Luv Ya Blue

Horn Dogg

19 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Jerry Jones hiring Barry Switzer, and Bud Adams moving the Oilers gave me the opportunity to cut the NFL out of my life. Had the Texans drafted Vince, they might have reeled me back in, but, of course (it's Houston), they didn't.

I'm glad to have Sundays free.

This right here. I havent given any kind of a shit about an NFL team since I was a kid and didn't really understand the game. Fuck jorah, fuck buddeh, and fuck barruh. They can all fuck right off the nearest building.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Jerry Jones hiring Barry Switzer, and Bud Adams moving the Oilers gave me the opportunity to cut the NFL out of my life. Had the Texans drafted Vince, they might have reeled me back in, but, of course (it's Houston), they didn't.

All of this. Err ... most of it. I still watch some NFL. I just don't have time to waste on the Jerruhboys or the Texans. DeShaun Watson makes me want to like the Texans, but I think I'll just be a fan of him instead.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

/thread

Seriously, spot the fuck on.

I get so up for football that I’m scrolling the internet come July for CFL games.  I happily watch the Whatever Kickoff Classic between Eastern Idaho and UC San Luis Obispo in August because it’s football. But the Oilers are the only NFL team I ever cared about and since they left I haven’t really paid much attention to the NFL other than how Texas players are doing.

I try to watch NFL games but the whole format puts me off.  The rules effectively make the game a constant 2-minute drill, the announcers make Cesspool and Desmond seem insightful, and the whole President Camacho delivery of the show makes me feel like a mark. I can’t get into it. 

It is nice to have Sunday free, too. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I get so up for football that I’m scrolling the internet come July for CFL games.  I happily watch the Whatever Kickoff Classic between Eastern Idaho and UC San Luis Obispo in August because it’s football. But the Oilers are the only NFL team I ever cared about and since they left I haven’t really paid much attention to the NFL other than how Texas players are doing.

I try to watch NFL games but the whole format puts me off.  The rules effectively make the game a constant 2-minute drill, the announcers make Cesspool and Desmond seem insightful, and the whole President Camacho delivery of the show makes me feel like a mark. I can’t get into it. 

It is nice to have Sunday free, too. 

I watched some clips of old games between the Redskins and Cowboys this weekend which were during the Staubach era or the original glory years of the Cowboys .   If the league had directives from the owners to enforce rules like they have today such as roughing the QB, every defense would have racked up 150 yards of penalties per game.  I watatched Staubach and Theismann get roughed up, literly picked up and thrown out of bounds a few times.   Today?   You can't even bump into the QB or a flag is thrown.   The sad fact is this shit is bleeding into the college game too.

The NFL owners have made the game the No Fun League 

Spanky,

Thanks for reminding me what a bunch of dicks your average NFL fans can be. You are your franchise. 

What a sad joke. 

We used to like the Oilers. It's worth remembering from time to time. See if you can find a way to jump up your own ass proudly wearing your beloved franchise's jersey. 

Nueces,

It's a shame nobody remembers the sadists when drawing up the rules.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I watched some clips of old games between the Redskins and Cowboys this weekend which were during the Staubach era or the original glory years of the Cowboys .   If the league had directives from the owners to enforce rules like they have today such as roughing the QB, every defense would have racked up 150 yards of penalties per game.  I watatched Staubach and Theismann get roughed up, literly picked up and thrown out of bounds a few times.   Today?   You can't even bump into the QB or a flag is thrown.   The sad fact is this shit is bleeding into the college game too.

The NFL owners have made the game the No Fun League 

You should go back to 60's. Those were the days. Dandy Don Meredith has forever been my favorite Cowboy qb. He, along with many of the old timers were mugged every Sunday.

btw, the oilers were my second favorite team. Earl was the Man.

Edited by EastTexan

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Ditto.

Their last strike eneded it for me.

4 minutes ago, EastTexan said:

You should go back to 60's. Those were the days. Dandy Don Meredith has forever been my favorite Cowboy qb. He, along with many of the old timers were mugged every Sunday.

Meredith was a hero. He got his nose broken numerous times. In one game, a defender jammed his fist past the cross bar in Meredith's helmet. Ralph Neely, the all pro OL for the Cowboys, found that player on the next play and roughed him up so bad that he had to be helped off the field. 

This wasn't game of millionaires. It was in many ways a brawl. The violence of the game picked up with weight training, technique improvement, and greater speed. It had to be brought under control.

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

Meredith was a hero. He got his nose broken numerous times. In one game, a defender jammed his fist past the cross bar in Meredith's helmet. Ralph Neely, the all pro OL for the Cowboys, found that player on the next play and roughed him up so bad that he had to be helped off the field. 

This wasn't game of millionaires. It was in many ways a brawl. The violence of the game picked up with weight training, technique improvement, and greater speed. It had to be brought under control.

You are correct.

I grew up in Houston.  Had a 5th birthday party where my cake was an Oilers helmet and I proudly wore my Oilers jersey and belt buckle.  I still have a signed picture of Earl from his Oiler days up in my office.  I lived and died with every playoff game the Oilers lost.

Anyone who thinks the "Texans" is an appropriate name for a Houston team has never set foot in the state of Texas.  That place is more like Lowsyanna than Texas.  Oilers, Astros, Rockets...  all perfect names for that city.  Texans is trying too hard to be like the Cowboys.

They should have named the clash between the Titans and Texans the "Not Oilers Bowl"

Fuck Bud Adams.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, jinx said:

Fuck Bud Adams.

Houston voters and Mayor Bob deserve an equal share of the blame. It's been an object lesson in the "Be Careful What You Ask For" department. Why did we run Bud out of town again? And what did we bend over and give to the Warden? Oh, the same exact thing -- an NFL stadium. And our new owner is even more incompetent than the first one? Cool. And now our team is fake, boring, and also sucks? Awesome. Let's start out of the gate by hiring a bunch of Aggies too. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Houston voters and Mayor Bob deserve an equal share of the blame. It's been an object lesson in the "Be Careful What You Ask For" department. Why did we run Bud out of town again? And what did we bend over and give to the Warden? Oh, the same exact thing -- an NFL stadium. And our new owner is even more incompetent than the first one? Cool. And now our team is fake, boring, and also sucks? Awesome. Let's start out of the gate by hiring a bunch of Aggies too. 

Agreed on all of this.  Cleveland at least had the smarts to hold on to the "Browns"

Cleveland....

1 hour ago, EastTexan said:

Oh I know.    I grew up watching the 70's and early 80's versions of both the Oilers and Cowboys.  Qb's and RB's took abuse big time.   And defensive players were allowed to their jobs, but were not looking to be in the human highlight films of the day.   This is the problem today or at least part of it, hence the league and football at all levels has now gone overboard with protecting QB's, targeting, etc.   Of course it all revolves around money too.  

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Cosign. The Texans are a Madden Create-A-Franchise identity. The Oilers were iconic.

1 hour ago, jinx said:

Anyone who thinks the "Texans" is an appropriate name for a Houston team has never set foot in the state of Texas.  That place is more like Lowsyanna than Texas.  Oilers, Astros, Rockets...  all perfect names for that city.  Texans is trying too hard to be like the Cowboys.

Yeah I knew it was a very bad sign when the the franchise chose the generic, safe route in naming the team the"Texans". It was also pretty stupid given the city rivalry between Houston & Dallas, since the first NFL team in Texas, and one of the worst, was the Dallas Texans.

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Bud Adams had burned so many bridges with his behavior over the years  (off the top of my head - publicly bashing the city, threatening to move to Jacksonville, tanking out of spite, cheaping out on head coaches, openly quarreling with players, coaches, and fans)  that I couldn't see anyone voting to provide him with a mug of piss in the desert.  If he had sold the Oilers to, say, Pol Pot  or Idi Amin, I think they would have gotten a new stadium.  But I think Bob and the folks who didn't vote in droves were willing to take "no more Oilers" in return for "no more Bud Adams."  Hindsight and all that but the hatred for Bud was that intense by the time he left.

Agree on all accounts on the replacement being a vastly inferior product that is as fake as the Dome astroturf.  And very maroon-centric.  If they moved to Tomball their attendance might go up.

Just now, wood said:

Yeah I knew it was a very bad sign when the the franchise chose the generic, safe route in naming the team the"Texans". It was also pretty stupid given the city rivalry between Houston & Dallas, since the first NFL team in Texas, and one of the worst, was the Dallas Texans.

I didn't live in Houston then, but wasn't there a contest where the fans voted on the name?  IIRC, "the Texans" finished near last but McNair chose it anyway because he thought it would be great marketing.

Just now, Liquor and Poker said:

I didn't live in Houston then, but wasn't there a contest where the fans voted on the name?  IIRC, "the Texans" finished near last but McNair chose it anyway because he thought it would be great marketing.

Yeah that sounds pretty familiar...

7 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

1234.  I've said it before here, and I’m going to be that asshole and say it again.  

Bum Phillips died surrounded by friends and family.   

Bud Adams died alone, and his body was only discovered after somebody in another state called the cops to do a wellness check.  

Fitting end for both.   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

This this and this

rooting for nfl teams is cool... if you are in middle school

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Bud Adams had burned so many bridges with his behavior over the years  (off the top of my head - publicly bashing the city, threatening to move to Jacksonville, tanking out of spite, cheaping out on head coaches, openly quarreling with players, coaches, and fans)  that I couldn't see anyone voting to provide him with a mug of piss in the desert.  If he had sold the Oilers to, say, Pol Pot  or Idi Amin, I think they would have gotten a new stadium.  But I think Bob and the folks who didn't vote in droves were willing to take "no more Oilers" in return for "no more Bud Adams."  Hindsight and all that but the hatred for Bud was that intense by the time he left.

Agree on all accounts on the replacement being a vastly inferior product that is as fake as the Dome astroturf.  And very maroon-centric.  If they moved to Tomball their attendance might go up.

This was exactly the case! Everyone was so sick and tired of Bud we just wanted him gone no matter what the consequences were going to be. Nevertheless, I am still shocked that noone with influence could pry the "Oilers" name away from him or the Adams family.

5 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

There was an SI photo of a game between the Oilers and the Steelers in the late 70s where they circled all the cheap shots being thrown simultaneously in the middle of a play. Pastorini and Earl were literally the only players on the field who didn't actively have a finger in somebody's eye, or a knee to somebody's groin, or a forearm to somebody's throat. And that's just because they were still in the backfield during a handoff.

5 hours ago, theaveragejon said:

Pisses me off we couldn’t get the Oilers history in Houston. 

5 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

This

Why did the Browns history stay in Cleveland?

I have only a vague memory of the "Tennessee Oilers.". I had believed the Cleveland Rule keeping the name&color in the city was universal.  But then they did ten oilers...

4 hours ago, wood said:

Excuse me. The Dallas Texans whupped the oilers in the 1962 AFL Championship.

6 minutes ago, EastTexan said:

Excuse me. The Dallas Texans whupped the oilers in the 1962 AFL Championship.

Different Dallas Texans. The 1952 Dallas Texans were an NFL team. The second incarnation was Lamar Hunt's AFL team that moved &  became the Chiefs.

Where were all you “I love the Oilers” motherfuckers in February 1994, when it wasn’t too late to keep the team there?

Please start posting the same predictable shit, such as:

”They were already leaving for Tennessee” (didn’t happen until 14 months later)

“Bud broke up the team out of greed” (The NFL salary cap started the next season, and the Oilers had the 2nd highest payroll in the league)

”Bud held the city hostage over a stadium a few years earlier” (All that happened in 1987 was that a 10-year lease got signed.  And does anyone believe that a 45K seat stadium was viable for an NFL team going forward?)

”Bud wouldn’t let you tailgate at the Dome” (The HCSA owned parking and concessions at the Dome; Bud had no control over it and got zero revenue from it)

”The Dome was fine for the Astros, it should have been fine for the Oilers” (see above, plus WTF happened almost literally the day the Oilers finalized the deal to leave?

Morons.

Edited by Ignatius
  • Like 1

As my handle implies, and like many of you, I am a Native Texan. I love our flag, I love our state, I live in the DFW area and am a lifelong Cowboys fan (although I FULLY understand they’ll never get to another NFCCG until Jerrah kicks it)- Yet, I really do like H-Town. And because of Earl, Billy “White Shoes” Johnson and the human rocket drag racing Dan Pastorini, I became an Oilers fan, as well.

But not the Texan’s.  F them (except JJ, he seems like  good dude) They had the ultimate chance to right a wrong by drafting Vince. But they aggy’d that up big time. 
So, now the  Oilers are gone,  “Luv ya Blue” is just an old rallying call from the ‘70’s, and the new team’s logo sucks ass.  It looks like some fake-ass, knockoff Longhorn logo that a random marketing company drew up so they wouldn’t be sued by the University. So I’m out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wood said:

At least they went out and got creative with the team colors. Red, white and blue. There’s no such thing as battle red, liberty white and deep steel blue. It’s fucking red, white and blue. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Where were all you “I love the Oilers” motherfuckers in February 1994, when it wasn’t too late to keep the team there?

Please start posting the same predictable shit, such as:

”They were already leaving for Tennessee” (didn’t happen until 14 months later)

“Bud broke up the team out of greed” (The NFL salary cap started the next season, and the Oilers had the 2nd highest payroll in the league)

”Bud held the city hostage over a stadium a few years earlier” (All that happened in 1987 was that a 10-year lease got signed.  And does anyone believe that a 45K seat stadium was viable for an NFL team going forward?)

”Bud wouldn’t let you tailgate at the Dome” (The HCSA owned parking and concessions at the Dome; Bud had no control over it and got zero revenue from it)

”The Dome was fine for the Astros, it should have been fine for the Oilers” (see above, plus WTF happened almost literally the day the Oilers finalized the deal to leave?

Morons.

You seem to be implying that we should have done something about it at the time. So is your point that we shouldn’t blame Bud, but the residents who could vote on funding issues? I was in high school in Feb 94 and had no say in anything. I don’t give a shit who was really to blame, it still sucks that they left. I find the NFL somewhat entertaining and watch casually, but haven't had a rooting interest in a specific team since the mid 90s. You have to root for a team as a kid to really care about them as an adult.