Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Dak is gonna get his 35 million a year. I dont hate Dak or anything but think that locks us into mediocrity due to running out of money.

What's 5-6 more years of 8-8 football.

Funny how every team's fans complains about this, yet every year someone wins the super bowl, and they usually have very highly paid players on the field. If we continue sucking, it won't be for that reason, but due to the disease that has infected this franchise for 25 years. At least we treated one major symptom by curing a bad case of ginger-vitis. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

Dak is gonna get his 35 million a year. I dont hate Dak or anything but think that locks us into mediocrity due to running out of money.

What's 5-6 more years of 8-8 football.

Dak deserves more than Wentz if we are going to compare their careers.

Many think Mahomes will get 40 a year. Dak definitely not getting that.

And we had Dak and Zeke on rookie deals and still never did jack shit. You act like us having cap space really matters at this point. They would mis manage it anyways.

The thing about Mahomes breaking 40 million (and the same was true for Goff, Wentz,  and will be for Watson) is that they'll get their new deals with 2 years remaining on their rookie deals, which will massage the yearly cap hits on their new money.  Unfortunately for us, we don't have 2 extra years to thin out Dak's yearly cap hit on a new contract.  

4 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Only thing that sucks is that the Cowboys are winning the Super Bowl next year and not this year. Would have been nice to have the Boys, Stars, Mavs, FCD, and Rangers all holding the trophy at the end of 2020. Damn. 

star trek laughing GIF

Stars are the only one of those with any shot of getting a title in next 3 years. Excluding FC Dallas because I have zero idea who they play or where they stand. 

On 2/2/2020 at 11:47 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Good. He doesn’t deserve what he’s asking for. 32ish million and he should be happy.  Escalators for nfc champ game and sb appearances and wins. 
He could always get an opt out or just a 3 year deal if he thinks he will be more valuable in a couple years.  

i think this has all come about because of Dallas pretty much caving to Elliott, and Jerry’s scotch soaked history of overpaying for his guys. 

You realize franchising him will actually end up paying him more than you want him to actually get paid.

The Dak slander is still stupid, and unreal.  I just can't with you guys.  You trashed Romo without knowing what you had, and now you're trashing Dak.

We don't deserve a good QB here.  We need another 2000-2006 run of horrible QB's just to give us a taste of what every franchise except NE, PIT and really Indy has had to deal with.  Maybe we'd actually respect guys that can play the position well.

35 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

star trek laughing GIF

Stars are the only one of those with any shot of getting a title in next 3 years. Excluding FC Dallas because I have zero idea who they play or where they stand. 

Mavs absolutely could get a title in 3 years...what you think Lebron is going to be playing into his 40's and be the best player on a Title team? LOL. 

Baseball is weird.  I could definitely see a team come out of nowhere and win a title in a year or 2.  Smart moves can get the Rangers back to the WS...hell they went to 2 back to back out of nowhere...heck they were probably worse off in 2009 than they are this year.

And fuck you if you don't think the Cowboys have a chance at all.  I  have no doubt they're winning double digit games and the East this year...they always bounce back after a down season the last 5+ years.  Plus the new coaching...yeah I could see them making a run if things fell right.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If you mean his franchise season, then yes I understand that. But still less than he’s supposedly asking, and only a 1 year commitment. 

Franchising a QB is NEVER a good thing.  Never works out for the team.  Be careful what you wish for.  

4 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Also- how long until we see a sports talk show with the crawl, “Are the Chiefs the new America’s Team”? Im sure it’s imminent.

Here's a free tip. If you never watch sports talk shows, you never have to see bullshit like that. Those FS1 and ESPN blowhards get cited on here WAAAAAAY too often.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Drew said:

You realize franchising him will actually end up paying him more than you want him to actually get paid.

The Dak slander is still stupid, and unreal.  I just can't with you guys.  You trashed Romo without knowing what you had, and now you're trashing Dak.

We don't deserve a good QB here.  We need another 2000-2006 run of horrible QB's just to give us a taste of what every franchise except NE, PIT and really Indy has had to deal with.  Maybe we'd actually respect guys that can play the position well.

Mavs absolutely could get a title in 3 years...what you think Lebron is going to be playing into his 40's and be the best player on a Title team? LOL. 

Baseball is weird.  I could definitely see a team come out of nowhere and win a title in a year or 2.  Smart moves can get the Rangers back to the WS...hell they went to 2 back to back out of nowhere...heck they were probably worse off in 2009 than they are this year.

And fuck you if you don't think the Cowboys have a chance at all.  I  have no doubt they're winning double digit games and the East this year...they always bounce back after a down season the last 5+ years.  Plus the new coaching...yeah I could see them making a run if things fell right.

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

star trek laughing GIF

And I was obviously joking. 

I’d kill for any title. Gimme fucking Renegades. Shit anything. 

As for the Cowboys and Dak. The franchise tag is ideal. Nobody (except for Futureman) knows who the real Dak Prescott is. Is he the accurate, playmaking, exciting leader that he was when he forced Romo’s retirement? Or is he the stat-monger, mistake prone, awkward guy that he’s been the last few seasons? Or was that mostly the wretched stench of Jason Garrett? Did Jason & Co ruin Dak in the same way they ruined Tony? 

I dunno. The franchise tag is perfect for this scenario. A year with a new scheme to determine if he can function at a level above 
Except that Dak said today he won’t hang around the Star on the tag and his involvement is probably necessary for winning anything.  

Of course the real problem isn’t Rayne Dakota, it’s that our GM has spent the last 20 years without a construction philosophy. Just year to year changing strategy to mirror the super bowl winner.  

Fuck this. 

5 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

And I was obviously joking. 

I’d kill for any title. Gimme fucking Renegades. Shit anything. 

As for the Cowboys and Dak. The franchise tag is ideal. Nobody (except for Futureman) knows who the real Dak Prescott is. Is he the accurate, playmaking, exciting leader that he was when he forced Romo’s retirement? Or is he the stat-monger, mistake prone, awkward guy that he’s been the last few seasons? Or was that mostly the wretched stench of Jason Garrett? Did Jason & Co ruin Dak in the same way they ruined Tony? 

I dunno. The franchise tag is perfect for this scenario. A year with a new scheme to determine if he can function at a level above 
Except that Dak said today he won’t hang around the Star on the tag and his involvement is probably necessary for winning anything.  

Of course the real problem isn’t Rayne Dakota, it’s that our GM has spent the last 20 years without a construction philosophy. Just year to year changing strategy to mirror the super bowl winner.  

Fuck this. 

See that’s the thing. I think we know exactly who he is. He’s a guy, similar to jimmy G, who can have moments but ultimately isn’t a difference maker. You pay big money to difference makers at that position. You don’t set the market for a jimmy G, Dak Prescott level player. You just don’t. If Dak and his agent want to play this game he can fuck right off. A lot of people can do what he’s doing with the top 5 oline and top 5 rb that dak has been working with for his entire career. Tannehill could do it. Derek Carr could do it. Half the fucking league could do it. Our opinion of Dak is clouded by the fact that he’s literally had the best oline and running game for his entire career up until last year. The moment that is gone (and it sure as fuck will be gone when we pay him $35+ mil/yr) he’s fucked. We’re fucked. And deep down, I think Dak and his agent know that this is the only opportunity he’ll have to cash in big, because they know he’ll get exposed for being an average to slightly below average starting qb the moment all of that is gone. I don’t blame them at all, actually. But we have to be smarter than that. Use your fucking eyes. $30mil a year you fucking cunt. Take it, and if not, I dare you to leave this franchise and get exposed with a team that has an average running game and/or average oline (like the bears, for example).

And god damn I want to be wrong about him so bad, but I’m about ready to put money on it at this point. He’s never going to be THE guy that is worth this stupid fucking contract that we’re about to give him. He’ll always hover around being a mid level qb who needs everything around him to be perfect, like half the qbs in the league before him. That shit isn’t going to change. It’ll always be that way. Provide a running game and a good oline and (insert average qb here) will have success.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

See that’s the thing. I think we know exactly who he is. He’s a guy, similar to jimmy G, who can have moments but ultimately isn’t a difference maker. You pay big money to difference makers at that position. You don’t set the market for a jimmy G, Dak Prescott level player. You just don’t. If Dak and his agent want to play this game he can fuck right off. A lot of people can do what he’s doing with the top 5 oline and top 5 rb that dak has been working with for his entire career. Tannehill could do it. Derek Carr could do it. Half the fucking league could do it. Our opinion of Dak is clouded by the fact that he’s literally had the best oline and running game for his entire career up until last year. The moment that is gone (and it sure as fuck will be gone when we pay him $35+ mil/yr) he’s fucked. We’re fucked. And deep down, I think Dak and his agent know that this is the only opportunity he’ll have to cash in big, because they know he’ll get exposed for being an average to slightly below average starting qb the moment all of that is gone. I don’t blame them at all, actually. But we have to be smarter than that. Use your fucking eyes. $30mil a year you fucking cunt. Take it, and if not, I dare you to leave this franchise and get exposed with a team that has an average running game and/or average oline (like the bears, for example).

And god damn I want to be wrong about him so bad, but I’m about ready to put money on it at this point. He’s never going to be THE guy that is worth this stupid fucking contract that we’re about to give him. He’ll always hover around being a mid level qb who needs everything around him to be perfect, like half the qbs in the league before him. That shit isn’t going to change. It’ll always be that way. Provide a running game and a good oline and (insert average qb here) will have success.

3db4a24bbf240c4493e691b28b782e71.gif

10 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

So pay a ton to sign a FA "difference making" QB (which is nearly impossible these days) or just keep tanking until you luck into that next guy in the draft. Makes sense. I think you are failing to consider how exceedingly rare a "difference making" QB is, especially one who can do it consistently year after year. Brady is the only one currently who has proven that it's possible. Someone mentioned Wilson, Big Ben, and others who showed brilliance, but now many SB's have they won or even played in recently? Mahomes appears to be the real deal, but lets see how many more SBs he makes and wins.

The QB market is universally fucked. That's just how it is. LA Rams with Goff and SF with Jimmy G put together SB caliber rosters with overpaid QBs who have not proven to be "difference makers" but proved to be pretty good, or at least "good enough." It's possible to do that without Brady or Mahomes. You just need someone whose not a self-important dope managing the roster. That's our problem. Not Dak or Zeke or their contracts.

Edited by 'stache

Might be interesting if the players association ever pursued a "QB exempt " salary cap.  There's no way Mahomes ever gets what he's worth and the Chiefs continue to field a team worth a fuck around him long term in the current set-up.  It's counter-intuitive to expect a player to make concessions to the team so that it will be competitive on the field.   it's a business right, so why should a player take less than they are valued?  Yes Brady, but that's  a very unique case.

• Like 1

It depends on what the player truly wants and how good the organization is at roster construction.  If Mahomes wants to get paid 40 million a year, he has to realize that Watkins is gone, a defender or two (not sure about their FA's overall), and probably some OL depth along the way.  If he wants to take enough money (isn't 25-20 million a year enough really) to never be poor again but also be able to keep some capable teammates, then he might be able to continue to win at this level.  As mentioned above, how mnay Super Bowl's have the Seahawks been  to since Wilson got paid?  What about the Packers after Rodgers truly got paid?  The Steelers with Ben? 

• Like 2

The qb market is full of guys not getting paid market value, either under or over. So using those contracts as a basis for new deals is silly, and is the reason things are so fucked. 

guys like Goff and wentz get their deals, then aren’t that great. So the next group of not that great qbs expect Goff/ wentz money and so on. 
meanwhile guys like Brady and mahomes and Watson are underpaid because of rookie contract. 

so, what are teams willing to pay for dak Prescott?  Can’t find out unless you let him become a free agent- or you have trustworthy friends in high places with other teams. 

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

It's a hard cap league.  If the owners want the ability to build and sustain championship caliber teams, then increase the cap.  If they want the ability to rake in the dough even when they make stupid decisions then keep the cap as low as possible.

Option 2! The answer is option 2. 

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The qb market is full of guys not getting paid market value, either under or over. So using those contracts as a basis for new deals is silly, and is the reason things are so fucked. 

guys like Goff and wentz get their deals, then aren’t that great. So the next group of not that great qbs expect Goff/ wentz money and so on. 
meanwhile guys like Brady and mahomes and Watson are underpaid because of rookie contract. 

so, what are teams willing to pay for dak Prescott?  Can’t find out unless you let him become a free agent- or you have trustworthy friends in high places with other teams. 

Agreed except Brady is hardly on his rookie contract or first renegotiation.  He is a notable exception for openly taking less during his prime to help field a better team around him.  had he gone 'true market value' Brady would have been paid whatever the fuck Brady wanted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

So pay a ton to sign a FA "difference making" QB (which is nearly impossible these days) or just keep tanking until you luck into that next guy in the draft. Makes sense. I think you are failing to consider how exceedingly rare a "difference making" QB is, especially one who can do it consistently year after year. Brady is the only one currently who has proven that it's possible. Someone mentioned Wilson, Big Ben, and others who showed brilliance, but now many SB's have they won or even played in recently? Mahomes appears to be the real deal, but lets see how many more SBs he makes and wins.

The QB market is universally fucked. That's just how it is. LA Rams with Goff and SF with Jimmy G put together SB caliber rosters with overpaid QBs who have not proven to be "difference makers" but proved to be pretty good, or at least "good enough." It's possible to do that without Brady or Mahomes. You just need someone whose not a self-important dope managing the roster. That's our problem. Not Dak or Zeke or their contracts.

Or just sign another average qb at a cheaper price, let Dak’s bitch ass hold out, and you already have a capable/competent backup in the event that he holds out. There’s a Ryan Tannehill type of qb every year that goes from a bad situation to being a “career backup” because they didn’t have the top 5 oline and running game that Dak has. None of us thought tannehill was capable until this year. But plenty of people can do what Dak has done in our system, with our offense. 

Dak's "Bitch ass"?  Because he wants to get paid like an actual starting QB that has actually proven some things?  Because he's been criminally underpaid for the last 4 years?

Jesus I know I probably like Dak more than anyone else, but the amount of strait trash being posted by some of you about a, at the very least, quality/good QB is obscene.  Said before and I'll say again.  We don't deserve a guy like Dak with the way this fan base absolutely can not figure out what a good QB is.

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Este

50 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

If Garappolo's spare ass can get to a super bowl then Dak could too. He won't because the rest of the roster around him is picked by terrible talent evaluators and the team has the worst GM in sports. 

Imagine jerruh building a roster like the 49ers just had. 

yeah, I can’t either. 

Now imagine them building a roster lien that after we pay Dak. LOL

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Said before and I'll say again.  We don't deserve a guy like Dak with the way this fan base absolutely can not figure out what a good QB is.

It was nonsensical when you posted it before. Repeating it doesn't lend it any gravitas.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Drew said:

Dak's "Bitch ass"?  Because he wants to get paid like an actual starting QB that has actually proven some things?  Because he's been criminally underpaid for the last 4 years?

Jesus I know I probably like Dak more than anyone else, but the amount of strait trash being posted by some of you about a, at the very least, quality/good QB is obscene.  Said before and I'll say again.  We don't deserve a guy like Dak with the way this fan base absolutely can not figure out what a good QB is.

So when you say an actual starting qb that has proven things, I’m curious to know what exactly he has proven that would make you want to pay him $35-40mil a year. Let me rephrase what I said in my earlier post, because bitch ass isn’t accurate. Either he’s REALLY fucking stupid and doesn’t understand what his skill set is (and what he has around him), or he’s really smart and understands he’s extremely limited and knows that this is his only real chance to break the bank. To me, there’s no way he can fall in-between those two extremes.

I don’t give a fuck what Jared Goff got. The rams have made some dumb decisions with the idea that they were on the cusp of being a super bowl champion team. We aren’t nearly as close as the rams were (Or thought they were) when they offered that dumbass contract. And think about what Kirk cousins had to go through before he got his contract. Could you imagine how incompetent Dak would look playing for THAT dysfunctional franchise, with no running game and no real number 1 wr?

I don’t mind Dak being our qb. I don’t like it, but i can live with it if he’s taking less money so we can build the roster around him like it needs to be when you have an average qb. But I’m offering him $30mil a year ($32mil if he’s gonna play hardball, and then I’ll go throw up in the bathroom for the next 24 hrs), but not a fucking penny more. If he doesn’t accept that, it’s time for the franchise tag, and time to explore alternatives for if/when he holds out. There’s a reason we haven’t paid him yet. I don’t give a fuck what the jones family keeps saying. Their actions say that they don’t really believe in the idea that he’s going to develop into a difference maker at qb, because if they did, this is the easiest deal to make. We know exactly where that contract should slot in based on contracts from the past, and so do Dak and his agent. But they don’t really believe he’s gonna be that guy. And if you don’t believe it, you don’t just pay him because you’re afraid of what might happen next. ESPECIALLY when you’ve already paid Zeke.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Drew said:

Because he wants to get paid like an actual starting QB that has actually proven some things? 

nope, he’s proven nothing, you human paraquat.  this little sucking-dak’s-dick bit of yours is tired and stale.  he’s an average qb at best.  at best.  and that’s not so bad; it makes him like the 15th or 20th best quarterback on the planet, probably.  which is worth around $20MM/season.  

go fuck yourself, drew, you stupid piece of shit. 

On 2/4/2020 at 10:12 AM, Iceman said:

Might be interesting if the players association ever pursued a "QB exempt " salary cap.  There's no way Mahomes ever gets what he's worth and the Chiefs continue to field a team worth a fuck around him long term in the current set-up.  It's counter-intuitive to expect a player to make concessions to the team so that it will be competitive on the field.   it's a business right, so why should a player take less than they are valued?  Yes Brady, but that's  a very unique case.

Exactly,  Pat Mahomes is the exact type of player who can affect the type of TV contract the NFL will get during the next round of negotiations.  Why have a cap system where paying your best and most popular players will decrease their chances of being successful and making the playoffs? Having players like Pat Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs every year with enough talent around them to make exciting plays is GOOD for the NFL.

40 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

If Dak wants more than 32 a year I would just let him hold out. Cool with sucking one year to get a Bosa or Chase Young or a QB.

what's funny about this post is that if we actually told dak to kick rocks and signed tannehill or bridgewater or any of a number of other competent quarterbacks we would surely finish better than 8-8 and have an even worse draft pick than what captain fraud would give us.

58 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

If Dak wants more than 32 a year I would just let him hold out. Cool with sucking one year to get a Bosa or Chase Young or a QB.

Based on Zeke etc we will probably panic though and give Daks agents whatever they want.

If you let Dak walk the only option is starting the worst QB you can find every game, IR Zeke/Tank/Tyron/Martin and do everything possible to go 0-16. Then hello Trevor Lawrence.