Luv Ya Blue

Horn Dogg

as the Horns die off and the college game is weakened by early entrants and bowl sit - outs, I am beginning to like the NFL much more than in the past 25 years.  The speed, the skill level are something to behold. So much intense Xs and Os, it's 5 D chess compared to college. I'm attraced to the new stars - Lamar Jackson, Mahomes, Garrapolo and the old GOATs Brady and Rodgers. It's good drama.

10 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah I knew it was a very bad sign when the the franchise chose the generic, safe route in naming the team the"Texans". It was also pretty stupid given the city rivalry between Houston & Dallas, since the first NFL team in Texas, and one of the worst, was the Dallas Texans.

I’d still be a fan if Houston were the oilers instead of the Texans. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Where were all you “I love the Oilers” motherfuckers in February 1994, when it wasn’t too late to keep the team there?

Please start posting the same predictable shit, such as:

”They were already leaving for Tennessee” (didn’t happen until 14 months later)

“Bud broke up the team out of greed” (The NFL salary cap started the next season, and the Oilers had the 2nd highest payroll in the league)

”Bud held the city hostage over a stadium a few years earlier” (All that happened in 1987 was that a 10-year lease got signed.  And does anyone believe that a 45K seat stadium was viable for an NFL team going forward?)

”Bud wouldn’t let you tailgate at the Dome” (The HCSA owned parking and concessions at the Dome; Bud had no control over it and got zero revenue from it)

”The Dome was fine for the Astros, it should have been fine for the Oilers” (see above, plus WTF happened almost literally the day the Oilers finalized the deal to leave?

Morons.

You must be a relative of that fatass Adams with a hair piece that looked like a squirrel crawled up on his head and died.  

The Astrodome sat more than 60,000.  Not sure where you get the 45,000 from.  I know.  I was there for 90 percent of the home games from 86 to 93.  

Bud held a gun to the city’s head in 87.  He got the renovations he demanded.  They were completed in 1989 before the season.  3 years later and he’s back making threats to moving.  He was a major asshole everyone in Houston hated.  

• Like 2

I watched some clips of old games between the Redskins and Cowboys this weekend which were during the Staubach era or the original glory years of the Cowboys .   If the league had directives from the owners to enforce rules like they have today such as roughing the QB, every defense would have racked up 150 yards of penalties per game.  I watatched Staubach and Theismann get roughed up, literly picked up and thrown out of bounds a few times.   Today?   You can't even bump into the QB or a flag is thrown.   The sad fact is this shit is bleeding into the college game too.

The NFL owners have made the game the No Fun League 

The NFL owners have nothing to do with it (other than allegedly covering up the effects of concussions). The money grab by the retired players is what has changed the game. The NFL has to give lip service to “safety” or they’ll get sued again. I understand the grievance of the players, but damn near all of them would do it again in a heartbeat evens knowing the consequences.

Edit: and the Browns name and history stayed in Cleveland because over 50k people showed up to protest them leaving. Fewer than 50 showed up at a protest for the Oilers.

This thread always delivers the same shitty “look at me I’m so much cooler than you!” posts.

Ex. 1: “I don’t follow NFL so they don’t get my money and I have my sundays free! Any adult man that wears an NFL tshirt or hat is a fucking loser! My shit doesn’t stink either!” Well good for you, fuck sticks! The NFL is really missing your money it seems, and nobody else gives a shit. 

Ex. 2: “The Texans would’ve won me back if they had drafted Vince but they didn’t so they lost their opportunity to have me as a fan!” They haven’t missed out on attendance before or after the 2006 draft, so I’m sure the McNairs are crying in their bland chili about your personal boycott. 13 years later, is this take not the stupidest shit given the retrospective data we have? VY’s pro career was a failure under multiple teams, and although Jeff Fisher fucked him over, he also fucked himself. Post NFL, his highlights are two DUI’s, getting fired from his cush job with UT, fired from Longhorn Network, and recently lost all his awards because he didn’t pay his storage unit rent. As a pro, Mario Williams actually had the best career between him, VY, and Bush (not saying much). All that considered in hindsight, you really think it would have been best for the Texans to draft VY? People that say yes are blinded by their burnt orange shades. The Texans don’t need fans as stupid as you if you can’t admit that while you wished they had taken Vince at the time, it wouldn’t have worked out.

Ex. 3: “The Texans did this or should’ve done that just to increase their attendance.” They’ve literally sold out every regular season game in their existence. They don’t need to do shit, and if their name, logo, colors, Clay Walker theme song, or checkered tablecloth approach had anything to do with it, then it was successful and they absolutely shouldn’t listen to your stupid ass criticism. 

Ex. 4: “The Houston [insert team name, most often Texans] are aggy.” Ok boomer sooner. Aggy U is situated closer to Houston than other cities and therefore has the highest concentration of them. Same shit goes for OU alumni in the DFW area. Having a bunch of aggy in your city does not make the whole city aggy. With the exception of Kubiak, I don’t know if there was ever any affiliation between the Texans and aggy, and the analogy was flawed and only used to piss off and troll Houston fans who are UT alumni. Is it because they made many stupid decisions, and aggies are stupid, therefore Texans = aggy? Cowboy fans dropping that logic better check the mirror, their franchise has been circling the shitter more since the 2002 inception than Houston, and just prior to that they employed the great OU Satan as their head coach. 

• Like 3

Some of y’all sound like fucking women. Is the NFL perfect? Nope. But between Lamar, Mahomes, Brees still killing it, and the Pats run possibly over - the NFL is awesome. Hell I’m a Cowboys fan and still watch every game, and laugh at Garrett’s dumbassary. Plus, a good reason to drink beer and gamble on a Sunday. We all love college sports, but the two can co-exist ffs. 

Edited by hundredTT
  • Like 2

Y’all sound like some women. Is the NFL perfect? Nope. But between Lamar, Mahomes, Brees still killing it, and the Pats run possibly over - the NFL is awesome. A good reason to drink beer and gamble on a Sunday and watch the best sport. 
As a lifelong cowboys fan I will watch them. Probably always will. But I dont care if Baltimore is playing kansas city.

But the imperfection of college football is way better, to me. I watched all the games today. Saturdays in the fall I will record and watch 3-5 games between 11a and midnight, watching the other one on sunday.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

You must be a relative of that fatass Adams with a hair piece that looked like a squirrel crawled up on his head and died.  

The Astrodome sat more than 60,000.  Not sure where you get the 45,000 from.  I know.  I was there for 90 percent of the home games from 86 to 93.  

Bud held a gun to the city’s head in 87.  He got the renovations he demanded.  They were completed in 1989 before the season.  3 years later and he’s back making threats to moving.  He was a major asshole everyone in Houston hated.  

The renovations were agreed upon in 1987 in exchange for a 10-year lease extension that expired at the end of the 1996 season.  You’re right, it took them 2 years to complete it after the lease was signed.  Adams started trying to negotiate with Lanier and McLane two years prior to the expiration of the lease.

That renovation added 10K seats so you’re right again, the capacity at that time was 53K not 45K. Do you think it was reasonable (even 25 years ago) for an NFL owner to be happy playing in a 63K seat stadium with no parking or concession revenue?  Within 2 years of the Oilers leaving Lanier and McLane convinced the city of Houston the Dome was suddenly a miserable piece of shit; how did it suddenly go to hell so quickly?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

The renovations were agreed upon in 1987 in exchange for a 10-year lease extension that expired at the end of the 1996 season.  You’re right, it took them 2 years to complete it after the lease was signed.  Adams started trying to negotiate with Lanier and McLane two years prior to the expiration of the lease.

That renovation added 10K seats so you’re right again, the capacity at that time was 53K not 45K. Do you think it was reasonable (even 25 years ago) for an NFL owner to be happy playing in a 63K seat stadium with no parking or concession revenue?  Within 2 years of the Oilers leaving Lanier and McLane convinced the city of Houston the Dome was suddenly a miserable piece of shit; how did it suddenly go to hell so quickly?

The Dome and the Rodeo are the curse of Houston NFL football. 

11 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Where were all you “I love the Oilers” motherfuckers in February 1994, when it wasn’t too late to keep the team there?

Please start posting the same predictable shit, such as:

”They were already leaving for Tennessee” (didn’t happen until 14 months later)

“Bud broke up the team out of greed” (The NFL salary cap started the next season, and the Oilers had the 2nd highest payroll in the league)

”Bud held the city hostage over a stadium a few years earlier” (All that happened in 1987 was that a 10-year lease got signed.  And does anyone believe that a 45K seat stadium was viable for an NFL team going forward?)

”Bud wouldn’t let you tailgate at the Dome” (The HCSA owned parking and concessions at the Dome; Bud had no control over it and got zero revenue from it)

”The Dome was fine for the Astros, it should have been fine for the Oilers” (see above, plus WTF happened almost literally the day the Oilers finalized the deal to leave?

Morons.

Well I was a 4 year old with a room full of Oilers paraphernalia soooo

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8 hours ago, Ignatius said:

The seating capacity for football was 62,000.  It was 54,000 for baseball. 

https://www.nrgpark.com/nrg-park-facilities-2/nrg-astrodome/

here is an example.  When we beat the Steelers at home in 1993

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199311280oti.htm

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

The seating capacity for football was 62,000.  It was 54,000 for baseball. 

https://www.nrgpark.com/nrg-park-facilities-2/nrg-astrodome/

here is an example.  When we beat the Steelers at home in 1993

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199311280oti.htm

Yes, that was AFTER the renovation which added 10K seats.  My point was that not wanting to play in a 52K seat stadium (my bad on the 45K) with no parking or concession revenue in 1987 was something any owner would have done.  People can talk about him ‘holding the city hostage’ but he had probably one of the worst deals of any owners in any professional sports league.

Don’t get me wrong, I despise Bud Adams,  but what I despise more is this revisionist history from Houstonians about how much they loved the Oilers.  After 1980 it was purely a bandwagon thing....

As proof of my sickness, I offer up my season ticket stubs (most of them anyway) from the 1996 season; I was one of the pitiful 15K in attendance the last game against the Bengals.

J70jdpu.jpg

Not sure what happened to the other two; it's possible they had to be sacrificed to JCI, assuming they were running the same deal as the previous year:

evwqeOn.jpg

• Like 2

I didn't expect that so many fellow Surly football boarders to join me in shaking a fist at the NFL and being happily rid of what was once a pretty powerful addiction.

On a sports bulletin board less secure in its masculinity (Texags, to use an extreme example), you might expect outrage at someone not heading down to the man cave (odious term; overcompensating inclination?) to watch games all day Sunday. Not here. You either watch 'em or you don't.

It is nice spending Sundays with the beloved or just dicking around on my own. 

12 hours ago, hundredTT said:

Some of y’all sound like fucking women. Is the NFL perfect? Nope. But between Lamar, Mahomes, Brees still killing it, and the Pats run possibly over - the NFL is awesome. Hell I’m a Cowboys fan and still watch every game, and laugh at Garrett’s dumbassary. Plus, a good reason to drink beer and gamble on a Sunday. We all love college sports, but the two can co-exist ffs. 

Yeah, but we aren't getting our asses eaten out in a parking lot on a Sunday afternoon in Buffalo, so we win!

5 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I didn't expect that so many fellow Surly football boarders to join me in shaking a fist at the NFL and being happily rid of what was once a pretty powerful addiction.

On a sports bulletin board less secure in its masculinity (Texags, to use an extreme example), you might expect outrage at someone not heading down to the man cave (odious term; overcompensating inclination?) to watch games all day Sunday. Not here. You either watch 'em or you don't.

It is nice spending Sundays with the beloved or just dicking around on my own. 

You sound like a pussy...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1