Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

On 4/4/2020 at 4:06 PM, Hate said:

Name the teams...and I don't mean trade for a 6th round pick.  I mean a first round pick which would be fair compensation for a starting QB.  With his apparent salaray demands, not one team of the other 31 would trade for him. 

Arizona Cardinals-no because of Murray
Atlanta Falcons-no because of Ryan
Baltimore Ravens-no because of Jackson
Buffalo Bills-no because of Allen
Carolina Panthers-no because of Bridgewater
Chicago Bears-no because of Trubisky and likely to sign a FA QB
Cincinnati Bengals-no because they will draft one
Cleveland Browns-no because of Mayfield
Denver Broncos-I guess, but why??
Detroit Lions-no because of Stafford
Green Bay Packers-no because of Rodgers
Houston Texans-no because of Watson
Indianapolis Colts-no because they already have a less expensive version of Dak
Jacksonville Jaguars-no because of Minshew
Kansas City Chiefs-no because of Mahomes
Los Angeles Chargers-no because they will draft one
Los Angeles Rams-no because of Goff
Miami Dolphins-no because they will draft one
Minnesota Vikings-no because of Cousins
New England Patriots-no because Belichick knows Dak is average
New Orleans Saints-no because of Brees
New York Giants-no because of Jones
New York Jets-no because of Darnold
Oakland Raiders-no because of Carr
Philadelphia Eagles-no because of Wentz
Pittsburgh Steelers-no because of Ben
San Francisco 49ers-no because of Garoppolo
Seattle Seahawks-no because of Wilson
Tampa Bay Buccaneers-no because of Brady
Tennessee Titans-no because of aggy
Washington Redskins-no because of Haskins

Did you really just type up every single team and list every single QB to be redundant in your statement that no team would trade for him?

• Like 1

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, futureman said:

I love your rationale.  "they should."  why, because dumbfuck drew thinks so?

nobody would trade for dak.  shut the fuck up, drew.

No his rationale is to ignore the dude who incessantly filled this forum up with Mike White prognostications for 2 straight years. 

• Like 2

Did you really just type up every single team and list every single QB to be redundant in your statement that no team would trade for him?

I had to show Drew how unrealistic his statement that there are teams that would trade for Dak. I asked him to show me which ones would and he called me a Futurmen sock and then allegedly put me on ignore. I don’t hate Drew. I really don’t have any problems with him even if I pretty much disagree with every one of his posts. I also don’t hate Dak. I don’t think he is worth the contract he wants and I don’t think there are any other teams that would want him over what they have, can draft, or can sign on the FA market.

20 hours ago, Hate said:

Why in the hell would the Chargers trade for Dak and his contract demands when they can draft a QB to mold and have on a rookie deal for 4 years.

And what makes you think the Redskins are done with Haskins? Outside of Arizona, how many teams give up on a first round pick after 9 starts?? And if they did bring in a veteran QB, they’d most likely bring in Cam over trading for Dak.

The Chargers or any NFL team would gladly pay the market rate for a QB that is proven instead of drafting a QB. Unless it is an Andrew Luck/John Elway/Peyton Manning level prospect no NFL GM would prefer to rely on the draft to fill the QB spot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yes, all QBs are better than Dak, aren't you paying attention? Same with the XFL, nobody wants him. 

Dallas because of Landry Jones.

DC because of Cardale Jones

New York because of Mark McGloin

Tampa Bay because of Taylor Cornelius

Etc.

See how easy that is?

• Like 1

I mean I literally took Hate's list, and bolded all the teams that could, would, and should trade for Dak if given the opportunity, and they still said that wasn't true. Or pretended I didn't respond?  So it's basically talking to a wall. 

I think putting them on ignore is the best.  They'll never have another rational thought when it comes to Dak, and, as has been proven, it's a fucking red flag for me, so best just to go on without them.

21 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I mean, it took me one second to find a lol on that list. The Redskins are already done with Haskins and are looking to use their draft pick on a QB. They would trade for Dak in a nano second. The Chargers would slap their mother to get Dak. You are kidding yourself if there is no trade value for Dak. 

The redskins aren’t done with Haskins. He actually showed a little promise near the end of the year. He was put into an impossible situation with a lame duck head coach that never wanted to draft him to begin with, who had Adrian Peterson as their leading rusher with no offensive line. If there was ever a prime example of getting drafted into a situation where your career is going to go to die and you’ll never be able to recover, see Dwayne Haskins. They’re considering Tua because they’re a terribly run franchise. Washington might be one of the only teams that would consider it, for that reason.

34 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The Chargers or any NFL team would gladly pay the market rate for a QB that is proven instead of drafting a QB. Unless it is an Andrew Luck/John Elway/Peyton Manning level prospect no NFL GM would prefer to rely on the draft to fill the QB spot. 

Also, I understand your rational but I think you’re dead wrong. Dak hasn’t proven he can be successful without a dominant running game or a dominant offensive line. You make a qb the highest paid qb in the league (even if it’s just for a fucking millisecond) when they’ve proven you can lean on them to carry the team for a few games if it comes down to that. Wentz has proved that (even through his teams injuries and his own injuries). Watson has proved that. Dak hasn’t proven that at all. In fact, all the evidence we have shows that when he doesn’t have one of either Tyron Smith, Zeke, or Amari Cooper, he’s a VERY average to slightly below average starting qb. A team like the chargers would much rather take their chances on having a solid young qb under a rookie deal, instead of making a middle tier guy the highest paid at his position just because that’s what the “market dictates.”

I would love the idea of actually letting him and his agent test the market. If you can come back with a deal you’re looking for and you don’t let us match, I wish you the best. I dont think he would though. You’re paying for the leadership qualities  (and nobody outside of our building really sees that) and the hope that he continues develop into a guy that could carry your team for a few games if you’re in a pinch and you have a rash of injuries. Dak isn’t that guy yet, and anyone willing to pay him is really rolling the dice that he turns into that type of guy. Because if he doesn’t, and we’ve seen the best out of Dak (due to an aging oline and an aging workhouse all pro rb) that is just a god awful contract.

He ALREADY carried them last year, despite the offensive limitations.  When he struggled, so did the team...so this whole "the team carries Dak" story should have been put to bed.

And please STOP this myth that the OL is dominant.  It hasn't been since 2016. It's good. They spend a lot of money on it.  But it hasn't been some force since Dak's rookie year.

He already showed MASSIVE improvements last year despite still being under Garrett's stewardship, a guy we all wanted run out of town 2 years ago or more.  And we're pretending he hasn't improved and cant' get any better?  I mean really?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Drew said:

You're futureman's sock aren't you?

Also, sorry this wasn't fast enough for you...I don't get on Surly on the weekends unless it's a game day.

Drew what are these teams giving up for Dak? Because you’re out of your god damn mind if you think anyone is giving up a valuable pick just so can turn around and make Dak the highest paid player in the fucking league. ESPECIALLY teams like the Broncos, the titans lol. I don’t even know if they’d do that if they had to turn around and sign him for tannehill money. 

• Like 1

You’re responses were a joke right? You’re hahaha was supposed to imply that those teams would trade for Dak? You mean Chicago that just signed Nick Foles? Or Carolina that just signed Bridegwater?? You think either of those teams would Trader for Dak after those signings? Goddamn Drew. And then you mentioned Brees and Big Ben and say for how much longer as if those teams would trade for Dak for 2 years from now?? Goddamn. And then you say teams should trade for Dak when they have a similar QB already on their roster under contract for less than what Dak wants and you think I would be on ignore?? I’m trying not to get personal, but you’re making it very difficult.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Drew said:

He ALREADY carried them last year, despite the offensive limitations.  When he struggled, so did the team...so this whole "the team carries Dak" story should have been put to bed.

And please STOP this myth that the OL is dominant.  It hasn't been since 2016. It's good. They spend a lot of money on it.  But it hasn't been some force since Dak's rookie year.

He already showed MASSIVE improvements last year despite still being under Garrett's stewardship, a guy we all wanted run out of town 2 years ago or more.  And we're pretending he hasn't improved and cant' get any better?  I mean really?

Drew shut the fuck up. I’d love for you to find me one defensive coordinator in the fucking league that didn’t say “we can’t let Zeke beat us. We have to do whatever it takes to get the ball out of his hands. If Dak gets his empty stats, fine, but they can’t beat us if Zeke doesn’t have a good game.”

You don’t make guys the highest paid player in the league when they’re saying shit like that about you. You just don’t. Every game against a legitimate defense, Dak looked lost. Then they had a sizable lead and Dak got his empty stats as we staged a weak comeback. 

And the oline isn’t dominant, but it’s far from average. It will be average within 2 years if/when we don’t draft well and put top resources into it. 

Dak is a fine starting qb. He’s right there with guys like cousins, jimmy g, tannehill, and Jared Goff. When everything around them is clicking, they can flash elite play. But you’re officially just as ridiculous as futureman is. Just on the other side. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Drew what are these teams giving up for Dak? Because you’re out of your god damn mind if you think anyone is giving up a valuable pick just so can turn around and make Dak the highest paid player in the fucking league. ESPECIALLY teams like the Broncos, the titans lol. I don’t even know if they’d do that if they had to turn around and sign him for tannehill money. 

We've seen QB's far less successful and thought of than Dak get anything from 1st to multiple high round picks.  You're kidding yourself if you don't think there wouldn't be multiple suiters if the Cowboys actually made him available, even after they did a deal with him.  Remember only social media and uninformed media members are actually using his contract as a negative.  Most people know that his contract will be a bargain in a couple of years.

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

You’re responses were a joke right? You’re hahaha was supposed to imply that those teams would trade for Dak? You mean Chicago that just signed Nick Foles? Or Carolina that just signed Bridegwater?? You think either of those teams would Trader for Dak after those signings? Goddamn Drew. And then you mentioned Brees and Big Ben and say for how much longer as if those teams would trade for Dak for 2 years from now?? Goddamn. And then you say teams should trade for Dak when they have a similar QB already on their roster under contract for less than what Dak wants and you think I would be on ignore?? I’m trying not to get personal, but you’re making it very difficult.

If you saying Chicago is set at QB now that they have Nick Foles signed I can only assume you are trolling at this point. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Drew shut the fuck up. I’d love for you to find me one defensive coordinator in the fucking league that didn’t say “we can’t let Zeke beat us. We have to do whatever it takes to get the ball out of his hands. If Dak gets his empty stats, fine, but they can’t beat us if Zeke doesn’t have a good game.”

You don’t make guys the highest paid player in the league when they’re saying shit like that about you. You just don’t. Every game against a legitimate defense, Dak looked lost. Then they had a sizable lead and Dak got his empty stats as we staged a weak comeback. 

And the oline isn’t dominant, but it’s far from average. It will be average within 2 years if/when we don’t draft well and put top resources into it. 

Dak is a fine starting qb. He’s right there with guys like cousins, jimmy g, tannehill, and Jared Goff. When everything around them is clicking, they can flash elite play. But you’re officially just as ridiculous as futureman is. Just on the other side. 

And they'd say the same thing about Zeke on EVERY team he'd be on except maybe KC and Seattle.  

Once again you're falling into the same old trap of "He's not worth being paid".  That doesn't matter.  He's a borderline elite QB and thus will be paid accordingly in the ""Next Man Up" philosophy of this league when it comes to QB's.  And later on this offseason, and next year, 4-5 other guys will get paid even more than him, and maybe even some that even YOU think are worse than him.

STop getting caught up in his damned contract...it won't matter.  His cap hit will not hurt the team in any significant way.

And I'm sorry, NO ONE is as ridiculous as Futureman.  That dude thinks High School QB's are better than Dak.  And isn't joking.  

Edited by Drew
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

If you saying Chicago is set at QB now that they have Nick Foles signed I can only assume you are trolling at this point. 

Of course he is.  It's the only actual answer to this nonsense.

• Fuck You 1

There’s no way around it because it’s the off-season and the Jones family still hasn’t made Dak the highest paid player in the league (I wonder why? Hmm), but we’re going to have to revisit this conversation in 2 or 3 years. Because let’s be clear. I want him to prove me wrong and i think everyone in this thread would rather be wrong and have him develop into an elite player. If he does, then it’s a good contract. If he doesn’t it’s a terrible contract. Either way, there’s going to be a lot of thread bumping one way or the other to relive whatever side is loud wrong about this situation. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

You mean like Jimmy G who was traded for a mid round 2nd? The Jimmy G who has already won more playoff games than Dak? Or Josh Rosen who was traded for a the last pick in the second round and a 5th round pick? I’ll give you that one if you really want to claim it. I would rather have Dak than Rosen.

• Like 1

No, I’m saying they would not trade for Dak. Their QB situation sucks, but they still would not trade for Dak.
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

ah, so 8-8 > super bowl MVP.  that’s not even trolling.  trolling at least makes an attempt to sound legitimate. 

53 minutes ago, Drew said:

I mean I literally took Hate's list, and bolded all the teams that could, would, and should trade for Dak if given the opportunity, and they still said that wasn't true.

it’s because you’re a mental midget, drew, and your misunderstood conception of “could, would, and should” doesn’t apply to reality.  you’re a fantasy-land panty-waste little bitch boy.

6 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m pretty sure there was a stat floating around last season ranking the number of heavy fronts RBs faced. From what I remember Zeke was in the middle of the pack. In other words, Zeke wasn’t the one defenses were gearing their game plan around.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

53 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I’m pretty sure there was a stat floating around last season ranking the number of heavy fronts RBs faced. From what I remember Zeke was in the middle of the pack. In other words, Zeke wasn’t the one defenses were gearing their game plan around.

you’re “pretty sure” something was “floating around”?  well, I guess that settles it then. 

44 minutes ago, futureman said:

you’re “pretty sure” something was “floating around”?  well, I guess that settles it then. 

No I was sure but didn't feel like looking it up.  But much like other times you've doubted a point I made (accuracy of Dak,  % of off target throws,  etc) I'll post data backing up my assertion and you'll suddenly become silent on the topic.  

You can sort through the data in the link below.  

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rushing#percent-eight-defenders

19 hours ago, Drew said:

But we sucked last year. He carried us to what, exactly? 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

“But the stats, man. The stats prove that Dak was the leader of the best offense in the league. Don’t worry about how he accumulated the stats. Don’t worry about the win loss record. Don’t worry about the fact that the division was basically gift wrapped for us but he was a big part of letting it slip away. His stats prove that he carried the team to 8 wins and the rest of the team just let him down the other 8.”

-Drew-

Edited by youdunnf'dup

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

He carried the offense...is that better?

Anyone who thinks Dak is just above average because they finished 8-8 is damn near on the Futureman level of stupidity.  Was Drew Brees average when the Saints finished with losing records? Aaron Rodgers? No, of course not.  Because most people realize that we give WAY too much credit and blame to QB's for wins and losses.

Also they finished 8-8 more because the defense was horrendous for large stretches of the season, and the Special Teams was even worse the entire year.  Plus, as we all said, the Coachign was awful from the top down with only some flashes from Kellen Moore here and there.  The Offense had some down moments, but was still a top 3 Offense pretty much the entire year.  That was mostly Dak showing that he's a really good QB and still improving.

Edited by Drew

10 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Well the 2 years we went to the playoffs, y'all said he was carried by everyone else. But when we don't make the playoffs, it's all him. How convenient. This is the inverse of the Romo logic. He was so great and had to overcome shitty defense and coaching. Never his fault. At least pick a stance and stick to it. You can't get zero credit when you win and all the blame when you lose.

Did you see the putrid defense, special teams and coaching? A defense that made Trubisky and Darnold look like first ballot hall of famers.

You know, there is a thing called partial blame to go around. But most fans it's 100% this and 0% that. Last time I checked, defense and special teams played a part. Dak had shitty moments and ill advised blunders but to lay that season solely at his feet makes whomever thinks that look like a tard. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Drew’s apologies for Dak is like @MaybeACoordinator on Charlie Strong. It’s pathetic. 

How is it any different than the god awful Romo apologists? God there were shit tons of them on here during the 3 straight 8-8 shitty years. "OMGzzz Romo is soooo good he just duznt haz a dfense!". Dak puts up almost 5k yards and has an 8-8 year "OMgzzzz he suckzzzzzzz. Put inz Cooper Rush. Trade him for Jameis Winston (yes there were a few morons on this thread who wanted this the day we played Tampa the end of 2018). 

Well the 2 years we went to the playoffs, y'all said he was carried by everyone else. But when we don't make the playoffs, it's all him. How convenient. This is the inverse of the Romo logic. He was so great and had to overcome shitty defense and coaching. Never his fault. At least pick a stance and stick to it. You can't get zero credit when you win and all the blame when you lose.
Did you see the putrid defense, special teams and coaching? A defense that made Trubisky and Darnold look like first ballot hall of famers.
You know, there is a thing called partial blame to go around. But most fans it's 100% this and 0% that. Last time I checked, defense and special teams played a part. Dak had shitty moments and ill advised blunders but to lay that season solely at his feet makes whomever thinks that look like a tard. 

Romo sucked too.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

How is it any different than the god awful Romo apologists? God there were shit tons of them on here during the 3 straight 8-8 shitty years. "OMGzzz Romo is soooo good he just duznt haz a dfense!". Dak puts up almost 5k yards and has an 8-8 year "OMgzzzz he suckzzzzzzz. Put inz Cooper Rush. Trade him for Jameis Winston (yes there were a few morons on this thread who wanted this the day we played Tampa the end of 2018). 

I don't particularly remember or care to go back, but I'm pretty sure the "Romo sucks" people are the same as the "Dak sucks" people. I don't think there's much overlap there. And for me it wasn't just the defense sucked, which it mostly did, but that the coaches and ginger in particular were absurdly dickless which is why we had so many 8-8 seasons and early playoff exits.

• Like 2

Just now, 'stache said:

I don't particularly remember or care to go back, but I'm pretty sure the "Romo sucks" people are the same as the "Dak sucks" people. I don't think there's much overlap there. And for me it wasn't just the defense sucked, which it mostly did, but that the coaches and ginger in particular were absurdly dickless which is why we had so many 8-8 seasons and early playoff exits.

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

Romo sucked too.

Lol, I got proven right while I was typing it. Don't you get it Vic? We gotta let those losers go and just draft the next Mahomes. Gawsh.

• Like 1

I said it just because I knew half the board would get an instant rage induced boner.  Romo didn't suck although I was not a fan of his.  I do feel like for whatever reason, he wasn't able to win the big game.  Maybe it was dropping the ball in Seattle, untimely interceptions in big games, and only winning 2 playoff games in all of his years here despite having one of the best 6 teams in the league a couple of times.  I understand Dez caught that ball in Green Bay, but there were a lot of wins that Romo left on the field.  I was more than happy to support Dak as the starter his rookie year and have generally been a fan of his.  I do not think he is worth the contract he is seeking, but that doesn't mean I don't think the Cowboys can't win with him.  I wish he would use his legs more as he left a few first downs on drives trying to throw the ball into windows that were too tight.  I think he's just a little bit inaccurate sometimes and turns what should be huge plays into nice gains and first downs.  I think they can win a Super Bowl with him, but I think he needs everything to break his way for that to happen while the really great QB's somehow manage to overcome those things.  It just seems Dak wants to be paid like he is truly great when he isn't. 

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Romo never “sucked” at any point in his career. Neither has Dak. Isn’t futureman literally the only person on this entire board that has said Dak sucks?! The hell are we talking about right now.

Theres a huge gap between sucking, and being a solid NFL qb that nobody fears going up against. That’s what Dak is. There isn’t a player or coach in the nfl that sees Dallas on the schedule and thinks “fuck, man. We gotta deal with Dak Prescott this week.” 

I say that, but if he just said to himself “I’m going to make a conscious effort to run more when shit breaks down” then I don’t see any reason he can’t flirt with being elite. He just won’t do it.

14 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I've never said Dak carried us when we made the playoffs. A balanced offense with an elite OL and RB, talented receivers and a very-good-but-not-quite-elite QB contributed to our offensive success.  

I don't disagree with you that we suck in a lot of areas. There's absolutely partial blame. Dak's a QB you can win with. If the right pieces are in place you can even win a super bowl with him. But he's not talented enough to carry this team to a super bowl. And making him the top paid player in the league will not allow us to put those pieces in place. He'll probably get his money and we'll do the same thing we always do where we suck one year, we're good enough to make the playoffs and lose in the second round the next year, then suck, then be sorta good. It's what we do. The last 25 years have given me enough data points to know what's gonna happen.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Romo never “sucked” at any point in his career. Neither has Dak. Isn’t futureman literally the only person on this entire board that has said Dak sucks?! The hell are we talking about right now.

Theres a huge gap between sucking, and being a solid NFL qb that nobody fears going up against. That’s what Dak is. There isn’t a player or coach in the nfl that sees Dallas on the schedule and thinks “fuck, man. We gotta deal with Dak Prescott this week.” 

I say that, but if he just said to himself “I’m going to make a conscious effort to run more when shit breaks down” then I don’t see any reason he can’t flirt with being elite. He just won’t do it.

If there is a single HC or DC in the league that enters a week scared of a particular QB they are bitchass coaches that probably shouldn't be coaching in the NFL. No QB can win alone. All of the highly paid QBs that have won need other pieces in place and good coaching. That includes Brady and Mahomes (who is going to blow the whole payscale up very soon way beyond what Dak will get). Again, the alternative is you get rid of a successful QB like Dak for fear of "overpaying" and wander below .500 while you hope to find the next Mahomes in the draft. It's not gonna fucking happen. We can win with Dak even at the salary the market has set. Others have done it, why is this the only franchise that has to try and win on the cheap?

21 minutes ago, 'stache said:

If there is a single HC or DC in the league that enters a week scared of a particular QB they are bitchass coaches that probably shouldn't be coaching in the NFL. No QB can win alone. All of the highly paid QBs that have won need other pieces in place and good coaching. That includes Brady and Mahomes (who is going to blow the whole payscale up very soon way beyond what Dak will get). Again, the alternative is you get rid of a successful QB like Dak for fear of "overpaying" and wander below .500 while you hope to find the next Mahomes in the draft. It's not gonna fucking happen. We can win with Dak even at the salary the market has set. Others have done it, why is this the only franchise that has to try and win on the cheap?

I think this is the point where we simply aren’t on the same page. It’s not about drafting the next mahomes. It’s about actually putting draft capital into hopefully finding another average to slightly above average starting qb that has potential to be elite if X, Y, and Z happen. Then, you have a slightly above average qb on a rookie deal, instead of making a slightly above average qb the highest paid player in the fucking sport. I’m not about to go futureman level, but there are number of starting QBs in the league that could do exactly what Dak has done up until this point in his career if they had the rb threat that Dak has had throughout his career. 

And again, I’m not saying don’t pay him. What I’m saying is, let him actually test the market and see if he can find that deal that him and his agent feel like he deserves. If he can find it, great. Try to match it. Don’t want to give us a chance to match because you’re a little butt hurt and you feel like your new team is a better situation for you? Understandable. Good luck to you. But if/when he doesn’t get that offer, and the offers start coming in right around the same price as our offer, then we’ve officially given him and his agent a fair chance to test their leverage. 

But, he’s already been tagged, so I guess that really isn’t an option, and that’s unfortunate. Because his franchise tag number is a solid deal for him and his agent. So we either overpay, or play this exact same game next year. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup