Texas @ #6 Baylor- Saturday, January 4th, 7pm on ESPN2

Goo Punch

Baylor is once again a really good team, having already knocked off Nova, Arizona, and Butler. They are well rounded with few weaknesses. They play a lot of guys with regularity, and while Jared Butler is clearly their best player, they have any number of guys who can beat you any number of ways on any given night. They also have a major coaching advantage in the matchup between Scott Drew and Shaka Smart. Could get ugly. Here's more pertinent info:

93602d19b3e869ec8ec8d1b2b4e572ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what that chart means, but I'm assuming we come in as 12-14 point underdogs and lose by 20.  

Has anything good ever happened in Waco on a Saturday night?  

Tristan Clark is still not himself. He was a force before his season ending injury last year. Gillespie is good though and the guards are fair but not great. Baylor has yet to put together a complete game. Conference brings out the best in teams so I expect a good game. Baylor has been guilty of hot starts and poor second halves so if the Horns can stay in it thru the first half then it could go either way. jmho.

Baylor will zone us to death and make use live/die by the outside shot.  We'll need to at least pretend to want to get the ball inside to make them break a sweat and consider the need to sag a bit and/or have more than one man playing interior defense.  Our standing around, 4 and 5 out looks on offense will allow them to play aggressive and extend their zone more against us than they would a team with a desire to get the ball inside.   

With zones it's about finding and accepting passes and driving into the gray / weaker areas to make two guys collapse and open up space for drives and shots, which is not so easy unless the passer/driver plays without hesitation and the guys accepting passes inside the zone use strength and leverage to maintain their space.  Ironically, Baker's hands, size, and (alleged) shooting ability could've made him useful in this game if he'd been developed/taught/used as an interior post at all during the past 12 games.   

If our guards can get inside against Baylor's aggressive zone, Baylor will eventually sag a bit back off Ramey and Coleman to limit their driving lanes and make the stationary Febres heave contested, rushed shots from the outside corners all night.  I anticipate we will gladly accept the option of living and dying by the long ball rather than attempting to get inside and draw fouls.

On defense, Baylor will force Sims (or his back-up) to come outside the paint when we play man and will drive the paint against our smaller guys.  Defense and rebounding of our 2nd big like Kai, Liddell, or Febres (who Shaka loves to basically use as our PF defender in the small ball line-up) will be a huge factor in how this and most of our games this year go.  I can see them getting to the line a lot in Waco.

We are a competent defending team more often than not.  Absent some high-scoring game by Febres where more than 1/3 of his shots find the net, this game will boil down to our PGs being focused on driving inside to create open passes and draw fouls, and them making a few open shots at times Baylor decides to sag off to close the driving lanes.  We can't afford our guards to be hesitant, dribbling for 15 seconds while trying to direct traffic for stationary targets.

They also have a major coaching advantage in the matchup between Scott Drew and Shaka Smart.

God damnit.

I remember when we had Rick Barnes and would get kicked in the collective dick by national media about Rick Barnes' coaching shortcomings...and we could comfort ourselves by saying well, at least he's not that dumb fuck Scott Drew.

And now look at us.

On 12/31/2019 at 11:19 AM, El Diablo said:

Tristan Clark is still not himself. He was a force before his season ending injury last year. Gillespie is good though and the guards are fair but not great. Baylor has yet to put together a complete game. Conference brings out the best in teams so I expect a good game. Baylor has been guilty of hot starts and poor second halves so if the Horns can stay in it thru the first half then it could go either way. jmho.

tenor (5).gif