Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

12 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Not at all.  Same basic principles as the WSM (which I'm a big fan of BTW - especially how portable they are).  It's a human error issue.  The eggs do take a little while to get up to temp. so many smokers (guilty) start peeking and playing with the vents.  What you also see is once temp is reached (say you are dialing in 250), then you add your meat and water/sand pan, which act as a 'thermal or heat sink', so your temp then immediately drops.  Then you open it up, and shortly you are @ 300+.  Then you close it back up, but the temps won't drop, and you start panicking, burping off heat, etc with the lid. 

*magnified is you are on a timeline and HAVE to be ready by a certain time.

Pretty common occurrence until you get familiar with the process.  Keeping a journal is a good idea to track these things (assuming your thermometer doesn't keep a digital record of each smoke)

You also see it with lumps of wood or large pieces of lump charcoal.  You get flare ups and the temp spikes.  But most of the time it's just a byproduct of peeking.  You open the lid, air rushes in and feeds the fire. 

Ah, I see.  I do the minion method and put the meat on when I pour my coals from the chimney onto the bed.  So when it gets close to my desired temp, I just close two vents, and close the third to "pencil width."  Locks in and stays there.  I don't look at it until it's time to do something (wrap, etc.).

Finished pork shoulder. I got settled in last night around 220 degrees and was pretty consistent. When I woke up this morning the ambient temp had dropped to 164, but the meat was reading at 140 or so. I opened the grill up to move some coals around to rearrange them back into a pyramid of sorts. The temp climbed all the way up to around 300 and no amount of closing off the air worked before I needed it done so I had to settle with wrapping it and throwing it in the oven to finish it off. It was fucking delicious, but I think the spike ended up drying a little more of it out than usual. All in all it was some good practice and the mothers day guests seemed to love it. 

311n975.jpg

• Like 2

Guys, what are the reasons one would want an XL versus an L green egg?
I mainly cook for 6-8 people. Once a year for 12 or so.
Ive read I believe on the old shag thread that the L cooks better?

I’ve cooked on both regularly. In my experience, the large is easier to control. It seems like that particular shape just works better for airflow, etc.

That said, I love my XL because it gives me so much more space when I need it. I’ve done a 14 lb prime rib on XL. Doubt you could do that in a L.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Tailgate said:

I wouldn't say "better".  The smaller size makes it easier to manage temp.  They also come up to temp faster.  Same with stick burners.  But they manage temp just as well once you get the hang of it.  Then there's the 'buy once, cry once' mantra - if you ever need the added space, you have it.  Multiple items for a big audience.  I have a neighbor with the XL oval Primo.  Big fan.  I've never needed the added space.  So it's never been an issue.  I've done a full brisket and two pork butts at once before.  That's plenty.  There are also more aftermarket items for the large vs. XL out there. 

11 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Finished pork shoulder. I got settled in last night around 220 degrees and was pretty consistent. When I woke up this morning the ambient temp had dropped to 164, but the meat was reading at 140 or so. I opened the grill up to move some coals around to rearrange them back into a pyramid of sorts. The temp climbed all the way up to around 300 and no amount of closing off the air worked before I needed it done so I had to settle with wrapping it and throwing it in the oven to finish it off. It was fucking delicious, but I think the spike ended up drying a little more of it out than usual. All in all it was some good practice and the mothers day guests seemed to love it. 

311n975.jpg

That looks legit.  And yeah, the efficiency of the designs also create these spikes.  Once of reasons I really don't add big chunks of wood.  They burn faster than the lump and often create these spikes if you get one buried in piles of lump.  More a matter of preference.  I've finished a ton of cooks in the oven.

Buddy few weeks past served a righteous brisket that was so good I bugged him until he spilled his method:  trimmed and rubbed like most.  8 hours on the egg.  Then he wrapped the thing in one of those clear plastic oven bags, blew it full of air so it didn't touch his bark, then into a foil pan and finished in the oven.  For his "style" - which is always to chop it all up for sandwiches, it was amazing.  Good is good.  No matter the methods. 

I did pork tenderloins last night for Mother's Day.   Normally, I do direct and get a pretty good sear but  did them indirect with my place setter in and cooked them on a rack above a aluminum drip pan with a little apple juice, apple cider vinegar and water.  Rubbed them down with a cumin/paprika/cayenne/salt/pepper mixture about 8 hours before I threw them on the grill.   Pulled them when I got 140 internal temps, tented and let them rest about 10 minutes.   Sliced them up (drippings galore) and poured all of that back over top of the meat on the plate. 

I've hemmed & hawed on this too long.  At our old house, I had an offset smoker that I used a ton (mostly to just grill but smoke probably 2x per year).  We moved almost 3 years ago and our new house had a built-in Napolean stainless steel propane grill.  The offset smoker was custom-made by my brother-in-law and he put it on a center pole and we buried an aluminum pole in my old backyard and slid it onto.  I moved the grill but never could agree with my wife where to put it.  I ended up giving it to my old man to take it to my uncle's ranch near Del Rio.

I miss grilling on fire and we agreed on the BGE.  I have an opening spot in our outdoor living deal where I currently have a mini fridge.  It's not even plugged in though because it doesn't keep beer as cold as my garage fridge does and the garage fridge might be 40 feet away with a door there too.. So I am going to take out the mini fridge and have a guy cut the counter top and put a BGE in there as well as a masonry base for it to sit on.  The opening is the perfect size for the Large size (I measured my neighbor's BGE like 5 times).

So here's the question... when I go to a BGE "dealer" are the prices all the same?  There is one about 6 miles from me and they deliver free in a 10 mile radius.  I am thinking of going in today during lunch to take a look.  Tips?

29 minutes ago, RD3 said:

So here's the question... when I go to a BGE "dealer" are the prices all the same?  There is one about 6 miles from me and they deliver free in a 10 mile radius.  I am thinking of going in today during lunch to take a look.  Tips?

Generally, the prices are consistent.  That said, depending on where you are located, might be able to find a deal over Memorial Day weekend. I bought my Large BGE in Houston at Bering's on Memorial Day weekend, used their 20% off coupon.  

As for accessories, you'll definitely want the plate setter.  I've found the ash tool pretty helpful.  Ultimately, you will fry your gasket.  I did so several years ago and never felt the need to replace it.  YMMV   I would also recommend replacing the dome thermometer because the BGE is a pos.  NBD if you're running a dual-probe

On 5/13/2018 at 10:00 PM, Tailgate said:

I've never ran into too much of an issue smoking but when I grill, I run into space issues on the L egg.  In hindsight, I would've bought an XL instead since grilling is 80-90% of my cooking nowadays.

On 5/17/2018 at 2:27 PM, Spoosner said:

Home Depot has this sale going today: Vision Kamado Professional Ceramic Charcoal Grill in Orange with Grill Cover for $599.  I'm in the market and this seems like a good price.  Is this the same one that some people are saying broke right away for them?  Reviews are pretty solid.

This was my first ceramic smoker - loved it.  Smoked on it for years and years, turning out a great product.  Gave to my younger brother when I moved a few years back.  Only thing that ever needed replacing was the gasket.  

What thermometer should I get. 2 probe?

Also I did my first cook today. Just did a quick my strip. It was amazing. I probably cooked it about 45 seconds too long but the crust was amazing.

Supposed to some burgers next week. A little worried about overcooking those but I’ll figure it out.

a9f6a7ee8afbedc0806dc193f4f79984.jpg

Cross posting from the other thread I started. Just pulled these bad boys off and letting them rest.

Temp bounced around on me a little. It came up to temp really fast (350°) so then I had to get it back down. Didn’t have anything but apple chunks so I threw a few of those in, which might have contributed to the spikes I saw. Temp bounced from 325 down to 250. I was shooting for 275-285 and that’s not a temp I use a lot.

Looking forward to digging in in about 30 mins.

• Like 3

On 5/19/2018 at 4:35 PM, SMUlawUTgrad said:

What thermometer should I get. 2 probe?

Also I did my first cook today. Just did a quick my strip. It was amazing. I probably cooked it about 45 seconds too long but the crust was amazing.

Supposed to some burgers next week. A little worried about overcooking those but I’ll figure it out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0755VJ33G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got that guy and love it.

Need a new grill/smoker after my cheapie offset stick burner was left behind in a move. Really liked the supposed versatility of the ceramic cookers but didn't want to drop a grand and then not like them. 

So I picked up a chargriller akorn at Lowe's for 300 bucks just to see if I liked the Komodo style. What a great little cooker. Haven't done a long smoke yet, but it didn't move 5 degrees on a 6 hour smoke for ribs. No leaks, tight as a drum. 

I'm sure the ceramics are naturally better at holding heat, but this thing has convinced me the Komodo style is the way to go. Plus, I could take this thing camping or to a tailgate and not worry about anything cracking. For the same price as the big WSM, I don't know how you wouldn't choose this thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 5/7/2018 at 8:34 PM, Buzzrock said:

I have heard that but not actually tried it. I was in a little bit of a hurry and the wife likes her meat burnt to a crisp so she usually eats the crispy ones. She’s a well-done burger type.

It pains me.

Yikes.  I feel for you.  Fortunately, Mrs. Sola (no pics) is a BBQ and steak aficionado and can appreciate the good stuff.

Takes two seconds to add a little foil.  Give it a try next time.  Just criss-cross the platesetter with foil, making sure that the gaps between the setter and fire ring are loosely covered. 

Did a rack for dinner last night.

40471681280_e3531620a7_b.jpg

40471681750_9de2c509c8_b.jpg

Edited by solamente73
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 2:46 PM, RD3 said:

On a BGE, what's the vertical thermal gradient profile like when smoking?

While smoking if the top temp gauge reads 225degF what is the temp at the grill level?

This is why you get the dual-probe to sit directly on the grate.  Generally it's around a 15+/- degree difference, but it can be more.  Also, the back of the grate will be hotter than the front.  And with an egg, the heat circulates above the food, not below as with a traditional off-set.  So don't assume the grate is hotter than the raised temp gauge.  

21 hours ago, pops said:

Need a new grill/smoker after my cheapie offset stick burner was left behind in a move. Really liked the supposed versatility of the ceramic cookers but didn't want to drop a grand and then not like them. 

So I picked up a chargriller akorn at Lowe's for 300 bucks just to see if I liked the Komodo style. What a great little cooker. Haven't done a long smoke yet, but it didn't move 5 degrees on a 6 hour smoke for ribs. No leaks, tight as a drum. 

I'm sure the ceramics are naturally better at holding heat, but this thing has convinced me the Komodo style is the way to go. Plus, I could take this thing camping or to a tailgate and not worry about anything cracking. For the same price as the big WSM, I don't know how you wouldn't choose this thing. 

Agreed.  I know a lot of guys that started with them, "upgraded" to ceramic smokers, and yet still have them.  In many ways they are more versatile, lighter, and no issues of ceramic integrity problems.  It's the Indian, not the arrow.  If you know what you are doing, those little Akorns can hold their own with anyone.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yikes.  I feel for you.  Fortunately, Mrs. Sola (no pics) is a BBQ and steak aficionado and can appreciate the good stuff.
Takes two seconds to add a little foil.  Give it a try next time.  Just criss-cross the platesetter with foil, making sure that the gaps between the setter and fire ring are loosely covered. 
40471681280_e3531620a7_b.jpg
40471681750_9de2c509c8_b.jpg

I will definitely do this next time.

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

This is why you get the dual-probe to sit directly on the grate.  Generally it's around a 15+/- degree difference, but it can be more.  Also, the back of the grate will be hotter than the front.  And with an egg, the heat circulates above the food, not below as with a traditional off-set.  So don't assume the grate is hotter than the raised temp gauge.  

I have the Maverick dual probe but haven't used it in 3 years...  Should still work but I didn't know if you guys had an idea of the thermal gradient for the BGE.  Good stuff!

15 hours ago, RD3 said:

I have the Maverick dual probe but haven't used it in 3 years...  Should still work but I didn't know if you guys had an idea of the thermal gradient for the BGE.  Good stuff!

Maverick is great.  I had one as well.  If you aren't away from your house for long periods of time and don't care about having WIFI access or digital records of each cook, basic digital thermometers work every bit as well as the more expensive stuff.  BBQ ins't easy, but it is simple:  time and temperature.  Rendering what used to be seen as undesirable cuts of meat.  Everything else is just a matter of preference and style.

34 minutes ago, RD3 said:

I'm in Austin. Do any of these BGE dealers ever run Memorial Day sales or are they always the same price?

I'm ready to pull the trigger but don't want to if a sale could be hitting...

They are rarely on sale. Best bet would to purchase a demo from an Eggfest. Looks like you just missed the Austin Eggfest, which was at the end of April. 

17 hours ago, RD3 said:

I'm in Austin. Do any of these BGE dealers ever run Memorial Day sales or are they always the same price?

I'm ready to pull the trigger but don't want to if a sale could be hitting...

They aren’t discounted by much ever, but BBQ Outfitters usually deals a little on Memorial Day weekend.

Project this weekend complete... I put together the Nest on Sunday and the BGE on Monday.

IMG_1147_zpsllxuwapo.jpg

IMG_1148_zps03o2rqhe.jpg

It took me just under 2 hours but most of that was figuring out the instructions. The hardest part was getting the BGE into the nest.  I did this job solo but the problem was the nest was too tight. The egg had another 2 inches and it wasn't resting on the support.  Then it dawned on me that I could loosen the nest brackets to give it some more wiggle room.  That worked eventually and then it was flush.  I then went around and tightened the bolts.  My back is sore today because I picked up the base probably 20 times.

Now I need to fire this thing up.  I've been told to stick with low temps to start to break the seal in slowly.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 8:45 AM, solamente73 said:

This is a good tip. Tried it over the weekend with some ribs. It seemed to help keep the temperature down, which has always been my biggest problem. Blocks more of the heat from the coals, so the cooking area doesn't get as hot, and I was maintaining a good 225 - 250 for several hours, which was exactly what I wanted. Ribs turned out fantastic. Sorry, didn't bother to take pics.

4 hours ago, RD3 said:

Project this weekend complete... I put together the Nest on Sunday and the BGE on Monday.

IMG_1147_zpsllxuwapo.jpg

IMG_1148_zps03o2rqhe.jpg

It took me just under 2 hours but most of that was figuring out the instructions. The hardest part was getting the BGE into the nest.  I did this job solo but the problem was the nest was too tight. The egg had another 2 inches and it wasn't resting on the support.  Then it dawned on me that I could loosen the nest brackets to give it some more wiggle room.  That worked eventually and then it was flush.  I then went around and tightened the bolts.  My back is sore today because I picked up the base probably 20 times.

Now I need to fire this thing up.  I've been told to stick with low temps to start to break the seal in slowly.

Fantastic. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Forgot to cross post:

e1806c069fdb5a32e8b653a67f5ab9e1.jpg

a974af6f7401adac758b5ba9fd048c16.jpg

2601856977680de23660f807de0580a1.jpg

Looks great.  My traditional Xmas fare.  And honestly, I've been using the oven more than the smoker.  Need to revisit this.  I have a giant cast iron skillet I use to sear, then into the oven.  Pioneer Women's recipe is what I've been using.  Leftovers make a hell of a Gremolata.  

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Looks great.  My traditional Xmas fare.  And honestly, I've been using the oven more than the smoker.  Need to revisit this.  I have a giant cast iron skillet I use to sear, then into the oven.  Pioneer Women's recipe is what I've been using.  Leftovers make a hell of a Gremolata.  

Is that a pork tenderloin?