Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

I've been planning to purchase a kamado style grill for several months.  Researched Green Eggs, Kamado Joes, and Visions.  Since I don't want to drop $1000+ for the set up, I decided to go with the Vision.  Today, Home Depot dropped the price of the Vision Grill Kamado Pro from $699 to $599 so I pulled the trigger.  Price includes rolling stand, side tables, and cover.  Should have it in time for Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

I have the Vision in Orange and really like it. Have yet to use it as a proper smoker although I've done some slow cooked wings and drumsticks and it holds a steady temp nicely.  The key is to not let it get too hot too fast which that model tends to do - once you do it takes a while to cool back down. Whatever the recommended vent settings are for what you're trying to do, do about half of that at first. 

For the money, it's been great. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

Nice looking grill.  I have the exact same one.  What ceramic stones did you get - generic or the one from Vision with the holder?  

I bought 2 - 15" half stones and 1 - 13" full stone along with a large woo ring from the Ceramic Grill Store.  Should be more versatile than the simple vision lava stone.

Got the grill up to 250 degrees this morning, placed a butt on the rack , and it has held steady for five hours so far. (...mom's butt and rack, etc)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spoosner said:

Anybody smoked a turkey on theirs? (I have the exact same vision setup as above)

Recipes? Lessons learned?

I did a turkey on my (knock off Egg) last year.  Best T-Day Turkey I've ever had.   Mine has enough space for a 20-22 lb or so bird.   Did a Tony Cachere/butter injection;

1.5 sticks of butter 

3 Tablespoons of Tony Cachere

Melt the butter and mix in the seasoning.   Inject the bird with as much being put into the breasts as possible.  Also did a light "rub" on the outside with a dusting of Tony Cachere's.   Smoked it at 12 minutes per pound @ 325 degrees.   The best part about doing this is having the oven free for everything else.   Plus, I get to sit outside and monitor (drink) .

22 hours ago, Spoosner said:

Anybody smoked a turkey on theirs? (I have the exact same vision setup as above)

Recipes? Lessons learned?

To piggyback, I'd like to smoke one but would need to reheat later it as I'll have to bring it on a 6 hour drive the next day. Anyone smoked one and reheated it roughly 24/48 hours later? Did it dry out unmerciful? Storage, handling, reheating tips?

TIA

19 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I did a turkey on my (knock off Egg) last year.  Best T-Day Turkey I've ever had.   Mine has enough space for a 20-22 lb or so bird.   Did a Tony Cachere/butter injection;

1.5 sticks of butter 

3 Tablespoons of Tony Cachere

Melt the butter and mix in the seasoning.   Inject the bird with as much being put into the breasts as possible.  Also did a light "rub" on the outside with a dusting of Tony Cachere's.   Smoked it at 12 minutes per pound @ 325 degrees.   The best part about doing this is having the oven free for everything else.   Plus, I get to sit outside and monitor (drink) .

Done a few fairly similar.  All came out great.  As long as you monitor your temps, it's hard to really screw it up.  Drank a good amount of beer.  Then me and the FIL de-boned, drank more beer.  And hid from our wives.  

*never smoked, cooled, then re-heated.  Be worried about drying it out.  Not like a brisket.  You could de-bone the bird, put in a foil pan, pour the juices back over the meat, then cover in foil.  To reheat, out the whole mixture in the oven?  Probably work.  

11 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm planning to smoke one on the kamado and spatchcock and roast one on the Weber this year.  I just need to see if my temp probes are long enough that I can use on both grills at the same time.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe-1950271

I use the Alton Brown method and use Apple wood for smoke flavor. I cook two smaller birds as opposed to one large bird.  They come out great.

Got my Large BGE. Super stoked to try my first run.

I also got the eggstender. I like have the second level and also ease of taking out ceramic conveggtor for adding anymore wood/charcoal.

Do y’all with the eggstender use it regularly or to you ever convert back to without it for brisket or ribs or anything? The second level looks like it could be used for other racks, chicken, etc...

Thanks and will post pics at some point with my deliciousness.

Did a 10lb ham for my first cook on the BGE yesterday. Was a spiral cut HEB ham. It had glaze packs in it put I didn’t use those.

I injected all over with one 12oz bottle of maple syrup 48-hours before. I thought I was cooking following day as 24 hours is all it needs. But ended up cooking a day later.

I then splashed a little salt and pepper dry rub around it several hours before tossing it on.

I cooked for four and a half hours at 225-250 degrees.

At hour three I applied the first coat of glaze. 1 cup of honey and one cup of brown sugar mixed. At hour four I dumped the rest on it.

Internal was 140+ when I took it off.

Unreal...hard to imagine one of the best hams I’ve ever had I cooked myself. Played off recipe I found on youtube,

No pics right now but may take some with leftovers tomorrow for breakfast before the Horn. My bad as I was all focused on the shiny, falling off bone, goodness that was in front of me.

Will never buy a honey baked ham again. Ever...this was x 10.

Did a 10lb ham for my first cook on the BGE yesterday. Was a spiral cut HEB ham. It had glaze packs in it put I didn’t use those.
I injected all over with one 12oz bottle of maple syrup 48-hours before. I thought I was cooking following day as 24 hours is all it needs. But ended up cooking a day later.
I then splashed a little salt and pepper dry rub around it several hours before tossing it on.
I cooked for four and a half hours at 225-250 degrees.
At hour three I applied the first coat of glaze. 1 cup of honey and one cup of brown sugar mixed. At hour four I dumped the rest on it.
Internal was 140+ when I took it off.
Unreal...hard to imagine one of the best hams I’ve ever had I cooked myself. Played off recipe I found on youtube,
No pics right now but may take some with leftovers tomorrow for breakfast before the Horn. My bad as I was all focused on the shiny, falling off bone, goodness that was in front of me.
Will never buy a honey baked ham again. Ever...this was x 10.

So it was already cooked?

Spatchcocked a 12.5 lb turkey.  Used the Tony Cachere cajun butter injector and used 1 ounce per pound of bird.  Smoked on the BGE at 300 degrees for 2 hours.  Pulled the bird at 155 degrees and tented in foil.  Internal temp rose to 165ish degrees.  Let rest for 1 hour then carved.  It was the best bird I have ever smoked.  The family was ecstatic   They ate the whole thing and ignored the smoked ham.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to fire up the primo to make a pizza last night. It was cold, probably in the 20s. I haven't used it in a couple of months. Fucking lid was frozen shut. I hit it with the propane torch a bit but didn't want to do too much and burn the felt gasket. I pulled so hard to open that lid up I lifted the thing out of the cart for a second before giving up. Wtf? Anyone had this happen before? I want to grill this week. 

2 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I was going to fire up the primo to make a pizza last night. It was cold, probably in the 20s. I haven't used it in a couple of months. Fucking lid was frozen shut. I hit it with the propane torch a bit but didn't want to do too much and burn the felt gasket. I pulled so hard to open that lid up I lifted the thing out of the cart for a second before giving up. Wtf? Anyone had this happen before? I want to grill this week. 

light some shit on fire and drop it in through the top.  Add some fuel and let it warm up from the inside.  

Stop living in Canada.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

light some shit on fire and drop it in through the top.  Add some fuel and let it warm up from the inside.  

Yep.  I'd light a chimney full of coals and dump it in through the top once it's going.  That should provide enough heat to get it to melt.

4 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Shit, I have a BGE in one of the coldest places in the lower 48 and I've never had this happen.  Granted, I keep it covered and we don't get a lot of humidity out here.

It's really strange, it's pretty dry here once the cold air hits, too.

I did a chimney of briqs and it opened right up within 10 minutes. Weirdness. There is a small part of the gasket where the lid lining is stuck to the base lining near the hinge but that's it. No way that was holding it together so tightly. 

2 minutes ago, HouTex said:

That's what I did. They are hard to screw up and you can quickly get a feel for how your BGE smokes.

Got my Vision about a month ago and a pork butt was the first thing.  Since then:  chicken wings, beef ribs, pork ribs, pork loin, and a turkey. Smoking salmon this weekend. 

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 12:53 PM, Baboontyme said:

It's really strange, it's pretty dry here once the cold air hits, too.

I did a chimney of briqs and it opened right up within 10 minutes. Weirdness. There is a small part of the gasket where the lid lining is stuck to the base lining near the hinge but that's it. No way that was holding it together so tightly. 

What was your last cook? You may have melted the gasket and when you closed it the last time, it sealed together when it cooled.

Edited by CooterBrown