Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

2 hours ago, markstanco said:
2 hours ago, 'stache said:
Looks fast as hell. Will he be allowed to return kicks? I can't remember the last time we had someone who could return a kick worth a shit.

All rookies return kicks.

Not in the modern NFL. Ruggs won’t for example. 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Burgess went. So really no Safety left that’ll come in and play right away I don’t think.

Still not mad. Never really expected a top safety anyways.

Think they’ve had an amazing draft. Even if you thought someone else was better at 82, they still got great value at a position of need.

How long before those QBs come off the board? Wouldn’t mind one in the 5th or so. Give Cooper some competition for backup QB.

8 minutes ago, markstanco said:
38 minutes ago, Irieguy said:
Not in the modern NFL. Ruggs won’t for example. 

Amari, Odell, and Brandon cooks did in the the last few years, I remember that. I'm sure there are many others.

Amari has not returned a single kickoff in the NFL. Odell didn’t return a single kickoff his rookie year and only has 2 for his career. Cooks has returned 1 kickoff in his entire NFL career. And they were all drafted 5 or more years ago. The NFL has changed in the last 5 years. 

Amari has not returned a single kickoff in the NFL. Odell didn’t return a single kickoff his rookie year and only has 2 for his career. Cooks has returned 1 kickoff in his entire NFL career. And they were all drafted 5 or more years ago. The NFL has changed in the last 5 years. 
I'm not looking up every player but 5 years ago amari was returning punts. But for your arguments sake fine, no way, NO WAY, in today's NFL will there ever, ever again be a first round player to play special teams since it hasn't happened for a few years. Better?

10 minutes ago, markstanco said:
20 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

I'm not looking up every player but 5 years ago amari was returning punts. But for your arguments sake fine, no way, NO WAY, in today's NFL will there ever, ever again be a first round player to play special teams since it hasn't happened for a few years. Better?

Amari had 8 punt returns 5 years ago. That was the only year, so he has 8 for his career. 

A top pick might return kicks again some year but reality is much closer to my statement than to your statement of “all rookies return kicks”. That is simply not true. 

Edited by Irieguy

13 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I really wish we would draft aggy punter Braden Mann.    i know people hate all things Aggy here, but Mann has the best college punting average ever and Chris Jones was the worst punter in the NFL last year. 

Mann also earned a second-degree black belt in taekwondo as a youth.  "He started taekwondo when he was 3, and by the time he gave it up 10 years later to focus on football, he was a junior Olympian who was practicing the art seven days a week."

Along with punting, he was also a linebacker earlier in his career before injuring his back: 

"Texas A&M's Braden Mann, the 2018 Ray Guy Award winner, fractured the L4 and L5 vertebrae while playing football as a seventh-grader in Houston. Three years later, as a sophomore in high school, Mann suffered the injury again, and that prompted him to give up his favorite position of linebacker to concentrate on kicking full time.    “I know my mom was a little happier with me playing kicker,” Mann said in February at the NFL combine. “So I’m glad I made the switch. It worked out.”

Edited by LTtxfan

50 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Best Cowboys draft in years. I normally am pessimistic. Hated everyone from Travis frederick to Trysten Hill.

The trysten Hill and taco hate was totally justified.

its the main reason I didn’t want us to take a defensive lineman again. I’m so glad lamb dropped and made it easy on us. Tons of fans of other teams are even praising the pick. 

we did good!

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Mann also earned a second-degree black belt in taekwondo as a youth.  "He started taekwondo when he was 3, and by the time he gave it up 10 years later to focus on football, he was a junior Olympian who was practicing the art seven days a week."

Along with punting, he was also a linebacker earlier in his career before injuring his back: 

"Texas A&M's Braden Mann, the 2018 Ray Guy Award winner, fractured the L4 and L5 vertebrae while playing football as a seventh-grader in Houston. Three years later, as a sophomore in high school, Mann suffered the injury again, and that prompted him to give up his favorite position of linebacker to concentrate on kicking full time.    “I know my mom was a little happier with me playing kicker,” Mann said in February at the NFL combine. “So I’m glad I made the switch. It worked out.”

I'm down. Cowboys had the worst average starting field position in the NFL last year and the lost hidden yards was a killer. Having a competent punter would go a long way to helping.

15 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I’m just going to start downvoting anyone quoting futureman from now on. The ignore feature does not work if you keep quoting and engaging the troll. For Christ sake people put him on ignore. 

The one I quoted was a legit question, IMHO.  With hindsight, one might easily be inclined to ask, "Who would ever question picking Frederick?"  Well, at the time, a lot of folks questioned the value, as in, would he have still been there in the 2nd round?  It wasn't a question of Frederick being a quality player, as he was generally regarded as the best Center in the draft.

Edited by Iceman

(Jon Machota) How the Cowboys landed a player with 1% chance of falling to them; Day 3 goals

The Cowboys could not have asked for a better first two days of the NFL Draft. A day after landing the sixth-ranked player on their board, Oklahoma wide receiver CeeDee Lamb, they addressed a pair of significant needs on defense with a cornerback many experts predicted would be selected in the first round, Alabama’s Trevon Diggs, and a defensive tackle in the middle of the third round, Oklahoma’s Neville Gallimore, that Dallas strongly considered taking over Diggs in the second.

“When I look at how we got here, this thing by its very nature is based on how it falls, and we’re living right. It fell right for us these first two days,” Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said. “What excites me is that if it can happen to you on Day 1 and 2, I’m a dreamer, and I like to think it could happen to you on Day 3. I can’t wait, if it keeps going like this. We’ve gotten three players here that we’ve seen make inordinate, I mean rare, plays. All three of them.

“They are capable, they’ve got the upside to get in the habit of that. So that is fun to get players with this kind of upside. It is fun to beat the value at the place you draft them, relative to what’s generally considered value. That is fun. I am going to try to remember what I’ve done the last two days and keep it up (Saturday). I’m superstitious. I’m going to go back and do the exact same thing I did last night.”

Dallas entered the draft knowing it must fill some significant holes on defense, specifically at cornerback, edge rusher, defensive tackle and safety. But that plan changed in the first round when Lamb was surprisingly still available at Pick 17. That placed an even greater emphasis on defense in the second and third rounds. The Cowboys attempted to find a trade partner on Day 2, looking to move up and grab Diggs, a big defensive back (6-1, 205) with the ability to fill in Byron Jones’ spot as one of the team’s starting outside corners.

“We spent a lot of time (Friday) thinking about trading up,” Jones said. “But the thing, of course, about this trading thing now is that you have to have someone to trade with. You’ve got to be ready and you’ve got to do all the work as though you have several of them wanting to trade with you. We couldn’t get those trades. Nobody wanted to trade them.” The Cowboys were fortunate that Diggs was still available at Pick 51. The younger brother of Bills wide receiver Stefon Diggs felt he made a good connection with the Dallas front office during the pre-draft process, particularly on visits via video conferencing.

Diggs attended the University of Alabama after being a standout high school athlete. He played both corner and wide receiver during his freshman season with the Crimson Tide. Alabama head coach Nick Saban eventually convinced him that making a full-time move to cornerback was in his best interest. Diggs had three interceptions, eight pass breakups and two fumble recoveries (one returned for a touchdown) as a senior last year. He believes his experience playing wide receiver has helped him as a playmaker on defense. One of the biggest areas of weakness for the Cowboys defense over the last five years has been their inability to create turnovers on the back end. Dallas finished tied for last in the NFL last season with only seven interceptions.

“I can attack the ball,” Diggs said. “I can go get the ball. It’s like you have a wide receiver playing corner. I’m hungry for the ball. I don’t want pass breakups, I want interceptions.”

Diggs ended up being the eighth cornerback drafted. Some projected him to be the third player at his position to come off the board after Jeff Okudah, who went third overall, and C.J. Henderson, who was drafted with the ninth pick. How unlikely were the chances of Diggs falling to the Cowboys at 51? “We have well done, in-depth studies and charts that we all were reviewing (Friday) morning before the draft,” Jones said. “All of our studies showed that he was in the one percentile. Diggs was in the one-percent chance of falling to us there. One.”

Despite those slim odds, they still considered the possibility of taking Gallimore, who they had graded as a second-round pick on their board. One of the reasons they ended up agreeing on Diggs was because of where the two positions stacked up. At that point, they felt there was better depth remaining in this draft class on the interior of the defensive line. Diggs, or the quality of cornerback similar to Diggs, would not be available at Pick 82.

New Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy wanted to get bigger in the middle of the defensive line this offseason. They have done that with the free agency additions of Gerald McCoy and Dontari Poe and then again on Friday night by picking Gallimore, who sees himself as a high-effort player that’s disruptive in both the passing and running game. “Whatever you need, whatever you want from me, I will do that and I’ll do it to the best of my abilities,” Gallimore said. “How I describe myself is an unfinished product. My ceiling is so high, and I know that. Just because of how late the game came to me … I know that the best football hasn’t come out of me yet. But it’s coming, and it’s coming soon.”

So where do the Cowboys go from here? What is the goal for Day 3?

“Who knows what the order is going to be, but I must say, if I knew we were going to come out of here with a back-end player on defense, a front player on defense and a receiver, with our first three picks, that would be hard to have a problem with,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “So from here on out, you just stick with your board. This is when the board comes in more than ever. These scouts have done so much work on the back end of this draft.

“We have some players up there that have some special qualities, some special traits, that if they are sitting there, they are certainly going to have our attention. But now that we have really taken care of some things we wanted to get done with these first three picks, I think we just cut and shoot, and I think it’s going to be even easier now with what we got done with these first three picks. We are going to be able to really stay true to where we invest all our money, which is our board.”

The Cowboys have four picks remaining: one in the fourth round (123 overall), two in the fifth (164 and 179) and one in the seventh (231). The biggest need remains edge rusher, followed by safety and then linebacker. Offensively, tight end could be addressed and there’s always room for offensive line depth and possibly some competition at backup quarterback.

“My priority is going to be really getting back to that board and trusting it,” McCarthy said. “There’s some positions that you’re obviously looking at and you look at the numbers, but the board has really fallen favorably for us and I think we’ll just continue to trust the board.” Here are 20 players still available that make some sense for the Cowboys:

Curtis Weaver, edge, Boise State

Bradlee Anae, edge, Utah

Khalid Kareem, edge, Notre Dame

Trevis Gipson, edge, Tulsa

Jonathan Garvin, edge, Miami

D.J. Wonnum, edge, South Carolina

Alton Robinson, edge, Syracuse

Derrek Tuszka, edge, North Dakota State

Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB, Appalachian State

Shaquille Quarterman, LB, Miami

Geno Stone, S, Iowa

J.R. Reid, S, Georgia

Josh Metellus, S, Michigan

Harrison Bryant, TE, Florida Atlantic

Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri

Hunter Bryant, TE, Washington

Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia

Reggie Robinson, CB, Tulsa

Troy Pride Jr., CB, Notre Dame

James Morgan, QB, FIU

• Like 1

Still two really good tight ends and Amik Robertson on the board. I know we already went CB but if you are taking best available most mock drafts had him as a late second round/early third round talent. 

Denver just drafted one of the tight ends. Curious considering who they already have. Their offensive line is a train wreck still. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Still two really good tight ends and Amik Robertson on the board. I know we already went CB but if you are taking best available most mock drafts had him as a late second round/early third round talent. 

Yea, I like him and can never have too many Corners.  Also, Diggs played some safety as has Chido.  Just thinking nickel or dime....

Wouldn't mind if they took OT, Adams, either.  We need some fresh OT talent.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Weaver is still there too at edge. Lots of people thought that could be the pick at 51. Definitely gone by 82.

I have no issue with either of the top corners, weaver, or a OL.

I like Anae's profile more than Weaver but wouldn't be mad at either.  I like Robertson, Anae, or the big OT at this stage...

• Like 1

I like Anae's profile more than Weaver but wouldn't be mad at either.  I like Robertson, Anae, or the big OT at this stage...  

I mean yeah at this point it’s just whoever they like more at DE. Either guy will work. Just who do they have higher?

And Bryce Hall is still here too(injury issues I think). Was supposed to be a Day 2 pick.

Robertson the CB is probably the best player left that they’d be Interested in.

They took Robinson, CB from Tulsa.

Dane Brugler has him as a top 100 guy. Once again the cowboys get a player that was rated much higher.

They should be good at CB now. I know safety is still a concern but I think woods in his 3rd year and HaHa will be fine.

Really liking this draft.

Not exactly a value pick. 

Depends on where you look. Check social media. Most of the guys like Dane Brugler and John owning and Jonah Tuhl all had him as a top 100 player.

ESPN and PFF has him much lower.

It’s a value pick based on who you want to believe. Or it’s not if you believe the other.

Simply he’s a Ball Hawk and amazing athlete, and a good special teams player with a blocked kick/punt in each of the last 3 seasons. I can definitely see why they took him.

He is a bit of a project at CB and maybe a potential safety, But he had 4 of Tulsas 5 total interceptions last year. That along give me some hope.

• Like 1