Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/6/2020 at 6:22 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

Guess which team has spent the least, out pacing all other teams by 12 fucking million.  

"Cowboys fans, don't believe the hype about trouble keeping Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper and Byron Jones and anyone else. It's beyond time for the Cowboys to be writing checks left and right. The poster boys for marketing and sales revenue spent $134M less than the tiny-market Jaguars over the past four years. Let the shopping begin in The Big D!"

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

We didn't get it done or even make the NFC Championship game when Dak was making pennies for 4 years. When he's the top paid QB in football and we start losing Byron Jones etc 10 wins is basically our ceiling. 

Part of the reason we didn't do shit when Dak was making pennies is due to spending the least amount of money in the league by far during that same period of time. 

After 4 years you know exactly what a QB is.  That's ridiculous. 
How are his stats the last 4 years in the league compared to others?

I'll hang up and listen when you post them.

I am thinking a bunch of you, no, I know a bunch of you think a qb is based on playoff wins and SB wins like they were golfers like tiger woods and jack Nicklaus.

You probably think trent delfer and jeff hostetler is better than dan Marino as well simply because of a trophy. Dumbasses.

58 minutes ago, markstanco said:

How are his stats the last 4 years in the league compared to others?

I'll hang up and listen when you post them.

I am thinking a bunch of you, no, I know a bunch of you think a qb is based on playoff wins and SB wins like they were golfers like tiger woods and jack Nicklaus.

You probably think trent delfer and jeff hostetler is better than dan Marino as well simply because of a trophy. Dumbasses.

You probably think a bunch of empty stats make a QB great. You were probably a huge Romo fan.  How many playoff wins did he have?   I think that Dak is an average QB and will need the perfect roster and set of circumstances during a season to become a SB winning QB.  I do not think you will win a SB because of Dak.  I'd rather they let him walk, sign Andy Dalton to a short term deal and draft another QB than to sign Dak to a contract like is being reported he wants.  he isn't worth it at all.

13 minutes ago, Hate said:

You probably think a bunch of empty stats make a QB great. You were probably a huge Romo fan.  How many playoff wins did he have?   I think that Dak is an average QB and will need the perfect roster and set of circumstances during a season to become a SB winning QB.  I do not think you will win a SB because of Dak.  I'd rather they let him walk, sign Andy Dalton to a short term deal and draft another QB than to sign Dak to a contract like is being reported he wants.  he isn't worth it at all.

Romo >>>>> Dak

• Like 1

WFC about the Romo comparison( it's not one, really?)

Prescott isn't remotely worth $40MM/ season.  $33MM was fair and possibly a bit generous.  Now it's gonna turn into idiocy and being a bitch.  Regardless of his performance on the field, if the demand for $40MM/ season is true, Dak just made it completely about something other than his value to the team.

He can go fuck himself.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, markstanco said:

You probably think Tom Brady would have a SB win if he spent his career in Dallas as well. 

I've always felt part of VY's greatness was overcoming Mack.  Brady would likely have buried the Ginger somewhere in Irving or Grand Prairie after enduring THAT ineptitude.

12 hours ago, C-Man said:

If this is remotely accurate, fuck you, Dak

021886110f37974c77cc00410c819096.jpg

Literally no source covered this. They cited nothing. No one on the local radio/media discussed it. No national media. No one on Twitter.

But hey, they got what they wanted. Their lame ass page got free press. Lmao. It got the anti Dak dorks all up in arms and stomping their feet and gnashing their teeth.

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 2

It's not real till Shefty says so...LOlz.

FTR, not anti-Dak.  he's a good dude.  The business side of things are a little out of alignment, that's all.  i loved the hell outta Billy Bates, on and off the field.  That doesn't mean he should have been paid like Ronnie Lott.  Questioning the terms of Dak's contract, and its impact on the Cowboys as a whole; has nothing to do with liking or disliking Dak Prescott.

Edited by Iceman

This report seems plausible and explains why he hasn't already been signed. There have been multiple reports about him wanting a short contract.  He'll probably go the Cousins route. I'd actually be pretty happy with two tags. Two years without the clapper to show what he can do. After that, the cap will skyrocket and there should be no doubt about committing to an insane contract. 

If Dak wanted to sign at market, it would have been wrapped up a long time ago. There's no doubt in my mind he's trying to significantly reset the market. Blaming Stephen and JJ is fun and all, but it takes two. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

18 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

This report seems plausible and explains why he hasn't already been signed. There have been multiple reports about him wanting a short contract.  He'll probably go the Cousins route. I'd actually be pretty happy with two tags. Two years without the clapper to show what he can do. After that, the cap will skyrocket and there should be no doubt about committing to an insane contract. 

If Dak wanted to sign at market, it would have been wrapped up a long time ago. There's no doubt in my mind he's trying to significantly reset the market. Blaming Stephen and JJ is fun and all, but it takes two. 

All of this. Dak wants a 4-year deal and the Cowboys want a longer commitment at today's dollars. Tag his ass for two years and see what McCarthy can do with him. Draft a better option than Cooper Rush, spend a good pick if you think somebody can be the guy.

I typically side with the players on contracts, but QBs operate on a completely different pay scale than everyone else.  You have shitty QBs operating on Aaron Donald/Khalil Mack money.  Dak could sign the biggest team friendly deal ever and still be the higher paid than any non QB in the league.  Unless you've already delivered like Mahomes or Rodgers you are just putting a giant target on your back.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, C-Man said:

I'd argue Dak has had a lot more talent around him than Romo did the majority of his career.

And you'd be wrong except the OL Dak had for his first 2 years was better than the 2010-2013.  People still completely forget just how good his teams were from 06-09(more talented than anything Dak has had overall) and offensively Witten in his prime, Cole, and Dez in his prime in his later years when the defense sucked and the OL wasn't that good.

That's a ridiculous argument that people are conveniently forgetting every time they bring up Romo. And I am STILL the biggest Romo guy on this board, and was then too(just ask Vic).

BTW the great OL that Dak supposedly has only lasted for about a season and a half(ATL game in 2017) after that they've not lived up to their billing except in hype by twitter users.  He had NO receiving options in 2018 until they traded for Cooper.  And last year, with weapons, they had a top 5 offense and he was a Top 5 QB by metrics.  Just like Romo did in the latter part of his career when he had great weapons but bad defenses/OL's.  Oh and his last great year he had a team built the same way with the same weapons as Dak had in 2016.

But please, tell me how tough Romo compared to Dak.  People still forget that Romo's contracts, and the constant restructuring of it, hurt the team(especially since he could play and retired early) MUCH more than any contract Dak signs now.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

52 minutes ago, C-Man said:

All of this. Dak wants a 4-year deal and the Cowboys want a longer commitment at today's dollars. Tag his ass for two years and see what McCarthy can do with him. Draft a better option than Cooper Rush, spend a good pick if you think somebody can be the guy.

Tagging Dak means he's gone.  No QB has ever stayed long term after that.

All this "See what he can do" shit is dumb.  We've SEEN what he can do.  How many times are we going to say "See what he can do this year" when he's gotten BETTER every damned year?  They wanted to see what he could do after 2017, then after 2018, and now again after 2019.  When does it end?  No wonder he's trying to hold them over the barrell… a competent front office would have already locked up Dak at worst a year ago.  But nope.  

I still hope he goes somewhere else.  Just to prove this fan base still has no clue when it comes to evaluating QB's.

But sure let's get up in arm about losing a guy that doesn't get turnovers(the dude is LEGIT in coverage though, don't mistake that).

BTW Dak's contract has NO bearing on keeping Byron.  Unless you're thinking they'd tag HIM instead of Amari if they got Dak's deal done.

8 minutes ago, Drew said:

But please, tell me how tough Romo compared to Dak.  People still forget that Romo's contracts, and the constant restructuring of it, hurt the team(especially since he could play and retired early) MUCH more than any contract Dak signs now.

Unless the new salary cap is $294,000,000 in 2021, you are wrong.  Waaaaaaaay fucking wrong.

The cap for 2020 is $188.2million.   Is there a 33% boost on the horizon?

Tony Romo's highest percentage of team cap space was 13.4 in 2016.

https://overthecap.com/player/tony-romo/145/

Edited by Iceman

24 minutes ago, Drew said:

Tagging Dak means he's gone.  No QB has ever stayed long term after that.

All this "See what he can do" shit is dumb.  We've SEEN what he can do.  How many times are we going to say "See what he can do this year" when he's gotten BETTER every damned year?  They wanted to see what he could do after 2017, then after 2018, and now again after 2019.  When does it end?  No wonder he's trying to hold them over the barrell… a competent front office would have already locked up Dak at worst a year ago.  But nope.  

I still hope he goes somewhere else.  Just to prove this fan base still has no clue when it comes to evaluating QB's.

Hey fan boy, I want Dak back -- but not at a certain price. How hard is that to process? Dak's overall #'s look great for last season but he had some absolute clunker performances and he couldn't even get this team to the playoffs in a total dogshit division. That's not a good look.

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

Unless the new salary cap is $294,000,000 in 2021, you are wrong.  Waaaaaaaay fucking wrong.

The cap for 2020 is $188.2million.   Is there a 33% boost on the horizon?

Tony Romo's highest percentage of team cap space was 13.4 in 2016.

https://overthecap.com/player/tony-romo/145/

Not sure where you're getting your cap numbers from,  but you're way too low. 

I think you're referencing 2019's cap number. 

2 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

People are blaming Stephen because this is his MO. He negotiates like a jackass. Feed the media ridiculous stories, bad mouthing players and what they're asking for. Then give in for what they've asked for all along which is well below what's been fed to the media in the prior months. Did it to Dez,  DeMarcus Lawrence, Zeke,  and now Dak. The only reason we haven't heard much about Cooper is because Dak's contract noise is drowning him out.

Saw this on Twitter and I bet Dak's contract ends up looking something like this. It clears the guaranteed money hurdle ($107 to $110mm) he's been asking for, it's 4 years which is probably middle ground between what he wants and what the Cowboys prefer, and it's nowhere near the $40mm per number the Cowboys want the knuckledraggers to believe.

12fe6e796adf972c9421f416cc9994dc.jpg

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Not sure where you're getting your cap numbers from,  but you're way too low. 

I think you're referencing 2019's cap number. 

google fucked me.  Is that a legit excuse?  LOlz.

OK so the cap for the 2020 season is expected to be $200MM.  In Tony Romo's largest percentage of team cap space, he was at 13.4.   That would be 26.8 million per year in 2020...for an established QB who had demonstrated play making ability.  Drew's assertion was egregiously incorrect with regard to Romo's impact on the Cowboys payroll versus a $40MM contract for Prescott. 

I understand the market has changed in 4 years, but $40MM for a player of Dak's( lack of) demonstrated productivity is a huge risk from the Cowboys' perspective.  It also further demonstrates that the $30MM per year offer and $105MM guaranteed is legit, if not outright generous.

Edited by Iceman

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

Yes ... Jones could call Dan Snyder for advice on the Skins model for successfully tagging Kirk Cousins.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Iceman said:

google fucked me.  Is that a legit excuse?  LOlz.

OK so the cap for the 2020 season is expected to be $200MM.  In Tony Romo's largest percentage of team cap space, he was at 13.4.   That would be 26.8 million per year in 2020...for an established QB who had demonstrated play making ability.  Drew's assertion was egregiously incorrect with regard to Romo's impact on the Cowboys payroll versus a $40MM contract for Prescott. 

I understand the market has changed in 4 years, but $40MM for a player of Dak's( lack of) demonstrated productivity is a huge risk from the Cowboys' perspective.  It also further demonstrates that the $30MM per year offer and $105MM guaranteed is legit, if not outright generous.

The NFL is about to sign a new CBA and negotiate a new media rights (TV/Streaming) deal in the next 18 months.  There is speculation the 2021 cap could be anywhere from 225 million to 240 million on the high end and could be somewhere in the neighborhood of 275 million by 2023.  It's why the new CBA offer from the owners is outrageously bad.  Not taking a stance either way but the cap is set to explode..... now, who knows what COV will do to it (if anything) if there is lost revenue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The NFL is about to sign a new CBA and negotiate a new media rights (TV/Streaming) deal in the next 18 months.  There is speculation the 2021 cap could be anywhere from 225 million to 240 million on the high end and could be somewhere in the neighborhood of 275 million by 2023.  It's why the new CBA offer from the owners is outrageously bad.  Not taking a stance either way but the cap is set to explode..... now, who knows what COV will do to it (if anything) if there is lost revenue.

the players' percentage of the Cap is increasing under the new CBA.

59 minutes ago, Iceman said:

the players' percentage of the Cap is increasing under the new CBA.

It's ridiculously bad. The players stupidly traded away their one real bargaining chip (an extra game) for chump change. They didn't even get their share of the revenue up to the revenue threshold of what they had a couple of CBAs ago.

On 3/12/2020 at 5:43 AM, Catdaddyhorn said:

It's ridiculously bad. The players stupidly traded away their one real bargaining chip (an extra game) for chump change. They didn't even get their share of the revenue up to the revenue threshold of what they had a couple of CBAs ago.

NFLPA has to be the weakest union known to man. They royally get bent over and fucked time and time again. And then whine about it later on how unfair they are treated compared to other sports. I get that not every player has a voice in these things but they could be paid a hell of a lot more than they are and their revenue share could be much greater. The last time they gave it all up for less practice time. That's it. And yet didn't they elect the same people to be in charge of their union? 

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

NFLPA has to be the weakest union known to man. They royally get bent over and fucked time and time again. And then whine about it later on how unfair they are treated compared to other sports. I get that not every player has a voice in these things but they could be paid a hell of a lot more than they are and their revenue share could be much greater. The last time they gave it all up for less practice time. That's it. And yet didn't they elect the same people to be in charge of their union? 

They'll always be weak from the nature of the sport.  The average lifespan of a player is 3.3 years so no one can afford a stoppage.

• Like 2