Luka Doncic

Goo Punch

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Take 2020 Luka and 2011 Dirk to an NBA combine. None of the scouts or coaches or GM's has ever heard of either player. Run each guy through every drill and scenario possible. Now look at the scout's grades and poll the GM's on which guy they think is a better basketball player. Anyone here who thinks it wouldn't be *unanimous* in Luka's favor is higher than giraffe pussy. And anyone else who doesn't understand that this^^^ is the definition of "which one is a better basketball player" is on some whole other shit that I can't even explain. 

DeAndre Ayton must be the best player in the league then.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think part of the last 5 minute thing is Luka’s usage rate and conditioning. He’s in much better shape than last season but he’s Dribbling/passing/moving/orchestrating on every possession for the Mavs. Sometimes he just looks tired. Also DFS, Hardaway, Curry need to hit shots in crunch time. 

Edited by Firemans4Horn

9 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

DeAndre Ayton must be the best player in the league then.

except that we aren't talking about him, we're talking about two specific guys who we all know can/do play at a near-MVP level. there's no question about whether or not Luka's talent and skill translates- it does. the combine analogy was simply to illustrate that theres really no debate that Luka has more tangible basketball skills/fewer weaknesses than Dirk did, even at his peak. again, talent vs greatness.

On 8/11/2020 at 3:41 AM, shadow_operative said:

so many disingenuous hypotheticals/comparisons, you'd think everyone in here is derka. do you think that Trae Young is in the same class as Luka Doncic? of course you don't. and these lofty opinions on Doncic aren't even new- there were NBA people screaming that this was a generational talent when he was at Real Madrid, and guess what? He is. the biggest difference in Doncic and LeBron James is that LBJ was on TV for three years before jointing the league. Well that and athleticism, but even Magic and Bird pale in comparison to LBJ athletically. Doncic is a super elite talent- a Kobe, a LeBron, a Hakeem, a Duncan; I don't need to watch him play any more than I already have to see what's right in front of me. apparently you guys do. i don't. 

Don't go on Social Media.  There are literally people still screaming that Atlanta won that trade going away with the extra pick.  They already think Trae is "just as good as" Doncic if not flat better.

On 8/11/2020 at 8:39 AM, CBT said:

Dirk is the greatest player in the history of basketball. The question is when will Luka push him to number two. 

I no lies here.

On 8/11/2020 at 6:38 PM, threesheets said:

Lol. I'm the biggest Dirk fan on the planet and I see no need to join this stupid argument.  I win regardless. 

Same

On 8/11/2020 at 9:38 PM, shadow_operative said:

Take 2020 Luka and 2011 Dirk to an NBA combine. None of the scouts or coaches or GM's has ever heard of either player. Run each guy through every drill and scenario possible. Now look at the scout's grades and poll the GM's on which guy they think is a better basketball player. Anyone here who thinks it wouldn't be *unanimous* in Luka's favor is higher than giraffe pussy. And anyone else who doesn't understand that this^^^ is the definition of "which one is a better basketball player" is on some whole other shit that I can't even explain. 

Cool.  Do the same thing with Luka and Bird AND Magic.  Do the same with Jordan and Kobe.

On 8/11/2020 at 9:43 PM, conVINCEd said:

Another way to phrase that would be: at this point in their respective careers Luka is ahead of Dirk. If Luka continues on the path that most expect him to, he will probably end up being considered a better player than Dirk, but that is not a given because Dirk was one of the handful of great players in the NBA for a 10-15 year span.  As a diehard Mavs fan, who was one of those kids who sat under the basket and wiped the sweat off the floor with a broom for a year back when the nba still allowed kids to do that,  and whose family has had season tickets since the Mavs first season,  I assure you that I am more invested in Luka’s success than you are, and I look forward to watching him do what most of us think he will.  But he has to actually do it.

Exactly.

On 8/11/2020 at 10:53 PM, aggie08 said:

Also note that I haven't even said the SLIGHTEST thing negative and about Luka. I've been sold on him from the beginning. I'm just pointing out that the NBA is a grown ass man's league, and it's pretty rare for the young guys to instantly translate regular season accolades into postseason success. Experience means something. Anyone who saw LeBron's first couple of seasons knew instantly that he was going to be the best player in the league in short order...he still wasn't better than Tim Duncan at the time.

That said, in LeBron's 21 year-old season (his 3rd season and first playoffs), he went 31, 8, and 6 on 48% shooting through two rounds and took the Pistons to 7. So the precedent is there.

So do we count Luka has year 2 for Lebron comparisons(as we should) or year 3?

And I'm sorry, 2007 Eastern playoffs is a joke.  It was the Celtics and NOTHING else.  The Pistons were already in there decline there.  Dallas in the East this year would be 4 or 5 and probably go to 6 in the 2nd round too.  

The Mavs might win a game in this series.  2 if things go their way.  And I'm perfectly fine with that.  Give them this massive test now.  Learn how tough it is and how to win NOW instead of later.

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

the thing that makes this extra impressive is that he's doing this as the leader of a 7 seed against a team with two perennial All-Defense members guarding him. 

I’ve very rarely seen with PG or Kawhi on him. They usually get switched off on screens. I have seen Patrick Beverly try to guard him and get abused. For some reason, they allowed Shamet to guard him without help. 

6 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I’ve very rarely seen with PG or Kawhi on him. They usually get switched off on screens. I have seen Patrick Beverly try to guard him and get abused. For some reason, they allowed Shamet to guard him without help. 

probably because shamet could afford to take those fouls. 

4 hours ago, Kermit said:

That's what makes him such a problem.  He hunts the mismatch to PnR them to get what he wants.

Zach lowe called him the pre-eminent non-Lebron problem solver in the NBA.  I agree.

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Dirk fucking shits all over Luka when it comes to free throws. If you are going to try and draw fouls like Luka, make your fucking free throws.

Luka's not quite there in terms of bucket-getting, either. Especially to close games. Not in the playoffs against elite D at least.

On 8/20/2020 at 3:19 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

Yes, he’s so good that if he stays healthy and wins a championship he’ll finish his career recognized as a better player than Giannis, Harden, KD, Kawhi, and yes even Steph.

He has a loooong way to go before he jumps KD or Curry. Those are very, very, very high bars to clear. Durant has more points just in the playoffs than Luka does in his career and by a decent margin. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Luka's not quite there in terms of bucket-getting, either. Especially to close games. Not in the playoffs against elite D at least.

He has a loooong way to go before he jumps KD or Curry. Those are very, very, very high bars to clear. Durant has more points just in the playoffs than Luka does in his career and by a decent margin. 

I mean yeah?  We're talking about a 2nd year player in his first playoffs.  Curry has MVP's and Titles, and so does Durant.  Of COURSE he has a ways to go.  But projecting him to be better isn't really all that hard provided he stays healthy and has a good team around him to make the playoffs every year.

And yes Luka has a ways to go in finishing games, from the FT line and just finishing close games.  But he'll get there.  We've already seen it enough to know it'll happen.

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

I mean yeah?  We're talking about a 2nd year player in his first playoffs.  Curry has MVP's and Titles, and so does Durant.  Of COURSE he has a ways to go.  But projecting him to be better isn't really all that hard provided he stays healthy and has a good team around him to make the playoffs every year.

And yes Luka has a ways to go in finishing games, from the FT line and just finishing close games.  But he'll get there.  We've already seen it enough to know it'll happen.

There's no guarantee Luka will do anything, actually. He's on a hell of a trajectory, but treating projections or hypotheticals as guaranteed happenings is a dangerous game in professional sports. 

Durant at 21 led the league in scoring, finished 2nd in MVP voting, turned a 13-14 team into a 50 win team, and picked up 2 games on the eventual champ Lakers (although he wasn't great in that series). At 22 he led the league in scoring again, won 55 games and made the WCF. At 23 he led the league in scoring again, finished 2nd in MVP voting again, went 49-17 in a lockout shortened season, and made the Finals in the West while averaging 28.5/7.4/3.7/1.5/1.2 with 3.2 TO on .517/.373/.864 shooting splits.

Fair enough, but I believe I've seen enough to know, provided he stays healthy, he'll get there.

And Luka is doing comparable stuff at his age that KD was.  Maybe even more so.  It's a LONG way to go to get there, obviously.  But it's not crazy to say he has the potential/trajectory to say he could.