Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

17 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

No cord lighter. https://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor/dp/B00008ZA0F

How does one put a drip pan on top of the heat deflector? I am guessing on the egg the deflector must sit lower than on the Primo? I have maybe a half inch of clearance between the deflector and the grill grate. I bought an elevated cooking grate but a brisket won't fit on that thing. I tried this past weekend, not even close. A butt maybe. 

Yeah, there's 2-3 inches of space between the deflector and the grate if you have the deflector in the low position.  If you look at the link below, you'll notice that you can either set the deflector (called a plate setter for some reason) on its feet, or on its top.  Put it on its feet when making pizza and on its top when smoking.

https://www.amazon.com/Plate-Setter-Big-Green-Egg/dp/B00DH8EQD4/ref=sr_1_4?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7OLFktr44QIVl9dkCh3UZQq8EAAYASAAEgIm5vD_BwE&hvadid=178506771591&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9051708&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=11026535333932523701&hvtargid=kwd-21951463650&hydadcr=23419_9937163&keywords=big+green+egg+xl+plate+setter&qid=1556657801&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 1

I can easily fit a disposable aluminum lasagna or roast pan on the plate setter under the grate for smoking.  It catches a LOT of stuff that otherwise would gunk up the plate setter (but probably still burn off).  Plus, sometimes I'll pour a beer or Dr Pepper in it for a little sweetness during a cook.

Also, to answer Landomatic, my BGE is probably going on 10 years.  I replaced gaskets about 2 years back after my first foray into pizzas.  Only other item I need to replace/repair is the two piece wood handle and possibly the temperature gauge (which has sucked since I got it).  The handle came unscrewed and I lost the parts so now I just use the metal frame piece.  It doesn't get hot during smokes.  I just use a hot pad when grilling or making pizzas.

Edited by DDD Dad

22 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Make sure you've really choked that fire to death well beforehand.  Once, I let it burn down naturally with the daisy wheel open to get rid of the rest of the lump that hadn't burned.  Almost 48 hours later, I shop vac'd the ashes and about 30 minutes later, there was a hole burned through the canister.  

Been there done that. See earlier post about the ash vac. 

Edited by Buzzrock

My Large is about 13 years old, and I replaced the metal ash grate with the holes in it after it cracked, but that’s more because I wanted to try something different. I first switched to a grate that looks like a small version of the food grate, but it let too much lump fall through. Now I’ve switched to the Kick Ash Basket and I love it. Makes cleaning the egg much easier. 

I did have the lid fall off once when it got so hot the bands expanded, but the only damage was to the temp gauge (the stock temp gauge sucked anyway). 

My firebox is currently cracked, and I keep expecting it to fall apart, but when/if it does I know BGE will replace it. 

I also swapped out the original bands and handle for the new ones with the bigger hinge and handle. I had bent the original band transporting it. I like the new band better, but the hinge is bigger and I’m gonna need to put a paver or the feet under it so that it can open in my table without scratching the granite. 

And I now have my first gas grill in about ten years. Came with a free house. 

b25d0e42992b8f8cae6885ff5c0f4262.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

My Large is about 13 years old, and I replaced the metal ash grate with the holes in it after it cracked, but that’s more because I wanted to try something different. I first switched to a grate that looks like a small version of the food grate.

Did you use some type of sealant when you replaced the grate?  I have one and am ready to replace mine, but not sure if I need to seal around it with some type of high heat caulk. Thanks 

3 hours ago, Big D said:

Did you use some type of sealant when you replaced the grate?  I have one and am ready to replace mine, but not sure if I need to seal around it with some type of high heat caulk. Thanks 

Why would you want to do that?  

18 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Why would you want to do that?  

After reading Buzzrock’s thread again, I thought he was describing the ash screen.  That is what I was referring too, but I see now he was not.  

I’m needing to replace the original ash screen and bought the one below and was wondering if I needed to seal it back.  I’m assuming so.

CDE5-CBE9-A313-4-F7-E-8404-D9-F0-A914-A2

13 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

It looks to be connected with screws, so I would think grout or caulk would not be necessary (or advisable).  Was the original one sealed?  I've never looked closely at mine.

Yes, the original one is sealed.  Just wondering if I do have to seal it, do I need to try and find some type of high heat caulk.  I might just try to insert the new ash cover into the original slide base.  

38 minutes ago, Big D said:

The screen is just old and I guess over time and use I burned a hole through the screen.

1-A8-FA2-A6-B8-D5-43-A3-A768-BA2-CADCDA7

If you have to replace the whole thing I would think high temp rtv would work to seal it back up. 

I took my screen off about 5 years ago. Haven’t missed it.

Well, spoke too soon. Used the egg a couple of weeks ago and left the bottom vent wide open to burn up the remaining lump. Went to fire it up this morning and a rat had made a nest in the bottom under the fire grate and there were a half dozen babies in there. Scooped it all out and decided it’d better take out the insert and sure enough, the momma rat was behind it hiding.

Looks like I’ll order a new screen.

I want to start doing Cabrito occasionally.  Used to have these old Mexicans I hunted at their place make it and it was so good.  
Where can you buy it?  And how do you cook it?

First you buy a goat....

Seriously though i think you split and roast it on a spit like a whole pig.

Get one of those Cuban Cachina cookers.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I want to start doing Cabrito occasionally.  Used to have these old Mexicans I hunted at their place make it and it was so good.  

Try a Mexican market or a Halal market.  In Dallas, try Sara's in Richardson.

Edited by Matuka
spelling

9 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Yikes. That is disgusting.

That's weird about the worn out screen. Mine looks more or less new. I'd send the pic to the BGE folks and see what they advise.

I was able to lift the egg off the nest and slid out the old screen.  Was able to replace it with the new screen.  I did not have to remove the base as the new screen fit into the existing grooves.

• Like 3

Ordered this punched metal screen. It’ll never get torn like the original.

Dracarys BBQ Metal Punched BGE Mesh Screen Panel, Big Green Egg Parts Stainless Steel Draft Door Screen Vent Screen BGE Grill Replacement Big Green Egg Accessories Fits Medium and Large Big Green Egg https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRXLB68/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2j4ZCbQPVF7JA

• 3 weeks later...

Sugar vs no-sugar is a debate in the pulled pole world. If you want sugar then Dizzy Pig makes a damn good rub. If you don’t want sugar (I don’t think it adds that much flavor and it can burn) then make your own or keep buying the store brand. They all use more or less the same ingredients.

And if you aren’t following this guy you’re missing out.

https://www.youtube.com/user/howtobbqright

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Sugar vs no-sugar is a debate in the pulled pole world. If you want sugar then Dizzy Pig makes a damn good rub. If you don’t want sugar (I don’t think it adds that much flavor and it can burn) then make your own or keep buying the store brand. They all use more or less the same ingredients.

And if you aren’t following this guy you’re missing out.

https://www.youtube.com/user/howtobbqright

I always check out videos from Malcom Reed and John Setzler before cooking something new on the kamado, especially pork.

38 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

What seasonings do you guys use for pork butts?  I usually just buy some pork BBQ rub at HEB if it's open.  But wanted to see what you guys do.

Typically inject the night before, then cover with a mixture of coarse black pepper, salt, chili/garlic/onion powder, & paprika.  Honestly, every year I get a ton of various rubs from friends/family who travel and bring them back that I mix/match quite often.  

Some that stand out are Killer Hogs, Mikes, 3 little pigs, & Smokin' Guns for pork.  

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 7:41 PM, CooterBrown said:

Ordered this punched metal screen. It’ll never get torn like the original.

Dracarys BBQ Metal Punched BGE Mesh Screen Panel, Big Green Egg Parts Stainless Steel Draft Door Screen Vent Screen BGE Grill Replacement Big Green Egg Accessories Fits Medium and Large Big Green Egg https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRXLB68/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2j4ZCbQPVF7JA

That is the same one I used to replace the original screen slide on my egg.  It works very well.  Should last a long time.

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

What seasonings do you guys use for pork butts?  I usually just buy some pork BBQ rub at HEB if it's open.  But wanted to see what you guys do.

Kosher salt (1/2 c), coarse ground black pepper (1 c), and turbinado sugar (1/2 c).  Rub with mustard first. 

Edited by Dry Elbows
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I use this one I found on the virtual Weber bullet site:

1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper

On 5/5/2019 at 4:28 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Fiesta. This was a few years ago. 

013-1.jpg

021-1.jpg

062.jpg

087.jpg

• Like 1

I appropriated by neighbor's Kamado Joe because he never used it.  The cook went great for the most part.  I did two beer can chickens and a pork butt.  Got a great bark on the pork.  But, there was a distinct lack of smoke flavor.  I used B&B lump and 4-6 chunks of pecan.  Any advice on how to get a more distinct smoke flavor?

19 minutes ago, Dry Elbows said:

I appropriated by neighbor's Kamado Joe because he never used it.  The cook went great for the most part.  I did two beer can chickens and a pork butt.  Got a great bark on the pork.  But, there was a distinct lack of smoke flavor.  I used B&B lump and 4-6 chunks of pecan.  Any advice on how to get a more distinct smoke flavor?

I start with a small log of oak--say 4 inch diameter and 8 inches long.  Then I add oak chips after several hours of cooking.  I have a Sapphire ceramic smoker and it has an opening above the fire pit that is sealed with a removal screw that allows you add wood chips throughout the cook without opening the lid.  Under smoking is not a problem.

20 hours ago, Dry Elbows said:

Lack of a heavy smoke flavor, smoke ring, etc. is a common ‘complaint’ around ceramic cookers, and I believe that it is a result of the high fuel efficiency of ceramic cookers - you’re just not going to burn a lot of wood in a low-and-slow cook like you would in a stick burner.  That said, I don’t believe in the no-win scenario, so...

20 hours ago, HouTex said:

I start with a small log of oak--say 4 inch diameter and 8 inches long.  Then I add oak chips after several hours of cooking.  I have a Sapphire ceramic smoker and it has an opening above the fire pit that is sealed with a removal screw that allows you add wood chips throughout the cook without opening the lid.  Under smoking is not a problem.

...tell us more.  I assume you put the log on top of lit lump and under the diffuser?  How do you get it to burn/smoke effectively?  I ask because I’ve noticed I need to run my Large BGE at 250* or higher to get chunks, placed directly on hot coals, to ignite and burn correctly, but I prefer to cook at 225*, so it’s a tad annoying.

Many years ago I bought a bag of wood chunks and followed the instructions on how to make my own lump charcoal buy filling the BGE with chunks (no other lump charcoal added), igniting them, letting them burn for a period of time, and then killing the fire.  Result was ‘lump’ that I used to cook some ribs, and the smoke flavor was strong IIRC.  I need to try that again.  Anyone else try that method?

I have definitely noticed the smoke observations as well. I'm ok with it as I know smoke ring is purely cosmetic and I don't prefer an overly smoky meal, depending on the cut. 

The other thing I have noticed about trying to smoke on my Primo is that the hot and fast method that I usually prefer is not ideal for the ceramic. There is too much heat transfer from the deflector plate to the grill grate and onto the bottom half of the roast. I tried to smoke a brisket fat cap up (experimenting for other purposes) in the 300-325 range and the bottom of my brisket was pretty much jerky. Not the case in my WSM or offset. 

I did buy a rack extender but for an 18.5" non XL grill, the extender doesn't give you much cooking space. I can't fit a brisket on it, or even a full rack of spares. 

21 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

There is too much heat transfer from the deflector plate to the grill grate and onto the bottom half of the roast. I tried to smoke a brisket fat cap up (experimenting for other purposes) in the 300-325 range and the bottom of my brisket was pretty much jerky. Not the case in my WSM or offset. 

I noticed this, too.  I was thinking of putting a drip pan with some liquid (smoke) on the deflector plate to prevent on future smokes.  Or just smoke at a lower temp. 

20 minutes ago, Dry Elbows said:

I noticed this, too.  I was thinking of putting a drip pan with some liquid (smoke) on the deflector plate to prevent on future smokes.  Or just smoke at a lower temp. 

I think the Primo has a smaller gap between the deflector plate and the grilling surface than the BGE. I only have like maybe 1/2" I think. That is probably also part of the problem. 

1 hour ago, solamente73 said:

Lack of a heavy smoke flavor, smoke ring, etc. is a common ‘complaint’ around ceramic cookers, and I believe that it is a result of the high fuel efficiency of ceramic cookers - you’re just not going to burn a lot of wood in a low-and-slow cook like you would in a stick burner.  That said, I don’t believe in the no-win scenario, so...

...tell us more.  I assume you put the log on top of lit lump and under the diffuser?  How do you get it to burn/smoke effectively?  I ask because I’ve noticed I need to run my Large BGE at 250* or higher to get chunks, placed directly on hot coals, to ignite and burn correctly, but I prefer to cook at 225*, so it’s a tad annoying.

Many years ago I bought a bag of wood chunks and followed the instructions on how to make my own lump charcoal buy filling the BGE with chunks (no other lump charcoal added), igniting them, letting them burn for a period of time, and then killing the fire.  Result was ‘lump’ that I used to cook some ribs, and the smoke flavor was strong IIRC.  I need to try that again.  Anyone else try that method?

I load the lump and then put the small log about half way to the center of the pile of lump.  Then I light the lump in the center using those little tumbleweed looking things.  After I'm sure my fire is lit enough so it will not go out, I install the diffuser and the meat grate and close the lid and open the vents about half way.  I slowly close the vents until the heat stabilizes in the 250-275 range (my preferred cooking temp for brisket and pork butt)--it usually takes 30-45 minutes for me to get the temp right.  Then I load the meat.  Without actually seeing it, I can tell that the log slowly burns for about 3-4 hours (based on the smoke and the smell).  Sometimes a little of the log is still recognizable after the brisket is done.  Around hour 5 or so I start adding the oak chips with the steel, hollow, half-moon chip loader that came with the Sapphire smoker.  I probably add two of the loaders full of chips every 2 hours or so.  I stop adding chips when I'm about 2 hours away from the meat being done. A large brisket usually takes me about 10 hours until it probes done.