Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

Here's some pics of a brisket I did a couple of weeks ago.  I soaked some post oak chunks in water for 24-30 hours and that really helped with the smoke flavor.  Brisket was probably about 12.5# after trimming.  Cook time was 9 hours at 260*.  It was sitting on the counter sliced for a while before I took that pic.

Brisket1.jpg

Brisket2.jpg

Brisket3.jpg

Edited by Dry Elbows
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Lurch said:

Trying a different setup today, using one of the deflector plates as a wall and leaving the coal exposed so that I can add wood chunks/chips throughout the smoke

That should work fine, is very similar to the Slow n Sear add-on to Weber, and you're in a kamado which has better insulation and more even temperature distribution. That said, depending on the heat distribution, you might rotate the meat 180' (point the bones to the left) midway through the cook.

• Like 1

Tried to do a "Franklin Method" brisket on my new XL BGE yesterday and it turned out fantastic. Only weird thing was that it didn't stall until around ~185 but then it fell back under 180 for about 3 hours before rising again. Had the probe in the same spot I always stick brisket with, so maybe it was just a weird cut?

Then after I wrapped it and put it back on I couldn't get the dome temp to get back below 300, so I ended up taking it off and finishing it in the oven at 210 for a couple of hours instead. 

All in all took ~11 hours including an hour of rest before we sliced and it was great. Probably one of the best I've ever made and I didn't have to mess with adding wood or lumps one time. Pretty sure I'll figure out how to do it "right" on the BGE with a little more practice, but can't say this one wasn't all that bad to begin with. 

Did not think to get a picture of the finished brisket yesterday, but here is a pic of this afternoon's leftovers lunch after church. 

IMG_4373.jpg.3f56235640ef4493e3fb9fa5d71f56dd.jpg

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 2

Jumping in and getting the 18” Vision S series grill. Getting my new patio built next week and this thread has inspired me; should have it in just in time for the weekend. Anything that should be an immediate purchase with this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vision-Grills-Kamado-Professional-Ceramic-Charcoal-Grill-in-Orange-with-Grill-Cover-S-O4C1D1/206493536

• Like 2

Jumping in and getting the 18” Vision S series grill. Getting my new patio built next week and this thread has inspired me; should have it in just in time for the weekend. Anything that should be an immediate purchase with this?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vision-Grills-Kamado-Professional-Ceramic-Charcoal-Grill-in-Orange-with-Grill-Cover-S-O4C1D1/206493536

Make sure it has a deflector plate or you’ll need to buy one for long smokes. Also get a grate with feet that sits on the main grate that allows for another level of cooking for ribs or whatever.
  • Like 1

I got my table over the weekend from JJGeorge. It's quite nice. Wife is super pleased about me having to make room on the back patio for my Primo, my WSM, my Weber Genesis and my Blackstone. (not to mention the trailer parked in the garage)
50090593066_e9ef93f9ba_c.jpg

I hate to drop another $800, but my original Primo stand is rusting through. Let us know what you think of this one

2 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I've had my Vision since November 2018.  Although the electric starter seemed like an no brainer, I have gone to just using starter cubes or nests.  For the low temperature cooks I do (<300), the electric starter makes too big of a fire.  It is easier to plan for 45 mins - 1 hour to get the fire regulated than it is to get the temperature back down because of having too big of a fire.

Here are the accessories I have:

Large Woo Ring; 2 half stones; 1 whole stone; 16" drip pan - Ceramic Grill Store

Kick Ash Basket and Kick Ash Grate Hook from Kick Ash Basket 

Pit Viper Fan and Adapter from BBQ Guru paired with a FireBoard drive and fan control cable from FireBoard Labs

The Woo Ring and stones allow for multiple configurations of the grill and act as heat deflectors (smoking or indirect cooking).  The Kick Ash Basket requires removal of the electric starter shield, but it was no problem for me since I stopped using the electric starter.  The FireBoard and Pit Viper are expensive, but allow for almost effortless regulation of fire and temperature.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I didn’t see it anywhere in the instructions but I’m pretty sure this thing starts playing the Eyes of Texas when your food is done cooking. 

CED5F546-81AE-43B5-A656-184A1DBC1084.jpeg

You'll probably want to move it outside.

Just a word of caution.  Be really careful when you roll it.  They are fairly back heavy with the large hinge and can easily tip over if the casters get caught in a grove or something.  I always move mine by pulling it into place from the hinge side as opposed to pushing it.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

Anyone tried the Cowboy lump? I’d assume it sucks because it’s half the price of everything else I see for the same weight

It sucks. I've heard good things about B&B which I haven't tried. Royal Oak and the BGE lump have been decent to good.

22 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I didn’t see it anywhere in the instructions but I’m pretty sure this thing starts playing the Eyes of Texas when your food is done cooking. 

CED5F546-81AE-43B5-A656-184A1DBC1084.jpeg

Alright well it didn’t actually play the eyes as my own personal meat thermometer, but I did grill a couple pork tenderloins to christen this biotch. Immediately I realized what I mistake i made five years ago when I bought a propane grill when I got married. (The mistake was the grill, not the marriage...) 

My wife is going to have to adjust to things being a little smoky, although I noticed even with a 25-30 min grill there was the tiniest bit of smoke ring. Anything to be done to mitigate that if I’m not necessarily looking for a smoke flavor? Used b&b lump. TBH never really cooked on charcoal myself unless fucking around at a friends lake house or something like that. I myself didn’t expect it to taste that smoky (it was fucking delicious though)

6D2657EC-42B8-437B-A7D7-901A0C40A62B.jpeg

637DBF51-FB9A-489E-A515-399230D07BCC.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

This may be it. It took me a while to get the coals going so I was a little antsy to get the meat on the grill. 

At grilling temps you shouldn't get much smoke at all,  but if you want to taste the meat and not the heat I think you know where to look. 

• Like 1

Pulled pork from the Vision Grill yesterday turned out finominle. The pork shoulder I got from one of those bulk meat delivery companies and was absolutely massive so I cut it in half so it didn't take 9 years to finish. My first trial with B&B lump charcoal and I was amazed at how easy it was to control the temp with it. I think I adjusted my vents a total of three times in an 8hr smoke, it was awesome. 

DD322E11-5C4C-4CFF-8506-6AF4B0696C27.jpeg

11E8B781-E279-4623-AE51-E7CF29A6F3BA.jpeg

0E1D6DC6-5A22-4F08-8809-11495FDEC319.jpeg

EDDC0D6C-3461-4A21-93A0-0EAF2E201523.jpeg

• Like 3

Gonna piggyback on your post because I did very much the same thing this weekend... vision grill, b&b, pork butt and ribs. This was the first time I’ve ever actually smoked anything and i was shocked by how easy it was. Made probably a few too many adjustments to the dials early on because of impatience, but Once I figured out to just let it chill there were no issues. I stayed within 10 degrees on either side of 250 for the entire 8 hours I was smoking though, so I dont think it was a big deal. 

FF559144-BA85-4734-AE1A-9C72DD8F7278.jpeg

157E36DD-1926-4ECB-BC2F-11BA37485F0E.jpeg

8EB19FAC-CF89-4C5C-BC4A-1BE6B31BB379.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Troubleshooting. Would appreciate any feedback...

Set Up

* Bought a used 15yo LG BGE two years ago
* I'm a huge fan. Used it quite a bit - numerous pork rib cooks - St Louis, Spares
* Plenty of beef short ribs - mostly good, sometimes dry-ish but still mostly killer
* I've rocked steak, fajitas, spatchcock chickens, salmon, the usual - always turned out pretty damn good. Love the taste, love the challenge of the smoker

* I've smoked about 5 full packer briskets - the Point is usually not bad, but I'm consistently dealing w a dry Flat (reason for this post)

* Hardware: Felt seal seems okay. Egg sits on a nest w a cover on a roofed patio, when not in use
* Usually clean out ash thoroughly for air flow for important cooks

The Problem

* Whether it is a 5 lb Boston butt or a16 lb Prime brisket, my situation almost always results in a ridiculously long cook with a dried up piece of peppered jerky for the payoff

* I've cooked briskets at 225. And 275, recently. Both flats dry af

* By the time I'm happy w the bark it has been stalled for multiple hours. I wrap in butcher paper and the thing goes into marathon stall mode at 173 for another 5 or so critical hours

* I always employ a water tray - usually a big one low enough profile to accommodate a standard grill sitting atop the plate setter, across the foil tray (physically separates the meat from the heat source

* Fat side down

* I've used decent lump. Oak chunks here. Pecan there. Always the same - tough flat

* I spritz after two hours - ACV, water. Hit every 45 minutes or so after that

* I let it rest for 30-45 min after pulling off pit, rest in cooler for a couple hours afterward.

* When I attempt oven method after wrap, flat is still a dry shitshow

* My last brisket: 16 lb prime, pulled at 21 hours. Yes, dry, of course. I was told by more than a few people it should have taken less than half that cook time

Question

Guys, what am I doing wrong here?

Set Up

* I'm a huge fan. Used it quite a bit - numerous pork rib cooks - St Louis, Spares
* Plenty of beef short ribs - mostly good, sometimes dry-ish but still mostly killer
* I've rocked steak, fajitas, spatchcock chickens, salmon, the usual - always turned out pretty damn good. Love the taste, love the challenge of the smoker

* I've smoked about 5 full packer briskets - the Point is usually not bad, but I'm consistently dealing w a dry Flat (reason for this post)

* Hardware: Felt seal seems okay. Egg sits on a nest w a cover on a roofed patio, when not in use

The Problem

* Whether it is a 5 lb Boston butt or a16 lb Prime brisket, my situation almost always results in a ridiculously long cook with a dried up piece of peppered jerky for the payoff

* By the time I'm happy w the bark it has been stalled for multiple hours. I wrap in butcher paper and the thing goes into marathon stall mode at 173 for another 5 or so critical hours

* I always employ a water tray - usually a big one low enough profile to accommodate a standard grill sitting atop the plate setter, across the foil tray (physically separates the meat from the heat source

* Fat side down

* I've used decent lump. Oak chunks here. Pecan there. Always the same - tough flat

* I let it rest for 30-45 min after pulling off pit, rest in cooler for a couple hours afterward.

* My last brisket: 16 lb prime, pulled at 21 hours. Yes, dry, of course. I was told by more than a few people it should have taken less than half that cook time

Question

Are you refilling your water bath? About halfway through, the water evaporates and the fat fills in, so it looks like you still have water but you don't.

I fill a 9x13 pyrex casserole dish on top of the plate setter with water at the start and i refill about halfway through.

You are using the plate setter, right?
  • Like 1

Are you refilling your water bath? About halfway through, the water evaporates and the fat fills in, so it looks like you still have water but you don't.

I fill a 9x13 pyrex casserole dish on top of the plate setter with water at the start and i refill about halfway through.

You are using the plate setter, right?
Refilling the water is interesting. Always looks very greasy/thick when I trash it the next day or two.

Always indirect with platesetter. Thank you.

8 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Set Up

The Problem

* Fat side down

Question

Flip it.   Go fat side up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Refilling the water is interesting. Always looks very greasy/thick when I trash it the next day or two.

Always indirect with platesetter. Thank you.

How are you measuring temp? 

• Like 1

The way the heat comes around the outside of the kamado, it tends to cook things pushed up to the edges too much.  The very end of the flats on briskets I've cooked have gotten way dried out.  I am going to try and make a shield to prevent the heat from directly touching the end of the flat for my next cook - maybe just a wall of foil.  The rest of my brisket, including most of the flat, turns out fine.

• Like 1

I cook fat side down in my egg. +2 on the part about making sure you keep plenty of water in the drip pan. And make sure not to trim too much fat from the flat part of the brisket. I tend to err on the side of more fat than less. I cook hotter than most (around 300) and the flats of my briskets are not too dry.

• Like 1

Will certainly give fat side up a try. Always thought that was a big no-no with eggs.

I use the Thermoworks Smoke. One probe (ambient) clipped just above grate usually near the front left side. Internal probe placed between Point and Flat.

The dome thermometer consistently reads 17 or so degrees hotter than the Smoke grill probe. Not a lot of fluctuation there over last two years between the two independent readings, as far as I can remember.

Internal probe was dead on with my handheld probe Lavatools Javelin. Again, two independant readings.

But yeah, who knows, maybe I need to replace the Smoke probes. I really need to calibrate every thermometer I have, at this point.

That's strange.  You seem to be doing everything right and the smoke is a solid thermometer.  Have you tried calibrating it?  https://www.thermoworks.com/pdf/smoke_calibration_guide_a.pdf

Does the meat ever probe like butter at any point during the cook regardless of what the thermometer reads?

I'm kind of grasping at straws here because it seems like you should be getting better results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mortimer said:

Will certainly give fat side up a try. Always thought that was a big no-no with eggs.

I'd like to hear more on this part; I haven't tried a brisket in my egg yet but my Dad is has a smoker on a trailer so I'm accustomed to assisting when he's doing 1000-1500 lbs for a charity event.  It's always been fat side up there. 

Sounds similar to what I've mentioned on pages way back in the thread. I'm sure the water pan helps but I think there's something to the theory about the heat coming in on the side of the plate setter, as well. Obviously would be more of an issue on an 18.5" like my Primo where a brisket basically touches the lid on both sides at the start vs a bigger one. I'd be curious to hear from those that have never had this problem what size ceramic they have. I also wonder if the fire is just too close to the plate setter. Maybe a half fill would work better. 

I'm not exactly buying briskets left and right to cook for people these days, perhaps in non pandemic times I'll do some experimenting. Next brisket I cook, however, I will be going back to the WSM. 

• Like 1

Are you resting the brisket 1-2 hours on counter uncovered?

ETA I see you’re not. Unless you need to hold it, just pull it and set on counter at least 45 mins, preferably 1-2 hrs

When are you pulling it? Sure it’s not too early?

• Like 1

All five or so briskets so far were Prime.

Will definitely be calibrating/replacing all of my probes - thanks for the link.

I usually try to cook to 203. I probably need to start probing earlier for the butter test. The brisket always - seems - nice and pliable when I lift it off the rack - so much so that I often worry it might fall apart as I place it on the resting tray. I have wondered if I need to probe directly into the meat for testing, rather than punching a hole through the butcher paper (misleading resistance).

I have been letting it sit for about 45 minutes wrapped in the butcher paper on the counter, then wrap in foil before placing in a cooler (sometimes wrapped in a towel) for at least two or so hours - sometimes longer. I'll experiment with letting it sit out longer and without any cover material.

Really appreciate all the incredible feedback. Outstanding. I have some good leads now as far as shaking my routine up. Going to try cutting out the spritzing and, as I mentioned, start the process of calibrating my equipment. Will certainly begin refilling the water pan throughout the cook - that never even occurred to me. May look at how full I'm filling the fire box, to keep better separation between the meat and the heat source.