valuable spare commodity to trade after teams get their star QBs injured.

15 hours ago, Deej said:

Ain't saying Dak is all that, but you have some serious delusional hatred. Skin color, maybe?

not hatred at all.  I simply do not favor him because his talent and production do not justify the financial demands he is making.  plus he’s barely even black, you thick moron. 

Had a feeling that would happen. There was no competition for backup, and really there was no competition for 3rd string developmental qb when one of them is heading into the last year of his deal and the other is a rookie. Hopefully he catches on somewhere. Seemed like a good dude, and ultimately he was the one that pushed Kellen Moore into coaching sooner than later.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

2 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Had a feeling that would happen. There was no competition for backup, and really there was no competition for 3rd string developmental qb when one of them is heading into the last year of their deal and the other is a rookie. Hopefully he catches on somewhere. Seemed like a good dude, and ultimately he was the one that pushed Kellen Moore into coaching sooner than later.

Rush broke Moore's leg?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Rush broke Moore's leg?

No, but he clearly beat out Moore the following year when he became Dak’s backup. Linehan and Garrett clearly wanted Moore as the backup, but they couldn’t justify it after the preseason performances.

42 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

No, but he clearly beat out Moore the following year when he became Dak’s backup. Linehan and Garrett clearly wanted Moore as the backup, but they couldn’t justify it after the preseason performances.

That's when we had the "Tony Romo coming down from the booth, break glass in an emergency" backup plan.  I think Moore decided it was time to get into coaching full-time and Cowboys could make Rush the developmental guy..... he never developed.

Great news, if correct, and aligns with what some of us thought..... if he plays and plays a lot, he'll get some incentives, if not and just backs up, he'll get 3 million.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

They’ve been talking about it all day, but for those that are 100% confident that you have to pay Dak whatever he wants, Dak and Dalton had a pretty similar start to their career (Both from a statistical standpoint and win/loss record). Dalton had better wr options, but Dak clearly had a better oline and running game. Both won around the same amount of games, and outside of one game where Pete Carroll decided “im going to take the ball out of my best player’s hands and play into the cowboy’s defensive strength. Why you ask? Just to prove a point” they have similar playoff success too (again, not blaming that on Dak necessarily, but that is how qbs are judged, fairly or unfairly).

I know most people on this board would think Dalton was a very mediocre starting qb. He was, and there’s nothing wrong with that. You could win it all with prime Andy Dalton as long as the pieces around him were elite. However, the misleading stats would say he was borderline elite:

Not sure why the tweet is formatted that way, but the other 5 QBs they are referencing in the tweet:

Brees

Rodgers

Brady

Big Ben

Matt Ryan 

Now, we’ve watched Andy Dalton for his entire career. Fine qb. Definitely not special, but fine. Was there any point in his career where the bengals should’ve considered making him the highest paid player in the league. Wouldn’t you laugh at the idea of that being a possibility back in 2015? But Dak is a sure fire thing and you pay him whatever he wants just because of a July deadline? Gotcha. 

Dak and his team have to reassess their position a little bit. They can no longer use the “what aren’t  you going to do lol. Start a qb that has 3 career passes? How about you give me what ever the fuck i want” card. He needs to either sign this long term deal, or sign the franchise tag and get in the building. Even with everything I’ve said about Dak, if things fall the right way he has a chance to be an MVP caliber player. If that happens, and he has that kind of season after a franchise tag, write the man a fucking blank check and tell him to fill it in with ever he wants. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

you have to account for what dalton had around him in cincinnati.  if he gets a chance to play with this roster he will be a lot better than prescott.  conversely, if dak had played for the bengals he’d be an out of work XFL fullback right now. 

I mean I love how people pretend Dalton didn't have a good supporting cast.  Dude had AJ Green, Sanu, Marvin Jones, Eifert and Grisham(sp?) all in their primes, oh and some good to great running games too.  Oh, not to mention MUCH better Defenses(in Daltons early years) than Dallas has given Dak, OR Romo, the last decade.  Plus, I'd take Marvin Lewis and his staffs over Garrett, even if both are comparable.

Dak didn't TOUCH that kind of offensive talent until last season and now this season(we think).  Sure he had a better OL, but when are we going to accept that his OL is very overrated? Or at least has been since 2017?  This OL was ELITE from 2014-2016, but after that they've fallen off.  Due to injuries and/or just attrition.  2017 was torpedoed directly thanks to the OL falling apart, even more than Zeke missing 6 games.

Early 2018 the OL wasn't in top shape(and Fred was gone) as well as believing that even Good QB's could make Cole Beasley a #1 WR.  

Funnily enough, when Cooper came, and Gallup started to come into his own...as well as some coaching changes allowing Dak to air the ball out more and the addition of Cobb, all of sudden wow...Dak looks like he has the potential to be Elite.

Dak is the starter and going to get paid.  Dalton is a GREAT insurance policy.

Cowboys will win the East and double digit games this year, just like they do EVERY other year since 2014.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

I mean I love how people pretend Dalton didn't have a good supporting cast.  Dude had AJ Green, Sanu, Marvin Jones, Eifert and Grisham(sp?) all in their primes, oh and some good to great running games too.  Oh, not to mention MUCH better Defenses(in Daltons early years) than Dallas has given Dak, OR Romo, the last decade.  Plus, I'd take Marvin Lewis and his staffs over Garrett, even if both are comparable.

Dak didn't TOUCH that kind of offensive talent until last season and now this season(we think).  Sure he had a better OL, but when are we going to accept that his OL is very overrated? Or at least has been since 2017?  This OL was ELITE from 2014-2016, but after that they've fallen off.  Due to injuries and/or just attrition.  2017 was torpedoed directly thanks to the OL falling apart, even more than Zeke missing 6 games.

Early 2018 the OL wasn't in top shape(and Fred was gone) as well as believing that even Good QB's could make Cole Beasley a #1 WR.  

Funnily enough, when Cooper came, and Gallup started to come into his own...as well as some coaching changes allowing Dak to air the ball out more and the addition of Cobb, all of sudden wow...Dak looks like he has the potential to be Elite.

Dak is the starter and going to get paid.  Dalton is a GREAT insurance policy.

Cowboys will win the East and double digit games this year, just like they do EVERY other year since 2014.

no, all of this is wrong.  

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

They’ve been talking about it all day, but for those that are 100% confident that you have to pay Dak whatever he wants, Dak and Dalton had a pretty similar start to their career (Both from a statistical standpoint and win/loss record). Dalton had better wr options, but Dak clearly had a better oline and running game. Both won around the same amount of games, and outside of one game where Pete Carroll decided “im going to take the ball out of my best player’s hands and play into the cowboy’s defensive strength. Why you ask? Just to prove a point” they have similar playoff success too (again, not blaming that on Dak necessarily, but that is how qbs are judged, fairly or unfairly).

I know most people on this board would think Dalton was a very mediocre starting qb. He was, and there’s nothing wrong with that. You could win it all with prime Andy Dalton as long as the pieces around him were elite. However, the misleading stats would say he was borderline elite:

Not sure why the tweet is formatted that way, but the other 5 QBs they are referencing in the tweet:

Brees

Rodgers

Brady

Big Ben

Matt Ryan 

Now, we’ve watched Andy Dalton for his entire career. Fine qb. Definitely not special, but fine. Was there any point in his career where the bengals should’ve considered making him the highest paid player in the league. Wouldn’t you laugh at the idea of that being a possibility back in 2015? But Dak is a sure fire thing and you pay him whatever he wants just because of a July deadline? Gotcha. 

Dak and his team have to reassess their position a little bit. They can no longer use the “what aren’t  you going to do lol. Start a qb that has 3 career passes? How about you give me what ever the fuck i want” card. He needs to either sign this long term deal, or sign the franchise tag and get in the building. Even with everything I’ve said about Dak, if things fall the right way he has a chance to be an MVP caliber player. If that happens, and he has that kind of season after a franchise tag, write the man a fucking blank check and tell him to fill it in with ever he wants. 

source.gif

Rk Player From To AV G QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Rate Lng Int Sk Yds Y/A AY/A NY/A ANY/A Att Yds TD Y/A Lng Rec Yds TD Y/R Lng
1 Andy Dalton 2011 2014 48 64 40-23-1 1301 2111 61.6 14758 99 85.2 84 66 120 695 7.0 6.52 6.30 5.86 205 624 11 3.0 20 1 18 1 18.0 18
2 Andrew Luck 2012 2015 48 55 35-20-0 1224 2106 58.1 14838 101 85.0 87 55 115 722 7.0 6.83 6.36 6.15 222 1101 12 5.0 29 0 0 0   0
3 Dak Prescott 2016 2019 60 64 40-24-0 1363 2071 65.8 15778 97 97.0 90 36 136 826 7.6 7.77 6.77 6.92 241 1221 21 5.1 42 0 0 0   0

I'm not sure there a lot of folks clamoring for Dak to be paid whatever he wants, but here's a comparison for you too...... One became the highest paid player in the game.  Another signed about the 6-7 richest deal at his position (he had the final year of his rookie deal in there which dilutes the numbers) and the other is a free agent this year.  I don't think anyone WANTS Dak to be the highest paid player.  I don't think even Dak is asking to be the highest paid player in the league, although he certainly is asking to be in the company of the Goff and Wentz's of the world.  Also, Dalton didn't get a richer deal because he was horrid in the playoffs with a 0-4 record and 57.8 QB rating.  Dak's QB Rating in the playoffs is 95.7.  Luck's was 70ish.

I'm not a pay Dak whatever he wants guy..... but I am someone who has watched the Jones' family and strongly thinks they'll pay him and pay him well....

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

source.gif

Rk Player From To AV G QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Rate Lng Int Sk Yds Y/A AY/A NY/A ANY/A Att Yds TD Y/A Lng Rec Yds TD Y/R Lng
1 Andy Dalton 2011 2014 48 64 40-23-1 1301 2111 61.6 14758 99 85.2 84 66 120 695 7.0 6.52 6.30 5.86 205 624 11 3.0 20 1 18 1 18.0 18
2 Andrew Luck 2012 2015 48 55 35-20-0 1224 2106 58.1 14838 101 85.0 87 55 115 722 7.0 6.83 6.36 6.15 222 1101 12 5.0 29 0 0 0   0
3 Dak Prescott 2016 2019 60 64 40-24-0 1363 2071 65.8 15778 97 97.0 90 36 136 826 7.6 7.77 6.77 6.92 241 1221 21 5.1 42 0 0 0   0

I'm not sure there a lot of folks clamoring for Dak to be paid whatever he wants, but here's a comparison for you too...... One became the highest paid player in the game.  Another signed about the 6-7 richest deal at his position (he had the final year of his rookie deal in there which dilutes the numbers) and the other is a free agent this year.  I don't think anyone WANTS Dak to be the highest paid player.  I don't think even Dak is asking to be the highest paid player in the league, although he certainly is asking to be in the company of the Goff and Wentz's of the world.  Also, Dalton didn't get a richer deal because he was horrid in the playoffs with a 0-4 record and 57.8 QB rating.  Dak's QB Rating in the playoffs is 95.7.  Luck's was 70ish.

I'm not a pay Dak whatever he wants guy..... but I am someone who has watched the Jones' family and strongly thinks they'll pay him and pay him well....

This graphic is showing up distorted for some reason on tapa, so I’ll have to look at it later. Sounds like we’re more on the same page than I originally thought. I know we’re going to pay him whatever he wants (or at least I did before the dalton signing. Now I dont know). I just think now we can stand firm on that franchise tag and make him prove it this year. The July deadline doesn’t mean shit

Edited by youdunnf'dup

1 hour ago, SurlyBDR said:

How the fuck do we not own a Surly Horns football franchise? We've got so many talented front office personnel here that we could have several Super Bowls by now honestly 

don’t forget a full coaching staff. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SurlyBDR said:

How the fuck do we not own a Surly Horns football franchise? We've got so many talented front office personnel here that we could have several Super Bowls by now honestly 

They'd be out of money before the first season...  They spend it worse than a woman on credit card tilt at the mall or a dude on a bender at the casino.

At the car dealership, they pay $90k for an Accord...because it's going to cost that much eventually.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, futureman said:

you have to account for what dalton had around him in cincinnati.  if he gets a chance to play with this roster he will be a lot better than prescott.  conversely, if dak had played for the bengals he’d be an out of work XFL fullback right now. 

The most points the Bengals ever scored in an Andy Dalton led playoff game was 13, and 7 of those were on a pick 6. 

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

The most points the Bengals ever scored in an Andy Dalton led playoff game was 13, and 7 of those were on a pick 6. 

It’s funny because 5 games (or is it 6 games) would be considered a small sample size for just about anything other than nfl postseason performances for a qb. But Dalton is going to go down as maybe the worst postseason qb ever. 

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

Dalton made the playoffs more than Romo.

Yup. And he was having a borderline MVP season in 2015 before he broke his thumb and missed the rest of the year. I think they ended up 12-4 and lost in the first round wild card game to the Steelers. That might even be the game where Burfict permanently broke AB’s brain.  

Yes Andy had a good career going, until Cincy all of sudden let the bottom fall out.

His first 4 seasons were great and he had even more talent around him than Dak did.  Obviously  his playoff record hurts, but it's not the losses, it's the performance that really hurt his standing for most people.  He was BAD.

But still, it's a GREAT back up option and has NO bearing on Dak or his deal.  None.

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Same amount (4 years) but in less seasons, sort of.  Romo was hurt a lot..... Romo was 2-4 with a 93 QB Rating.  Dalton still has a goose egg.  He's still a good backup option.

If the cowboys are not using dalton as leverage, then Im severely disappointed in the cowboys and their ability to negotiate. 

Honestly, I cant imagine why anyone would get their panties in a wad over them gaining leverage. 

41 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

If the cowboys are not using dalton as leverage, then Im severely disappointed in the cowboys and their ability to negotiate. 

Honestly, I cant imagine why anyone would get their panties in a wad over them gaining leverage. 

they are absolutely using dalton as leverage.  just because some clown on the other end of "blogging the boys" twatter says otherwise doesn't amount to a bowl of shit.

46 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Yeah, that's a dumb tweet. At a minimum, it's eliminated Dak's leverage if he decides to sit out because Dalton is a million times more attractive under center than Cooper Rush ever would be. The Cowboys can enter the 2020 season with Dalton as a starting QB if necessary. It would've been suicide with Rush -- and that is now gone.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, that's a dumb tweet. At a minimum, it's eliminated Dak's leverage if he decides to sit out because Dalton is a million times more attractive under center than Cooper Rush ever would be. The Cowboys can enter the 2020 season with Dalton as a starting QB if necessary. It would've been suicide with Rush -- and that is now gone.

The goal is to win now, though. Dalton is leading this team nowhere if he had to play the whole season. Can he tread water? Sure. But they didn't making staff changes and had the offseason they had to tread water. Dak still holds the leverage if they want to win now. Both sides know this. There is no doubt a deal will get done. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

The goal is to win now, though. Dalton is leading this team nowhere if he had to play the whole season. Can he tread water? Sure. But they didn't making staff changes and had the offseason they had to tread water. Dak still holds the leverage if they want to win now. Both sides know this. There is no doubt a deal will get done. 

Dak is under team control for two more seasons whether they get a deal done or not. And do you really think they're going to get a deal done right now? When they're not certain they will play the whole season and the medium term cap ramifications of the sharp decrease in revenue?