Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

44 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I expect the Cowboys to do what they always do. Take it til the absolute deadline and end up totally giving in like they did with Dez, Lawrence, and Zeke. Stephen isn't any good at this. The only mitigating force is the Rona which may cause them to suspend things and just stick with the tag. Only to restart the dance next year where they'll ultimately give in to, albeit under a little more financial certainty.  

I’ll agree with you if they can figure out something before Watson gets his $38-$40mil a year. If Watson gets paid before Dak (which could absolutely happen), I think it resets all contract talks and all bets are off.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’ll agree with you if they can figure out something before Watson gets his $38-$40mil a year. If Watson gets paid before Dak (which could absolutely happen), I think it resets all contract talks and all bets are off.

I hope not.  Hope Dak gets done first.  I've always been in the "he next up so he gets to reset the market" camp, but even I think 40 mil, at least the uncertainty of the Salary Cap numbers next year with the Rona, is probably not a great idea.  I don't think it's good for Watson either.  Mahomes maybe, but even the Chiefs should be leery until things are more secure.

11 minutes ago, Drew said:

I hope not.  Hope Dak gets done first.  I've always been in the "he next up so he gets to reset the market" camp, but even I think 40 mil, at least the uncertainty of the Salary Cap numbers next year with the Rona, is probably not a great idea.  I don't think it's good for Watson either.  Mahomes maybe, but even the Chiefs should be leery until things are more secure.

Considering everything Watson already has going against him now and throughout the first 3 years of his contract (ie no running game, no offensive line, no TE, no consistently healthy #2 wr, hell...BoB the coach and the GM) that’s a guy that absolutely deserves it if there’s any young qb besides mahomes that deserves it. He’s carried that team to the playoffs every year he’s been in the league. He consistently makes game winning plays.

There are a handful of qbs that you can count on to consistently put the team on their back on a week to week basis, and he’s 1 of the 2 in the league under the age of 25. They were up 24-0 on the champs in the division round with a roster that isn’t even half as good as ours. That’s a guy that’s listening to the rumors of Dak’s contract and him and his agent are thinking “well if they’re asking for this we need $38-$40mil a year”, and i think the Texans would be dumb not to do it.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

You do know he's not lead them to playoffs every year he's been the league right?  And you want to talk about a bad division like the NFC East, that division hasn't been all that great either.

BTW I'm NOT saying he shouldn't be paid at all, or not paid more than Dak.  I've been clear that I think both he, and Mahomes will reset the market AFTER Dak signs.  

He’s led them to the playoffs every year he’s been the starting QB except his first year when he only played 4 or 5 games before tearing his ACL. I’d take DeShaun over Dak every single fucking day from now until the end of time. You put Dak on the Texans team during DeShaun’s career and it’s doubtful they make the playoffs let alone win some playoff games.

16 minutes ago, Drew said:

You do know he's not lead them to playoffs every year he's been the league right?  And you want to talk about a bad division like the NFC East, that division hasn't been all that great either.

BTW I'm NOT saying he shouldn't be paid at all, or not paid more than Dak.  I've been clear that I think both he, and Mahomes will reset the market AFTER Dak signs.  

Oh, my bad. I forgot about 2017 where he tore his ACL in week 8 after putting on arguably the best performance any player put on all season against the Seahawks. Every other year he’s lead them to the playoffs, and he was well on his way to doing it again that year.

And we aren’t really going to have a dick measuring contest with the AFC south when we went 1-3 against the AFC east last year and 1-3 against the AFC south 2 years ago, are we? The NFC east has had two teams picking in the top 5 for back to back years lol. Safe to say it’s the worst division in football. The afc south is a lot better right now and for the last few years. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Jesus Christ, I knew what you were going to and should have just ignored it like I do futureman.  I didn't think you were as bad as him, but damn...

wasn't getting into a "dick measuring" contest at all.  You deliberately took my post about no one really deserving 40 mil, and tried to turn it into a "Well Watson did this and this and this" knowing damned well you were basically trying to bash Dak's accomplishments in the process.

I didn't say the AFC South was worst or even as bad.  I said it hasn't been "all that great".  

You took a post where I was actually on YOUR side about the craziness these contracts were about to become...and you still had to make it about Dak and me.  Once again you want to spend all your time getting your panties in a wad, instead of actually taking what I say at face value.

Edited by Drew

14 minutes ago, Drew said:

Jesus Christ, I knew what you were going to and should have just ignored it like I do futureman.  I didn't think you were as bad as him, but damn...

wasn't getting into a "dick measuring" contest at all.  You deliberately took my post about no one really deserving 40 mil, and tried to turn it into a "Well Watson did this and this and this" knowing damned well you were basically trying to bash Dak's accomplishments in the process.

I didn't say the AFC South was worst or even as bad.  I said it hasn't been "all that great".  

You took a post where I was actually on YOUR side about the craziness these contracts were about to become...and you still had to make it about Dak and me.  Once again you want to spend all your time getting your panties in a wad, instead of actually taking what I say at face value.

Correcting and replying to your post in a respectful way, but disagreeing, is getting my panties in a wad lol? Got it, Drew. I never said I didn’t agree with some what you said. I simply responded to the stuff that you said that I disagreed with. Did i rant. Sure. But I do that. Relax. Plus i never even referenced you when I mentioned Dak’s name lol. I see why you put that together based on how i worded my post (and the fact that it was a direct reply to your post), but I think you took the context of my post the wrong way. I was speaking in general.

Anyway, my point still stands. No chance it gets done if Watson’s gets done. And really, with Covid, probably no chance it gets done before July 15th regardless

Edited by youdunnf'dup

So you admit to ranting(which is getting your panties in a wad) and say that wasn't the case?  I thought I was also being very respectful with my first response or so.  The last one was a bit harsher than even I wanted to do, so that's my bad.

My point was I tried really hard NOT to start any shit with you.  As a matter of fact I didn't mention Dak at all except to say I HOPE that Dak doesn't wait till after Watson gets done.  

There's no need to get into a Dak pissing match again as I feel like I've put on ignore all the idiots that can't be reasonable about it.  

17 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I want us to trade Dak just so this god damn moronic back and forth on this thread will stop. 

That would probably just move the bickering to some other topic.  Trolls are going to troll.  Can we trade half of the fan base instead?

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

I want us to trade Dak just so this god damn moronic back and forth on this thread will stop. 

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

The Dak debate doesn't bother me, because ( if we ever have games again) the proof is coming...

The thing is, I don’t know if the proof REALLY is coming before next offseason. What if Dak has another season like he had last year where 20 of his 33 tds come against bottom 10 pass defenses, we don’t have a single win in a game where we trailed at halftime (like last year), we don’t win a single one score game (like last year), and we finish 8-8 again? BUT, we have a top 5 offense according to the numbers and Dak puts up a similar season stat line to last year. 

That HAS be one of the talking points in these contract negotiations if they’re talking about last year. Dak and his team feel like he leveled up and is one of elite QBs purely based on the numbers from last year and his win loss record from the previous years (which is funny because the win loss record was the ace up his sleeve in these negotiations before last year and now we aren’t supposed to look at the win loss record from last year...because it wasn’t his fault...). And the Jones family knows a lot of those stats are hollow as shit because we saw how the season played out. 

I watched every Cowboy game in Dak's career.  I have watched almost all of Patrick Mahomes II's games in the NFL and college. I watched every bit of Lamar Jackson I could find last season.  We know what Russell Wilson can do with just about any cast of characters with the game on the line. Dak is NOT a playmaker/ game changer like the other 3.  IDGAF what the stats say.  He just isn't that guy.

Edited by Iceman

49 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I watched every Cowboy game in Dak's career.  I have watched almost all of Patrick Mahomes II's games in the NFL and college. I watched every bit of Lamar Jackson I could find last season.  We know what Russell Wilson can do with just about any cast of characters with the game on the line. Dak is NOT a playmaker/ game changer like the other 3.  IDGAF what the stats say.  He just isn't that guy.

Cool.  Now that we have that out of the way.

Here's shit that drives me fucking crazy.  Stupidity in special teams play which lead to us having one of the worst special teams unit in the NFL last year.

Dwayne Harris?  Our return games and ST overall has been lacking.  They should just take a touchback every available time.

• Like 1

I’m pretty jazzed about the defense. So there is that. Assuming we have a season. Figures that when LEBRON (not a fan of his fans) got the Lakers going, Brady finally leaves the Patriots, we’ve got a guy with a mustache in Gardner Minshew I actually respect, drama out the ass in Green Bay and maybe possibly we might have a season? Fuck this virus in the ass.  Edit: no moreJason Garrett and he is going to patrol the same pedantic 1990’s offense with the Giants. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Edit: no moreJason Garrett and he is going to patrol the same pedantic 1990’s offense with the Giants. 

except daniel jones is going to make jason garrett look like a genius.  unfortunately it’s going to take a few more years of the same exact bullshit for people to realize that dak is trash.  but the evidence is there already.  

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

except daniel jones is going to make jason garrett look like a genius.  unfortunately it’s going to take a few more years of the same exact bullshit for people to realize that dak is trash.  but the evidence is there already.  

Edited by Nicole44

14 minutes ago, futureman said:

I see.
and the same scheme of rotating TEs isn’t a tad prosaic? 
At least you don’t get your panties in a wad and get too emotional about it. Troll if you must but honestly as a Cowboys fan my whole life (Danny White took pics with me as a baby) I can honestly say This is a prove it year for all players on this team. All of them. 

On 5/13/2020 at 1:48 PM, Hate said:

He’s led them to the playoffs every year he’s been the starting QB except his first year when he only played 4 or 5 games before tearing his ACL. I’d take DeShaun over Dak every single fucking day from now until the end of time. You put Dak on the Texans team during DeShaun’s career and it’s doubtful they make the playoffs let alone win some playoff games.

And after all that shit, they both have the same amount of playoff wins. Neat.

Also, Deshaun added to Houston's great trademarks of blowing huge leads in the playoffs. What exactly did he do when his team was up 24-0? Zero. Imagine if Dak allowed his team to blow a 24pt playoff lead in a matter of 10minutes and proceed to lose by 20 or whatever it was. But let me guess, that was none of his fault, right? But every single loss is Dak's fault.

I love how the excuses work for everyone except Dak. At least stay consistent. Dak has played with shit ass defenses who do zero to help out. One of the worst preparation and in game coaching staffs in this league. So spare me the Bill O Brien excuse. He plays with Denadre Hopkins, which is better than anyone Dak has played with. Spare me that excuse. Quit making excuses for one guy and trying to paint the other guy as being in the perfect situation. You really think playing for Garrett and this team and this outdated offense is some advantage? 

Edited by Vic Mackey

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Also, Deshaun added to Houston's great trademarks of blowing huge leads in the playoffs. What exactly did he do when his team was up 24-0? Zero. Imagine if Dak allowed his team to blow a 24pt playoff lead in a matter of 10minutes and proceed to lose by 20 or whatever it was. But let me guess, that was none of his fault, right? But every single loss is Dak's fault.

I love how the excuses work for everyone except Dak. At least stay consistent. Dak has played with shit ass defenses who do zero to help out. One of the worst preparation and in game coaching staffs in this league. So spare me the Bill O Brien excuse. He plays with Denadre Hopkins, which is better than anyone Dak has played with. Spare me that excuse. Quit making excuses for one guy and trying to paint the other guy as being in the perfect situation. You really think playing for Garrett and this team and this outdated offense is some advantage? 

Say what you want about my opinion of Dak. If you can’t see how 32 nfl GMs would take Watson over Dak in a vacuum, then I honestly don’t know what to say. I bet you Dan Mullen would take Watson over Dak. It’s a conversation that isn’t even remotely worth having

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Romo too. Imagine if any of Romos teams ever blew a 24 point lead, in the playoffs especially. The same idiots would blame him (and truthfully, the QB does play some role in allowing the lead to disappear). But now we're acting like Watson is still the best evar and Dak isn't any good. For fuck sake, it'll never end unless and until we can ever win a SB. I want to win one not only for obvious reasons, but to stop this endless nonsense about the Cowboys QB, whoever it is, always being solely to blame for everything bad.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

I see.
and the same scheme of rotating TEs isn’t a tad prosaic? 
At least you don’t get your panties in a wad and get too emotional about it. Troll if you must but honestly as a Cowboys fan my whole life (Danny White took pics with me as a baby) I can honestly say This is a prove it year for all players on this team. All of them. 

Stop feeding the fucking troll. Seriously 

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Saw Swoopes shopping at Kroger off Lebanon & Legacy in Frisco.  Dude is huge.  Yelled out across the store:  "YO.....SWOOPES!  LOVE YA' MAN!" and threw him the horns!  He smiled ear to ear and threw them back!  Always liked the kid.  

Jesus Christ this is a stupid fucking post. Did you even watch that game? DeShaun doesn’t tackle and doesn’t play on defense. If that had been the Dak led Cowboys that shit the bed the way the Texans did, I would have pointed the finger at the same guilty parties, head coach and defense. Like was mentioned above, 32 out of 32 NFL GM’s would take DeShaun iver Dak...even Jerry wouldn’t be stupid enough to fuck that up.

51 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Romo too. Imagine if any of Romos teams ever blew a 24 point lead, in the playoffs especially. The same idiots would blame him (and truthfully, the QB does play some role in allowing the lead to disappear). But now we're acting like Watson is still the best evar and Dak isn't any good. For fuck sake, it'll never end unless and until we can ever win a SB. I want to win one not only for obvious reasons, but to stop this endless nonsense about the Cowboys QB, whoever it is, always being solely to blame for everything bad.

That is simply a byproduct of being qb for the Dallas Cowboys. Nobody that watched that game against the chiefs would say that Watson played poorly. He just happened to catch the greatest talent the position has ever seen while him and his defense were hot. 

But be reasonable, stache. You aren’t Vic. You aren’t REALLY comparing Dak’s situation with Watson’s, are you? I won’t go futureman level, but Dak isn’t in a position to ask for the contract he’s asking for if he played his entire career in Watson’s terrible situation. Let’s put it that way. He had Hopkins, but when you have a bottom 1/3 of the league oline, Lamar Miller as the best back you’ve ever had, no play maker at TE (not even late years witten level), and no consistently healthy #2 wr, it really is a miracle he’s had the career he’s had up until this point. Can you imagine the Texans front office having conversations about needing to make the offense DeShaun-friendly lol. When you have the talent that Watson has, drop him on any team in the league right now and he’s still that dude.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

I mean the worst part is idiots saying "They've seen every play of Daks career" and DESPITE Him making TONS of plays, still say stupid shit like "He can't make a play" or "He's never done anything".

You can say I'm biased all you fucking want...but opinions like that just prove that the anti Dak crowd is either fucking horrible at watching football(Iceman), or have backed themselves into a fucking corner so bad they can't come back and admit they're wrong at all(futureman, Hate, ect…).  Very few guys like Youdunn'fdup on here.

It's Just so fucking stupid.   Stop telling me this guy and that guy can make a play and Dak never has/never will. 

Lamar fucking Jackson and Mahomes aren't winning a damned MVP in Dallas under Garrett(although I think Mahomes is so good he'd overcome Garrett some).  Dak probably is winning or is At LEAST in the MVP discussion much more if he's playing under Reid or McVay or Pederson. 

That's the fucking difference for me.  You clowns are so sure that Dak Prescott, after 4 seasons, under horrible coaching(everyone agrees with that) in an antiquated, backwards ass offense is a completely finished product when we've seen him improve almost every season(except for a lull halfway through his 2nd season when the OL fell off a cliff, they lost Zeke, and NEVER adjusted for it).  They FINALLY let him air it out last season and we saw that he can lead a high powered offense.

And stop the BS that it's only against bad teams.  Guess who else ran up stats on bad teams their ENTIRE career?  Manning.  Brady.  Brees.  Rodgers, Aikmen, ect….

It's too early to say he can't do it against good teams, especially since he HAS(I mean we forgetting what he's done over his entire career, or just stuck on the TEAM not being about beat good teams last year?  Oh wait...that's JUST Dak)

I mean I don't mind logical discussions about Dak(like youdunn has even if we disagree).  Maybe he's not a Top 5 guy. Maybe he'll never win a SB. Maybe the Cowboys hit a wall with him.  That's all reasonable.

But don't come on this site and say shit like "He never makes plays, has never done shit, and won't ever do shit", after 4 season when he HAS done all of that at one point or another. It's so fucking dumb.

Edited by Drew
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Drew said:

I mean the worst part is idiots saying "They've seen every play of Daks career" and DESPITE Him making TONS of plays, still say stupid shit like "He can't make a play" or "He's never done anything".

It's absolutely relevant when people like yourself deem Dak worthy of elite QB pay.  It isn't stupid to say he is not the playmaker other QBs are in the league, because despite your abject denial, he is not.

nor should the Cowboys pay him at that level.  Miraculously, they offered him a generous contract.  he declined, which is his perogative...

But in no fucking realm or dimension has he demonstrated ability at thefucking level of compensation he is seeking.  Again, more power to him, but at a certain point he can't sit there and eat his cake...while recognizing what his real place is in the league's pecking order at the position*

* wild card is Jerry Jones just paying his ass, because Jerry is always ripe for an idiotic contract.  On that front, I can't say i blame Dak.

Full honesty-  you truly think Dak is in the level of those top 4-5 QBs and their ability to change games/ affect defenses?  If so, when does that ability start to be displayed on the field?

Just now, Iceman said:

Full honesty-  you truly think Dak is in the level of those top 4-5 QBs and their ability to change games/ affect defenses?  If so, when does that ability start to be displayed on the field?

drew is a coward, dude.  dak has had the last four seasons surrounded by elite talent and the best running game in the league and he simply cannot win.  bottom line, if he had won the games he should have, and not gotten his shit pushed in by trubisky and darnold, he would have his contract.  but he didn’t, so he doesn’t.  and the pussies like drew are left to apologize for him.  it’s so, so sad. 

On 5/14/2020 at 1:10 PM, futureman said:

You make Jason Garrett seem smart, tbh

• Like 1

The first 30 minutes or so is worth watching. Jesse Holley exposed even further Garrett for the fraud he was. Jesse has trashed Garrett for a long time. Completely does away with the narrative that the players loved playing for him and actually, the opposite. They knew he was phony and did not sell out every week for him. They did not buy into him at all as a leader of men, especially alpha males that are pro athletes. He tried so hard to tell everyone he is so smart at football and the smartest one in the room. Explains so much of the putrid Garrett era. All that shit was an act he put on. No one respected him and the only reason why anyone liked to play for him because he held no one accountable at all. Hell he'd clap for you even if you quit on the field. So glad that cancer is gone.

46 minutes ago, TornACL said:

All you had to do was watch that Amazon series from a couple of years ago. I don't even play for Garrett and by episode 2 I was sick to death of his fucking tired ass phrases. 

All or nothing made me actually like the person Jason Garrett, but hate the head coach Jason Garrett. He seems like he’s genuinely a good dude and I’m sure it’s a small part of the reason the Jones family had trouble letting him go. 

But god damn he is it fit to be an NFL head coach. He’s the type that should be in college so he could recruit. IMO, he has a lot of Mack Brown in him. He should settle in at some mediocre ACC school or Pac 12 school, be rewarded for finishing 7-5 or 8-4 (the college equivalent of 8-8 as far as I’m concerned lol)

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1