Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Okay, I'm gonna have to read this whole thread, cuz the wife got me a Primo oval setup.  I have no idea how to work with it, have never cooked on a ceramic, etc.  I'm gonna read the thread before I ask all my questions....but I'm still gonna have a BUNCH of questions.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

How do you prefer to smoke tofu?

What are some of your best gluten-free recipes for it?

How can I separate foods on the grill for pescatarians, people with a shellfish allergy, and Hindus?

Will it give a good sear to my organic, artisanal eggplant skewers?

PM Derka.

Anyone have success with brisket, especially with the flats? If so what’s your go to strategy?

I’ve done about 8 briskets so far on the egg. I follow Franklins methods as close as possible in regards to brisket selection, trimming, etc. Basically have the book memorized. First two briskets were pretty bad then started doing fat cap down at 250 and then finishing them wrapped in the oven after the stall. Using this method I’ve always been able to get really good bark, smoke ring (for photos), fat has rendered really well. However, the flat is always on the over done/ dry side and point is very good with little to no problems. Typically will pull the brisket at around 295 internal and let rest for a few hours.

Thinking that the eggs temp was fluctuating too much I went out and got an egg genius to maintain the temps more closely. I did my first brisket using it and it was a disaster. Worst brisket to date. Flat was hard as a rock, I was embarrassed serve if it because it came out like leather. The points fat didn’t render properly and had very large fat chunks that were inedible. Just an absolute disaster of a cook.

Anyone care to help troubleshoot or have had decent outcomes that I could try for my next cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Finkle_Is_Einhorn said:

Typically will pull the brisket at around 295 internal and let rest for a few hours.

Do you pull the brisket at a 295 internal or, is that a typo and, you actually pull at a 195 internal?    295 would be way overcooked and 195 is probably not quite done.

17 minutes ago, Finkle_Is_Einhorn said:

Anyone have success with brisket, especially with the flats? If so what’s your go to strategy?

I’ve done about 8 briskets so far on the egg. I follow Franklins methods as close as possible in regards to brisket selection, trimming, etc. Basically have the book memorized. First two briskets were pretty bad then started doing fat cap down at 250 and then finishing them wrapped in the oven after the stall. Using this method I’ve always been able to get really good bark, smoke ring (for photos), fat has rendered really well. However, the flat is always on the over done/ dry side and point is very good with little to no problems. Typically will pull the brisket at around 295 internal and let rest for a few hours.

Thinking that the eggs temp was fluctuating too much I went out and got an egg genius to maintain the temps more closely. I did my first brisket using it and it was a disaster. Worst brisket to date. Flat was hard as a rock, I was embarrassed serve if it because it came out like leather. The points fat didn’t render properly and had very large fat chunks that were inedible. Just an absolute disaster of a cook.

Anyone care to help troubleshoot or have had decent outcomes that I could try for my next cook.

My briskets have all turned out good to very good on my egg.  I always cook with a pan filled with about an inch of water under the brisket resting on top of the deflector.  I have to add water every few hours.  I also do the fat side down.  I cook hotter than most (around 275) and I usually will wrap in butcher paper when the brisket hits 180 or so.  I usually pull it around 200-205 whenever the probe inserts easily into the brisket.  My egg cooker holds the temperature very well.  I can leave it for 5-6 hours with little to no temperature swings. 

• Like 1

I posted upthread that I have had trouble with brisket on the ceramic. I get too much heat transfer from the fire and even fat cap down the bottom comes out like leather/jerky. I pretty much gave up, I can just use WSM or offset if I want to do a brisket. I have not had trouble doing ribs or pork shoulder on the ceramic. 

46 minutes ago, Finkle_Is_Einhorn said:

When you smoke a brisket, the moisture (water) evaporates.  As the fat renders, it replaces the water and create moisture (delicious melted fat).   If you have a dry brisket and unrendered fat, it's undercooked. If you have a dry brisket and rendered fat, it's overcooked.

• Like 1

Yeah, for the most part my briskets have turned out decent. I utilize the water pan and refill when low. I thought for sure the egg genius would push the briskets to the next level with a little more temp control. Wondering if the fan circulates too much air and can dry the brisket out. Also wondering if wrapping before the stall can have any effect.

Screenshot of the cook temps. Forgot I did this one at 260 and then raised it to 270 after wrapping in butcher paper. I think there was brief flare up towards the end that last a few minutes.

3e22392892533cdb8902ff57aaf4cc31.jpg

On 1/24/2020 at 2:18 PM, Brisketexan said:

How can I separate foods on the grill for pescatarians, people with a shellfish allergy, and Hindus?

Negged

My first few on the egg were not great.  I asked a friend who is an expert what I was doing wrong and mentioned to him how the meat was tough, especially the flat.  He said to cook it longer.  I was pulling at 203.  I now pull around 205 to 208 depending on how it is probing.  They are much better.

I also have added a water pan that seems to help.

Edited by Johnny Sack

On 1/27/2020 at 2:28 PM, Baboontyme said:

I pretty much gave up, I can just use WSM or offset if I want to do a brisket. I have not had trouble doing ribs or pork shoulder on the ceramic. 

Haven't read all 13 pages, but this page makes ceramic cooking sound like an absolute beating.  Was thinking about investing in one, but I think I’ll hold off.

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

Haven't read all 13 pages, but this page makes ceramic cooking sound like an absolute beating.  Was thinking about investing in one, but I think I’ll hold off.

Apparently the experiences are all over the place.  Mine couldn't be easier and the results are good to very good and it's way easier than any other smoker I've used.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 3:28 AM, Baboontyme said:

I posted upthread that I have had trouble with brisket on the ceramic. I get too much heat transfer from the fire and even fat cap down the bottom comes out like leather/jerky. 

You need to buffer off the direct heat from bottom. Ceramic heat deflectors, spacers, another ceramic deflector or pizza stone, and then use a drip pan with water or yet another layer of spacers and another pizza stone. Same trick people use to balance bottom and top heat in a kamado to properly cook a pizza.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I'm just dipping my foot in the pool and I fucking love mine. Haven't tried brisket yet but the temp control is the best I've ever experienced (previously having cooked on WSM and large Klose offset).

• Like 1

I never really considered that the water pan under brisket also acts as another layer of heat shield. I just had the ceramic heat shields in place with some foil on top to catch fat last time. I didn’t bother with water pan as the humidity was high.

The primo round setup doesn't allow for much between the deflector and the grate. Probably also part of the problem. Maybe a half inch. I'm sure I could figure something out but whatever, I've got 8 other things I could use so I'll just do that. 

It is decidedly not a pain in the ass to cook on. It is super easy to throw a pork butt or something on there and forget about it, less cleanup than a WSM, too. I also love to grill on mine. Light it up with a weed burner for about 60 seconds, close the lid and open the vent and you're at 500+ in about 4 minutes. 

5 hours ago, HouTex said:

Apparently the experiences are all over the place.  Mine couldn't be easier and the results are good to very good and it's way easier than any other smoker I've used.

Same.  kamado ceramic.  Had for 5+ years.  Worked so well we had the back yard redone, instead of a stainless drop-in grill, just had them build a little nook/nest for is to rest in.  Not as simple as the outdoor plug-in-oven-pellet grills, but miles ahead of a conventional stick burner.  I've run mine 20+ hours before on a single fill.  Dual-probe thermometer is a must have accessory.  

• Like 2

Love this thread. Been monitoring it for a few months; finally pulled the trigger and bought myself a vision hd from home depot. I know next to nothing about grilling on charcoal so its been/going to be a learning experience. Got the kick ash basket after using the grill a couple of times without, and I think it makes a big difference. What is yalls go to lump charcoal? My first bag has been royal oak. Anything better out there or are they all about the same? 

I'm just dipping my foot in the pool and I fucking love mine. Haven't tried brisket yet but the temp control is the best I've ever experienced (previously having cooked on WSM and large Klose offset).

Wait until you get the hang of the CyberQ. Get the temperature steady and then it’s basically go inside and drink beer until it’s time to wrap. Then drink more beer after you’ve wrapped and try not to pass out before it’s ready to pull.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Get the temperature steady and then it’s basically go inside and drink beer until it’s time to wrap. Then drink more beer after you’ve wrapped and try not to pass out before it’s ready to pull.

I thought the whole point was to stay outside and drink beer and let the women think you have to stay outside to tend the fire?  What am I missing here?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I thought the whole point was to stay outside and drink beer and let the women think you have to stay outside to tend the fire?  What am I missing here?

It is. But it's nice to be able to call it a night around 1 or 2 and get some sleep knowing the temp will hold steady until your drunk ass can get back up the in the morning!

• Like 1

I love mine so much i bought another for my mountain house. It does everything well. I will never not have one.
  • Like 1

One thing that has worked for me if I'm doing a long slow cook is to light the coals on one side and put the meat on the other. No, it isn't the same as an offset, but it helps with deflecting the heat a little bit. 

If it's a big brisket that's basically taking up the whole grate, I'll turn it around a few times during the cook just so one side isn't getting as much direct heat. 

I don't think there is anything as versatile as the Komodo style.  Yeah, a stick burning offset will probably make better Q. But I also like sleep. 

One thing that has worked for me if I'm doing a long slow cook is to light the coals on one side and put the meat on the other. No, it isn't the same as an offset, but it helps with deflecting the heat a little bit. 
If it's a big brisket that's basically taking up the whole grate, I'll turn it around a few times during the cook just so one side isn't getting as much direct heat. 
I don't think there is anything as versatile as the Komodo style.  Yeah, a stick burning offset will probably make better Q. But I also like sleep. 
With my BGE, i light in the middle. Plate setter (heat deflector) takes care of the heat.
  • Like 2

I would avoid the Kamado Joe Big Block lump charcoal, only because it continues to have sporadic reports of chemical taste to the fuel. Many people attribute it to user error, not allowing enough burn time before cooking, but the reality is it's the only charcoal that I repeatedly read these complaints about.

You do see people debate the charcoal and say that some taste different - the lump size is also different, and different lump works better for different cooks.

There is a very good Kamado Joe and a good BGE group on FB that share a ton of tricks and recipes. Highly recommend you find and follow them.

9 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

I would avoid the Kamado Joe Big Block lump charcoal, only because it continues to have sporadic reports of chemical taste to the fuel. Many people attribute it to user error, not allowing enough burn time before cooking, but the reality is it's the only charcoal that I repeatedly read these complaints about.

You do see people debate the charcoal and say that some taste different - the lump size is also different, and different lump works better for different cooks.

There is a very good Kamado Joe and a good BGE group on FB that share a ton of tricks and recipes. Highly recommend you find and follow them.

That's the only lump I use anymore.  Never had an issue with chemical taste and I've been through at least six bags.  There was just too much waste with the B&B lump with unusable small shards and dust.

John Setzler does cooking videos for Kamado Joe.  Here is an index of many of his videos.

I use B&B with my large BGE and I’ve been pretty happy with it. I need to buy a kick ash basket. I have the CGS adjustable rig and for briskets i do the oval stone at the bottom, followed by a pan 3/4 full of water, then brisket at the top level. I cook hot and fast, 300* in the dome. Do not use any of the digital thermometers. Spritz with Apple cider vinegar and Worcestershire combo each hour, wrap in butcher paper around 160 when it’s dark as hell already, pull after 203 or when it’s probing like butter in the thickest part of the flat. I also trim the brisket pretty good, especially those corner areas in the point where all that hard fat is. Salt and pepper only (2:3 ratio).

This is my brisket from a couple of weeks ago. No idea how I got a smoke ring this time as I never get one. 7b6db66d4378f85b529d1efae9f760d8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2020 at 2:18 PM, Brisketexan said:

Git a rope!

Just chiming in to say don’t fear the ceramic. It was my only grill for years and I only have a propane grill now since it came with the house we bought last April. I’ve done some pretty damn good brisket (and everything else) with it. Only challenge is cramming a whole brisket on the large BGE since it’s an 18” circle. I’m curious to hear how Brisket does with his new oval Primo, it’s a much more brisket-friendly shape.

3 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Just chiming in to say don’t fear the ceramic. It was my only grill for years and I only have a propane grill now since it came with the house we bought last April. I’ve done some pretty damn good brisket (and everything else) with it. Only challenge is cramming a whole brisket on the large BGE since it’s an 18” circle. I’m curious to hear how Brisket does with his new oval Primo, it’s a much more brisket-friendly shape.

I use a foil-wrapped brick or empty beer can (also foil-wrapped) and lay it under the middle of the brisket.  This brings up both ends enough to fit easily in the Large BGE.  When it shrinks down enough (usually around when I wrap if I wrap), then I just remove it so the brisket doesn't end up warped.

Edited by DDD Dad

FUCK

ME

ffdc7817e5e69167a02e06c928c817e5.jpg

Happened to me last year. Did a clean burn and the gaskets got fused together and when I went to open it, didn’t realize the ring on the dome was loose and it flew backwards and shattered.
All in on the repair was about $400.
New dome, hinge, thermometer, and stainless cap.
The new style hinge is much better than the original one.
  • Like 1