Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$33M/year puts Dak behind Russell Wilson (35M), Ben Roethlisberger (34M), Aaron Rodgers (33.5M) and Jared Goff (33.5M) and ahead of Carson Wentz (32M) and Matt Ryan (30M). I still think it's too much but OK, if that's the market. What's the sticking point? Annual number or the guaranteed money (105M)? Seems like an awful lot of money for a guy that is barely Top 10 in the league at his position -- if he's even that.
Especially since he won't have to pay State income tax on that $33 mil, unlike those other guys.

2 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Maybe Dak should look at his list of accomplishments and be realistic

They are extremely longer than Wentz and he got $32mill before last season. It's like people don't understand the economics of the league and how these contracts work. I mean Teddy Bridgewater might get $30mill a year and he hasn't accomplished jack shit. Newsflash, QBs are going to get paid. A lot. And it will get more expensive as each year passes.

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He turned down $33M last September as well. Maybe Stephen should quit running out with the exact same offer hoping Dak will change his mind. 

They increased the guaranteed money to $105MM(?, I know it doesn't equal 33x3, but that's what multiple radio stations were quoting this afternoon)

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

They are extremely longer than Wentz and he got $32mill before last season. It's like people don't understand the economics of the league and how these contracts work. I mean Teddy Bridgewater might get $30mill a year and he hasn't accomplished jack shit. Newsflash, QBs are going to get paid. A lot. And it will get more expensive as each year passes.

You shop like a lot of wives.  "I had to buy this.  Think about how much money I saved."...on something she could totally have lived without, but hell, being on sale forced her hand.

Edited by Iceman

36 minutes ago, Iceman said:

They increased the guaranteed money to $105MM(?, I know it doesn't equal 33x3, but that's what multiple radio stations were quoting this afternoon)

You shop like a lot of wives.  "I had to buy this.  Think about how much money I saved."...on something she could totally have lived without, but hell, being on sale forced her hand.

The 105MM is still less than what Goff and Wentz were guaranteed in the contracts they signed a year ago. Even if you think Dak is worse than them the time value of money says he's not going to take less than what they got over a year ago. That's just not how this works, especially with QBs, especially with a cap that has gone up nearly 20MM since they signed.  Even if you got Dak drunk and he admitted he'd take it his agent definitely wouldn't allow it.  An agent who, by the way,  has his 1st QB client in Dak is simply not gonna allow him to go backwards in the QB market,  especially not to QBs he can empirically argue he's better than.  Stephen and crew should've attempted to blow Dak away with an offer before Wentz and Goff signed,  but according to most outlets they didn't make an offer until last September and then didn't make another offer until just recently.  Now they've come back with another offer to counter their replica offer of last September's offer. 

Stephen seems to have a poor understanding of leverage and an even worse understanding of when he possesses it. Seems like he loses every standoff he's attempted (DeMarcus Lawrence, Dez, Zeke, Dak) and fares better when he gets out in front of the market (Tyron Smith, Frederick, Martin, Collins). 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

What leverage does Dak have?  The Cowboys are negotiating against themselves. Nobody would trade for him and if he did hit FA, who would sign him for more than what the Cowboys have offered?  Who are the teams that need a QB and are in win now situations?  Which team that needs a QB does Dak instantly put into the Super Bowl contender discussion?  Hell, who are the teams in the draft that would trade a 1st round pick for Dak?  There aren't any.  He should take this deal.  The Cowboys should franchise him and draft a QB this year or next.  I don't think finding another Dak somewhere in the draft is really going to be that difficult. 

Edited by Hate
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The 105MM is still less than what Goff and Wentz were guaranteed in the contracts they signed a year ago. Even if you think Dak is worse than them the time value of money says he's not going to take less than what they got over a year ago. That's just not how this works, especially with QBs, especially with a cap that has gone up nearly 20MM since they signed.  Even if you got Dak drunk and he admitted he'd take it his agent definitely wouldn't allow it.  An agent who, by the way,  has his 1st QB client in Dak is simply not gonna allow him to go backwards in the QB market,  especially not to QBs he can empirically argue he's better than.  Stephen and crew should've attempted to blow Dak away with an offer before Wentz and Goff signed,  but according to most outlets they didn't make an offer until last September and then didn't make another offer until just recently.  Now they've come back with another offer to counter their replica offer of last September's offer. 

Stephen seems to have a poor understanding of leverage and an even worse understanding of when he possesses it. Seems like he loses every standoff he's attempted (DeMarcus Lawrence, Dez, Zeke, Dak) and fares better when he gets out in front of the market (Tyron Smith, Frederick, Martin, Collins). 

I'm hardly dying on that hill of defending the Joneses...LOL.

That being said, Dak can take it or leave it.  It's a fair offer.  He's not gonna get more.  Not in this cycle at least...except to your point, that Daddy and Stephen tend to cave.

Sometimes its'd difficult as fuck contemplating how jerrah the businessman can be so brilliant, yet so fucking idiotic when it comes to the business of roster management.

Inviting multiple bidders to an auction would be in Dak's economic best interest.

If you franchise Dak, you run the real risk of losing Cooper (assuming the new CBA gets ratified) who is vital to the offense's productivity. And franchising Dak only postpones the inevitable and makes it more expensive a year from now. But Stephen is just the type of dealmaker to spend $100 in order to save $5.

I don't hold Dak in as high esteem as Vic or Drew, but you're out of your mind if you think you are replacing his productivity in the draft quickly.

• Like 1

What leverage does Dak have?  The Cowboys are negotiating against themselves. Nobody would trade for him and if he did hit FA, who would sign him for more than what the Cowboys have offered?  Who are the teams that need a QB and are in win now situations?  Which team that needs a QB does Dak instantly put into the Super Bowl contender discussion?  Hell, who are the teams in the draft that would trade a 1st round pick for Dak?  There aren't any.  He should take this deal.  The Cowboys should franchise him and draft a QB this year or next.  I don't think finding another Dak somewhere in the draft is really going to be that difficult. 
Keep deluding yourself. Nearly every reputable NFL site and reporter will tell you Dak is literally the top potential free agent on the market. Just cuz you have an inane view of him doesn't mean people who actually do this for living view a 26 year old QB who consistently ranks in the top 7 to 8 on all the relevant metrics as trash.

fa0f8ed3265c13398267cc1270890c5a.jpg

Maybe the Cleveland Browns might be interested...LOlz.

Dak ain't a franchise changing QB.  NFL reporters and talking heads don't know anything more than we do.  We all see the same fucking game on the field.

Edited by Iceman

Just now, Hate said:

Name the teams that would sign him to that contract rather than draft a QB.  Who are the franchises that are a Dak Prescott away from winning a Super Bowl?  I'll hang up and listen.

the Chiefs...

If they keep Mahomes.

You asked...

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Dak was 27 of 49 with one TD.  Mitch was 23 of 31 with 3 TD's...oh, and Chicago won the game.

Now we're getting somewhere. Based on the outcome of that single game, you've identified a more desirable QB to lead the Cowboys whose services will be available next year. So we can franchise Dak this year, sign Trubisky to a contract well below the line of demarcation you have drawn for Dak, and get a better QB in your estimation while saving our draft capital for other needs. You are a problem solving straight shooter with upper management written all over you.

• Like 1

so many dak apologists out there... the bottom line is that he’s going to be the third best quarterback in the conference in 2020, and he’s a moron.  anyone with a brain (not looking at you, vic) knows that if dak and wentz switch teams carson is once again competing for the MVP and dak is fighting for a four-win season.  greg ward and jj arcega-whiteside aren’t in the playoffs with rayne prescott constantly missing them in space.  and daniel jones will surpass dak fairly easily this season on brains alone, not to mention his superior physical tools.  dak and that redskins qb are probably a toss-up, though I’ve seen rumors that ron rivera may go ahead and take tua.  then you’re looking at paying the worst quarterback in the worst division in football the highest contract in the history of the league.  plus he’s an idiot.  you don’t pay dumb quarterbacks crazy money.  but excuse me, don’t let me get in the way of your apologies for this fraudulent waste of space no-talent ass clown.  

• Like 1

Now we're getting somewhere. Based on the outcome of that single game, you've identified a more desirable QB to lead the Cowboys whose services will be available next year. So we can franchise Dak this year, sign Trubisky to a contract well below the line of demarcation you have drawn for Dak, and get a better QB in your estimation while saving our draft capital for other needs. You are a problem solving straight shooter with upper management written all over you.

I’d rather have Dak than Mitch, but if Dak thinks he’s worth top 5 money he is sorely mistaken. Anyone who is objective about this can see the same thing. Dak is average. You could maybe win a SB with him if everything aligns perfectly, but you will never win a SB because of him.

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I’m safely aboard for the first time ever the Fuck Dak train. Selfish over hyped ass. Let him walk 

Zeke and Dak have Dallas by the balls. They absolutely have zero plan on what to do without them. Dak will get paid whatever he wants Dallas to pay him.

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Zeke and Dak have Dallas by the balls. They absolutely have zero plan on what to do without them. Dak will get paid whatever he wants Dallas to pay him.

if this were 20 years ago and we had this roster with trent dilfer as our qb hitting free agency would you pay him $40MM/year?  was dilfer ever worth setting the market?  the ravens would have been laughed out of the league if they paid dilfer the highest contract in league history, and that motherfucker won. a. super. bowl. 

dak is trash.  you don’t give trash more money than the best players in the league.  

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 12:40 PM, C-Man said:

$33M/year puts Dak behind Russell Wilson (35M), Ben Roethlisberger (34M), Aaron Rodgers (33.5M) and Jared Goff (33.5M) and ahead of Carson Wentz (32M) and Matt Ryan (30M). I still think it's too much but OK, if that's the market. What's the sticking point? Annual number or the guaranteed money (105M)? Seems like an awful lot of money for a guy that is barely Top 10 in the league at his position -- if he's even that.

More than Carson Wentz is ridiculous (bc the Eagles way overpaid) but I at least understand why the offer is that high. Dak turning that down is dumb. Franchise and let him go try to get a better offer on the open market 

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

More than Carson Wentz is ridiculous (bc the Eagles way overpaid) but I at least understand why the offer is that high. Dak turning that down is dumb. Franchise and let him go try to get a better offer on the open market 

You guys realize that Average per year is only 1 of 4 key things in a contract.  Total Guaranteed.  Total Years.  And Total Value are all important as well.

All we keep hearing is what the Cowboys have offered(of course, they're leaking it) per year.  Sometimes you'll hear about the Guaranteed money too.  But never the others.  Dak would be absolutely stupid to sign a 5-6 year deal with the cap going up the way it is, and with the TV contracts up after 2-3 years too...meaning when they get redone, the Cap will jump maybe 30%.  

You guys continue to one, claim Dak isn't any good, or isn't good enough(when after 4 years it's hard to make that determination over any QB except special ones), and then you're also not actually looking at the ENTIRE scope of a deal.  Instead, you're falling for the idiotic talking heads and twitter warriors, and are stupidly falling into the "Dak is greedy" trap.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Drew said:

You guys realize that Average per year is only 1 of 4 key things in a contract.  Total Guaranteed.  Total Years.  And Total Value are all important as well.

All we keep hearing is what the Cowboys have offered(of course, they're leaking it) per year.  Sometimes you'll hear about the Guaranteed money too.  But never the others.  Dak would be absolutely stupid to sign a 5-6 year deal with the cap going up the way it is, and with the TV contracts up after 2-3 years too...meaning when they get redone, the Cap will jump maybe 30%.  

You guys continue to one, claim Dak isn't any good, or isn't good enough(when after 4 years it's hard to make that determination over any QB except special ones), and then you're also not actually looking at the ENTIRE scope of a deal.  Instead, you're falling for the idiotic talking heads and twitter warriors, and are stupidly falling into the "Dak is greedy" trap.

So you want to make Dak the highest-paid player in the league not once but twice?

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Based on the information publicly available I’m comfortable with my post that the Cowboys would be better off franchising him for this year and letting Dak test the market. I don’t see how he gets a better offer, but if he does, good luck to him 

Edited by Pig Bellmont

13 minutes ago, futureman said:

not after another 8-8 season.  no way in hell. 

Not even you're this stupid.  The Cowboys are an every other year team. They'll win double digit games easy next season.  New Coach.  New Offense, easier schedule probably and they'll rebound, like they do EVERY  year after a down year.  Jesus Christ, at least watch this team.  Can't wait for you to disappear for 2 months when the cowboys are 8-3 or some shit...only to pop back in when they lose some late game and the sky is falling.

The big mistake this front office is about to make is letting Byron Jones go. The deeper I dig into DBs the Cowboys have had overt the last 8 years it becomes clear that the lack of interceptions were a systemic issue resulting from the scheme. Even Morris Claiborne became a ball hawk after leaving the Cowboys. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

Not even you're this stupid.  The Cowboys are an every other year team. They'll win double digit games easy next season.  New Coach.  New Offense, easier schedule probably and they'll rebound, like they do EVERY  year after a down year.  Jesus Christ, at least watch this team.  Can't wait for you to disappear for 2 months when the cowboys are 8-3 or some shit...only to pop back in when they lose some late game and the sky is falling.

what a ridiculous post.  last year when we were 3-0 I’m sure you’d have wagered your first-born child that we’d make the playoffs.  for you to make that post is fucking unbelievable.  especially with a huge question mark at the quarterback position.