Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

On 3/8/2021 at 3:13 PM, Buzzrock said:

This post could go in many threads but I’m a BGE guy. I’m looking for new remote probes. All I have now is the BBQ Guru CyberQ which is sometimes a hassle to set up for short cooks. What do y’all like?

I switched from CyberQ to a Fireboard a few months ago and love it. Great product. 

I also have a couple of wireless Meaters for when I use the rotisserie and I am less enamored with those, but when they work they work really well.

On 3/8/2021 at 3:13 PM, Buzzrock said:

This post could go in many threads but I’m a BGE guy. I’m looking for new remote probes. All I have now is the BBQ Guru CyberQ which is sometimes a hassle to set up for short cooks. What do y’all like?

I pair my Fireboard with the BBQ Guru Pit Viper Fan.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If we're talking temp controllers, I really like the Smobot, passive damper control instead of a fan. Less power consumption due to being a static servo instead of always driving a fan, allows you to do long cooks off a powerbank, no need to plug in power. Repeated testing shows the coal burns longer (more efficiently) using natural convection instead of fan forced air. No disagreement that the Fireboard (and Flameboss) are the more "refined" looking product though.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the DigiQ and the spitfire or whatever fan - I love it for doing long brisket cooks but I am really missing the WiFi connection so I can monitor from my phone. Would that solve the problem?

Also, posted in the beef rib thread but damn, I really do love my vision Kamado... beef ribs and turkey breast 

B3C6C9FE-1E2E-4C01-B834-6B0D123966A3.jpeg

995CF68A-D497-4F7C-8140-0A1866F2099D.jpeg

CA25B088-9611-4DFE-BE1D-DD0936484DE8.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Fuck. That looks perfect.

That was a first time effort for the beef ribs (turkey is easy as fuck and delicious btw). I kept seeing recipes calling them to cook for 6-8 hours+... I’m not sure if it’s the Kamado or what but this ~4 lb set of ribs took about 5 hours at 285. A buddy of mine did some a few weeks ago at 225 and took them off at 4 hours. I was kinda surprised by how quickly they cooked, especially being beef, but damn it was easy and the results were fuckin delicious. Wrapped after 3.5 hours and they were probing like butter at 4.5-5 hours. 

I must say, the probes for my BBQ guru lasted only about 6 cooks before shitting out. My grill temp probe was telling the app the temp was around what it should be (~250) but when id go check it myself the dome lid was at like 380, which it's never been that far off. With my other temp probes the lid has been consistently about 40 degrees hotter than what it actually is. I pulled out my old thermometer and sure enough it was like 380 and essentially turned the bottom of my brisket into jerky. I say all that to ask if it's worth buying the "premium" probes from bbq guru that are supposed to be more durable or save myself the $50 and go another brand?  

On 3/27/2021 at 9:45 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

I bought the DigiQ and the spitfire or whatever fan - I love it for doing long brisket cooks but I am really missing the WiFi connection so I can monitor from my phone. Would that solve the problem?

Also, posted in the beef rib thread but damn, I really do love my vision Kamado... beef ribs and turkey breast 

B3C6C9FE-1E2E-4C01-B834-6B0D123966A3.jpeg

995CF68A-D497-4F7C-8140-0A1866F2099D.jpeg

CA25B088-9611-4DFE-BE1D-DD0936484DE8.jpeg

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the Fireboard soon.  My CyberQ has Wi-Fi but it's a bitch to set up.  I've never actually done it in the 5+ years since I had it (my old version does not plug and play like newer products do).

Doing an Easter prime rib on the Joetisserie this morning for lunch.

Starting it a little bit lower temp at 275 so it doesn't cook too fast while I'm at church. If things go right I'll pump up the temp when I get home to about 400 and it will sear the outside and finish cooking the inside to about 125-130. 

Fireboard don't fail me now. 

IMG_5774.thumb.jpg.c9e19f992e53e950af46e270812dee6f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Did your grill come with the wooden shelves or did you add those? I have that same vision Kamado. 

Wooden shelves came with it.  I think I got it at Home Depot for $500 with the cradle, shelves, and cover.  Added some accessories from the Ceramic Grill Store, the Fireboard and a BBQGuru fan, and a Joetiessorie.  Couldn't be happier with it.

Did a full picanha "roast" yesterday that turned out incredibly well. Super tender, beefy beefy flavor.

Wagyu picanha mb3.

196386745_carrarawagyupicahnamb3.thumb.jpg.8c2670df4ed2641541c372623adeea8f.jpg

Rub the meat side with salt, pepper, garlic powder (roughly 1:0.7:0.5 by weight). Score the fat side deeply and rub liberally with coarse salt - this was sort of an attempt to dry and crisp the fat. Let it dry brine at least overnight in fridge, 2 days is fine as well.

rub.jpg.5c5ef6c75d418dfab84dcbf93830e945.jpg

1349108058_fatsidescoreandsalt.jpg.6ae8952180d1dd15e3a801434ec0cdef.jpg

Scrape the salt off the fat cap using a knife or spoon. Start a fire, don't need a huge one as you're going low temp. I buried a few chunks of hickory. Deflectors low, foil "drip pan" on second level. It actually dripped very little because cook temp stayed so low. Temps rode right under 190F the whole time, including through a torrential downpour. Fat towards the heat, which in a kamado means fat down. Smoke at low temp until internal temp hits 120F.

smoke.jpg.179c818125aa0acda6c58e6c6c37bfc4.jpg  493903915_tempupdate.thumb.png.bff896bd642032d3835b878c38c7f900.png

Then the fun part, sear. Pull the meat off and let it sit while the kamado heats up. Open the vents and go for broke. Stuck 2 giant skewers through the thing, pulled out the deflector and grate on one side, and put the meat down next to the coals. I'd started the fire with a divider in, planning to do this, so half the fire basket was empty to hold the meat. I really dislike the 'dirty' smoke taste when fat drips and burns, so this is how I get a good sear while keeping drippings out of the fire. You can see the lower half of the fat cap has turned yellowish, that's where it has crisped up and bubbled, just like a pork skin. Rotate and sear all sides.

1534871496_sidesear.thumb.jpg.7419113a857d6fe13d3f0d3151eb7156.jpg  1773088562_searfleshside.thumb.jpg.8573e15ac30370b3971102f7f6c487a4.jpg

Resulting fat cap:

2037543819_fatcapseared.thumb.jpg.b398514d88a1d94869872888ebe37298.jpg

Slice and serve. Super tender, great flavor.

slice.thumb.jpg.519978ecd9549ed2357608681d86fa60.jpg

Edit: Video showing the fat cap sizzling. Sorry for the AC unit droning on audio, otherwise the sizzle sounds great. Video link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6dApWq6fU5YoKooq7

Edited by Sam Lin
add video link
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

Question for y’all: when you do brisket, so you cook fat side up or down? I’ve always done fat side up, but did fat side down on my cook last night and between that difference and a few other things, it was easily the best brisket I’ve made yet. I had to flip it while cutting but the bark still stayed intact pretty well when I flipped it back. I couldn’t tell if there was any difference in the fat being rendered or anything though. 

740667FE-DD9F-4D00-BBE1-7F607C8BB434.jpeg

9E6A767D-5AB2-4FC7-91FF-B1DD13FBDF4F.jpeg

E763C499-0112-460E-8ECD-1F274E2373C6.jpeg

B0EC2466-0BCD-48F8-93EB-9C37ECE8CC5A.jpeg

Question for y’all: when you do brisket, so you cook fat side up or down? I’ve always done fat side up, but did fat side down on my cook last night and between that difference and a few other things, it was easily the best brisket I’ve made yet. I had to flip it while cutting but the bark still stayed intact pretty well when I flipped it back. I couldn’t tell if there was any difference in the fat being rendered or anything though. 
740667FE-DD9F-4D00-BBE1-7F607C8BB434.thumb.jpeg.7e70b6d32a87218f9f33fbb3a85fd9c5.jpeg
9E6A767D-5AB2-4FC7-91FF-B1DD13FBDF4F.thumb.jpeg.83aaae1eee47a3102295be19483b2b2c.jpeg
E763C499-0112-460E-8ECD-1F274E2373C6.thumb.jpeg.a60a8b6f229a2365764ba3bea8a0ea52.jpeg
B0EC2466-0BCD-48F8-93EB-9C37ECE8CC5A.thumb.jpeg.dccdb07db7523d159702038a6b4b4900.jpeg

Fat down on the egg.

10 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I have to try that next time.  I cooked on this weekend and the bottom of the flat was way over cooked.

This last one was the first I’d cooked fat down (also I’ve seen elsewhere to have point facing the back of grill?) It was by far the moistest brisket I’ve done yet with the other 2-3 all done fat side up. I’d recommend. 

49 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

(also I’ve seen elsewhere to have point facing the back of grill?) 

There is some truth to this, intake is at bottom front, so the air currents tend to suck in and run up the rear of the kamado. It's not truly even heat in there. That said, the difference is pretty minor. (That also means I light the front edge of the coals for a low and slow cook, the air current helps push the flame front through the full coal load.)

Kamado Joe's new gen has a lower air guide called the Slo Roller that is designed to circulate the air much more evenly inside the Kamado. I have no experience with it.

If you know any local woodworkers, that's really the way to go. Have them make you something custom, fit to your space and needs, save on shipping a big table. The purchased options are all incredibly expensive. You could try asking around a local Woodcraft store if you don't know some woodworkers already.

If you know any local woodworkers, that's really the way to go. Have them make you something custom, fit to your space and needs, save on shipping a big table. The purchased options are all incredibly expensive. You could try asking around a local Woodcraft store if you don't know some woodworkers already.
I actually might go with the BGE Acacia wood table. $500 is about as cheap as they come.

37 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I have the large BGE.  My aunt is giving me her XL.  My large has a really nice table a buddy of mine made for me.  I think I can just cut a larger hole and slide it in.

I guess I will just sell my large.  It is in good condition.

Why not keep the large?  Would be better to have for smaller cooks.  Unless your large table is extra wide, the XL likely won't fit in it.  I just got the BGE wood table over the weekend and it's too narrow to fit the XL by a few inches.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Why not keep the large?  Would be better to have for smaller cooks.  Unless your large table is extra wide, the XL likely won't fit in it.  I just got the BGE wood table over the weekend and it's too narrow to fit the XL by a few inches.

Mainly because I have a gas grill, a griddle, and an egg.  And I would prefer my back yard not look like a Home Depot entrance with 4 different cooking devices.  I am giving away the gas grill.  Want to get down to one egg and the griddle. 

My family has two ranches. Each have two very good stick burning smokers.  Got nowhere for the egg to go.

22 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Mainly because I have a gas grill, a griddle, and an egg.  And I would prefer my back yard not look like a Home Depot entrance with 4 different cooking devices.  I am giving away the gas grill.  Want to get down to one egg and the griddle. 

My family has two ranches. Each have two very good stick burning smokers.  Got nowhere for the egg to go.

I wouldn't give up my large.  There are only a couple times a year where an XL's increased size would be a benefit.  The other times it would be annoying.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s another question for y’all... last time I did a brisket I cooked it fat down and it was far superior to any other brisket I’ve done. Do y’all then flip it to cut so the fats on top? It fucked up my presentation but cutting with fat down was damn near impossible. 

On 4/27/2021 at 4:45 PM, Johnny Sack said:

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Here’s another question for y’all... last time I did a brisket I cooked it fat down and it was far superior to any other brisket I’ve done. Do y’all then flip it to cut so the fats on top? It fucked up my presentation but cutting with fat down was damn near impossible. 

Never had a problem cutting fat side down.  Are you trimming any of the fat cap before you cook?

41 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Never had a problem cutting fat side down.  Are you trimming any of the fat cap before you cook?

After a couple just ok attempts, I left a little bit more fat on than usual which probably contributed to this, but it wasn’t a crazy amount of fat. Mostly it just seemed more stable when I put the meat side down to cut and didn’t fall apart. Could’ve also been that I just needed to sharpen my knife a little more. 

• 2 weeks later...

Prime Picanha Roast

S&P and whatever rub you want

Indirect at 250 to 120 internal temp
Pull and rest while cranking up direct heat to 500
Seared direct 90 seconds/side

1.5 hour total cook time.

Holy hell this came out good. Such a kickass cut of meat. No chimichurri sauce, just some mashed potatoes on the side.

61ebbc697a53ae2356b4b0d6b8b97444.jpg04cf8cabb887702b359619ec856a2821.jpga37f0c39252daf2ad8bd6d314e8c3e75.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Dry aged wagyu porterhouse. Salted 1.5hr ahead and left out on counter. Also added garlic powder and pepper after this photo.

salted.thumb.jpg.65d31dc41146f34c941adcb3e8639926.jpg

Reverse sear 275f for about 30min (would have gone lower but I needed some heat for the roasting items), I pulled it at 118 internal. Pouches on the right are Japanese beni haru sweet potatoes and roasted heads of garlic. Additional sweet potatoes were put down in the firebox, firebox divider was in so coals were in one side and potatoes the other side. Threw a half handful of apple chips down through the grates when I put the meat on. Smoke lasted only a few minutes as chips burn off so quickly. Not sure it did anything, but looked cool? Was too lazy to lift the grate to put a lump of wood in for longer smoke.

smoking.thumb.jpg.cb37212f99659149270d4b46ae807e41.jpg

Rested 25min while Jr kamado warmed up. Seared for 2min per side, somewhere around 500F.

1418066852_aftersear.thumb.jpg.121c88b8041c3bcf3abdeffb11c19212.jpg

Everything done, time to eat:

363982843_readytoeat.thumb.jpg.6adb0eb6db8209a124dc563f801b5e15.jpg     sliced.thumb.jpg.b1069b58ba1eee2c3cda40d774b806ac.jpg

This was one of the better steaks I've done.

• Like 2

I would use that XL a few times before getting rid of the Large. I’ve had a Large for 15 years and I’ve cooked on my BIL’s XL a few times and it’s just different. The geometry isn’t the same (it’s not as vertical) and I had a hard time getting it really hot. Personally I’d look into selling the XL and getting a Traeger to go with the Large BGE if it was me.