Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s a tough schedule. I did just lmao at the Brady-less Patriots schedule. Three back to back road games and also must face: 49ers, Ravens, Rams, Seattle and Chiefs.  Have fun with that shit. Lulz. 

NFL channel had us at the 4th easiest schedule. I still see us at 9-7 at best.

10 hours ago, DougO said:

You never know how tough the schedule really is until they play. I'm just glad they ended the shitty tradition of back to back Thursday games.

I thought Washington and Baltimore are Thanksgiving and the following Thursday? 

There really is no use in trying to decipher the schedule in May. Hell, the schedule is even fluid during the season. Remember when we were supposed to roll through the AFC East last year besides NE? Bills and Jets kicked our ass. We went 1-3. And before the season, the Bears were supposed to be very tough. Then as the season unfolded, it was shown they were a weak team. And we still got our ass kicked. Rams were looked to be a very tough game and we kicked their ass with ease.

Yep.  No use right now.  When I say they're winning double digit games and the division I'm not even taking schedule into account.  I'm taking track record and the changes made to the team/coaching mostly.

Cowboys were great in 14', 16', 18', and always bounced back after a lackluster season.  See no reason they don't now. Hell, I think with McCarthy we might break that trend and stay good for several years, especially with the offensive talent(fucking sign Dak Jerry). 

No one has one this division in back to back years, and you KNOW the Skins/Giants aren't winning it.  I don't see the Eagles taking it again.

Also I see teams we think are good, like the 49rs, falling back a bit, especially with that division they're playing in(Cards and Rams will be better, Seattle is Seattle).

6 hours ago, TornACL said:

I thought Washington and Baltimore are Thanksgiving and the following Thursday? 

Ah, OK, well shocker of all shockers, Goodell is still a commie piece of shit.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Drew said:

Yep.  No use right now.  When I say they're winning double digit games and the division I'm not even taking schedule into account.  I'm taking track record and the changes made to the team/coaching mostly.

Cowboys were great in 14', 16', 18', and always bounced back after a lackluster season.  See no reason they don't now. Hell, I think with McCarthy we might break that trend and stay good for several years, especially with the offensive talent(fucking sign Dak Jerry). 

No one has one this division in back to back years, and you KNOW the Skins/Giants aren't winning it.  I don't see the Eagles taking it again.

Also I see teams we think are good, like the 49rs, falling back a bit, especially with that division they're playing in(Cards and Rams will be better, Seattle is Seattle).

Those other teams weren't implementing new systems and new philosophies on both sides of the ball, possibly without even the benefit of a full regimen of offseason and training camp/preseason programs. And keeping the old ones instead probably wouldn't be a great help, either.

• Like 1

That's fair.  But I think adding the new coach during games and during the season will offset that lack of offseason learning they would usually have. 

Basically the new direction, itself, will be enough to overcome the bad coaching we've been griping about for year.

Five Teams That Got Screwed by the 2020 NFL Schedule

From short weeks to cross-country road trips and clusters of tough games, here are five teams with legitimate gripes about their 2020 schedule.

CONOR ORR.         22 HOURS AGO

Dallas Cowboys 

This is an interesting one given that, by strength of schedule, Dallas has the third-easiest slate in the NFL. However, I don’t see many pockets on their schedule that provide a soft landing spot if they’re in a rough patch (not uncommon with a new head coach). In fact, I don’t count a single two-game stretch that would automatically lead me to pencil in a pair of wins for the Cowboys without thinking twice.

The Cowboys start the season with road trips to Los Angeles (Rams) and Seattle within the first three weeks (their home game is against the Falcons). Within the first eight weeks they have three prime time games followed by another stretch of three prime time games in four weeks at the end of the season (counting the Thanksgiving matchup at 4:25).

(Other 4 were 49ers, Tampa, Texans, and J-E-T-S)

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/08/nfl-schedule-49ers-buccaneers-screwed

Since Stephen Jones has ruled out rescinding the franchise tag here’s what could happen if a deal is not done by the July 15 deadline. 

Here’s what this means, as a practical matter: If the Cowboys and Prescott don’t get a long-term deal finalized before the July 15 deadline for doing so, Dak will make $31.4 million this year. Then, in 2021, the Cowboys would have to offer Prescott $37.68 million (a 20-percent raise over his 2020 salary) in order to keep him from becoming a free agent.

That’s $69.08 million for two years with a 44-percent raise over $37.68 million ($54.25 million) for a third franchise tag in 2022 (or another 20-percent raise — $45.21 million — for a transition tag in 2022), and that’s why Dak reportedly is looking for a deal that averages $35 million per year. If Dak is willing to play on a year-to-year basis for two more years, he’ll pocket nearly $70 million in salary (plus enhanced marketing money for being the quarterback of America’s Team) and he’ll either hit the market or the ultra-jackpot in 2022.

By ruling out rescinding the tender, the Cowboys have accepted the fact that they’ll either give Dak a record contract or see the clock tick loudly toward a potential financial nightmare, or the departure of their starting quarterback.
https://sports.yahoo.com/cowboys-rule-rescinding-dak-prescott-160613007.html

The idea that they'd rescind the Tag at all was not only laughable, but showed how stupid some people were to think they'd even consider it.

Also, once the Tag is finally signed(if no deal is done before July 15th), I think that'll pretty much guarantee it will get done.  The Cowboys will NOT pay him 38 mil next year or 54 the year after that because of Franchise Tags.

I don’t know how much say dak is letting his agent have, but I do wonder if/how earning 31 million next year will change his thinking. 
that’s what 15 million or so net after taxes and agent fees?  Plus what he makes for soup commercials and video games and whatever else, all of a sudden he could be in a real comfortable financial position. 

maybe it doesn’t matter, maybe his agent won’t let it matter, but I think if I was making 500k or whatever and all of a sudden I made 31 million, I may relax a little when it comes to future compensation and not demanding top dollar. 
Could be like 29th on the list of considerations for him, I don’t know. They just paid me 31 million and will guarantee me 80 million more sounds pretty good, such that demanding 100 million guaranteed may not be a deal breaker. 

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t know how much say dak is letting his agent have, but I do wonder if/how earning 31 million next year will change his thinking. 
that’s what 15 million or so net after taxes and agent fees?  Plus what he makes for soup commercials and video games and whatever else, all of a sudden he could be in a real comfortable financial position. 

maybe it doesn’t matter, maybe his agent won’t let it matter, but I think if I was making 500k or whatever and all of a sudden I made 31 million, I may relax a little when it comes to future compensation and not demanding top dollar. 
Could be like 29th on the list of considerations for him, I don’t know. They just paid me 31 million and will guarantee me 80 million more sounds pretty good, such that demanding 100 million guaranteed may not be a deal breaker. 

Dannon Yogurt, Campbell's Chunky Soup, Sleep number bed, Buick, Pepsi...

Dak is not hurting for money. He hasn't been for a few years now. I don't know the numbers to his endorsement deals obviously, but he has been in regular commercials for all of the brands listed above. It's not like Dak has a ton of personality. That is part of being QB for America's team. 

Dak's agent knows how the Jones family talks about Dak to the public. His team has made it pretty clear by their actions. Highest paid player or bust. 

It kinda cracks me how Stephen/Double J always tell us the fans (through the media) the reason these deals get stretched out for such a ridiculously long time is because  the deals are complicated bc there is BIG money involved. Like they are the ONLY ones that deal with complicated contracts and BIG money and players. No. It is just that they drag deals out. Why? I don’t know but it’s a fact. If they are just gonna give Dak what he wants and don’t get a deal done until the deadline to me that is dumb. Particularly if he misses a ton of virtual camp by holding out. New coach etc...they said they are definitely tweaking the offense. With the damn COVID and being unable to physically practice they will need all the virtual camp they can get. That is my opinion obviously. But there is no point in dragging this deal out any longer if they are just going to give in on July 15. I have no problem with it if he just gets the 31 million on a prove it basis on the tag. So I can understand if he wants too much. But they have said Dak is their guy and want to keep him. So why drag out the deal? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

It kinda cracks me how Stephen/Double J always tell us the fans (through the media) the reason these deals get stretched out for such a ridiculously long time is because  the deals are complicated bc there is BIG money involved. Like they are the ONLY ones that deal with complicated contracts and BIG money and players. No. It is just that they drag deals out. Why? I don’t know but it’s a fact. If they are just gonna give Dak what he wants and don’t get a deal done until the deadline to me that is dumb. Particularly if he misses a ton of virtual camp by holding out. New coach etc...they said they are definitely tweaking the offense. With the damn COVID and being unable to physically practice they will need all the virtual camp they can get. That is my opinion obviously. But there is no point in dragging this deal out any longer if they are just going to give in on July 15. I have no problem with it if he just gets the 31 million on a prove it basis on the tag. So I can understand if he wants too much. But they have said Dak is their guy and want to keep him. So why drag out the deal? 

there are two things to think about here. first of all, they know that dak is not on the level of russell wilson or aaron rodgers or drew brees or tom brady or pat mahomes, et al.  those guys are true talents and can win with anybody that you surround them with.  dak is not that good, so he absolutely should not be paid on their level.  dak needs talented players around him to pick up his slack.  so you pay him less in order to pay more money to his supporting cast.  second, jerry and his dumb mistake also know the value of being a cowboys quarterback. look at troy aikman and tony romo, the two top announcers in football making tens of millions into their post-playing career.  if dak leaves to play for indianapolis he isn’t getting those opportunities after he retires.  period.  so that stupid greedy overrated pile of human excrement needs to just shut his stupid fucking mouth and take the $30MM/year that he doesn’t deserve and continue to disappoint this fan base for another 5-7 years.

Edited by futureman

19 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Video of Ben DiNucci training for his pro day. Don’t know if he is nfl material but he can sure as hell spin it. Hope we can see some of him in the preseason before he goes to practice squad

Link didn't work....

Try this one:  

What pro QB does he best compare to??

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Never thought Romo would amount to anything.  You surround a young Romo with this talent and McCarthy?  Hands down better than Dak. Having said that I was really encouraged for the most part about progressions Dak made. Hope he continues. 

unfortunately it is going to take at least another season of this team underachieving due to poor quarterback play for jerry to seriously consider making a change.  the future of this team rests on utilizing the tag: if we can avoid signing dak to a long term deal before july 15 there is legitimate hope to be competitive in 2021 and beyond with a smarter and more competent football player taking the snaps.  if the long term deal is made then just focus on the horns and college football until 2027 or so. 

On 5/9/2020 at 2:10 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

Dannon Yogurt, Campbell's Chunky Soup, Sleep number bed, Buick, Pepsi...

Dak is not hurting for money. He hasn't been for a few years now. I don't know the numbers to his endorsement deals obviously, but he has been in regular commercials for all of the brands listed above. It's not like Dak has a ton of personality. That is part of being QB for America's team. 

Dak's agent knows how the Jones family talks about Dak to the public. His team has made it pretty clear by their actions. Highest paid player or bust. 

No they have not made that clear, and I don't know why people keep saying that.

It's years and structure/guarantees. That's it.  The Cowboys are already willing to pay him just under/around Wilson(rightfully so), but only at 5 years and from recent reports, slightly less guaranteed than Wentz/Goff.

Also, NOTHING he makes off the field has ANY bearing on his contract.  Nor should it.  Or Jeter/Arod should have taken pay cuts, and so should anyone playing for the Knicks, Celtics, and Lakers.

9 minutes ago, Drew said:

No they have not made that clear, and I don't know why people keep saying that.

It's years and structure/guarantees. That's it.  The Cowboys are already willing to pay him just under/around Wilson(rightfully so), but only at 5 years and from recent reports, slightly less guaranteed than Wentz/Goff.

Also, NOTHING he makes off the field has ANY bearing on his contract.  Nor should it.  Or Jeter/Arod should have taken pay cuts, and so should anyone playing for the Knicks, Celtics, and Lakers.

The offer they made to him, according to Charles Robinson and Mike Fisher (both are well established cowboys reporters), would make him the highest paid player in the league RIGHT NOW on a yearly basis. Did you just gloss over that part while you were blindly defending Dak and his honor, or what happened there lol? I have a feeling mike fisher and his sources have a better sense of the situation than either one of us do, so I’m going to go ahead and take their word for it and say that my assumption was right. And pretty obvious if you’ve been following this negotiation 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

5 years including 2020?  
Because what’s the difference between 5 years now and 4 years after a franchise tag this year?  Other than dak not being protected from a career ending injury this year?

does dak ask for 3 years if he plays on the tag this season?

The way the contract is written, Dallas can likely bring his cap number down over the next 2 years, so that's their incentive to get the deal done.    Dak protecting himself from an Alex Smith injury is his incentive.

I doubt it becomes a 3 year deal.  I think the Boys want the 5 year chassis to spread out more bonus and maybe a 3rd year trigger bonus like Wentz's deal.  

17 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

The offer they made to him, according to Charles Robinson and Mike Fisher (both are well established cowboys reporters), would make him the highest paid player in the league RIGHT NOW on a yearly basis. Did you just gloss over that part while you were blindly defending Dak and his honor, or what happened there lol? I have a feeling mike fisher and his sources have a better sense of the situation than either one of us do, so I’m going to go ahead and take their word for it and say that my assumption was right. And pretty obvious if you’ve been following this negotiation 

If Fisher's figures are correct (a big if, he's usually in the ballpark but rarely gets the deets 100), then he would be tied with Wilson for AAV and 4th in guaranteed money.

18 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

While you are going off on a tangent maybe you missed the part about it being "clear" and the fact that the only numbers that have come out have talked about him being in the same ballpark as Wilson.  So not THE highest played player.

You guys are so blinded by the mere idea that Dak Prescott might get paid and maybe isn't he trash heap you think he is, that you can't see strait.

36 minutes ago, Drew said:

While you are going off on a tangent maybe you missed the part about it being "clear" and the fact that the only numbers that have come out have talked about him being in the same ballpark as Wilson.  So not THE highest played player.

You guys are so blinded by the mere idea that Dak Prescott might get paid and maybe isn't he trash heap you think he is, that you can't see strait.

What does seeing George Strait have to do with any of this?

All kidding aside, what are you predicting happens, Drew? Do we get a deal done before July 15th? And if so, who do you think is going to cave? Is Dak going to cave and say “what’s one year when I’m guaranteed $100mil+” or is Dallas going to say “we’ve already gotten down on our knees and given in to his contract demands. Whatever, just give him exactly what he wants.”

And another factor in all of this. You guys keep saying his contract is going to look like pennies after Watson and mahomes get paid. What happens if/when Watson becomes the highest paid player in the league? What does that do to the contract negotiations with Dak? I would assume Dak and his agent feel like they deserve to make more money than Watson. If Watson gets paid before Dak, we’re heading towards Dak playing on the tag. And if that happens, what exactly will change in the following years contract talks? History shows that qbs who play on the tag don’t sign long term deals with their team. It just becomes way too messy at that point. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Caesars Sportsbook has installed Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes as a 4-1 favorite to win the award.

Next on the list is Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson, the 2019 regular-season MVP. Jackson has 13-2 odds to win the award for a second straight year.

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott follows at 9-1. Then comes Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson at 12-1.

22 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Caesars Sportsbook has installed Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes as a 4-1 favorite to win the award.

Next on the list is Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson, the 2019 regular-season MVP. Jackson has 13-2 odds to win the award for a second straight year.

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott follows at 9-1. Then comes Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson at 12-1.

Not surprising at all. He’s widely regarded as the 3rd best fantasy qb because of the weapons and the stats he put up last year. If this team is going to be good, the offense is going to have to carry this team. And if it does, and we’re in the running for a top seed in the nfc, Dak will be in the MVP discussion. But, as someone who has watched this team have zero consistency from year to year or my entire life, would it really shock anyone if our offense underachieved? 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

The Dallas Cowboys are traveling left-of-center in an attempt to placate quarterback Dak Prescott’s long-term contract demands. That is, they’re purportedly veering toward Prescott’s lane rather than meeting the 26-year-old in the middle.

According to Mike Fisher of SI.com, Prescott has “a monster offer on the table now” worth $35 million annually with “more than” $106 million guaranteed, a fairly significant increase from the team’s last rejected proposal ($33.5 million AAV, $105 million guaranteed).

The current offer would make Prescott both the highest-paid player in Cowboys single-season history and perhaps the richest player on a per-year basis in NFL history, potentially surpassing Seattle’s Russell Wilson ($35 million). The guaranteed money, however, would fall short of Los Angeles QB Jared Goff’s record-setting mark ($110 million).

At $175 million in total value, Prescott would dwarf Atlanta QB Matt Ryan’s $150 million pact. But that’s assuming Dallas springs for a four-year agreement — Prescott’s preference — instead of securing a five-year deal, on which the organization is standing its ground. The latter scenario “reduces” the windfall to “just” $140 million, putting Prescott and Wilson on equal footing.

Fisher allows that Prescott may opt for Door No. 2: Playing the 2020 campaign under his $31.4 million exclusive franchise tag before re-testing the Cowboys’ mettle in 2021.

The sides have until the league-mandated July 15 deadline to work out an extension. Considering Prescott hasn’t touched pen to paper, though, it appears he still isn’t satisfied with what’s on the table.

from heavy.com

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

What does seeing George Strait have to do with any of this?

All kidding aside, what are you predicting happens, Drew? Do we get a deal done before July 15th? And if so, who do you think is going to cave? Is Dak going to cave and say “what’s one year when I’m guaranteed $100mil+” or is Dallas going to say “we’ve already gotten down on our knees and given in to his contract demands. Whatever, just give him exactly what he wants.”

And another factor in all of this. You guys keep saying his contract is going to look like pennies after Watson and mahomes get paid. What happens if/when Watson becomes the highest paid player in the league? What does that do to the contract negotiations with Dak? I would assume Dak and his agent feel like they deserve to make more money than Watson. If Watson gets paid before Dak, we’re heading towards Dak playing on the tag. And if that happens, what exactly will change in the following years contract talks? History shows that qbs who play on the tag don’t sign long term deals with their team. It just becomes way too messy at that point. 

I expect the Cowboys to do what they always do. Take it til the absolute deadline and end up totally giving in like they did with Dez, Lawrence, and Zeke. Stephen isn't any good at this. The only mitigating force is the Rona which may cause them to suspend things and just stick with the tag. Only to restart the dance next year where they'll ultimately give in to, albeit under a little more financial certainty.