Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

8 minutes ago, Drew said:

Cowboys aren't going .500 again.  They NEVER follow up a bad season with another one...not since the 8-8 Garrett years, and before that Campo.

They're winning double digit games, if only because that's what they do after a mediocre year.  

It’s easy to say that now Drew, but think about why you’re actually saying that. Because every other year we seem to bounce back? Let’s just assume that McCarthy is a better coach than Garrett (And that’s a huge assumption because packers fans would laugh that idea). Is our roster actually better than it was last year on paper? If so, why? Because of an unproven CeeDee Lamb? Because of Blake Jarwin? How is are defense not significantly worse on paper? Because of Gerald McCoy and HaHa Clinton-dix? I’m not saying you’re wrong. This is generally what happens to most cowboys teams. But there is no logical reason to expect us to be better than .500 next year considering what this team has lost. And, i think not having an off-season with a brand new coaching staff might make a bigger difference than we’re giving credit for, especially early in the season. I know it hasn’t happened in almost 15 years, but the smart money would be on the eagles winning the division again considering they are bringing a better team to the table this year and they won it last year. So are we winning 10 games and playing in a wild card game? 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

My point still stands though. Regardless of when we stop tagging him, barring injury, there’s no scenario where he would make more money (on a yearly basis and guaranteed money) this year vs any contract that he signs next year or the year after. So why wouldn’t he just take his 31mil guaranteed this year and let us (or someone else) pay him next year?

I think you're conflating issues.  He'll eventually sign the tag if it comes to that,  but there's no use signing before he has too. There's some moderate amount of leverage that comes with not signing the tag at the moment. Also he'd absolutely take home more money this year if he signed a contract than he would if he just took the franchise tag.  His immediate bonus at signing + this year's contract would easily exceed that $31.4MM franchise tag.  

• Like 1

I've been pretty bullish on them winning at least 10 games since the offseason started.  It's what they do.  The offense will be at least as good, if not better in a second year of Moore, I feel Lamb can at least replace Cobb.  I think Jarwin is better weapon than Witten at this point, and I think we'll see more of Pollard.

Plus, even if you consider Packer fans saying he was stale, the simple fact that McCarthy was MUCH more aggressive than Garrett on 4th down and short to medium situations will help not only the offense, but the defense as well.

I don't know if the defense will be better, but I have a hard time believing they'll be worse.  They were like in the late 20's or 30's in almost everything.  They can only go up, or at worse stay stagnant.  I suspect they'll give up more yards and big plays, and finally offset that with some turnovers which will help the offense instead of hurting them as they did consistently last year by not getting off the field.

The Special Teams will be massively improved.  They were the single worst unit in football last year, and they brought in one of the best coaches there.  I think people are vastly underrating just how bad the Special Teams screwed them last year.  And I'm not just talking about missed FG's, which cost them 1 or 2 games at least.  They also had horrendous field position, among the worst in the entire league, in every damned game they played.  That alone put so much pressure on the offense, especially late, that we started to see the cracks.

Hard to drive 80-70 yards on every single drive.  

I do think you're onto to something with the lack of offseason with the new coaches.  That's why I'm not saying they're wining 12-13 games.  I think they're a 10-6 team right now.  I think they new coaches will breath life into the team, which is already talented enough at all the skill positions, to win 9-10 games with decent coaching already.

Just my opinion though.  I have no problem with someone like you saying they'll struggle early and only win 9 games.

But when idiots say something like "Dak can't win games and they'll be under .500" that opinion is basically invalid.

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

A couple of points on that, because i used to agree with you:

1. I’m curious to see how much money he actually gets from these endorsement deals. Because he has at least 7 different endorsement deals that I know of off the top of my head.

2. I think after all of this is said and done, his name will talked about so much that I think the cowboy shine will follow him wherever he goes (especially if it’s a team like the redskins or the who have a pretty big fan base). Plus, when you say the name Dak, every football fan knows exactly who you’re talking about. That isn’t the case with most qbs, especially qbs that are peers to Dak. 

You say that, but look at the other players Romo's career compares to and then ask yourself how many national commercials they have... and he won 2 playoff games? 

the last two decent cowboys quarterbacks are now making roughly $30MM/year between them to work about 18 days.  now, we all know dak is stupid.  if he leaves in FA to take an extra $3MM/season to play for the dolphins he may enter the area of mental defective.

On 6/2/2020 at 10:18 PM, markstanco said:

Drew is so cute. I will happily eat crew if I'm wrong. But the last 25 years says I'm right.

Right about what?  Did I say they're winning the SB, going to the NFC Title game, or hell, even winning the division?

I said they're winning at least 10 games.  And everything I said was based in recent track record and logically sound.

Not sure what you're trying to say...that they're going to win 4 games or some shit?  Or that I think they're going to win the SB? Jesus, he asked me why I believe they'll win double digit games(which is like, 2 more than they did last year with ALL kinds of issues from coaching, to defense, to special teams, to bad luck...they're not going 1-7 in 1 score games again).

Ya'll are suffering from so much battered wife syndrome it's not funny.  On the one hand you're saying the last 25 years is all the proof you need that they'll suck(and they haven't sucked since 2015 BTW).  And then that ass clown Dr Beeper is saying me using recent track record is stupid too.  So which is it?  Can we use what they've done in the past to cement our beliefs or not?

• Fuck You 1

On 6/2/2020 at 10:42 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

Past performance is always indicative of future performance. 

- Drew

So it's okay to say "the last 25 years proves the Cowboys are trash" but then say the last 6-8 years can't prove that the Cowboys ALWAYS rebound?  You're such a fucking contradictory idiot and this post proves you have maybe even less of a clue than futureman.

• Fuck You 1

On 6/2/2020 at 10:18 PM, markstanco said:

Drew is so cute. I will happily eat crew if I'm wrong. But the last 25 years says I'm right.

I like how Drew said he's pretty bullish on them being good this year. 

When is he NOT bullish? 

The Cowboys could have 68 year old Danny White starting at QB this season and he'd tell us "I can see a path to 9 wins and a wild card berth, don't forget Danny White can also punt"

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TornACL said:

I like how Drew said he's pretty bullish on them being good this year. 

When is he NOT bullish? 

The Cowboys could have 68 year old Danny White starting at QB this season and he'd tell us "I can see a path to 9 wins and a wild card berth, don't forget Danny White can also punt"

Don't be absurd.  I thought they'd be bad in 2015 when Romo got hurt in the 2nd game...and the only hope we had was a HORRIBLE division that they somehow stayed knee deep in until thanksgiving.

I'm wondering what's NOT to like about next year?  Lack of time for the Coaching staff to install the offense/defense?  I'm not worried about the offense at all.  Keeping Moore and 9 of 11 starters more than makes up for that.

I've been pretty clear the defense was bad last year.  It's not going to be worse.

The Special Teams will be improved by simply having a new kicker and new coach.

So stop telling me i'm being bullish when they've been .500 or better in 8 of the last 9 years.  And every year since 2016.  Ya'll act like they're a 7-9 or worse team every year. 

The fact they got rid of Garrett should be enough to make everyone ecstatic about next season. Jesus.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Interesting article on PFF about “Captain Checkdown” 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-captain-checkdown-quarterbacks-most-least-rely-checkdown-passes

this covers the 2018 and 2019 seasons. 

Dak made the list for third down checkdowns (#7) as in being one of the ten highest but he was not in the top ten on first downs. 

Other captain checkdowns: Eli Manning, Derek Carr, Blake Bortles etc...

I feel the stats were a bit unfair to Gardner Minshew but they explained them pretty well. Anyway, it was an interesting read.

also, Mahomes is just ridiculously gifted. It’s insane. 

• Like 2

According to NFL Network, several players from both the Cowboys and Texans have tested positive for COVID-19.

The players in question aren’t believed to have been in team facilities, but the only players who have been were those rehabbing from previous injuries with the training staff.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/15/report-cowboys-and-texans-players-have-tested-positive-for-covid-19/

Apparently it’s only two Cowboys and two Texans testing positive with Zeke being one of the two. Zeke is tweeting about HIPAA violation in his positive diagnosis being released. Said his agent had been getting calls all morning and only confirmed Zeke’s testing positive but didn’t release it. So this aspect of the story won’t be going away? His tweets seem like he is pissed. 

8 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I mean, he kinda has a point. Actually, he definitely has a point if true:

So the Cowboys or the NFL released it? If it is the NFL,  we know they haven’t been exactly enamored with Zeke. If it is the Cowboys that released his results, that creates another issue entirely. 

So if this would’ve happened in week 15 when were 8-6 or 9-5, Zeke would just be forced to quarantine for two weeks? What happens when 10-15 players at a time get it? This season is going to be fucked.

But on the bright side, everything you read says your chances of getting it again are slim. So in a lot of ways, maybe best case scenario? Because like everyone has already mentioned, he was always going to get it. If there’s one player in the league that was always going to get it, it was zeke. So hopefully he just...got it out of the way.

I don't know if there is any  actual smoke behind the smoke, probably not much if any. But looking back at McCarthy's history of drafting and FA he certainly values safeties much more than the Cowboys have in the last couple of decades, or at least his GM did. Not sure how much input he has now or then, but having a kickass safety back there would sure be a nice change of pace.

From Gil Brandt’s Twitter (yesterday):

Cowboys WR Amari Cooper, who turns 26 today, is 1 of 7 players in NFL history with 5,000+ receiving yards prior to his 26th birthday: R. Moss 6,743 M. Evans 6,103 L. Fitzgerald 5,975 D. Hopkins 5,865 B. Cooks 5,372 O. Beckham 5,209 A. Cooper 5,097 via @NFLResearch

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

From Gil Brandt’s Twitter (yesterday):

Cowboys WR Amari Cooper, who turns 26 today, is 1 of 7 players in NFL history with 5,000+ receiving yards prior to his 26th birthday: R. Moss 6,743 M. Evans 6,103 L. Fitzgerald 5,975 D. Hopkins 5,865 B. Cooks 5,372 O. Beckham 5,209 A. Cooper 5,097 via @NFLResearch

Just imagine if he could learn how to play on the road. His home road splits for his career are just stupid.

• Like 2