Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

Cross posting - thoughts on this? I do not think I would use this for smoking hardly ever with 2 WSMs and my trailer. But I think I would use it for pizzas and maybe steaks, etc. Seems like too good of a deal to pass up. Picture of actual cooker below. It's my buddy selling it because he found a great deal on it and then found an even better deal on an Oval XL. 

41702304365_314d0527b7_z.jpg

Cross posting - thoughts on this? I do not think I would use this for smoking hardly ever with 2 WSMs and my trailer. But I think I would use it for pizzas and maybe steaks, etc. Seems like too good of a deal to pass up. Picture of actual cooker below. It's my buddy selling it because he found a great deal on it and then found an even better deal on an Oval XL. 
41702304365_314d0527b7_z.jpg

Get a pizza oven
https://pizzapartyshop.com/en/
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 6:42 PM, Baboontyme said:

If all you're doing is grilling on it and doing pizza, I think, if it were I, I'd opt for a Weber Kettle and save the money.  It won't get as hot, but it gets hot enough to sear. 

How many times do I need to keep the BGE under 450degF to break in the seal?

I've grilled burgers and chicken maybe 5 times so far and I'm beyond impressed with the output. I started on an offset smoker (I did mostly grilling on the firebox side) for 9 years before moving and the new house had a stainless steel propane.  I am amazed at how evenly I am grilling the food now.  And the end product is as good as I've ever done.

But I have yet to get it super hot to do a steak...  nor smoke but I need to get the smoking plate.

Also -> thoughts on getting a cast iron grill instead of the stainless one?

On 6/7/2018 at 2:25 PM, dcbc said:

If all you're doing is grilling on it and doing pizza, I think, if it were I, I'd opt for a Weber Kettle and save the money.  It won't get as hot, but it gets hot enough to sear. 

Started playing around with an old grate and my chimney starter.  Reverse sear, then place on top of that roaring jet flame.  Like putting steaks under the broiler.  And it's fast.  Agree on the Webber kettle.  I have a smaller one that is fantastic for tailgating with burgers/dogs/sausage.    

*assuming I'm not using my cast iron, which accounts for 90+& of all the steaks/venison/axis I do now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Vision grills are great.  Not sure about this, however.  Seems like a solution looking for a problem?  If you want a gas grill for the speed and efficiency of the grill firing up, then just get a MAPP torch and/or a chimney starter.  Both will have your egg roaring hot in no time.  Then close all the vents when done and you can reuse the lump.  

Ok gents...I’m close to needing to decide to go L or XL BGE. 

Ill typically be cooking for four to six people. I do not want two. (At this point)

I’ve read people get a better cook on the L but people also love the XL space.

Can anyone make this an easy decision for me?

Appreciate the thoughts.

\m/

Edited by Tailgate

19 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Ok gents...I’m close to needing to decide to go L or XL BGE. 

Ill typically be cooking for four to six people. I do not want two. (At this point)

I’ve read people get a better cook on the L but people also love the XL space.

Can anyone make this an easy decision for me?

Appreciate the thoughts.

\m/

I've had mine barely a month (BGE L) and I love it.  I grilled on Sunday; burgers and chicken legs/thighs.  I had to do 2 iterations but that didn't upset me.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 10:00 AM, BabaYaga said:

Cast iron holds heat better.  It's not a game changer, but everyone I know that has gone that route will never go back.  

Is the cast iron harder to keep clean?  My previous grill/offset smoker was expanded metal and I miss that only because I have some good memories on that bad boy.

3 minutes ago, RD3 said:

Is the cast iron harder to keep clean?  My previous grill/offset smoker was expanded metal and I miss that only because I have some good memories on that bad boy.

Not if you stay on top of it.  If you clean your grates every couple of months, it doesn't matter what they are made of.  They'll be a pain.  Find a good galvanized tub that is the right width and give them a good soak/scrub every now and then along with regular scraping/brushing after use.  

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Not if you stay on top of it.  If you clean your grates every couple of months, it doesn't matter what they are made of.  They'll be a pain.  Find a good galvanized tub that is the right width and give them a good soak/scrub every now and then along with regular scraping/brushing after use.  

I have used my stainless steel one it came with and I'm impressed how clean it is.  I have a wireless scraper that I use and this is pretty clean.  I'm guessing the high heat...

• Like 1

In the process of replacing the gasket on mine, I warped the hinge so the lid isn't aligned like it used to be.  I'm extremely unhandy at metal work and I can't find a replacement hinge online.  We're about to move back to Central Texas so I was thinking about just taking the parts to a BGE dealer and getting them to reassemble it with a new hinge.  Any other ideas out there?

When smoking a brisket on the BGE do you guys do fat cap up or down?

I will be doing my 3rd brisket on my BGE next week and wanted to try something different.  My first two I followed Franklin's method and got a great bark and really great flavors. However, I only obtained a smoke ring along the edges of the brisket and felt that the bottom was slightly dried out and crispy.  I use the plate setter and a water bath, maintained a 225-250 temp, wrapped with butcher paper after the stall at around 165 and pulled at 203.  I was wondering if fat cap down would prevent the bottom from getting crispy and would develop a better smoke ring.  

On 6/27/2018 at 9:33 AM, mr. sunshine said:

In the process of replacing the gasket on mine, I warped the hinge so the lid isn't aligned like it used to be.  I'm extremely unhandy at metal work and I can't find a replacement hinge online.  We're about to move back to Central Texas so I was thinking about just taking the parts to a BGE dealer and getting them to reassemble it with a new hinge.  Any other ideas out there?

I replaced my hinge in the last two years or so because I bent mine (because I disassembled it and took it to a tailgate). The new bands/hinge are a better design and a cinch to put on because they give you these little plastic tabs to make sure it's aligned right. I'd call BGE and see if they'll replace the hinge, and if not order one (I think they are $100 or so).

Edited by Buzzrock

I was wondering if fat cap down would prevent the bottom from getting crispy and would develop a better smoke ring.  

It is my opinion that as great as the BGE is, smoke ring is not something it does well. Can’t give you a scientific reason though.

I'm not sure there's a big difference but lately I have been doing fat side down on my egg. I like the results. I get a small smoke ring on parts of the brisket but as others said above the egg is not known for producing a distinctive smoke ring. It doesn't bother me.

3 hours ago, HouTex said:

I'm not sure there's a big difference but lately I have been doing fat side down on my egg. I like the results. I get a small smoke ring on parts of the brisket but as others said above the egg is not known for producing a distinctive smoke ring. It doesn't bother me.

Fat up or down doesn't impact a smoke ring.  Temp does.  You need a low initial cooking temp, moisture (spritz every now and then) and cold meat.  Refrigerate and season the day prior, wrap in plastic wrap, put on cold/cool.  The smoke ring is from nitrous oxide reacting with myoglobin in the muscle tissue.  The fire generates nitrous oxide and carbon monoxide that both have this effect.  Tender quick, pink salt both have nitrite in it that breaks down to nitrous oxide and is a way to "cheat" when added to rub.

Picked up a small 9 lbs prime brisket for tomorrow. It'll probably trim down to 7 1/2 - 8 lbs.  I've cooked plenty of briskets but every single one has been over 12 lbs.  Should a tiny brisket be treated the same as a normal sized one? I don't want to dry it out so I will probably put foil under the flat to protect it a bit and use a water pan.  I usually set the egg at 275. Should I cook it hotter? Lower? Anybody experienced with a smaller size feel free to chime in. I won't judge.

15 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Picked up a small 9 lbs prime brisket for tomorrow. It'll probably trim down to 7 1/2 - 8 lbs.  I've cooked plenty of briskets but every single one has been over 12 lbs.  Should a tiny brisket be treated the same as a normal sized one? I don't want to dry it out so I will probably put foil under the flat to protect it a bit and use a water pan.  I usually set the egg at 275. Should I cook it hotter? Lower? Anybody experienced with a smaller size feel free to chime in. I won't judge.

I usually cook smaller (<11lb) briskets because it’s usually just me, the wife (no pics), and our 3yo that eat it.  Treat it just like you would a larger brisket.  For both small and large, I use foil and a water pan.  I cook mine at 225*, and to dcbc’s point, the little ones can take a loooong time for some reason.  This one was 8lbs and took almost 16 hours.  It was fantastic.

42393725454_4a53ac707f_z.jpg

43061872862_4a0ae9db96_z.jpg

In contrast, the last 16lb’er I cooked took like 22 hours, so faster in hr/lb.

• Like 1

Looking good. Put it on at 7:15am at 250. Hit the stall at 11:30 and 168 internal. Took off again around 2:30. I upped the temp to 275. Just probed it at 4:45 and it’s 197 internal. Flat is tender. Point has a bit to go. I’m pulling sometime between 5:39-6 since we will have some neighbors over.

d816919f0a699167a8d0a6382ff0a31a.jpg

2 hours ago, Dontshootrude said:

That was me. I still love mine and use it several times a week.

Thanks rude. You were the main reason I considered this, your pics on the old board were glorious. I am picking it up this week. Any thoughts on why Primo is a good/bad version compared to BGE/KJ etc or why the Large vs. the Oval will be ok/suck? I would not need to do any large cooks on it I don't think. 

My longest run on a single bowl of lump is 27 hours.  Still enough left over that after i closed all the vents, there was enough left to start back up a few days later and grill a few hamburger patties.  

Any thoughts on why Primo is a good/bad version compared to BGE/KJ etc or why the Large vs. the Oval will be ok/suck? I would not need to do any large cooks on it I don't think. 

I have the large KJ.  Before a Vision.  Neighbor has the XL Oval Primo.  That things' a beast.  Were I able to do it all over again, that's the route I'd go.  In terms of quality, Primo & BGE are identical.  But that extra surface area of the Primo oval, especially if you have double racks - that's great to have.  Oval > round.  If you want to have two zones for cooking, you have that option also.  

On 7/2/2018 at 9:35 AM, BabaYaga said:

My longest run on a single bowl of lump is 27 hours.  Still enough left over that after i closed all the vents, there was enough left to start back up a few days later and grill a few hamburger patties.  

I have the large KJ.  Before a Vision.  Neighbor has the XL Oval Primo.  That things' a beast.  Were I able to do it all over again, that's the route I'd go.  In terms of quality, Primo & BGE are identical.  But that extra surface area of the Primo oval, especially if you have double racks - that's great to have.  Oval > round.  If you want to have two zones for cooking, you have that option also.  

These are my thoughts as well. I have zero regrets getting an Oval XL.

I’ve had this boneless boudin-stuffed chicken in the freezer for a few months so we decided to throw the sucker on the BGE this afternoon. I didn’t realize it was boneless until we were cutting it open. I would smoked it instead of roasting it. Skin was crispy but the meat was a bit dry. Tasted pretty good. 09c380370fc1e88ab71c3d71f7ec18ec.jpg8c2363984507767e4273ed7a06e8f71f.jpg

Just attended a BBQ where a brisket was cooked on a BGE.  Looked great, but the host/cook started doing all sorts of interesting  bark reducing things while slicing it.  Just before he threw what he'd shaved off into the trash, I shamelessly asked him to put it into a ziplock for me to take home.  Managed to find some barked up pieces spared on the serving plate.  Pretty good stuff.  Just got home and tasted my doggy bag and I feel like I stole from someone.  Good stuff.