Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

• 2 weeks later...

Well overdue, but would like to enter the bbq/smoking arena at home. I’ve been lazy and just gas grilled for years, but am interested in learning ribs and briskets.

For a beginner, should I be looking at one of these drum smokers, a pellet grill or something else? Not trying to spend more than $500, but would prefer to not have to buy multiple because I went cheap up front.

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

Well overdue, but would like to enter the bbq/smoking arena at home. I’ve been lazy and just gas grilled for years, but am interested in learning ribs and briskets.

For a beginner, should I be looking at one of these drum smokers, a pellet grill or something else? Not trying to spend more than $500, but would prefer to not have to buy multiple because I went cheap up front.

I’ve got a Traeger pellet grill ($650 from Costco) and I built a drum smoker about 6 months ago. Drum smoker is amazing and cost me about $100 to build. Traeger is nice because I can just set it and forget it. Smoke flavor from drum is great for long cooks. If I’m grilling something over 2 hours, I’ll use the drum. For less than 2 hours, I’ll use the Traeger.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

My Weber and my stick burner are about to take a trip to the country.

Before you send them on, be aware WSM or stick burners are both better smokers than kamados. The efficiency of the kamado hurts it as a smoker; you simply don't get the air/smoke flow that a vertical/horizontal smoker has, and it makes a difference on bark, smoke flavor, as well as smoke ring. You'll see a lot of comments in this thread and all around the internet where kamado people comment that they have trouble matching their WSM results on briskets and ribs. This is the main reason. (Also the reason for my WSM rec for Enchubben a few posts back - it's just the better tool for briskets/ribs, and cheaper than a kamado to boot.)

Where the kamado excels is flexibility (low and slow, hot and fast, even hotter and even faster, and super-sear) and stability.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Before you send them on, be aware WSM or stick burners are both better smokers than kamados. The efficiency of the kamado hurts it as a smoker; you simply don't get the air/smoke flow that a vertical/horizontal smoker has, and it makes a difference on bark, smoke flavor, as well as smoke ring. You'll see a lot of comments in this thread and all around the internet where kamado people comment that they have trouble matching their WSM results on briskets and ribs. This is the main reason. (Also the reason for my WSM rec for Enchubben a few posts back - it's just the better tool for briskets/ribs, and cheaper than a kamado to boot.)
Where the kamado excels is flexibility (low and slow, hot and fast, even hotter and even faster, and super-sear) and stability.

I know more than you. Thanks.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Bro in law came over and brought a Flame Boss blower deal that connected to the bottom of my egg.

Best brisket I’ve ever had come of my BGE. Looking at the data map after the 11 or 12-hour cook was awesome. Thing held temp like a champion. 

Ordered one from the Flame Boss web site. No tax and free shipping. Can’t wait to try it again and hope for anything remotely close. So nice to not have to bird dog the temp gauge all night. Will take pics when I do my next one.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

What are you wanting to achieve from the change?

Couple thoughts.

How is the Rectec at quick heatup and grilling? (I don't have any experience myself.) If it heats up and holds temp quickly, I'd be tempted to say keep the Rectec and sell the Weber Spirit. Both should give you easy startup and temp control, and grilling over wood, even if pellet, will give more flavor than gas. That covers your "quick lazy grilling" and your "lower temp grilling (<400F)" needs.

For the Kamado Joe family:

No real reason to pay up for the C2/C3, in my opinion. The main difference is the air lift hinge, and the Classic lid simply isn't heavy and doesn't need it at all. Test lift it in the store 10-20x and see how you feel. The airlift hinge also required they add the front latch, and it's a cheesy piece of shit that goes out of adjustment or just flat breaks off. The new Kontrol Tower top vent is also garbage, the paint peels and flakes onto your foot, it gets gunked up and sticks, and in cold ambient it drips black gunk down the outside of your Kamado. IF you go C2/C3, the popular upgrade for the Kontrol Tower is the Smokeware cap. I personally much prefer the gen1 daisy wheel - only downside is rain can get in, so I invert a metal bowl over it for uncovered storage. When cooking it's a non-issue, not enough rain gets in against the thermal updraft when cooking. The real C3 benefits over C2 and C1 are the Slo-Roller circulation insert for low and slow, and the three-layer cooking racks. Slo-Roller is completely optional, it also uses shitty peeling paint, and it is aluminum and many users have accidentally let fires get out of control and melted it. It can be added to a C1 for far less than the cost of a C3. Specific for you, you have the low and slow better covered with your WSM, zero reason to ever use the Slo Roller. The C2/C3 used to be an upgrade on the aluminum side shelves, but now all models come with the aluminum side shelves.

Going further, what I would actually recommend is stepping up to a Big Joe. Same comparison of BJ1 and BJ2/3 as the Classic above, with the caveat that the BJ1 lid is obviously heavier. But, I cook on a BJ1 and the weight doesn't bother me at all. If you can handle the BJ1 lid weight, what I feel is the best value with the Kamados is a BJ1 paired with a Joe Jr. You get the BJ big space for larger cooks as well as space for smaller cooks with divided cooking zones, and you get the Jr for smaller cooks, hot fast grilling, and super searing. Don't underestimate the Jr. It will do everything the big ones do as long as the food fits. I use mine probably 75% of the time, even cooking for 4. For reverse sear, run both together; low and slow on the BJ and then move to the Jr to sear. Faster and uses far less fuel compared to waiting for the BJ to raise temps to sear, lets you run all sorts of low and slow foods together while not messing up your temps for some foods just to sear others.

BJ1 is $1000 at Walmart, Jr is $300. Buying both is less than the price of a C3 alone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 11:51 AM, Spur08 said:

I have a 22" WSM, Weber spirit gas, Ooni Pro, and Rectec 700.  I'm thinking about selling my Rectec and getting a Kamado Joe Classic III and Fireboard Drive 2 (for both WSM and KJ).  Talk me out of it it.

I love my Kamodo.  It cooks hot.  Mine just does.  Used to bother me until I learned that Franklin smokes hot also:  285-ish degrees.  A dual-probe is a must have.  Never used an external fan or temp regulator, but many love them.  

They take a little time to get used to and "dial in", but once you do they are money.  I've done 20+hr smokes on mine without ever having to add more lump.  I like being able to put in large pieces of cured oak/hickory.  I have an offset as well that a friend gave me.  It was his dads so it's kind of cool that it lives on.  Oak/lump mixtures on it are fantastic as well.  So far only done pork ribs and a butt on it (offset), but the flavor is amazing.

1826830507_porkbuttoffset.thumb.JPG.844805b88bb0c5ef806e14f546ca3303.JPG787810988_porkribs.thumb.jpg.1cd97bb0728c10564c1604031c97b3a7.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 9/12/2021 at 11:16 PM, Sam Lin said:

What are you wanting to achieve from the change?

Couple thoughts.

How is the Rectec at quick heatup and grilling? (I don't have any experience myself.) If it heats up and holds temp quickly, I'd be tempted to say keep the Rectec and sell the Weber Spirit. Both should give you easy startup and temp control, and grilling over wood, even if pellet, will give more flavor than gas. That covers your "quick lazy grilling" and your "lower temp grilling (<400F)" needs.

Rectec sucks as a grill.  It maxes out at 500* and the heat conductivity is just really poor.  As a smoker, it's okay.  You have the set it and forget aspect but the smoke flavor isn't there, even with tubes.  I was looking at a Lonestar Grillz insulated cabinet but that's some serious coin ($5K for what I wanted).  The Kamado seems like something that won't get me shot by my wife.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Spur08 said:

Rectec sucks as a grill.  It maxes out at 500* and the heat conductivity is just really poor.  As a smoker, it's okay.  You have the set it and forget aspect but the smoke flavor isn't there, even with tubes.  I was looking at a Lonestar Grillz insulated cabinet but that's some serious coin ($5K for what I wanted).  The Kamado seems like something that won't get me shot by my wife.  

Size was a bigger factor than cost for me.  Nothing with a license plate was what I was told, and I turned down a screaming good deal on a trailer rig because of that.  They like the food, but want to be able to hide it when not in use.  YMMV.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

I have a good opportunity for a Ceramic (name / brand not specified).  $ 150.00.  Drip to San Marcos ain't a bad run for that kinda savings.

Are any of you able to ID this by pics alone?

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Not sure about the brand, but that ceramic has a ton of cracks in it. The lid and the cooking chamber. Hard pass.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Not sure about the brand, but that ceramic has a ton of cracks in it. The lid and the cooking chamber. Hard pass.

2 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Good catch; @ a first quick look it appeared to be grass that was somehow on the underside of the lid.  Zipping on by.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Smoking a couple of Chuck roasts for the first time. About 2 hours in. I’ll probably spritz with some Apple cider vinegar and wrap at 170. Gonna treat it like a brisket I guess. Cook until 203 internal. Figure they’ll take about 6 hours total.

0cec5e672b7efbb010541b0beb05089f.jpg

I actually did this on Sunday just for the hell of it. Did the same as you, treated like brisket and it was on the smoker for right around 6 hours. Came out better than I thought it would. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I like to smoke them for 3-4 hours, then put them in a steam tray pan with onions and Hatch chiles.  Add beef broth to cover the onions/chiles on the bottom of the pan, cover with aluminum foil and then back on the smoker or in the oven to braise for a couple of hours.  Shred the beef, de-fat the drippings and make gravy or just use as au jus.

• Like 1

Gonna need someone to learn me on smoking a turkey on one of these bad boys. Cooking my first whole turkey, and my in laws will be joining, so obviously I don’t want to fuck it up. I have a 16# bird. So far I’ve gathered that smoking at 300 may be the best option as going 225 would take forever, but I am open to any and all methods and tips. I plan to do a wet brine before, so really just needing cooking tips here. 

10 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Gonna need someone to learn me on smoking a turkey on one of these bad boys. Cooking my first whole turkey, and my in laws will be joining, so obviously I don’t want to fuck it up. I have a 16# bird. So far I’ve gathered that smoking at 300 may be the best option as going 225 would take forever, but I am open to any and all methods and tips. I plan to do a wet brine before, so really just needing cooking tips here. 

One word.  Spatchcock.

• Hook 'Em 1

More words.  Take the backbone out before you brine so you can use it along with the wingtips and other trimmings (and giblets) that you will use to make gravy with.  (Brined turkey drippings are too salty to make gravy with.)  You don't have to smash the bird totally flat, but it is nice if you can cut out the center breast cartilage after brining, but before smoking -- makes for nicer breast slices.  My personal preference is to take the skin off of the turkey before smoking (ala Aaron Franklin) so that you have a nice mahogany bird that doesn't look naked under the skin, but YMMV.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1

Smoking a couple of Chuck roasts for the first time. About 2 hours in. I’ll probably spritz with some Apple cider vinegar and wrap at 170. Gonna treat it like a brisket I guess. Cook until 203 internal. Figure they’ll take about 6 hours total.

0cec5e672b7efbb010541b0beb05089f.jpg

203 is way too long for smoked Chuck roast in my experience. I’d start probing around 190 and be ready to pull at 195.

3 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

More words.  Take the backbone out before you brine so you can use it along with the wingtips and other trimmings (and giblets) that you will use to make gravy with.  (Brined turkey drippings are too salty to make gravy with.)  You don't have to smash the bird totally flat, but it is nice if you can cut out the center breast cartilage after brining, but before smoking -- makes for nicer breast slices.  My personal preference is to take the skin off of the turkey before smoking (ala Aaron Franklin) so that you have a nice mahogany bird that doesn't look naked under the skin, but YMMV.

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/butterflied-turkey-salted/

10 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I've always done a whole turkey (not spatchcocked but people swear by that method) and use Franklin's guide, which is fairly simple. Brine, salt/pepper, lots of butter, pan for the turkey to sit in, good smoke. Always turns out great. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I've tried spatchcocking and dry brining, but the Franklin method has worked best for me.  First time was with a frozen turkey that had been in my freezer over a year - turned out great (better than the fresh, dry brined, and spatchcocked turkey).  I usually do 2 or 3 turkeys at or right after Thanksgiving with this method. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Cooked up the last of my lamb racks/lamb chops for New Year weekend. Dry brine overnight.

Herb rub (randomly threw together rosemary, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne), smoke with a bit of apple to about 120F:

smoked.thumb.JPG.8b8cb512645504ffb48f4b252f07beb1.JPG

'Gentle' sear, render some fat, let the fat bring some of the herb flavors out, and build some crust. I say gentle because locals are quite afraid of burnt bits, thinking they are instant cancer, so I keep temps lower and sear carefully, moving around often to avoid burnt edges.

seared.thumb.JPG.da5cd2a501511bae34b49dda6ca9ecde.JPG

Rest and slice, using what was apparently the dullest knife in existence. Final temp was somewhere in the 140s, meat was surprisingly red for those temps. No complaining there, looked great.

sliced.thumb.JPG.cce9c1342a45c2d47a26106cbfc42e1e.JPG

Super super tender, was great. And these make fantastic leftovers.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...

Inspired by my internet understanding of Snow's pork steaks, this may be one of the best values in grilling. Cheap meat, zero effort, forgiving of time and forgiving of temp. Have smoking wood? Use it. Don't have it? Don't use it. Turns out great either way.

Pork collar, cut into 3-4" thick slices. Don't worry about slice shape or trimming, just hack it up.

1552461713_collar4section.thumb.JPG.5e5cfc9f295becb3b4ca7b1fadeb596f.JPG

Season with Montreal Steak seasoning. Super lazy, great flavor combo for this, did I mention super lazy? I've seasoned and gone straight on to cook. I've seasoned hours before. I've seasoned days before. It doesn't matter, results are always great.

season.thumb.JPG.452572dc8ca8016e3f941f23b39fe453.JPG

Spray every 30min or so with 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water.

Grill around 350 for about 2hr. I went indirect to avoid flareups, but this can be done direct as well (Snows is direct, but with a decent distance to the coals below). I've also done it 225 for 5hr, 275 for 3-4hr, it's totally foolproof. Can't control your temps for shit? Doesn't matter. Will turn out great. Just keep it from direct flame so the surface doesn't get burnt.

grill.thumb.JPG.2a4eb4a51ae4caeb6cc5d350668f2d98.JPG

If you want to slice it, then pull while it still probes with a bit of resistance. If you let it cook, it becomes pulled pork and falls apart when you try to slice. Taste is fantastic either way. I flip and turn 45 degrees to get the fancy cosmetic grill indentations.

I've never put a temp probe into these. Wing it. If you pull it too soon it'll be chewy, especially after it cools. If you pull it too late you have pulled pork. Either way you are still a winner.

done.thumb.JPG.e71a423d276c9cb20bf2e831049f5bcd.JPG

Slice. Doesn't show well in the pic, but super tender and juicy. Walla!

cut.thumb.JPG.52ebba71eb2bdef7a796ca8319c08d08.JPG

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1