Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

NFC East Standings for the decade of 2010-2019. Only one competent team to deal with the entire decade and we still couldn't get to one single NFC title game. Clap clap clap

Eagles: 87-73-0
Cowboys: 86-74-0
Giants: 70-90-0
Skins: 62-97-1

JEIGZA5V4RJB574GVO5U7XOQJI.jpg

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/platform/amp/2020/7/12/21321347/cowboys-news-with-time-running-out-where-do-the-cowboys-stand-in-negotiations-with-dak-prescott 

three more days.  any hopes this franchise has for the next decade rest on not giving this no-talent, fraudulent pile of overrated greed a multi-year deal.  cross your fingers and pray nothing happens. 

Only the Cowboys, and the Redskins(err..whatever they're called now) could screw this up. 

Cowboys are going to fuck around and go 5 years without a Franchise QB again...like after Aikmen.  I mean we've been EXTREMELY lucky to go from Aikmen, a 5 year gap, then Romo then Dak.  If they fuck this up, and they probably will, since half this stupid fan base thinks Dak is a bum and will be happy to let a FRANCHISE QB walk for nothing, then we deserve to be shit on year after year forever more.

I mean great QB's just grow on trees...too bad we didn't draft Jameis or Mariota or whatever bum QB's have been first rounders lately(except for Mahomes and Watson...2 of the last 20.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I don't think Daks a bum but paying him $40+ million a season just leaves so little room to add talent around him. We just assume the cap will continue to go up even during a pandemic?

Not that I think the Cowboys franchise compares to SF/Baltimore but they are examples of teams that have moved on from a QB and had success again within a handful of years. 

Edited by Loch Ness Monster

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Only the Cowboys, and the Redskins(err..whatever they're called now) could screw this up. 

Cowboys are going to fuck around and go 5 years without a Franchise QB again...like after Aikmen.  I mean we've been EXTREMELY lucky to go from Aikmen, a 5 year gap, then Romo then Dak.  If they fuck this up, and they probably will, since half this stupid fan base thinks Dak is a bum and will be happy to let a FRANCHISE QB walk for nothing, then we deserve to be shit on year after year forever more.

I mean great QB's just grow on trees...too bad we didn't draft Jameis or Mariota or whatever bum QB's have been first rounders lately(except for Mahomes and Watson...2 of the last 20.

Do you communicate like a teenage girl in every aspect of your life? Passive aggressively lamenting how "we" should have done things differently, set up simple minded straw men and then refute arguments no one is making.

Is that how it sounds in your head when you're talking to yourself? 

• Like 1

It definitely matches up with the eye test for how he looked against good teams. Especially last year. 

I’m riding the fence hard on this one. I don’t think he’s worth that money at all, but there’s also a big part of me that feels like we have some bad karma karma coming our way for how we handled this. Dak bailed them out from looking completely incompetent for not preparing for life after Romo. They lucked out. He fell right in their lap after they tried to draft Paxton lynch and Connor cook...two guys who aren’t in the league anymore. Like, most good teams would be able to transition easily from losing a guy like Dak, but we’re probably going to fuck it up.

22 hours ago, Genco said:

Do you communicate like a teenage girl in every aspect of your life? Passive aggressively lamenting how "we" should have done things differently, set up simple minded straw men and then refute arguments no one is making.

Is that how it sounds in your head when you're talking to yourself? 

Weird to single me out with all the other trolls in this thread.

Guess you're new.

It is fair to have concern over Dak's turnovers vs playoff teams. It is also fair to consider that all of those teams knew the Cowboys' predictable un-changing pass routes better than Cowboys receivers did under Garrett and staff.

It's a new year. New regime. Major overhaul of the offensive scheme, Some key changes on OL, including a major loss, and a major addition at WR. Dak is playing with a one-year franchise deal. I'm holding judgement on Dak until at least I see how he performs with these new changes and surroundings. I'll worry about whether he's worth whatever money next year. Kinda silly to debate it at this particular juncture.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Td throws are in no way indicative of qb play. That metric is flawed from  the start. Like using wins to compare pitchers. 

disagree.  It's damned sure something of an indicator.   IT's not the end-all, be-all; but it fucking matters, especially when used as a ratio with INTs.

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

disagree.  It's damned sure something of an indicator.   IT's not the end-all, be-all; but it fucking matters, especially when used as a ratio with INTs.

You can throw an int just as easily at any point on the field. Throwing a td from 70 yards out or 5 yards in is difficult. 

you can score tds by rushing the ball, a team could conceivably never have a passing td all year and still be good. 

well thrown balls can be intercepted if they bounce off the hands of the receiver. 

it’s just not a good metric. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You can throw an int just as easily at any point on the field. Throwing a td from 70 yards out or 5 yards in is difficult. 

you can score tds by rushing the ball, a team could conceivably never have a passing td all year and still be good. 

These guys are all just meaty okra...

Leaders

Year Player TD Tm
2019 Lamar Jackson (22) 36 BAL
2018 Patrick Mahomes (22) 50 KAN
2017 Russell Wilson (28) 34 SEA
2016 Aaron Rodgers (32) 40 GNB
2015 Tom Brady (38) 36 NWE
2014 Andrew Luck (24) 40 IND
2013 Peyton Manning (37) 55 DEN
2012 Drew Brees (33) 43 NOR
2011 Drew Brees (32) 46 NOR
2010 Tom Brady (33) 36 NWE

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m not going to look- what percentage of the team’s tds do they have?  And dak?

you said it had no bearing on evaluating QB play.  Those guys are all MVPs and/ or HoFers( or will be) aside from Luck.

Again, I clarified that it isn't the end-all, be-all; but it's damned sure a relevant indicator.

39 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Lmao. I love these goofy ass convoluted "stats". It's the same shit ESPN does to prop up their golden boys except in reverse.

Dallas as a whole sucked shit against good teams. But the mouthbreathers will just blame Dak. And that's it. Our bottom of the barrel defense and special teams somehow gets a pass. Subpar OL play too often. WRs dropping easy passes. And this does not even mention one of the worst in game/preparation coaching staffs in the league, if not the worst.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lmao. I love these goofy ass convoluted "stats". It's the same shit ESPN does to prop up their golden boys except in reverse.

Dallas as a whole sucked shit against good teams. But the mouthbreathers will just blame Dak. And that's it. Our bottom of the barrel defense and special teams somehow gets a pass. Subpar OL play too often. WRs dropping easy passes. And this does not even mention one of the worst in game/preparation coaching staffs in the league, if not the worst.

You are literally the one that does it more than anyone in this thread if it’s something that helps your narrative. I could go through this thread and probably find 5-10 different post like it. I was simply playing devils advocate.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

38 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I've said the whole time I want to see Dak without the Ginger on the sideline.

That being said, the fanbois on here acting like he is top 5/ elite are off their fucking rockers.

31 minutes ago, DougO said:

Patrick Mahomes's TD pass season total dropped by nearly 50% last season, compared to the year before.

He is garbage. Cut him.

Meh.   Then there's a the 4 playoff wins, the first Chiefs SB win in 50 years,  and an ever-so-slightly  more discernible impact on his team's  offensive productivity/ defenses' ability to stop the Chiefs.  Then factor in the Andy Reid "I'll never call a sneak again with Mahomes" learning opportunity.

But yeah, Dak's (allegedly) OK with the TD production.

Edited by slorch

Seems like you’re right:

Actions speak louder than words, boys. They kept claiming that Dak was their guy, but the reality is he was only their guy if he was willing to give in a little bit. No qb that thinks he’s a true franchise qb is going to give in. Now we’re in the weird spot of either he plays really well and we definitely don’t sign him, or he regresses/gets hurt, and we continue to try to lowball him

3 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Cowboys offered Dak $33 million+ a season with $100 million guaranteed. 

If thats not good enough for the 10th best QB in the league we should seek to get rid of him in a year or two.

And if he’s smart and thinks he can stay healthy, it might be smarter for him to just take the Kirk cousins route and get all of the money as opposed to the security.

7 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

If thats not good enough for the 10th best QB in the league we should seek to get rid of him in a year or two.

Agreed.  Dak seems to want to bet on himself and cash in later.  May backfire.  He's a good starter but not the best in the league.

19 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Wentz and Goff who were both in the same draft class got more money 18 months ago. Just as a function of the time value of money he'd be dumb to take less than them.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

4 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Wentz and Goff who were both in the same draft class got more 18 months ago. Just as a function of the time value of money he'd be dumb to take less than them.  

I know the rumor was we offered $35-$$37mil. Where are you hearing he hasn’t been offered as much as Goff and Wentz, because everything I’ve heard (up until lochness monsters post) has indicated that we’ve offered more. We’ve offered him the amount of money he wants, and we probably feel like we’re getting fucked in the process. So they don’t want to give in on that year. I get it from both sides.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

I mean are the Cowboys just supposed to give Dak whatever he wants? Unless we hit homerun after homerun in the draft and get lucky- hard to imagine a scenario where we win a Super Bowl and he's making $42 million a season.

Even if Dak was a lock top 5 QB type- the teams that have a top paid QB haven't fared too well after their guy starts raking in all the dough.