Luka Doncic

Goo Punch

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 1:51 PM, gsoda3 said:

i see.  you probably don't remember because it didn't happen.  not like what's going on with luka anyway.  dirk for years was labelled "soft" but that was because he didn't play like a 7 footer was expected to play.  he didn't take the ball inside much.  didn't even post up as much as people (me included) wanted him to.  certainly didn't dive to the hole the way luka does.  

he DID start getting fouled more in 05, 06 when they figured you could take away his lower half of the body.  but it wasn't a physicality intended to intimidate him as much as it was taking him away from his favorite spots on the floor or allowing him to make his first dribble move.  

you have to also factor in dirk was always a very good FT shooter so any fouls committed were a losing proposition.

Actually it happened quite frequently.   You don’t remember Lebron and DWade plunking Dirk and making fun of him for being sick during the Finals in ‘11?  Only to watch Dirk overcome and hoist the trophy? 

• Like 1

Not in general they don't.  But what you have is over the top Mavs/Luka fans that like to still rib the ATL fans about passing up someone who looks like he'll be an all time great early in his career.

And you'll have ATL fans who think not only is Trae Young just as good as Luka, but that he's BETTER, I mean just look at his PPG and APG, that's obviously proof that Trae is better.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Not in general they don't.  But what you have is over the top Mavs/Luka fans that like to still rib the ATL fans about passing up someone who looks like he'll be an all time great early in his career.

And you'll have ATL fans who think not only is Trae Young just as good as Luka, but that he's BETTER, I mean just look at his PPG and APG, that's obviously proof that Trae is better.

Do ATL fans really think that? Yikes.

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Do ATL fans really think that? Yikes.

I'm sure it's a small, but very vocal minority of people on social media.  But basically you can't say anything about Luka online without at least 1 or 2 trae stans trashing him or saying Trae is better.

Same happens for Trae Young with some Mavs fans.

On 2/15/2020 at 8:50 AM, Trey3216 said:

Actually it happened quite frequently.   You don’t remember Lebron and DWade plunking Dirk and making fun of him for being sick during the Finals in ‘11?  Only to watch Dirk overcome and hoist the trophy? 

that's not what the original post was talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

Dammit Derka.  He's "not better than Dirk" until he's been in the league at least several years and probably has a title or 2.  At the end of his career he has a good chance of being better than dirk.

But you're not going to get anyone to say he's better than Dirk right now.

• Like 1

Hard to compare the Dirk and Luka b/c different positions and different eras. Dirk playing the small ball 5 out era his whole career? MF might have had another 5k points. One of the few things late Mack Brown said that I thought was astute was something along the lines of "Greatness is being good consistently rather than being spectacular sporadically." Dirk was consistently good for a very long time and only time will allow Luka to match that. But if you want me to choose one for a pickup game between 2020 Luka and 2005 Dirk, I'm taking Luka.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Llogg said:

Hard to compare the Dirk and Luka b/c different positions and different eras. Dirk playing the small ball 5 out era his whole career? MF might have had another 5k points. One of the few things late Mack Brown said that I thought was astute was something along the lines of "Greatness is being good consistently rather than being spectacular sporadically." Dirk was consistently good for a very long time and only time will allow Luka to match that. But if you want me to choose one for a pickup game between 2020 Luka and 2005 Dirk, I'm taking Luka.

Kevin Durant is similar. When he did all the pods with Simmons he talked a lot about not caring how many points he scored in a game. He wanted to be the guy that scores 30 every night 

languid is how i would describe it. Mavs fans won't like hearing this but it reminds me of D Wade. he can lull you to sleep with how calm he moves, and then bam, he makes one move and you're toast. of course it helps when they have to respect everything from your step-back 25 footer to your dribble drive to your pull up game. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

so uh, are we allowed to say that he's better than Dirk yet, or is the jury still out?

Better than Dirk? He did it for a few decades and carried an underdog team to a NBA title and you want to say a 2nd year player is better? Tap the brakes. You want to say is Luka ahead of Dirk in his 2nd year than Dirk was his 2nd year? Or will Luka in the end be better than Dirk?

But to say Luka right now is already better than Dirk was at his peak is ludicrous. Don't get caught up in the moment when judging a 2 decade career to a less than 2 year career.

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Better than Dirk? He did it for a few decades and carried an underdog team to a NBA title and you want to say a 2nd year player is better? Tap the brakes. You want to say is Luka ahead of Dirk in his 2nd year than Dirk was his 2nd year? Or will Luka in the end be better than Dirk?

But to say Luka right now is already better than Dirk was at his peak is ludicrous. Don't get caught up in the moment when judging a 2 decade career to a less than 2 year career.

Luka is better than Dirk and it's not even remotely close. The difference is laughable, and "longevity!!!!" is not a legit argument in Dirk's favor. Doncic is already superior to Dirk in nearly every facet of the game. This argument is so tired and stupid by now, it would be like screaming and getting upset at anyone who said in 1999 that Randy Moss was better than Steve Largent or Art Monk; it's not even remotely close. Maybe Luka has a Livingston type injury tomorrow and never plays again; doesn't change the fact that today he is better at playing basketball than Dirk ever was, and it is not even a little bit close. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2007: Whoa whoa whoa, let's tap the breaks on saying that Kevin Durant is better than Terrence Rencher; Rencher was here for four years, KD just got here!!!

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29txqoitpetdjr0g1pu2

god i hate it when people bring up longevity in a comparison of player talent and ability. as if everything Luka has done might be fool's gold; like maybe he starts sucking never heat and never recovers. you're confusing "greater" with "better". stahp. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This guy is another level.  Legit potential for top 5 all time.  Not much to say, I’m no fanboy but I’ll recognize greatness...

i agree. that's what i was thinking earlier- i was wondering where Dirk would rank among the best players in the league during his peak; and even during his MVP season i really don't see an argument that he was ever the best player in the league. Luka is still a baby who is playing in an era where still-young stars like Giannis, Jokic, Embiid, KAT, Zion, Ja, etc all play, along with no shortage of all-time greats like LBJ, KD, CP3, Harden etc who are still active, and yet Luka appears to be a guy who will be a top 3 player in the league for the next decade+. Luka is in a different stratosphere than Dirk ever was, and nobody who isn't from DFW would say otherwise. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i agree. that's what i was thinking earlier- i was wondering where Dirk would rank among the best players in the league during his peak; and even during his MVP season i really don't see an argument that he was ever the best player in the league. Luka is still a baby who is playing in an era where still-young stars like Giannis, Jokic, Embiid, KAT, Zion, Ja, etc all play, along with no shortage of all-time greats like LBJ, KD, CP3, Harden etc who are still active, and yet Luka appears to be a guy who will be a top 3 player in the league for the next decade+. Luka is in a different stratosphere than Dirk ever was, and nobody who isn't from DFW would say otherwise. 

Dwight Gooden was the best pitcher I’ve ever seen.  Doing great things over a period of time matters.

11 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Dwight Gooden was the best pitcher I’ve ever seen.  Doing great things over a period of time matters.

no, no it doesn't. not in this discussion. unless of course you think that Bartolo Colon and  Tim Hudson were better pitchers than Sandy Koufax and Doc Golden, in which case at least you're consistent. 

• Fuck You 1