Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

2 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I just bought some ribs. Never smoked them before. What’s your approach? I was planning 225* 3 hours, wrapped for 2 hours w butter, brown sugar & apple juice, then unwrapped and sauced for the final hour. Sound right?

Spares or baby back?

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
22 minutes ago, pops said:
Spares or baby back?

Este. Spares are 3-2-1. Baby backs are 2-2-1.

I'll even go 2.5, 1.5 and 45 minutes on baby backs depending on size. I think they taste better, but are a little more finicky. 

I have had my BGE for 6 years and cook on it a couple times a week. I just did a major cleaning, replaced the gasket for the first time and bought a new band and hinge assembly for it. It fixed my overbite problem and the lid is much smoother.

Some recent cooks.

5daacecf96a8b98446ad6aff14be4340.jpg

31ab5c9750504fa00c9dc62f866205f2.jpg

44209ef9a304014df06d5f6d16c1e460.jpg

6bbe8bca912664ecf7ae82d400721869.jpg

Currently 9 hours into a brisket right now

af9abeb67b70350f8348ca9b49579c44.jpg

• Like 5

@lurch What do you think of your divider? Seems like it would be much more useful on an oval Kamado than a BGE.

I thought about getting one but elected not to.

I have a primo oval xl, so it’s going to be quite useful. These ribs, for example, should only take a third so I’ll use it there and have more grate protection from direct heat.

I have a primo oval xl, so it’s going to be quite useful. These ribs, for example, should only take a third so I’ll use it there and have more grate protection from direct heat.

Exactly. With the round BGE I just didn’t see any big benefit in getting one.

I really like Malcolm Reed’s YouTube channel. He has a few different rib videos:

In other news:

fb807953a6f8bc9a21cf3d731c921b19.jpg

Definitely not my best effort. Even with the Guru I think it got too hot because all the charcoal was gone this morning after about ten hours. Finished in the oven and it was damn tasty and tender but the flat was dry. Point still had a lot of moisture so I vacuum sealed it for another day.
  • Like 2

Dry rub I went with after mustard layer

1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder (didn’t have this so I just used more garlic powder)
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I happened across a YouTube video yesterday showing off new BGE accessories. 
 The new rack and grill setup looks interesting. Will post link if I can find it again. 

Take a look at the Ceramic Grill Store.  They have many accessories for customizing your kamado - racks, stones, etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have a Primo oval.  I got it a couple of months ago, have hardly used it because I have no idea what I'm doing.  Yeah, I need to spend an hour just reading this thread.  But here's what I want to try: I have a good rack of St louis ribs, and some raw green onion sausage from the Best Stop that I want to smoke tomorrow.

I have the extra elevated racks, I have the ceramic deflectors and the firebox divider....so how do I do this?  Search function here is shit, so if someone has posted a good how-to, can you link it?  In short, edumacate me in the use of my ceramic cooker to make some ribs and sausage.  I welcome your tutelage, and I will drink an extra beer in your honor during the cook tomorrow....

• Hook 'Em 1

Okay, I have a Primo oval.  I got it a couple of months ago, have hardly used it because I have no idea what I'm doing.  Yeah, I need to spend an hour just reading this thread.  But here's what I want to try: I have a good rack of St louis ribs, and some raw green onion sausage from the Best Stop that I want to smoke tomorrow.
I have the extra elevated racks, I have the ceramic deflectors and the firebox divider....so how do I do this?  Search function here is shit, so if someone has posted a good how-to, can you link it?  In short, edumacate me in the use of my ceramic cooker to make some ribs and sausage.  I welcome your tutelage, and I will drink an extra beer in your honor during the cook tomorrow....

Call me anytime you want to talk ceramics.

Will the ribs fit? On my BGE I have set them up on their end in a swirl shape. That works ok but not great.

If I understand that you have rib racks to hold them then you should be good to go.

Do you have a Guru or similar tool to maintain constant temp?

Honestly that’s the trickiest part of ceramics in my experience.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

First you make a roux.

• Like 2

Will the ribs fit? On my BGE I have set them up on their end in a swirl shape. That works ok but not great.

If I understand that you have rib racks to hold them then you should be good to go.

Do you have a Guru or similar tool to maintain constant temp?

Honestly that’s the trickiest part of ceramics in my experience.

No rib rack. But I have lots of room. And I’m not averse to cutting the rack in half.
No guru, but the last time I used the primo, once I got it to temp, it held there very well.

• 2 weeks later...

So after over-doing my first chuck roast and then small Trader Joe's brisket to the point of dryness, I attempted a 10-lb (mostly) flat going hot-and-fast for the first time ever yesterday. I could tell it was a monster large brisket that had been separated by Sam's so there was just a tinge of the point on the one end. At any rate, threw it on the Egg and cooked at mostly 345-350 (had the CyberQ set for 325) and it was done in 5.5 hours. I pulled it at 195 internal.

Had a great smoke ring but the bark wasn't where I like it. I had two small Weber grill aluminum pans filled with water on the ConvEGGtor and then wrapped a little too loosely in two pieces of butcher paper once it reached 175 internal. The one end was just OK but the other end turned out pretty good -- very juicy and very tasty. If I can get the bark down I'll never do another low-and-slow again.

• 2 weeks later...

Just pulled the trigger on a Kamado Joe Classic II. Deliver and set up on Friday in time for the holiday weekend.  I was all set for the Large BGE, but the KJ differentiators were the hinge, the ash tray, and the price, as it was on sale for $999. Hope to have and enjoy this thing for the next 25 years.  I have a 9 year old Weber Genesis that’s just about to corrode into nothing, and didn’t want to spend replacement money for another one to have the same thing happen again.  

First cook will be beef rib plate on Saturday.  Wish me luck.  4-5 hours at 225-250 deg F, 200-205 internal temp sound about right?  B&B charcoal and tumbleweed starters, all from HEB as it was open. 

• Like 3

Just pulled the trigger on a Kamado Joe Classic II. Deliver and set up on Friday in time for the holiday weekend.  I was all set for the Large BGE, but the KJ differentiators were the hinge, the ash tray, and the price, as it was on sale for $999. Hope to have and enjoy this thing for the next 25 years.  I have a 9 year old Weber Genesis that’s just about to corrode into nothing, and didn’t want to spend replacement money for another one to have the same thing happen again.  
First cook will be beef rib plate on Saturday.  Wish me luck.  4-5 hours at 225-250 deg F, 200-205 internal temp sound about right?  B&B charcoal and tumbleweed starters, all from HEB as it was open. 

Watch Franklin's video on beef ribs. I think you'll need to go a little longer and/or a little higher temp on that cook.

I use those tumbleweed starters and they work great. Biggest tip I can give you is don't rush the fire. For a low and slow cook. I plan for an hour to get my fire set. If you rush, the fire will get too big/hot and it's nearly impossible to bring the fire back down.
  • Like 1

Be sure to work slowly up to your target temp. Should you overshoot, it is difficult to bring back down. Keep in mind when you first put a water dish in or the meat on, the temp may read low for a bit while they heat up, but can quickly jump once they do if you open the vents thinking it’s running too cool.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1