Shohei Ohtani

Firemans4Horn

On 7/8/2021 at 12:20 PM, Huckleberry said:

Ohtani isn't looking up at anyone right how. Career production is a perfectly valid way of comparing players but right now, at this moment, Ohtani is the best baseball player in the world. To me it's weird to think otherwise. A lot of that is probably because it's strange to me to wonder if he's a flash in the pan because he's been famous for being ridiculously good at baseball for almost a decade now.

Injuries are the main thing to really worry about curtailing his production and that doesn't mean he's not an all time great player. Bo Jackson is rightfully considered one of the greatest athletes of all time and didn't really do shit after getting hurt at 28 years old. 

i don't disagree with any of this, but calling him the greatest player in generations was going a bit far.

I can't understand what most Americans who have a problem with foreigners in our professional sports leagues are themselves saying most of the time, so I'm cool with Ohtani.  If he can learn to say "like" 4 times in a sentence and then maybe "get 'r done", he'll be on a cereal box by Labor Day.  I barely understand what the fuck Stephen A. Smith is talking about most of the time and he's a multi-decade professional broadcaster.  

32 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Stephen a smith had a tough day concerning him. Not getting cloak roomie so you can look it up if you care.

9 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

was it really a politically incorrect statement though?  it would definitely help him connect to more fans if he spoke their language, spanish or english.  just think of how much more facetime he'd get on camera.

Leave it to these two to discuss something with zero context (like we all watch Stephen A every day).

Just post it. How is this CR at all?

Some of what he says is prescient. Like the fact that baseball is played in America and that having an interpreter might ultimately affect your market value. 

Some of what he says I don't buy. That stars like Ohtani are hurting baseball because they aren't American. Fuck that. People see this guy's hitting and pitching numbers and they don't care if he's from Mars. It's reason enough to tune in. 

I'm glad you posted it, first time I heard it I missed the last few seconds where he said Ohtani's situation is actually hurting the game. It's a bad take, there's no opportunity cost where Ohtani's stealing someone else's thunder.

I caught his last 2 ABs tonight. He got Ked on an 0-3 count although 2 of the strikes burned the outside edge - just fantastic pitches. 2nd (or 4th) at bat was better - reached outside for a couple good foul tips and ended up popping out. Whoever was throwing for the As just had his number (he did double early on, though). 

Tough night for the Angels. 

Edited by ztejas

I think it's great that we're seeing Ohtani at this point in his career in the States and that we didn't have to wait until his late twenties to see his debut. 

I spent ten summers over in Japan watching a lot of baseball over there and you don't see too many Japanese guys with this kind of body. Size wise, he kind of reminds me of Kazuhiro Kiyohara but obviously a better version. 

Can't wait to see this kid play in early August in Arlington. 

• Fuck You 1

On 7/26/2021 at 3:03 AM, Sweetnsourpoke said:

I think it's great that we're seeing Ohtani at this point in his career in the States and that we didn't have to wait until his late twenties to see his debut. 

I spent ten summers over in Japan watching a lot of baseball over there and you don't see too many Japanese guys with this kind of body. Size wise, he kind of reminds me of Kazuhiro Kiyohara but obviously a better version. 

Can't wait to see this kid play in early August in Arlington. 

I am hoping MLB gets ahold of this Munetaka Murakami kid soon. Owns the record for homers as a teen.  Has 108 now as a 21-year-old with about 2.66 seasons as 1B for the Yakult Swallows. He's not quite as tall as Ohtani, but at 6'2", 210 he's plenty big enough.  His career numbers are ahead of Ohtani's at the same age by a considerable distance but Ohtani really turned it on at age 21 and he had slightly better numbers than Murakami's are this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Fucking injuries man.  Angels aren't good enough to overcome the injuries.  Today they announced that Rendon is done for the year.   Who knows wtf is going on with Trout.  

It's nuts they probably miss the playoffs with a dude having maybe one of the greatest, what, 20 seasons ever? (and with another top 5 player on the roster)

Better hope he has some more of these years in the tank. Windows can always shut quickly.

Edited by ztejas

• 2 weeks later...