Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

As I said you're underrating him.  There are times he plays like a Top 5 QB in the league.  Sometimes 12-15th.  he's still a guy you pay. And that's why I say you're underrating him.

And the whole "pay your QB money and cripple your team" is such regurgitated BS.  It's a myth.  The cap rises so much every year, and is only going to get higher. His contract will NOT be detrimental unless he goes out like Romo did and can't play the last 2 years of his contract.  That would hurt EVERY team if that happened to their QB, Mahomes, Rodgers, whoever.

People are just listening to talking heads and stupid people on twitter using outdated logic when it comes to the Cap and cap allotment.  The Cap, as Hard as they say it is, is not.  No team has been in Salary Cap hell since Dallas was in the early 2000's, and that's only because EVERYONE of their high priced players all got old and left around the same time...plus the cap was pretty stagnant then.  The cap is fungible.  There is ALWAYS ways to make cap space that does not hurt the team and will continue to be until the league stops growing.

You should check out Bob Sturms latest on this subject.  Pretty much dispels all that BS about "can't pay one player that much".  When KC give Mahome 45 mil they'll still be fine, and not just because of Mahomes, but because the cap isn't nearly as detrimental as you think.  And they'll have a bunch of high priced guys all over their team too.

• Like 1

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

It is laughable that Emmitt Smith is saying Dak should take a hometown discount given his history. 

not really the same situation at all.  emmitt was elite at his position and he knows that dak sucks.  thus, he knows dak isn’t worth what he’s asking. 

On 2/21/2020 at 10:50 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

Nobody is underrating Dak. On any given day he’s one of the 10-20 best QBs on the planet. But paying a guy to the point where it will legitimately cripple your team is just dumb. He knows Zeke’s contract just like everyone else. He knows cooper still has to get paid (both of which are better at their job than Dak is, BTW). But money a few million is more important to him than fielding a championship level football team. 
I don’t care what other teams have done. Everyone knows the qb market doesn’t make any sense, but we just accept it because that’s what other teams have done. You don’t have to do that. Especially not for a guy like Dak. 

Dak is fine. He’s a solid NFL qb that has a chance to be really good, especially if he can find a way to be more consistent with his accuracy (or just start running). But he hasn’t shown consistent evidence that would lead you to believe any of that will happen in his 5th year and beyond. He’s shown evidence of being an average to slightly above average NFL qb. There’s nothing wrong with that. You can win with that if your coaches are innovative and you have a smart front office. But outside of Will McClay and maybe Kellen Moore, there isn’t a lot of evidence for that either.

So what the fuck are we really trying to accomplish here? The most likely scenario is we pay Dak like a franchise elevating qb, and he doesn’t actually improve. Then what? As Zeke and the oline continue to age, it isn’t far fetched to think we’ve seen Dak at his best. I’m not saying I believe that, but it is definitely a possibility. I don’t know what I believe. I don’t want to get rid of Dak, but be smart. If he wants to be here, he’ll be here at a reasonable price. Period. If not, fuck off. You don’t have the resume to hold a team hostage like this. And I get it’s easy for me to say that, but have some fucking self awareness. What is your biggest goal as an nfl player. Making as much money as possible, or winning a championship and becoming a part of NFL history. There isn’t anything wrong with either one of those goals. But if his goal really is the former (and right now that appears to be a fact), let that be someone else’s investment.

But the thing is, I don’t think anyone would pay him that kind of money. Let him test the market. Nobody is going to pay this dude what him and his agent think he’s worth. And when he realizes that, he’ll be more reasonable. 

You dudes living in fairytale land thinking guys are going to sacrifice money for some ring. Good fucking lord. But sure, Dak and his team are going to let Zeke and Amari get paid and then take leftover scraps. Riiiiight.

You think any player on earth in any sport is sacrificing money for some ring? Lmao. Keep on living in some fantasy world.

How is he holding the team hostage? Dallas is free to not pay him a dime and let him walk. He's a free agent. Who the hell is holding anyone hostage here? Each side is free to do what they want. It's the basis of free agency. Neither has to budge. They have free agency and the draft to find his replacement shall they want to. Dak as a whole offseason to test the market. This isn't Zeke holding out after free agency and the draft.

You guys are in for a rude awakening if you think any QB with a pulse who is even average is going to be cheap in today's market. Get a clue and realize exactly what the market is now for QBs. It is only going to go up. But continue to gnash your teeth over this day after day.

13 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

It is laughable that Emmitt Smith is saying Dak should take a hometown discount given his history. 

It's laughable that a guy is telling a grown man what to do with his profession and finances. Who the fuck cares what Emmitt thinks a player today should or shouldn't do. Pretty sure Dak and his camp give zero fucks what Emmitt or anyone has to say about their moves and decisions. 

On 2/19/2020 at 12:32 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

Dak has all the leverage because Dallas has absolutely zero plan for anything other than Dak. They aren't high enough in the draft to pick any QB worth a damn. Free agency QBs? Either they will suck or even average QBs are going to cost a lot. Trade him? No one is going to do that. They definitely are not going to tank like Miami or Cincy did. Dak is better than any free agent or guy they could realistically draft. His backups are beyond terrible. And McCarthy likes him.

Dallas is going to pay him like they did Zeke. And then all the bitching and whining will begin and it will be glorious.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

You dudes living in fairytale land thinking guys are going to sacrifice money for some ring. Good fucking lord. But sure, Dak and his team are going to let Zeke and Amari get paid and then take leftover scraps. Riiiiight.

You think any player on earth in any sport is sacrificing money for some ring? Lmao. Keep on living in some fantasy world.

How is he holding the team hostage? Dallas is free to not pay him a dime and let him walk. He's a free agent. Who the hell is holding anyone hostage here? Each side is free to do what they want. It's the basis of free agency. Neither has to budge. They have free agency and the draft to find his replacement shall they want to. Dak as a whole offseason to test the market. This isn't Zeke holding out after free agency and the draft.

You guys are in for a rude awakening if you think any QB with a pulse who is even average is going to be cheap in today's market. Get a clue and realize exactly what the market is now for QBs. It is only going to go up. But continue to gnash your teeth over this day after day.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Dak has all the leverage because Dallas has absolutely zero plan for anything other than Dak. They aren't high enough in the draft to pick any QB worth a damn. Free agency QBs? Either they will suck or even average QBs are going to cost a lot. Trade him? No one is going to do that. They definitely are not going to tank like Miami or Cincy did. Dak is better than any free agent or guy they could realistically draft. His backups are beyond terrible. And McCarthy likes him.

Dallas is going to pay him like they did Zeke. And then all the bitching and whining will begin and it will be glorious.

Lol how can you have these two posts in a span of minutes. You just asked a question, and answered it as if you were responding to your own question. I’m not denying the fact that he’s consistently one of the 10-20 best QBs in the league. You don’t even have a shot if you don’t have one of those guys. My point is, I think we’ve seen Dak at his best and we’re essentially paying for what he did the last 4 years. Not what he’s going to be when Zeke and the oline wear down over the next 2-3 years. You say it’ll be glorious when everyone is “whining and complaining” but you are as big of a whiner and complainer as anyone in this thread during the actual football season. Stop being a hypocrite. Paying Dak that kind of money is signing up for exactly what we’ve been over the last 25 years. Mediocrity. Mediocre qb, mediocre HC, mediocre front office. But hey, man. That’s exactly what this franchise has been throughout my lifetime so why should any fan expect any different. Let’s just accept it for what it is, know that we’re never going to win shit with Dak unless it happens next year, and keep spinning our mediocre wheels. Fuck it. 

He's really fired up about this Dak thing. I think most of the rest of us think he's a good QB who needs a top 10 line, a top 10 receiver, and a top 10 defense to have a chance to get a NFC title game but with the Jones' running the team those things won't happen if the QB is getting paid almost 40 mil a year. They just don't draft well enough consistently. 

Edited by Junior Miller

On 2/23/2020 at 1:24 AM, Vic Mackey said:

I won’t bitch.  They will never win more than 10 games in a season though, and certainly no Super Bowls.  I’d go out on a limb and say no CCG either.

54 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I think the Jones family are like trump. They lie so much they don't realize when they don't need to lie. 

theres a guy around here that sends out warnings for this kinda stuff!!!   Maybe it depends on the politician???   idk

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

Stop shit posting politics, you sorry piece of shit motherfucker.

There was nothing remotely political about that post, it was a comparison highlighting the Jones families' propensity for lying. 

Has this country become such a giant steaming pile of shit that even making a statement comparing 1 family to a well-known trait of the president is considered a political statement? I think you sissies need to stop being so fucking sensitive and stop trying to get offended at every little fucking thing you hear or read. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

12 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

There was nothing remotely political about that post, it was a comparison highlighting the Jones families' propensity for lying. 

Has this country become such a giant steaming pile of shit that even making a statement comparing 1 family to a well-known trait of the president is considered a political statement? I think you sissies need to stop being so fucking sensitive and stop trying to get offended at every little fucking thing you hear or read. 

1380179147_randy-marsh-shit-o.gif

• Like 1

Stop shit posting politics, you sorry piece of shit motherfucker.

Stop getting so triggered. It was a throwaway line by a mostly ridiculous poster. Just move on. Don’t make it a big deal, it won’t be a big deal. Save the rancor for the times Junior really gets cloaky.

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Stop getting so triggered. It was a throwaway line by a mostly ridiculous poster. Just move on. Don’t make it a big deal, it won’t be a big deal. Save the rancor for the times Junior really gets cloaky.

I addressed the post and did not engage further.  It should always be addressed.  It isn’t cute or necessary.

It is deliberate and needs to stop.  Multiple threads now, and then the motherfucker acts all coy about it.

Again, it is very simple to stop if the mods will stick to their own rules.

Edited by Iceman

22 minutes ago, Rabidhorn said:

Man the bullshit gets real high this time of year.

there's no way that overrated fast-talking mental midget who has a shit arm and shit accuracy and a shit brain is worth what he's asking.  and 32 out of 32 GMs would take tua over dak.  jerry just doesn't have that choice. 

13 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

I just wanna know why we appear to pay near market value for all our guys? Is there any good to great veterans on a Cowboys friendly deal? One or two?

Gotta pay top dollar when guys know they are never going to get a shot at super bowl.

• Like 1

I don't think any team is loaded up with team friendly deals.  Outside of Brady what are the famous team friendly deals?  That's not rhetorical I have no idea.  All I hear about is Brady.

QB is the only position that's legacy is defined by superbowls.  All other players can still be all time greats HOFs without it, so there is not much reason signing second/third contracts for below market value for anyone except QB.

I’d rather have Tua than Dak. Mainly because I’m bored with the Cowboys, and Tua I feel gives hope. Dak better thank his lucky stars he is a Cowboy. Imagine if he played for the Dolphins or the Lions? Dude would be irrelevant and certainly not in the position he is in. He’s a good QB, do I see him going head to head with Mahomes or Lamar...etc and winning? I was ready before last season to give him whatever, but when you cant lead your team to a playoff birth in the worst division,  sorry he lost his leverage.