Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

On 6/29/2018 at 8:48 PM, CooterBrown said:

Picked up a small 9 lbs prime brisket for tomorrow. It'll probably trim down to 7 1/2 - 8 lbs.  I've cooked plenty of briskets but every single one has been over 12 lbs.  Should a tiny brisket be treated the same as a normal sized one? I don't want to dry it out so I will probably put foil under the flat to protect it a bit and use a water pan.  I usually set the egg at 275. Should I cook it hotter? Lower? Anybody experienced with a smaller size feel free to chime in. I won't judge.

Do you use an L or XL. If an L does the 12lb fit ok? Thanks

On 6/25/2018 at 10:07 AM, ohchaucer said:

I gave this to myself for Father's Day.  Quality seems quite good, the wheels are real nice to have on the stand, and the orange is pretty much perfectly burnt (which was a pleasant surprise as I was expecting closer to Tennessee orange).  I smoked some chicken wings on it for my first cook.  Had to play with the vents a little, but I eventually got it to 225 and it stayed there for the 2 hours the chicken wings needed with zero attention.  I had the lid open for a good bit while I got all the wings off and the temp climbed up to 400 or so. Nice lesson for future/longer cooks not to open unless needed and keep it short.  Wings turned out super juicy and great.

Grilled some burgers on it yesterday.  Used same charcoal from the first cook with only a very small amount of new.  I think I left the igniter in longer than it needed to be as the coals were all going real hot, but obviously that was no issue for cooking burgers.  My only concern was getting it hot so soon (around 500 when I closed the lid while cooking), but I didn't notice any issue this morning with gaskets or anything.

I really like the igniter port, and cleaning out the ash today was super easy with the tray that pulls out.  That's the same tray that you'd remove and replace with the gas grill insert.  I might buy the gas insert in the future, but the coals are so easy and fast that I think I'll enjoy using just those for a good while.  Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

• Like 1

I took delivery from my buddy today. Had to give it a run for dinner. Strip steak, salad and vodka soda because I'm on a diet. The cart is a little cheesy but yeah it works. I'm starting to think I won't need it if I can find a spot that works. I can mobilize in other ways if necessary. 

41414141510_43ee9e6f6d.jpg

43224516721_2f5222fd49_z.jpg

43174915352_96667b29fe_c.jpg

Questions - all it came with was the grill grate. I doubt I will be doing much smoking on it but what the hell, I want to be prepared. What accessories do I need? The primo "deflector plate" is > $100 and I already have a pizza stone and a pizza steel. Do I need it? Couldn't I just use the pizza stone? Do I need the double rack so I can put a drip pan under the meat in the event I do decide to try to smoke on it?

Just now, SMUlawUTgrad said:

What do you usually use for sauce and dough? Pre-made or do you make your own?

Get a can of these at the store and crush them with your hands.  Add a bit of olive oil and red pepper if you like a bit of heat.  No need to cook it, but you can if it makes you feel better.

https://www.cento.com/brands/cento/san-marzano.php

You can make the dough yourself and it is easy.  BUT, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have fresh pizza dough so I've quit making my own.  It cuts down on time and potential frustration.  I've purchased a few and frozen them so that I have it on hand.

I'm ready to smoke a brisket on the BGE.  I have the L.

1. How much wood chunks to lump coal do I need?  Ballpark on the ratio.

2. How much do I need to fill it up?

Any tips appreciated...

Edited by RD3

27 minutes ago, RD3 said:

I'm ready to smoke a brisket on the BGE.  I have the L.

1. How much wood chunks to lump coal do I need?  Ballpark on the ratio.

2. How much do I need to fill it up?

Any tips appreciated...

I use the diverter and kick ash basket and fill the lump just below the handles with a divot in the center.  4-5 chunks of oak on the perimeter and I copy the WSM "minion" method in that I put the lit coals in the center (using a chimney) and let them gradually fire the outer coals.

I haven't been as happy with the product as I am on the WSM, but I have more practice smoking on that cooker.  The issue that trips me up is temp monitoring.  The BGE thermo is in the dome and I've read that it sucks.  It works fine for steaks, pizza, and wok cooking because that is all high temp stuff.  I use Thermoworks smoke and mounted the grate thermometer, but I just didn't trust it and couldn't get consistent readings.  It was wildly different from the dome thermo.

That said, my issue is likely impatience.  It doesn't help that my husband is like the dad from The Christmas Story.

We’re going to try snd do some this Sunday. I’ve been having trouble getting it scorching hot. I’m going to go pick up a chimney. I’ve just been using s one of those natural starter cubes so I think that will help get the fire going.
Check your air flow and fuel. If both of those are good, you will get plenty hot. Chimney won't do anything except maybe speed it up.

I picked up a 12lb packer at HEB.  $2.99/lb, bastards.  It was the smallest they had. They didn't have a prime one for less than 15 pounds.

It's in my garage fridge.  I soaked some mesquite chunks in water.  Lighting the fire at 7am.  It'll be ready for dinner.  Taking the leftovers to poker at a friend's Saturday night.

On 6/25/2018 at 9:07 AM, ohchaucer said:

I have this in black and the XL size. It is very worth it if you have parties frequently or want to do bread or other baking in the kamado. 

3 hours ago, horncyclist said:

What's the Surly view on big green egg v kamado Joe v other?

Consensus seems to be that BGE is the gold standard while Primo and Vision also produce quality cookers.  IIRC Kamado Joe has been spoken well of, too.  Accessory edge to BGE.  Some like Primo’s oval shape for large cuts of meat.  Probably couldn’t go wrong with any of the four, so up to personal tastes and budget.

Full disclosure: I’ve had a large BGE for 8 years and have loved it.  It’s totally exposed to the elements and has weathered them well.  Can vouch for its quality.

Edited by solamente73
English is hard

I picked up a 12lb packer at HEB.  $2.99/lb, bastards.  It was the smallest they had. They didn't have a prime one for less than 15 pounds.
It's in my garage fridge.  I soaked some mesquite chunks in water.  Lighting the fire at 7am.  It'll be ready for dinner.  Taking the leftovers to poker at a friend's Saturday night.

I don’t think there’s any point in soaking chips or chunks, unless for some reason you want steam.

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I don’t think there’s any point in soaking chips or chunks, unless for some reason you want steam.

Yeah, I did for about 3 hours last night before taking them out. I have no idea if it makes a difference.

On 7/7/2018 at 10:09 PM, RD3 said:

Yeah, I did for about 3 hours last night before taking them out. I have no idea if it makes a difference.

This is at 165degF and right before wrapping in foil for the "Texas Crutch".

DhiB5InVAAE0PLL.jpg:large

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:40 AM, horncyclist said:

What's the Surly view on big green egg v kamado Joe v other?

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, solamente73 said:

Consensus seems to be that BGE is the gold standard while Primo and Vision also produce quality cookers.  IIRC Kamado Joe has been spoken well of, too.  Accessory edge to BGE.  Some like Primo’s oval shape for large cuts of meat.  Probably couldn’t go wrong with any of the four, so up to personal tastes and budget.

Full disclosure: I’ve had a large BGE for 8 years and have loved it.  It’s totally exposed to the elements and has weathered them well.  Can vouch for its quality.

Pretty much agree with solamente above.  I have a KJ Big Joe and a Joe Jr.  Prior, I had the regular Joe size KJ.  Sold it and picked up the Big Joe and Joe Jr at the Costco road show.  It was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up.  One of the reasons I went with the Classic Joe instead of the BGE way back when was that the KJ came with a bunch of accessories included that BGE was charging extra for at the time.  Made the KJ a better value for in essences the same product.  Don't know it that's still the case or not.  I don't think you can go wrong with any of the BGE/KJ/Primo.  Don't know anything about the Vision though.  There is a reason these ceramics have gotten so popular.  I use mine 4 - 5 times a week and can't remember the last time I fired up the gas grill.

One other thought.  KJ has come out with a Joe-tisserie for both the Classic size and the Big Joe.  Have to purchase it separately.  I don't know if they work on the BGE or not.  They may very well.  Regardless, it is a phenomenal accessory.  If you can use one and haven't purchased one yet, do it.  You won't regret it.  Was looking at that pic of the smoked prime rib Pencil Pusher posted above.  Looks fantastic.  Reminded me of the last one I did but I did it on the Joe-tisserie.  Spinning it took it to the next level.  You can also get aftermarket baskets so that you can spin wings or anything else you can think of in the basket.  The chicken wings taste incredible spun on the Joe-tisserie.

I plan on joining the club.  I am looking at the BGE Large and the Kamado Joe Classic.  I'm leaning KJ because some of the new things on the KJ's supposedly improve a lot.  Lift hinge, multiple piece firebox, improved chimney.  I also like that it comes together with accessories to grill/smoke out of the box vs buying everything separate.  Although I am guessing they probably cost roughly the same with everything purchased.  I have no idea if these are actual improvements or I am just falling for marketing ploys though as I am a newb at this.

28 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I plan on joining the club.  I am looking at the BGE Large and the Kamado Joe Classic.  I'm leaning KJ because some of the new things on the KJ's supposedly improve a lot.  Lift hinge, multiple piece firebox, improved chimney.  I also like that it comes together with accessories to grill/smoke out of the box vs buying everything separate.  Although I am guessing they probably cost roughly the same with everything purchased.  I have no idea if these are actual improvements or I am just falling for marketing ploys though as I am a newb at this.

Welcome to the club Gene.  I don't think you can go wrong with either the KJ or the BGE.  See the couple of posts of mine right above yours.  I went KJ because at the time the included accessories made it a better value than the BGE.  And the KJ customer service is OUTSTANDING.  World Class.  I'll say I am a heavy user of my KJ and have never had an issue with any of them.  Whichever you choose, get ready to enjoy some of the best meat of your life in the near future. :)

Alright, I've been monkeying around with this thing and I have some questions. I cooked that steak in post 205 and everything went as planned. But since then I've struggled to get temps up. I have next to no ash in my little ash chamber compartment (Primo round) and I'm wondering if ash is clogging the air flow somewhere. I'm sure going through enough lump. I'm emptied a large bag of cowboy lump and my chamber is only about 1/4 full yet I still have little to no ash in the bottom. Is there a method to beating down the stash of coals to clear the airway and sweep ash out? 

Picked up 3 racks of baby backs from Costco yesterday.  Planning to smoke them this weekend, and I must admit that I'm pretty much a n00b.  I've watched the Franklin videos and some others.  Seems easy enough, but I have some pretty basic questions.

1. When do you place/fill the water pan?  I plan to start the fire, place the heat deflector, place and fill the water pan, place the grills, and then close and work on getting to correct temp.  Any issues with that plan?

2. Is it important to keep the racks full size, or can I cut in half in order to fit them easier?  I don't think this will be an issue after the small amount of trimming discussed in the Franklin video, but just in case.

3. Franklin does his spare ribs at 275, which seems higher than the 225 - 250 consensus.  He also seems to do more of a 2-2 and doesn't put them back on "naked" after being in foil.  Guess this isn't much of a question.  My plan is to do the 3-2-1.

4. Nobody seems to care about the temperature of the ribs themselves as far as knowing when they're done.  Just make sure they're progressing and feel nice when you think they're done?

Any other first time pointers welcomed.  I do plan to protect the ends with foil as suggested by solamonte73.

21 minutes ago, Spoosner said:

Picked up 3 racks of baby backs from Costco yesterday.  Planning to smoke them this weekend, and I must admit that I'm pretty much a n00b.  I've watched the Franklin videos and some others.  Seems easy enough, but I have some pretty basic questions.

1. When do you place/fill the water pan?  I plan to start the fire, place the heat deflector, place and fill the water pan, place the grills, and then close and work on getting to correct temp.  Any issues with that plan?

2. Is it important to keep the racks full size, or can I cut in half in order to fit them easier?  I don't think this will be an issue after the small amount of trimming discussed in the Franklin video, but just in case.

3. Franklin does his spare ribs at 275, which seems higher than the 225 - 250 consensus.  He also seems to do more of a 2-2 and doesn't put them back on "naked" after being in foil.  Guess this isn't much of a question.  My plan is to do the 3-2-1.

4. Nobody seems to care about the temperature of the ribs themselves as far as knowing when they're done.  Just make sure they're progressing and feel nice when you think they're done?

Any other first time pointers welcomed.  I do plan to protect the ends with foil as suggested by solamonte73.

I never use a water pan for ribs.  I use a rib rack for the ribs. I can get 5 racks easily on a L using rib racks.  Also, for baby backs I do 2-2-1 as opposed to 3-2-1. 

Alright, I've been monkeying around with this thing and I have some questions. I cooked that steak in post 205 and everything went as planned. But since then I've struggled to get temps up. I have next to no ash in my little ash chamber compartment (Primo round) and I'm wondering if ash is clogging the air flow somewhere. I'm sure going through enough lump. I'm emptied a large bag of cowboy lump and my chamber is only about 1/4 full yet I still have little to no ash in the bottom. Is there a method to beating down the stash of coals to clear the airway and sweep ash out? 

I always stir the used charcoal before adding more, so that the ash falls through. Also, overfilling the firebox can make it hard to get good air flow.

Just got the large green egg.  What accessories should I get?  Digi Q?  Or is there something better.  I’ve done a lot of smoking on the stick burners we have at my ranch.  But got this for the house.  I have the ceramic heat shield thing.  The egg lighter. And a pizza stone.  

Just got the large green egg.  What accessories should I get?  Digi Q?  Or is there something better.  I’ve done a lot of smoking on the stick burners we have at my ranch.  But got this for the house.  I have the ceramic heat shield thing.  The egg lighter. And a pizza stone.  

Spider, 16” wok, a round cast iron griddle, pizza stone.

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Congrats!  You’re gonna love it.

Given what you have already, build this to maximize area for raised grilling and multilevel smoking/roasting.  Rigid grilling tongs for arranging coals.  Rib and roast rack is cheap and handy.

With regard to a computer, DigiQ.  That said, personally I think it’s a moral imperative to master one’s pit before turning it over to a computer.  You say you have experience with stick burners, so you already have the food prep down, and it probably wouldn’t take you that long to master the standards on a BGE.  Plus, you’ll know your pit’s quirks and can set it up the computer accordingly.

Looking forward to pics of food cooked!

Edited by solamente73

In addition to what you said: v-rack, thermapen, kick ash basket, Lodge gloves, ash vac. Couple rolls of heavy duty foil. Pile of old towels and a shitty cooler (I use an old one with no drain in it).

Don’t pay for a pizza stone. Go to the hardware store and get and unglazed ceramic tile for a buck.

Thanks for all the recs guys.  I’m going to order the digi q today.  I need to run a fire in it before cooking. The guy at Berings told me to follow the video on the BGE website for the initial burn.  Is that correct?

I don’t know why you’d need to do an initial burn. Just don’t go high heat for your first cook, supposed to be bad for the gasket.

On 7/15/2018 at 11:48 PM, Baboontyme said:

Yes.  Look up kick ash basket.

• Like 1