High Point @ Texas 7pm on LHN

SDG

we are so robotic and predictable when we start our "offense". Big 12 teams are going to eat us alive forcing us late into the shot clock, where our piss poor shooting will show.

I am so ready to move on.  a real basketball team would beat high point by 40 without their leading scorer.

4 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I haven't seen Hepa play much this season but he's a starter now? Maybe I just haven't been paying attention

Not a starter.  In fact, this is might be the most PT he’s had all season.  So far, he’s  got a block, three points and hustles on D,  

24 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

baker is going to be a 4 year waste of a scholarship.  that FT from Liddell was hilarious it was almost an airball that was going to the side of the rim.

High Point giving us a game.  awesome.

He plays like he’s 6 inches shorter on defense.  That’s an unpleasant surprise.   

33 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Holy shit you dumbasses.  Writing off Baker half way through his freshman year before conference play when he has played very limited minutes.  At least give him another year and possibly a new coach before considering 

I think you are right except he was supposed to be a good shooter.

i think he is still o’fer from three so far.

49 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Holy shit you dumbasses.  Writing off Baker half way through his freshman year before conference play when he has played very limited minutes.  At least give him another year and possibly a new coach before considering 

yeah, I was overstating he'll be a 4 year waste.  Maybe its just that the kid should have been ranked a low 4 star.  a  high 4 or 5 star has way more skill than this.  good news is he is a 4 year player so yes he will get better and by jr year will probably be worth the scholarship.

I'll be honest, I never saw his high school video, only going by what I am seeing now.

just woke up, and when i saw that we'd scored 89 i said, "So I guess Jase Febres probably just wasted his good shooting night on the worst team in America". click on the box score and the headline reads, "Febres shooting leads Texas over High Point." and then i laughed, knowing that Baylor is up next. 

i posted a bit about Will Baker before he got here since I'd seen him in person seeing as he and KJ were teammates, and i was totally unimpressed with him then. i not only didn't see a five star player, i didn't see someone Texas should even be offering. i also posted about how the word on the street was that his work ethic sucks, that's he's always had everything he ever wanted, and that basketball was just a thing he did because he was tall, which totally checked out based on his lackluster play and doughy physique. i've been nonplussed with him for a long time now, and i'm still waiting to understand how he got ranked so highly.

Also, just one more note- "5 star" used to mean "top 4-8 player in the country"; it used to mean Anthony Davis, DLo Russell, Derrick Rose, etc. Now there's like 30+ "five stars" every year, it's stupid. 

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

just woke up, and when i saw that we'd scored 89 i said, "So I guess Jase Febres probably just wasted his good shooting night on the worst team in America". click on the box score and the headline reads, "Febres shooting leads Texas over High Point." and then i laughed, knowing that Baylor is up next. 

He will shoot well against Baylor

10 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

i posted a bit about Will Baker before he got here since I'd seen him in person seeing as he and KJ were teammates, and i was totally unimpressed with him then. i not only didn't see a five star player, i didn't see someone Texas should even be offering. i also posted about how the word on the street was that his work ethic sucks, that's he's always had everything he ever wanted, and that basketball was just a thing he did because he was tall, which totally checked out based on his lackluster play and doughy physique. i've been nonplussed with him for a long time now, and i'm still waiting to understand how he got ranked so highly.

Also, just one more note- "5 star" used to mean "top 4-8 player in the country"; it used to mean Anthony Davis, DLo Russell, Derrick Rose, etc. Now there's like 30+ "five stars" every year, it's stupid. 

I saw him in person this summer and was surprised by how poor his physique was. He doesn’t look like a D1 athlete other than being tall, of course.

Also, for the record, he wasn’t a 5 star by the end of the cycle, but he was 35th in the country, which was still way too high. His offer list didn’t match that of a 5 star either, so not sure what made him get so highly rated during the recruiting process. 

Baker needs a ton of work.  Currently, he doesn't look like a starter on most teams.  He'll need the flip to switch after a couple years of hard work to even get a summer league roster fill invite at the next level.  He has shown a couple of glimpses (few and far between because of how he is used) of good hands, + passing skill, length on defense (despite little vertical lift), and a nice touch around the basket.  This staff needs to firmly shut down the 3 point green light for him.  It's not doing the team or him any good.  He needs to be drilled on how to post up and box out ...  He should be used as a big in/near the key who can receive a pass and quickly pass to another teammate.  This tiptoeing around the 3 point line after a very high screen and BS about jacking up 3 pointers when your 7 foot tall and not Dirk needs to end.

Once he shows some consistent desire to play to his size, hits a few close shots and 2 point jumpers, THEN maybe give him the green light to shoot a wide open three as a 3rd or 4th option.  

Baker is clearly not a 1 or 2 and done guy, but a good coaching staff could mold him into an asset and get some non-garbage time use out of him  In the very least he could easily be slotted into a 2-3 zone today and be a formidable wall in the paint with a little coaching about verticality and leverage.  He's kind of the new James Banks who looks "off" here but could excel with a coaching staff that teaches him to maximize his physical anomalies.

Otherwise, encourage him to transfer and recruit some guy who is built to play the role.  

The fact Baker is not NBA ready as a freshman doesn't mean he's as good as he will ever be.  It's nonsensical to suggest any player is a "bust" until about midway through the junior year.

Was he overrated by recruiting services?  Sure.  There's a ton of subjectively and popularity/exposure factors in recruiting rankings.  With a teenager who is not a 5-star who plays like a grown man, you have to look at potential.  Being really tall, able to run without stumbling, and having good hands certainly get you more exposure that the 6'6" small school, center who will get a mid-tier school scholarship, grow a couple inches in college, and manhandle someone like the current version of Baker.

In short, I see promise and potential in Baker, but it's only accessible if he is used in the right way.  He needs a lot of inside play coaching up and toughening up rather than "shoot whenever you want" glad-handing.  Our coaching staff seems okay with the players exhibiting inconsistent technique and soft habits.  It's like they think the James Harden "you be you" coaching approach will work for teenagers.  Give me Billy Donovan... sadly, Billy Gillespie would be an improvement when it comes to showing a little fire.

[end of rant]

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VinyVango said:

Baker needs a ton of work.  Currently, he doesn't look like a starter on most teams.  He'll need the flip to switch after a couple years of hard work to even get a summer league roster fill invite at the next level.  He has shown a couple of glimpses (few and far between because of how he is used) of good hands, + passing skill, length on defense (despite little vertical lift), and a nice touch around the basket.  This staff needs to firmly shut down the 3 point green light for him.  It's not doing the team or him any good.  He needs to be drilled on how to post up and box out ...  He should be used as a big in/near the key who can receive a pass and quickly pass to another teammate.  This tiptoeing around the 3 point line after a very high screen and BS about jacking up 3 pointers when your 7 foot tall and not Dirk needs to end.

Once he shows some consistent desire to play to his size, hits a few close shots and 2 point jumpers, THEN maybe give him the green light to shoot a wide open three as a 3rd or 4th option.  

Baker is clearly not a 1 or 2 and done guy, but a good coaching staff could mold him into an asset and get some non-garbage time use out of him  In the very least he could easily be slotted into a 2-3 zone today and be a formidable wall in the paint with a little coaching about verticality and leverage.  He's kind of the new James Banks who looks "off" here but could excel with a coaching staff that teaches him to maximize his physical anomalies.

Otherwise, encourage him to transfer and recruit some guy who is built to play the role.  

The fact Baker is not NBA ready as a freshman doesn't mean he's as good as he will ever be.  It's nonsensical to suggest any player is a "bust" until about midway through the junior year.

Was he overrated by recruiting services?  Sure.  There's a ton of subjectively and popularity/exposure factors in recruiting rankings.  With a teenager who is not a 5-star who plays like a grown man, you have to look at potential.  Being really tall, able to run without stumbling, and having good hands certainly get you more exposure that the 6'6" small school, center who will get a mid-tier school scholarship, grow a couple inches in college, and manhandle someone like the current version of Baker.

In short, I see promise and potential in Baker, but it's only accessible if he is used in the right way.  He needs a lot of inside play coaching up and toughening up rather than "shoot whenever you want" glad-handing.  Our coaching staff seems okay with the players exhibiting inconsistent technique and soft habits.  It's like they think the James Harden "you be you" coaching approach will work for teenagers.  Give me Billy Donovan... sadly, Billy Gillespie would be an improvement when it comes to showing a little fire.

[end of rant]

This is a fantastic post--extremely rational, considerate, and prescient.

In short, your kind is not welcome here and you have been negged.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1