Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear, you fucking guys will believe anything someone tweets. It's pretty clear Dallas wants five years, Dak wants four. I assume he and his agent sees the trends and realizes that average QBs will be getting well over $35 by then, and assuming he is still playing at a high level, Dak can do better at that time. The Cowboys want to lock him in for that extra year. My guess is Dallas will give in and Dak will get $35 for four years. I think it's fair. As much as the market will likely keep soaring, he also could regress, so I don't see much downside for the Cowboys to do 4 instead of 5.

• Like 1

Pretty much spot on. But leave it to Iceman to focus on the 45 mil part thinking that's a real thing or that it was for the entire contract.

It's the 5th year.  It's a sticking point, and has always been the sticking point. If Dallas wants Dak for 5 years, they'll have to pay for that 5th year.

He'll sign 4 for 35 if the guarantees are right and that's about the right price for him now.  But they can't seem to get that last year right.

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

Pretty much spot on. But leave it to Iceman to focus on the 45 mil part thinking that's a real thing or that it was for the entire contract.

It's the 5th year.  It's a sticking point, and has always been the sticking point. If Dallas wants Dak for 5 years, they'll have to pay for that 5th year.

He'll sign 4 for 35 if the guarantees are right and that's about the right price for him now.  But they can't seem to get that last year right.

Fuck you drew.  Quote me on that allegation or just shut the fuck up, dude.

He wants the 4 because after the team is decimated in free agency and he's getting obliterated, he's gonna want to bail.

He should be fucking ecstatic at their generosity of offering a 5th year.  It's gonna be a shitshow deluxe.

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Iceman

35 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Sam fucking Darnold said this after the Jets punked us. Darnold looked like an all pro. This was right when he returned from mono. He said Dallas never disguised anything and he knew exactly what we would do and where everyone would be on every play. Embarrassing. He torched us that day. So did Trubisky. Both of these QBs were fucking spares that season until they played our generic ass scheme on defense. Even a high school QB would not be confused by what we do.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lulz. I don't care what Simms has to say about anything. I said fuck him for the 2001 Big 12 championship game.

but don’t fuck dak for losing to an eagles team comprised of arena league players when we’re trying to get into the postseason?

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

but don’t fuck dak for losing to an eagles team comprised of arena league players when we’re trying to get into the postseason?

Well I don't care much about seeing 2 special ed teams fight it out to win a shit ass division. That outcome did not bother me. I did care much more about a game that would have gotten Texas to the national championship game, too. And Simms was a bitch who faked an injury to get himself out of that game because he couldn't handle it after shitting the bed on national tv.

Also, what exactly is Simms reporting that is true? That clown is the only one who reported it. Not one local guy said anything about it. No national media ran anything about it aside from Simms' report. Schefter and Rappaport already came out and said there has been no movement. But yeah, Chris Simms has all this inside knowledge about a negotiation behind the scenes in Dallas that no one else has. Riiiiiiight. 

except it doesn’t contradict anything about the narrative.  jerry and his special needs child offer 5 years 175.  dak wants 4 years.  if he’s gonna sign for 5 he wants 45 on that 5th year.  it’s really the only plausible scenario for what’s going on, and falls in line with everything else being reported.  

it’s the truth.  nothing but. 

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Also, what exactly is Simms reporting that is true? That clown is the only one who reported it. Not one local guy said anything about it. No national media ran anything about it aside from Simms' report. Schefter and Rappaport already came out and said there has been no movement. But yeah, Chris Simms has all this inside knowledge about a negotiation behind the scenes in Dallas that no one else has. Riiiiiiight. 

so you're a Shefty guy, eh?

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Sam fucking Darnold said this after the Jets punked us. Darnold looked like an all pro. This was right when he returned from mono. He said Dallas never disguised anything and he knew exactly what we would do and where everyone would be on every play. Embarrassing. He torched us that day. So did Trubisky. Both of these QBs were fucking spares that season until they played our generic ass scheme on defense. Even a high school QB would not be confused by what we do.

And you want pay Dak $35 per when he can't even disguise coverages for the defense? Wake up dude!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

They can remove it, and just leave him on his rookie contract?

are you trolling?  his rookie contract has expired.  and he hasn’t even signed the tag yet. technically he is unemployed and not a dallas cowboy right now. 

Everyone with any sources actually inside either camp has said that Dak's agency and the Cowboys haven't even spoken since late march or very early April.

Every time someone posts something, like Chris Simms, or whoever else, it's just to the get the idiotic lemmings to blow up social media for another day.

NOTHING has changed in their contract talks.  And NOTHING will until closer to the deadline. 

All this does is drag up more Dak haters saying stupid shit, and Dak Supporters having to go through the litany of reasons and proof that Dak is actually a good fucking QB.

It's stupid, and yet we continue to do this every time some idiot on Twitter or ESPN says something like "Derrrrr….I heard Dak want's 45 mil a year, derrr", and the gullible folks fall for it.

6 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I know they’ve tagged him but they can tag a player with 2 years remaining on existing contract, right?

And I know they can extend his contract soon and he wouldn’t be subject to playing on the tag this year. But can they not extend his contract, and rescind the tag?

His contract is done. He was a 4th round draft pick and thus only had 4 years on his rookie deal. There's no contract to extend, hence the need to tag Dak to prevent him from becoming a free agent.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Everyone with any sources actually inside either camp has said that Dak's agency and the Cowboys haven't even spoken since late march or very early April.

Every time someone posts something, like Chris Simms, or whoever else, it's just to the get the idiotic lemmings to blow up social media for another day.

NOTHING has changed in their contract talks.  And NOTHING will until closer to the deadline. 

All this does is drag up more Dak haters saying stupid shit, and Dak Supporters having to go through the litany of reasons and proof that Dak is actually a good fucking QB.

It's stupid, and yet we continue to do this every time some idiot on Twitter or ESPN says something like "Derrrrr….I heard Dak want's 45 mil a year, derrr", and the gullible folks fall for it.

Every time "news" comes out about contract negotiations its from the Cowboys perspective. In fact in everyone of these high profile contract discussions it's always the Cowboys releasing news to besmirch their players publicly. They did it with Dez, Demarcus Lawrence, Zeke, and now Dak. The Cowboys love creating chaos and being at the media forefront, but this sort of stuff damages their players' reputations with the public and it never pays off in giving them better contract terms.  

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

and it never pays off in giving them better contract terms.  

it would, though, if jerry and his downy son didn’t always cave in at the deadline.  zeke would have played the whole season last year without a new contract.  this season?  he might have held out games.  but then again we’d probably have already signed dak by now. 

Edited by futureman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

it would, though, if jerry and his downy son didn’t always cave in at the deadline.  zeke would have played the whole season last year without a new contract.  this season?  he might have held out games.  but then again we’d probably have already signed dak by now. 

I agree. Breaking the bank on a position that has been losing value every day for the last decade and doing it on a player who still had 2 years remaining on his contract was an absolute all-timer.

On 5/22/2020 at 1:30 AM, futureman said:

Honestly, yeah. I'm fucking glad that Dak didn't bail out Jason Garrett's dumb ass yet again.

8 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Honestly, yeah. I'm fucking glad that Dak didn't bail out Jason Garrett's dumb ass yet again.

yeah but the important thing is that dak was trying his absolute best to beat that arena league team and save ginger’s ass and he still couldn’t do it.  last year with zeke elliott and a great pair of receivers he went 8-8 and watched the wild card round from his couch.  because he’s a greedy, overrated pussy. 

On 5/22/2020 at 5:41 AM, Iceman said:

so you're a Shefty guy, eh?

Actually it was reported by actual Cowboys beat writers.  Chris Simms has a job and I have no doubt he was probably told something, but his sources are pretty shaky and he's never been known to be insightful about the Cowboys.

But the two sides seemingly presented a collective front in shooting down a report from former NFL quarterback Chris Simms of NBC Sports that Prescott turned down a five-year, $175 million contract and that Prescott wants the final year to be more than $45 million.

Sources close to Prescott and the Cowboys vehemently denied both figures to the Star-Telegram as well as to other NFL outlets, including the NFL Network and ESPN.

The last offer the Cowboys made came in late March and, according to a source, it was a five-year deal for more than $34 million annually. But it did not reach $35 million, which would match the salary of the league’s highest-paid player, Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson.

It does, however, edge out Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s $34 million annual deal for the second-highest paid player in the NFL.

The source also indicated that the guaranteed money in the Cowboys’ latest offer did match Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff’s NFL record of $110 million guaranteed.

As a practical matter, it is a deal that Prescott has turned down.

What remains the biggest stumbling block in a deal between the Cowboys and Prescott is the length of the contract, sources have said. Prescott wants a four-year deal, which is in keeping with all the recent deals and extensions signed by top quarterbacks, including Wilson, Goff, Philadelphia Eagles’ Carson Wentz and Green Bay Packers’ Aaron Rodgers.

The Cowboys want to do a five-year deal to help with the salary cap.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, futureman said:

yeah but the important thing is that dak was trying his absolute best to beat that arena league team and save ginger’s ass and he still couldn’t do it.  last year with zeke elliott and a great pair of receivers he went 8-8 and watched the wild card round from his couch.  because he’s a greedy, overrated pussy. 

I'm just glad to be done with Garrett. I really don't care who the quarterback is, Dak and the ginger are both OK with me. Maybe just franchise Dak and see if the value goes down due to corona/his play, or maybe see if the NFL doesn't start looking at some sort of separate salary cap rules for QBs.

I can't name one QB that has gotten a big contract and gone on to win the Super Bowl. Maybe there has been one, but the big QB contract seems to be a pretty big team killer. Even Aaron Rodgers needs help. The Seahawks have done a good job with drafting around it, i suppose.

I like the idea of there being a separate QB salary cap. Say you have a QB cap of $40m. You can use it to pay one guy $39m and a backup guy $1m. Or you can have 3 QBs at $10m each. You get the idea. Just something to make it to where the QB contracts aren't killing teams.

21 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Well Russell Wilson lost to Dakota's team in the playoffs so obviously he's garbagio.

See, the funny thing is, they don’t draft that well compared to other teams. Russ is just that one of the handful of actual elite QBs. And it’s funny you mention this game and that year for the Seahawks, considering their game plan was “let’s take the ball out of our best players hands (Russ) and play into the cowboys strength (our run d that year).” 

Seattle message boards were rioting. Then, they fired their OC, Russ has an MVP caliber year, and they’re a goal line stand away from being the 2 seed. 

And I’ve often heard people compare Dak and Russ and their first couple of years. But i would argue that even though Russ didn’t have the numbers, you could just see a difference in how he affected games with his legs. Nothing crazy, just little shit like picking up 15 yards on a 3rd and 6 because he willingly decided to take off and run. If Dak doesn’t start using his legs, I personally don’t think he ever turns into the guy that we hope he turns into.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, futureman said:

do you even watch the games?  russell would have won super bowls at least two of the last four years with our roster.  rayne in seattle would not have seen a winning record. 

Hmm. That's interesting that you think anyone could make Gayson a Super Bowl winning coach.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

See, the funny thing is, they don’t draft that well compared to other teams. Russ is just that one of the handful of actual elite QBs. And it’s funny you mention this game and that year for the Seahawks, considering their game plan was “let’s take the ball out of our best players hands (Russ) and play into the cowboys strength (our run d that year).” 

Seattle message boards were rioting. Then, they fired their OC, Russ has an MVP caliber year, and they’re a goal line stand away from being the 2 seed. 

And I’ve often heard people compare Dak and Russ and their first couple of years. But i would argue that even though Russ didn’t have the numbers, you could just see a difference in how he affected games with his legs. Nothing crazy, just little shit like picking up 15 yards on a 3rd and 6 because he willingly decided to take off and run. If Dak doesn’t start using his legs, I personally don’t think he ever turns into the guy that we hope he turns into.

Seahawks draft better than a lot of teams, most of the key contributors from their first super bowl we’re guys they drafted. It’s just they have a grudge against drafting offensive linemen in the first round for some odd reason. 

2 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Seahawks draft better than a lot of teams, most of the key contributors from their first super bowl we’re guys they drafted. It’s just they have a grudge against drafting offensive linemen in the first round for some odd reason. 

They used to draft well,  but they haven't sustained the type of drafting success that yielded them Wilson,  Sherman,  Earl, Bobby Wagner, etc in the past.