Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I keep hearing Mike Zimmer’s name thrown around, like the Vikings are going to “part ways” with him so they can promote their OC (who’s name is escaping me). It won’t happen, but I’d love that. 

Everything I've seen on this would indicate it would take trading draft picks.  Vikings aren't looking to part ways with Zimmer in the sense that they're getting rid of him no matter what to promote their OC from within.  It's more like, they would if they could get the right deal.

83927ce52881168fbef96b88c7236f46.jpg

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Everything I've seen on this would indicate it would take trading draft picks.  Vikings aren't looking to part ways with Zimmer in the sense that they're getting rid of him no matter what to promote their OC from within.  It's more like, they would if they could get the right deal.

83927ce52881168fbef96b88c7236f46.jpg

Well if Minnesota has any brains at all, that should absolutely be their public position until Dallas decides on its hire. 

Why not try to get some picks as a bonus if you wanted to get rid of him anyway. 

9 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Well if Minnesota has any brains at all, that should absolutely be their public position until Dallas decides on its hire. 

Why not try to get some picks as a bonus if you wanted to get rid of him anyway. 

Well, yeah I'm sure that's how Minnesota would play it.  I'm just saying the Cowboys shouldn't be trading any draft picks for it.  Not for Mike Zimmer.  Which means they probably will.

Another one of the jackasses on the 8am round table said they need to keep Moore, because that offense "was great".

Wrong. That offense had great players who put up good numbers, often in trash time against one of the weakest schedules in the league, but that offense failed miserably when the chips were down. All fucking season long.

• Like 2

Does Jones think Garrett is this big of a pussy?  If I'm Garrett, I'm saying "look Jerry if you need to fire me go ahead and do it so I can move on."  If Jones wants Garrett around then Garrett should just say, I'll stay around as head coach but I don't want some stupid title.

on second thought, maybe Garrett IS that big of a pussy and know he sucks as a coach....

Can you see fucking Bill Parcells, Sean Payton, Kyle Shanahan, Andy Reid, or any other coach who believes in himself allowing himself to twist in the wind like this.

Its like Jerry is mourning a lost parent or child.  fuck dude, this is business you redneck shithead get on with it.

Dan Mullen definitely just on the radar because of Dak.
If the choice is between Urban and Lincoln give me Lincoln.

I’m not convinced Urban would be worth a shit in the NFL. I think Riley would be a better option. I think Matt Rhule would be best the college option.

29 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Does Jones think Garrett is this big of a pussy?  If I'm Garrett, I'm saying "look Jerry if you need to fire me go ahead and do it so I can move on."  If Jones wants Garrett around then Garrett should just say, I'll stay around as head coach but I don't want some stupid title.

on second thought, maybe Garrett IS that big of a pussy and know he sucks as a coach....

Can you see fucking Bill Parcells, Sean Payton, Kyle Shanahan, Andy Reid, or any other coach who believes in himself allowing himself to twist in the wind like this.

Its like Jerry is mourning a lost parent or child.  fuck dude, this is business you redneck shithead get on with it.

Garrett isn't under contract anymore. I know it technically ends in 11 days but in reality that doesn't stop him from agreeing to another job now. Without a new contract Garrett should have been out interviewing for other jobs right away starting Monday. The fact he's hanging around the cowboys compound acting like a bitch tells me he doesn't believe anyone will hire him. The fact Jerry just keeps fucking around for a solid week plus of this tells me every big name Jerry tries to get is telling him to fuck off. 

This will be either a lesser regarded college coach or a desperate NFL assistant/retread that agrees to take this shit job working as a known puppet to a moron. 

4 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Garrett isn't under contract anymore. I know it technically ends in 11 days but in reality that doesn't stop him from agreeing to another job now. Without a new contract Garrett should have been out interviewing for other jobs right away starting Monday. The fact he's hanging around the cowboys compound acting like a bitch tells me he doesn't believe anyone will hire him. The fact Jerry just keeps fucking around for a solid week plus of this tells me every big name Jerry tries to get is telling him to fuck off. 

This will be either a lesser regarded college coach or a desperate NFL assistant/retread that agrees to take this shit job working as a known puppet to a moron. 

Chan Gailey, Jeff Fisher, Brian Billick, etc.   

54 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I’m not convinced Urban would be worth a shit in the NFL. I think Riley would be a better option. I think Matt Rhule would be best the college option.

Why do people think Riley would be a good NFL coach? He is really good at calling plays in college football, especially with Heisman QBs, stout OL, and excellent WRs. The defenses are a lot better in the NFL. Again, what exactly is this speculation based on? I asked the same question earlier about Rhule. At least he spent a season or so as an NFL assistant somewhere. I think Meyer has a swagger that would work in the NFL, but again, it's total speculation. Saban failed and Carrol succeeded. Who fucking knows how a good colllege coach will fare in the NFL.

Edited by 'stache

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Why do people think Riley would be a good NFL coach? He is really good at calling plays in college football, especially with Heisman QBs, stout OL, and excellent WRs. The defenses are a lot better in the NFL. Again, what exactly is this speculation based on? I asked the same question earlier about Rhule. At least he spent a season or so as an NFL assistant somewhere.

I think the argument is that if we are going to pay Dak, Riley has proven he can scheme and develop qbs with similar skill sets. 

8 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Don't think Urban's ticker can take the rigmarole of the NFL. 

Doesn't have to recruit year around, and Jerry will do the heavy lifting. He could do nothing but clap and keep the job for a decade. Hopefully he would at least do a little more on the sideline. It might be a perfect fit actually, since Jerry is going to be stubborn and keep living. Just win baby.

36 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I think the argument is that if we are going to pay Dak, Riley has proven he can scheme and develop qbs with similar skill sets. 

This is the answer, for sure. Dak has a better overall skill set than Baker, and he definitely has his head on straight a lot more. Not saying I think it would work because I think Dak kinda is what he is, but there’s certainly an argument that he hasn’t gotten the coaching he needs to squeeze the most out of his talent. I think Riley could do that. 

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

Agree.  No other org wants Garrett.  No decent coach wants to deal with skeletor. 

They're made for each other. A match made in hell for Cowboys fans. 

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Why do people think Riley would be a good NFL coach? He is really good at calling plays in college football, especially with Heisman QBs, stout OL, and excellent WRs. The defenses are a lot better in the NFL. Again, what exactly is this speculation based on? I asked the same question earlier about Rhule. At least he spent a season or so as an NFL assistant somewhere. I think Meyer has a swagger that would work in the NFL, but again, it's total speculation. Saban failed and Carrol succeeded. Who fucking knows how a good colllege coach will fare in the NFL.

I'm not convinced Riley will be a good NFL coach. Make no mistake. I think Urban to the NFL could be a disaster. He's never spent a single day in the NFL. Riley appears to be good at schemes and what-not. What is Urban best at? Program building and recruiting. Of the three, I think Rhule is the best football coach and most likely to succeed in the NFL. Pete Carroll is the exception, not the rule -- and remember he came to CFB from the NFL.

55 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Don't think Urban's ticker can take the rigmarole of the NFL. 

At Florida and Ohio State he only had to sweat 2-3 games per year. It would be a weekly occurrence in the NFL.

26 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

This is the answer, for sure. Dak has a better overall skill set than Baker, and he definitely has his head on straight a lot more. Not saying I think it would work because I think Dak kinda is what he is, but there’s certainly an argument that he hasn’t gotten the coaching he needs to squeeze the most out of his talent. I think Riley could do that. 

My point still is that he succeeds at OU where he has superior talent to pretty much every opponent he faces and has shown that it's not all that effective when the talent gap closes (i.e., in the playoff). I also would hope he realizes that Dak can actually throw the ball, and not treat him like Jalen Hurts, who isn't all that good at throwing.

29 minutes ago, 'stache said:

My point still is that he succeeds at OU where he has superior talent to pretty much every opponent he faces and has shown that it's not all that effective when the talent gap closes (i.e., in the playoff). I also would hope he realizes that Dak can actually throw the ball, and not treat him like Jalen Hurts, who isn't all that good at throwing.

Exactly. OU plays how many games a year where they don't have superior talent? Hardly any at all. And when they do face a team who has equal or more, Lincoln's offenses look shitty. And they fold quick. How great is Lincoln at scheming really? Doesn't take any real scheming to just out talent the other team every week. I look at how OU plays when the other defense has speed and talent. Something that will be on every single NFL team. You don't just go out there and out talent other teams in the NFL like in college. The margin is very slim in terms of talent from one team to the other. Exactly how the NFL likes it. How will Lincoln fare when every single defense has speed and talent and is the best of the best from college? His QBs won't have receivers running wide open every other play for easy gains.

The talent differential in college ball makes it very difficult to truly evaluate a head coach's abilities. He might be smart as hell, but the move to the NFL is a painful one. We don't need someone to call time outs, we need an offensive genius who already knows what works and what doesn't work in the NFL. And there aren't many of those around.

Riley had a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. If he's so damn smart, why couldn't he and his DC come up with some twists to slow down LSU? The Tigers destroyed the Sooners.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

The talent differential in college ball makes it very difficult to truly evaluate a head coach's abilities. He might be smart as hell, but the move to the NFL is a painful one. We don't need someone to call time outs, we need an offensive genius who already knows what works and what doesn't work in the NFL. And there aren't many of those around.

Riley had a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. If he's so damn smart, why couldn't he and his DC come up with some twists to slow down LSU? The Tigers destroyed the Sooners.

Yep. The best way to judge a college coach is how do they fare when they face teams on equal footing? Oklahoma dating back to Stoops does not fare well. Their offenses look like juggernauts against weak Big 12 defenses but come time to play in big bowl games, they fold. Does that mean Lincoln would suck in the NFL? Not necessarily but it makes me nervous. And this idea that he is some mastermind offensive genius does not seem true to me. Exactly what is he doing that is so genius?

Urban has at least proved his teams can compete and win when it faces other great teams. He's did it at three different spots, one being fucking Utah. I'd take him over Lincoln or Rhule in a heartbeat if we are going the college route. 

Some people think we already have Lincoln lined up and this is why we are in no hurry to get rid of Jason and want the landing to be as soft as can be for him. One of the reasons people think this is because of a decommit of a 5 star QB who said he would never decommit unless Lincoln would not be there next season. Did he call him up and let him know? Who knows. Sure it has already been discussed but I have tired head of keeping up with this. I'm honestly at the point to stop giving a fuck. Jerry will always be Jerry and it will always be a circus first and results on the field second or even third.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

At Florida and Ohio State he only had to sweat 2-3 games per year. It would be a weekly occurrence in the NFL.

Not that it changes the point, but I always though Urban's downfall was that he was a perfectionist and sweated everything about every game, no matter the opponent. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who spent a little extra time on the golf course during Rutgers week.

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Riley has a lot of the same talents and attributes that Moore does except he's way ahead of the curve with him in terms of experience, play calling, and building offenses catering to strengths of his QB within his preferred scheme.  Riley is considered intellectual and sharp in a savant type way.  He has succeeded in improving the offense at every stop and has coached different types of QBs, from more of a dual threat runners with Hurts and Murray to more traditional throwers like Harrell and Carden.  It's easy to say, yea, he's had first round talents during his tenure, but Baker wasn't considered a NFL product until he started working with Riley.  Murray had failed at aggy.  He has position coaching experience (WRs), coordinating experience (OC at East Carolina and OU) and head coaching experience and done well everywhere.  Does that mean he'll succeed?  No idea.  But he's very creative schematically and has shown the ability to win with different styles of QBs, something his mentor, Leach, could never really do.

Not sure how we quantify swagger, BTW.  Urban's main advantage the last decade has been recruiting, and sometimes bending the rules to get that advantage.  That doesn't really exist in the NFL.  I'd like for us to interview Eberflus, Riley, Saleh, Toub, and maybe McDaniels if we could get an interview (don't think we can).

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Because fuck ou and ou sucks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

They actually didn't have a lot of talent on defense. Which became pretty obvious.