Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

On 8/18/2020 at 10:48 AM, C-Man said:

Drew 1:1

I'm sorry, should I say they're doomed or something? In years past they definitely would have been majorly hurt by ANY injury on the DL.  This year? Especially at DT? Not as much.

So I stand by what I said.  They could use him but he won't be the reason they lose games.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, SurlyBDR said:
Found a better video

watching clips of lamb and a healthy marquise Brown and it makes a a lot of sense that baker and kyler would go back to back heisman/#1 picks. Other than Bama and LSU, i don’t know how many college teams had 2 legit top 20 overall talents at WR. It would be nice if we could..you know..start doing that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, I genuinely don’t understand the hype around this team heading into the season. There are a ton of question marks on defense, and Dak has never proven he can carry this team. Zeke has, but he’s not that guy anymore (still really fucking good, but not the guy that goes 80 down the sideline against Pittsburgh).

I just listened to Mina Kimes give her team rankings, and she had us 5th behind KC, Baltimore, NO, and SF. And she’s far from the only one. That sounds ridiculous to me. Especially with a brand new coach with hardly any offseason because of covid. It would be pretty fucking cool if she was right, but there are way too many teams in the NFC alone to make me feel like we’re anything more than a 10 win team. 

plus, I feel like she’s looking on paper to much. She’s forgetting which organization she’s actually talking about lol.

35 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I just listened to Mina Kimes give her team rankings, and she had us 5th behind KC, Baltimore, NO, and SF. And she’s far from the only one. That sounds ridiculous to me. Especially with a brand new coach with hardly any offseason because of covid. It would be pretty fucking cool if she was right, but there are way too many teams in the NFC alone to make me feel like we’re anything more than a 10 win team. 

Just lmk how you listened to Mina Kimes and managed to not off yourself. 

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Just lmk how you listened to Mina Kimes and managed to not off yourself. 

Haha I mean she was on NFL live. She’s one of the main hosts now. I actually trust her opinion more than I do a lot of people in regards to the NFL because she’s usually spot on. Her voice and her laugh make my ears bleed, but she is actually pretty good at her job. She wasn’t handed that job for no reason.

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Haha I mean she was on NFL live. She’s one of the main hosts now. I actually trust her opinion more than I do a lot of people in regards to the NFL because she’s usually spot on. Her voice and her laugh make my ears bleed, but she is actually pretty good at her job. She wasn’t handed that job for no reason.

I'll agree with all that.  She never struck me as clueless but holy hell that voice/laugh.  I can't deal with it.  

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Also, I genuinely don’t understand the hype around this team heading into the season. There are a ton of question marks on defense, and Dak has never proven he can carry this team. Zeke has, but he’s not that guy anymore (still really fucking good, but not the guy that goes 80 down the sideline against Pittsburgh).

plus, I feel like she’s looking on paper to much. She’s forgetting which organization she’s actually talking about lol.

It's not about Zeke or Dak, the hype comes from the WRs and defense line. 11 personal should be really good. I don't know of another team that has a better group of 3 receivers. That OU fag will probably be the best slot receiver the cowboys have had in forever.   

But as always, it's just hype until the games are played. 

17 minutes ago, futureman said:

with all due respect, I think it may be a season or two before he’s as good as cole beasley or randall cobb. 

I hate that cocksucker as much as the next UT grad, but he is fucking legit. He doesn't have any glaring weakness in his game like most rookies. He has skills you just can't teach, things like elite elusively in the open field. 

Fucking Cole Beasley won't be able to hold his jock strap by the end of the season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

It's not about Zeke or Dak, the hype comes from the WRs and defense line. 11 personal should be really good. I don't know of another team that has a better group of 3 receivers. That OU fag will probably be the best slot receiver the cowboys have had in forever.   

But as always, it's just hype until the games are played. 

I mean, I get that, but even the dline is a huge question mark. A lot of older guys and young talent that hasn’t proven anything yet. I don’t think it’s guaranteed that we have the pass rush that we think, and our secondary is...let’s just say nobody has broken out and proven they are anything more than mediocre. I dunno, i just have a weird feeling our defense is going to be god awful. Mike Nolan hasn’t been a DC in a hot minute. I could easily see us having a bottom 3rd in the league defense 

4 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I mean, I get that, but even the dline is a huge question mark. A lot of older guys and young talent that hasn’t proven anything yet. I don’t think it’s guaranteed that we have the pass rush that we think, and our secondary is...let’s just say nobody has broken out and proven they are anything more than mediocre. I dunno, i just have a weird feeling our defense is going to be god awful. Mike Nolan hasn’t been a DC in a hot minute. I could easily see us having a bottom 3rd in the league defense 

I'll take Nolan over whatever the fuck we've been doing for the last 6 years. Linebackers are the real scary part. 

I can definatley understand the hype.

Jason Garrett Gone. That ALONE is worth the hype.

Special Teams/Kicking, which cost them at least 2 games, if not more...will not be anywhere near as bad as last year.  I mean just look at how many drives started on or behind the 20 yard line?

Yes there are questions on defense, mainly in the secondary, but they got a lot of young hungry guys it seems and even without Byron they shouldn't be much worse if at all.  DL will be better than last year I would expect with all the bodies now(that's why the McCoy injury hurts, but isn't critical as it would have been in the past). Between Smith, Griffin, Crawford, Gregory if he ever comes back, and the Anae they'll replace Quinn easily and the DT rotation isn't worse than last year.

Their defense wasn't good in 2018 or 2017 or really in 2016 or 2014 either.  They've never had a good defense and the past few seasons it's been awful.  So even if it's still bad, I can't possibly believe it'll be as bad, or worse, than last season.

The Dak slander is still unreal...he doesn't HAVE to prove he can carry the team because he shouldn't NEED to carry this team. It's talking out the both sides of your mouth...on one hand you guys say they have so much talent so that "of course Dak has been good, who wouldn't with this talent" and then on the next page you'll say "Dak can't carry the team so they'll suck"  

Which is it? 

The Offense was historically great for the Cowboys last year.  Yes they struggled against good teams, but a lot of offenses will do that too.  The games late in the year(NE/Philly) you could tell the offense wasn't clicking right and obviously Dak was dealing with shoulder issues(they've confirmed that, and we pretty much know if they had any capable backup last season Dak probably is sitting a few of those games).

This team WILL win Double Digit games next year as I've been saying for months PROVIDED they actually play 16 games.  Regardless I think they're the favorites in the division.

Edited by Drew

First of all, are you saying our defense wasn’t the strength of our team in 2018? Because it absolutely was. That’s what made the playoff loss to the Rams kinda shocking. We were one of the 2 or 3 best teams in the league at stopping the run and they were just murdering us on the ground. And 2014 the defense was average, but it also had the best offensive line of the decade (talking specifically about the 2014 oline), the offensive MVP, a top 5 wr at the time, and a Tony Romo that was playing easily the best football of his life..funny how a running game can do that for you. I would put that offense WAY ahead of last years offense and I don’t give a fuck about the numbers. I trusted that offense to make all the necessary plays at any given time, and they did. Just because romo’s numbers weren’t as good as Dak’s that year doesn’t mean he didn’t have a better more reliable season

Lol and i don’t want to do this with you anymore Drew. We’re both going to choose to believe our narratives. You think Dak and this offense were great last year because that’s what the on paper numbers indicate. I know that the team didn’t make him the 2nd highest paid qb because they know those stats were hollow as shit. The stats never came against a competent defense or when we actually needed it to come through. So there’s no point in arguing it anymore and derailing the thread. You’re dug in on your stance and I have my opinion. I’d much rather you be right, but i just don’t think you are. 

And I don’t know what you mean by Dak slander. I said he hasn’t proven he can carry a team. While last year wasn’t his fault (although i think he gets a little more blame than you’re gonna give credit for) we finished 8-8. So what part of my statement has been proven to be false. All i said was, and I quote, “Dak hasn’t proven he can carry a team”. What part of that is inaccurate? I can probably name all the qbs that can carry a team on one hand. Dak isn’t not one of them, and anybody that takes off their cowboys glasses can see that. Doesn’t mean he isn’t good. Because he is. But so is Jared Goff when the stars align and he has a running game. So is jimmy G when the stars align and they have bad running game. So is cousins. So is tannehill. They’re all good if put in the right situation. And me saying that isn’t a knock on Dak. If anything it’s me propping up those other guys and trying to highlight just how drastically they improved or regressed when they added or lost a running game. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

3 hours ago, Drew said:

I can definatley understand the hype.

Jason Garrett Gone. That ALONE is worth the hype.

Special Teams/Kicking, which cost them at least 2 games, if not more...will not be anywhere near as bad as last year.  I mean just look at how many drives started on or behind the 20 yard line?

Yes there are questions on defense, mainly in the secondary, but they got a lot of young hungry guys it seems and even without Byron they shouldn't be much worse if at all.  DL will be better than last year I would expect with all the bodies now(that's why the McCoy injury hurts, but isn't critical as it would have been in the past). Between Smith, Griffin, Crawford, Gregory if he ever comes back, and the Anae they'll replace Quinn easily and the DT rotation isn't worse than last year.

Their defense wasn't good in 2018 or 2017 or really in 2016 or 2014 either.  They've never had a good defense and the past few seasons it's been awful.  So even if it's still bad, I can't possibly believe it'll be as bad, or worse, than last season.

The Dak slander is still unreal...he doesn't HAVE to prove he can carry the team because he shouldn't NEED to carry this team. It's talking out the both sides of your mouth...on one hand you guys say they have so much talent so that "of course Dak has been good, who wouldn't with this talent" and then on the next page you'll say "Dak can't carry the team so they'll suck"  

Which is it? 

The Offense was historically great for the Cowboys last year.  Yes they struggled against good teams, but a lot of offenses will do that too.  The games late in the year(NE/Philly) you could tell the offense wasn't clicking right and obviously Dak was dealing with shoulder issues(they've confirmed that, and we pretty much know if they had any capable backup last season Dak probably is sitting a few of those games).

This team WILL win Double Digit games next year as I've been saying for months PROVIDED they actually play 16 games.  Regardless I think they're the favorites in the division.

*definately 

Edited by futureman

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

So it sounds like the ravens are 100% about to release ET. And rumors are saying if he’s released the eagles are going to go pretty hard after him. I feel like he can’t be nearly as expensive anymore after all this BS, so jerruh. You better at least call his agent and see what’s up 

Wow. Not gonna lie, i got fooled by this tweet. The joke is on me. Well played, sir

I know there is Earl love on this board and I have pulled for him to do well throughout his pro career; but if mofo can't get along in a Ravens  organization that consistently wins and reached out to him when Seattle said fuck you...

How in the fuck is that going to end up going in Valley Ranch?  Don't count me in as being optimistic, not that means anything, but what are the odds of a positive contribution at this point?

Edited by slorch

23 minutes ago, slorch said:

I know there is Earl love on this board and I have pulled for him to do well throughout his pro career; but if mofo can't get along in a Ravens  organization that consistently wins and reached out to him when Seattle said fuck you...

How in the fuck is that going to end up going in Valley Ranch?  Don't count me in as being optimistic, not that means anything, but what are the odds of a positive contribution at this point?

You have to admit, it would be pretty on brand for us if we did finally get him after all these years of wanting him, just to have him come in and destroy the locker room. Now I expect this to happen. Damnit slorch. Stop making sense. 

Love Earl but we don’t need him in Dallas.

Xavier Woods was rated just slightly below him last season per PFF, for considerably less money, drama, and more years of production left in the tank. Let’s not stunt his development curve. And McCarthy brought in Clinton-Dix as his guy, so he’s playing. 

This is the best we’ve looked at safety in a while.

51 minutes ago, slorch said:

Why no like Star, slorch?

53 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I could see a scenario where something like this could humble someone a little bit. Knowing how quickly a team is willing to move on. He has to know he’s gaining a reputation now so you would think that would be a cause for self reflection. But who knows. 

Getting signed immediately by another contender after being cut is the opposite of humbling 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Nope said:

Love Earl but we don’t need him in Dallas.

Xavier Woods was rated just slightly below him last season per PFF, for considerably less money, drama, and more years of production left in the tank. Let’s not stunt his development curve. And McCarthy brought in Clinton-Dix as his guy, so he’s playing. 

This is the best we’ve looked at safety in a while.

This is a contract year for woods, is it not? I’m not saying we won’t resign him, but there’s certainly no guarantee that he’s part of our future. 

8 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

This is a contract year for woods, is it not? I’m not saying we won’t resign him, but there’s certainly no guarantee that he’s part of our future. 

Which means he’s probably trade bait if we sign Earl?

20 minutes ago, Nope said:

Getting signed immediately by another contender after being cut is the opposite of humbling 

Well we haven’t been contenders for the last 25 years so I guess there’s a chance he’ll be humbled.

Nah, you’re probably right. But he has to know his career is on thin ice 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Just now, youdunnf'dup said:

Well we haven’t been contenders for the last 20 years so I guess there’s a chance he’ll be humbled.

Nah, you’re probably right. But he has to know his career is on thin ice 

My prediction: he ends up in the NFC east but not with Dallas. Happens with every free agent the media assumes is going to Dallas.

9 minutes ago, futureman said:

he wants to play for america, and I doubt that he would disrupt the locker room too much.  I think we have a good locker room, our guys seem to appreciate being cowboys.  and his price should be pretty affordable if he’s released.  I hope we sign him. 

I actually genuinely believe this. He would be closer to his family, playing for the team he’s wanted to play for. And although at times i think it’s a locker room full of mentally weak guys, I do think they like each other. I feel like we rarely hear about practice fights and things of that nature. But I kinda wish we did. I want guys on defense that are ready to throw hands when they aren’t on the field lol.