Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

13 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Sounds similar to what I've mentioned on pages way back in the thread. I'm sure the water pan helps but I think there's something to the theory about the heat coming in on the side of the plate setter, as well. Obviously would be more of an issue on an 18.5" like my Primo where a brisket basically touches the lid on both sides at the start vs a bigger one. I'd be curious to hear from those that have never had this problem what size ceramic they have. I also wonder if the fire is just too close to the plate setter. Maybe a half fill would work better. 

I'm not exactly buying briskets left and right to cook for people these days, perhaps in non pandemic times I'll do some experimenting. Next brisket I cook, however, I will be going back to the WSM. 

So, you have a Primo, a WSM, and the stick burner trailer?  Good to have options.

10 hours ago, Mortimer said:

I usually try to cook to 203. 

This is a red flag for me. You need to start probing tender around 195 every 15min or so. Each will finish at a different temp, Prime usually finishes lower. You might just be overcooking every time.

• Like 1

I keep hearing about these magic briskets that finish sub 200, but I’ve yet to actually see one. Butter probe tends to appear in the 200-203* range quite consistently for me (almost always Prime from Costco) and even then I’m only pulling when the whole thing is done, so some sections are 204-206 by the time I pull and I don’t recall ever thinking those sections were over cooked

• Like 1

Did the pork belly burnt ends yesterday.  No pics.  I basically followed the John Setzler method.  The cook went fine.  Two things I would change next time:  (1) Leave the foil off longer at the end to get some actual bark on the chunks, and (2) come up with a good sauce for the final mix.  I won't tell you what I used, as it may provoke ridicule.

2 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Did the pork belly burnt ends yesterday.  No pics.  I basically followed the John Setzler method.  The cook went fine.  Two things I would change next time:  (1) Leave the foil off longer at the end to get some actual bark on the chunks, and (2) come up with a good sauce for the final mix.  I won't tell you what I used, as it may provoke ridicule.

I've used various barbecue sauces to finish as well as butter, brown sugar, and honey.  Butter, brown sugar, and honey is awesome.  While the basic rib rub that I use on the chunks tastes great, I am going to experiment with a rub with more heat. 

I've been using the BGE like crazy lately. Need to pick up some additional toys for it. Thinking a rack extender or foldable grill grate for adding wood chunks, or perhaps a cast-iron griddle. Suggestions? I've already got the butane, cordless lighter, CyberQ fan/probes, Kick Ash basket and rain cap.

46 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I've used various barbecue sauces to finish as well as butter, brown sugar, and honey.  Butter, brown sugar, and honey is awesome.  While the basic rib rub that I use on the chunks tastes great, I am going to experiment with a rub with more heat. 

I used the Pryles Hard Core Carnivore Red, and didn't think it imparted much flavor, honestly.  I really thought about adding some black pepper but didn't.  Maybe I needed to use more of the rub in the first place.  The meat itself is awesome.

Just got a BGE a few weeks ago- did steaks for the first time tonight.

Did reverse sear, interior of the steak was perfect medium rare, but still not getting the sear I was hoping for. 

Let the steak sit in the fridge dry brining for a couple of hours before the cook. Let it get up to about 550 before putting vegetable oil on the steak and throwing it back on to sear. Basically followed the recipe on amazingribs.com

Amy ideas on what else to do to get a good sear? Might need to find a way to get a skillet on there to sear 

Did reverse sear, interior of the steak was perfect medium rare, but still not getting the sear I was hoping for. 
Let the steak sit in the fridge dry brining for a couple of hours before the cook. Let it get up to about 550 before putting vegetable oil on the steak and throwing it back on to sear. Basically followed the recipe on amazingribs.com

Amy ideas on what else to do to get a good sear? Might need to find a way to get a skillet on there to sear 

You could get the grates to let you cook cowboy style, right on top of the coals.

Or just get the fire super hot before searing. Issue is how to finish if you don’t want black and blue.

I put a cast iron skillet or griddle pan on top of my grates sometimes, and let the iron really get hot for a couple minutes (this is key, you're using the heat capacity of the iron to help you sear), before dropping the steak on for sear. Also, if you're after a really good crust, try a mayo sear.

Horrid phone flash photo, pan sear on a Jr size kamado:

sear.thumb.jpg.f88bbb61720542949e339006d8a7ce76.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BillyMadison said:

You will never get much of a sear on grates. Put a cast iron in there when you crank up the heat and let the steak rest while it gets hot after the reverse sear. Little oil and butter in the cast iron right before you drop the steak back in. Maybe 90 seconds a side and you're done. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 11:30 PM, pops said:

You will never get much of a sear on grates. Put a cast iron in there when you crank up the heat and let the steak rest while it gets hot after the reverse sear. Little oil and butter in the cast iron right before you drop the steak back in. Maybe 90 seconds a side and you're done. 

On 8/9/2020 at 10:17 PM, DDD Dad said:

You could get the grates to let you cook cowboy style, right on top of the coals.

Or just get the fire super hot before searing. Issue is how to finish if you don’t want black and blue.

On 8/9/2020 at 11:08 PM, Sam Lin said:

I put a cast iron skillet or griddle pan on top of my grates sometimes, and let the iron really get hot for a couple minutes (this is key, you're using the heat capacity of the iron to help you sear), before dropping the steak on for sear. Also, if you're after a really good crust, try a mayo sear.

Horrid phone flash photo, pan sear on a Jr size kamado:

sear.thumb.jpg.f88bbb61720542949e339006d8a7ce76.jpg

Awesome - thanks for the replies. Will probably go cast iron next go round.

I’ve had my egg for 14 years and this is the answer. The wife likes the pretty grill marks so sometimes I do steaks on the grate, but nothing sears like cast iron.

I've been using the BGE like crazy lately. Need to pick up some additional toys for it. Thinking a rack extender or foldable grill grate for adding wood chunks, or perhaps a cast-iron griddle. Suggestions? I've already got the butane, cordless lighter, CyberQ fan/probes, Kick Ash basket and rain cap.

8b5133959a1c11d0cb6b161e3d0a0e88.jpg

The packages keep coming

Make sure that's a gen2 iKamand. The gen1 is a totally untrustworthy piece of shit. And you can see the suggestions earlier in the thread for cotton balls dipped in rubbing alcohol as firestarters, if you don't want to run the extension cord for the Looftlighter.

• 4 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Gotta love Amazon.  Just got the Smokeware and put it on.  Feels well made.  

My deal with the original Kamado Joe smoke cap was it was initially hard to turn, got a little easier after the first couple of cooks, then as grease and smoke built up on it, it got impossible to turn, especially when hot.  The Smokeware cap is the perfect solution, so far.  I’ve used it three or four times. 

On 7/7/2020 at 2:11 PM, Dry Elbows said:

@crimsonlonghorn have you tried using a BBQ guru on your BGE to hold temp?

On 7/7/2020 at 7:54 PM, DDD Dad said:

It will change your life.

That and a couple of other add ones that are posted up thread will enhance your enjoyment and ease your cooks.

Got a CyberQ after my Labor Day brisket went to shit due to fluctuating temperatures. Using it today for the first time to do a pork butt and it's amazing how steady the temp is holding. Will report back after we eat tonight but my guess already is that it will be tasty. My only complaint is that the wifi signal doesn't make it all the way to that part of the yard so I have to go into the kitchen and get close and use bluetooth. Guess this means I need to upgrade to a mesh wifi system now. 

IMG_4863.thumb.jpg.3d4759fcf7fe824ce0c2ccacf55c8f59.jpg

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m curious why some BGEs have fluctuating temps. Mine holds very steady over a 9+ hour smoke. It might go lower by 10 degrees over several hours but I’ve never seen a large spike. I’ve had small spikes when the water gets low in my drip pan. If I leave to play golf, or whatever, I just make sure there’s plenty of water in the pan before I leave.

I’m curious why some BGEs have fluctuating temps. Mine holds very steady over a 9+ hour smoke. It might go lower by 10 degrees over several hours but I’ve never seen a large spike. I’ve had small spikes when the water gets low in my drip pan. If I leave to play golf, or whatever, I just make sure there’s plenty of water in the pan before I leave.

It's either air flow or fuel.

I did pulled pork last weekend. Egg was at 250 when i went to bed at midnight, and it was still there when i pulled them to wrap at noon. But i usually clean it out before a long cook. Ash can do funny things.

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

For me it's just inexperience and user error. 

The problem on Labor Day was that I lit too much charcoal at the start and wasn't patient enough to let it heat up slowly. Then it got too hot and then I was constantly opening and closing vents all day trying to get it to get it right and ended up ruining the meat.

This morning I just lit the charcoal in one spot with my propane torch and then followed the directions and let the computer and the fan bring it up to temp slowly. It has been steady now between 250 and 255 for 6 hours straight. 

1 hour ago, Wasting Billables said:

Also having issues with temperature stability. (I have a kick ash basket.) Does it make a difference when lighting the lump to leave the lid and vents open to get a full inferno then close up and set the vents, or waiting for small flames and then close lid and set the vents to where you want? 

I always run wide open until about 50 degrees short of target temp then close shit down. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wasting Billables said:

Also having issues with temperature stability. (I have a kick ash basket.) Does it make a difference when lighting the lump to leave the lid and vents open to get a full inferno then close up and set the vents, or waiting for small flames and then close lid and set the vents to where you want? 

Recommend not going for full inferno before closing down. The thermal mass of ceramics plus coals makes it very slow to lower the temp. As mentioned, set your vents 50-100 under target temp.

I leave lid open about 10 mins, then close lid but leave top and bottom vents full open. Shut both to halfway about 50* short. Then to my target vent positions about 15* short. This is when I briefly open to throw in wood chunks and get final plate in place. After nasty smoke clears I put on meat and expect temp to be below target for 30 mins or so. Only then do I fine tune vents if needed. Within 30 mins I’m pretty locked in and it won’t move much at all

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

And since it's from Costco, i always cook both in the package. It freezes really well after you pull it.

This.  I packed left over cooked pork butt in 1# vacuum sealed packages.  Use them later for pulled pork sandwiches, carnitas tacos or nachos, green chili pork stew, pork fried rice . . .

• Like 1

Pulled the pork butt last night and served it on Hawaiian buns with cole slaw and the Franklin vinegar sauce. Goddam that was some good eating.

My 13 YO son ate three sandwiches after football practice. 

My only complaint was that it was a tiny bit dry, even with the water pan. I probably need to mop it more than I did? But once you put the sauce on it, it was great. 

• Like 1