Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

Started some spares later than I should have so cranked the heat up to about 275. After 2 hours wrapped in foil with margarine and brown sugar. Stayed in there for about 1.5. Finished unwrapped for about 45, spritzing with apple juice every 15 minutes or so. Brushed with a thin glaze right at the end. 

Slammed and whatnot. And only a little over 4 hours from bottle to throttle. 

20200607_190335.thumb.jpg.932ed340bad5e7d0fcf307de8dfe4428.jpg

20200607_150114.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:
7 hours ago, DDD Dad said:
What are the smaller pieces?

Looks like trimmings from full spare ribs.

Correct. The trimmings cook at different rates so the smaller pieces come off sooner, so we can have some appetizers before the main event. They were excellent By the way. 

On 5/25/2020 at 12:07 PM, DDD Dad said:

Well I didn’t take pics but the ribs came out fine on the new extender grates.

Split the racks so they would fit on the smaller upper grate.

It’s nice having a way to get under the plate setter quickly. With the new kick ash basket the charcoal seems to burn faster. Ran out of fuel mid cook.

Interesting. I’ve done 2 smokes with the kick ash and found the same thing, out of fuel early. Like the utility of the KA but thoughts on why less efficient?

Funny, same here. I assumed first time I was too aggressive with the splitter, only giving myself 1/3d of the basket. I extended it to half this weekend and still burned through it all in 7 hrs @ 285*. I’m due for a brisket in the next week or so, so I’ll be interested to see what that looks like. May take a full basket?

57 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Funny, same here. I assumed first time I was too aggressive with the splitter, only giving myself 1/3d of the basket. I extended it to half this weekend and still burned through it all in 7 hrs @ 285*. I’m due for a brisket in the next week or so, so I’ll be interested to see what that looks like. May take a full basket?

Also I can't seem to shut off the cook by closing everything down.  The remaining coals just burn completely out.

Next time you finish a cook, close it down (close lid, shut all vents) and then go around the gasket and the vents with a smoke source (lit cigarette, oil soaked towel, green wood or leafy wood, something that burns with some dirty smoke). The smoke will be "sucked in" wherever you have leaks. Easy visual way to find your leaks.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Next time you finish a cook, close it down (close lid, shut all vents) and then go around the gasket and the vents with a smoke source (lit cigarette, oil soaked towel, green wood or leafy wood, something that burns with some dirty smoke). The smoke will be "sucked in" wherever you have leaks. Easy visual way to find your leaks.

You forgot bongs or crack pipes.  Damn, Sam...taking all the fun out of it.

Im having an issue getting any bark to develop on my long cooks using a vision grill. I cooked some beef dino ribs yesterday, about 7.5 hours, pulled at 201, used b&b lump with a couple of pieces of mesquite, tried to keep temp at the grate at 285 but it fluctuated 10-15 degrees in both directions over the course of the cook. Used the Franklin method of coating the ribs in hot sauce, then just salt and pepper for seasoning. Opened lid once at 4 hours to spray with ACV, then sprayed once more about 5.5 hours in. Taste is still good, but feel like I am missing something. The outside has some crunch to it and the inside was very moist, but it doesnt have what anyone would consider a bark. Any reason why bark wouldn't develop in that time?

Im having an issue getting any bark to develop on my long cooks using a vision grill. I cooked some beef dino ribs yesterday, about 7.5 hours, pulled at 201, used b&b lump with a couple of pieces of mesquite, tried to keep temp at the grate at 285 but it fluctuated 10-15 degrees in both directions over the course of the cook. Used the Franklin method of coating the ribs in hot sauce, then just salt and pepper for seasoning. Opened lid once at 4 hours to spray with ACV, then sprayed once more about 5.5 hours in. Taste is still good, but feel like I am missing something. The outside has some crunch to it and the inside was very moist, but it doesnt have what anyone would consider a bark. Any reason why bark wouldn't develop in that time?

I recently increased salt (a little) and pepper (a lot) and I think it’s helped the bark formation. Any chance your rub was too light?
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I'm going to take a stab at beef ribs this weekend.  Tips?

I use the Franklin method but change the pepper to salt ratio as I mentioned above. For the spritz I use 1/2 apple cider vinegar 1/2 water. The key is they need to probe like butter before pulling them. 

https://andrewzimmern.com/recipes/aaron-franklins-beef-ribs/

Edited by TankedBevo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

I want to say a 2 to 1 ratio pepper to salt (maybe a little less salt) and apply it generously. 

Yeah, I'd go at least that if not heavier with the pepper, 3-4:1 by volume.  Note that 1:1 by weight is approximately 3-4 pepper : 1 kosher salt by volume. 

PS. I really like pepper. 

• Like 1

I’m not pre mixing the S&P anymore. I can see the kosher salt well enough so I apply that first, then come back over with the course black pepper until it’s well covered. I was hesitant to fill in light spots w mix because I didn’t want it to be too salty, but now that’s no longer a concern. I’d guess I might be 3/1 at this point. Ribs this weekend had enough pepper that there was actually heat in each bite, which was perfect.

Going to use this approach w brisket this weekend, too

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Picked up 2 rib plates from CM today. About 5.5 lbs total for both. They didn’t have any single plates with more than 3 ribs.

Is it always just 3 bones or can you get a larger cut?

I think they are generally sold as 3 rib short plates and 4 rib chuck plates, but they are not exactly the same.  Short plates are generally considered the best, but chuck plates are plenty good.   Just don't mess with beef back ribs as they don't have much meat.

• Like 1

I think they are generally sold as 3 rib short plates and 4 rib chuck plates, but they are not exactly the same.  Short plates are generally considered the best, but chuck plates are plenty good.   Just don't mess with beef back ribs as they don't have much meat.

Thanks. I’m gonna smoke both of the plates and just use leftovers for tacos or sandwiches.

Yep, all I’m getting here are chuck, always 4 ribs
  • Like 1

What’s the proper pepper use?  I’ve used freshly ground for years, but picked up some coarse ground Fiesta brand pepper at HEB, and just sprinkle it on.  Soooo much easier. 

I make a pile of salt and then much bigger pile of course pepper next to brisket/ribs. Then I do a pinch at a time out of the piles covering all w salt, then go back and cover all again w pepper, fairly thick.

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

What’s the proper pepper use?  I’ve used freshly ground for years, but picked up some coarse ground Fiesta brand pepper at HEB, and just sprinkle it on.  Soooo much easier. 

Nothing wrong with the pre ground. It's my go to for rubs. No way I'm hand grinding that much pepper for a cook. 

• Like 1

In Aaron Franklin's book, he actually mentions that he prefers pepper that is not freshly ground.  A few days to a few weeks old, not like shit years old or anything.  He suggests that he takes a bit of the bite and heat off it so that he can use more for bark effect without overpowering the flavor.

I just use coarse ground stuff from costco most of the time. 

My wife got me a big green egg for fathers day today since my smoky mountain was rusting apart in the Houston humidity. Very generous of her. 

Currently doing a couple of racks of back ribs just to try it out. One thing I did notice is that it got really hot really fast compared to my old grills. 

Looking forward to referring to this thread and learning some tips and tricks. 

Recommendations for a knife to slice brisket, and the board to cut it on.

Aaron Franklin uses a long restaurant supply knife. Can’t recall the maker but it’s very basic. Like $20 from Ace. Might be scalloped but can’t recall for sure.

I would recommend a large wood board but really anything is fine. If you’re worried about drippings then be sure it has a channel around the edge to catch.

Aaron Franklin uses a long restaurant supply knife. Can’t recall the maker but it’s very basic. Like $20 from Ace. Might be scalloped but can’t recall for sure.

I would recommend a large wood board but really anything is fine. If you’re worried about drippings then be sure it has a channel around the edge to catch.

Thanks. Solid advice. Also, I found the thread. Just looking to up my game a bit without spending a bunch of cash.
  • Like 1