Shohei Ohtani

Firemans4Horn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, WBT said:

There are a lot of stupid baseball writers out there but I don't think so

He was 1 vote from unanimous 2nd. I didn't realize there are only 30 voters, though, so maybe not. Basketball has like 130 voters or something so you get stupid shit like someone voting Carmelo over LeBron in 2013. 

• 2 years later...
4 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Sounds fishy. Why would his interpreter have access to his bank accounts?

Ask yourself what MLB would do if Shohei was gambling

He'll play a season in the wnba?  It's always been his dream...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Sounds fishy. Why would his interpreter have access to his bank accounts?

Ask yourself what MLB would do if Shohei was gambling

he's not "just' his interpreter.  They're buds.  I wouldn't be surprised if Ippei took care of Shohei's household business.  Shohei brought him from Japan when he came over to the Angels.  Ippei is a SoCal kid that moved to Japan right after college for the experience and met Shohei there.   Think the TV show "Entourage"

Posted (edited)

Didn't he just get married? Makes perfect sense that wife finds out he gambles and says that shit stops now, pays off his debts, then they realize they need a scapegoat. 

On the other hand if it was part of an intentional plan it would be absurdly stupid not to route the money through the interpreter. No need to have the transfers to the bookie ever have Ohtani's name on them. Which makes the theft story at least plausible. 

Edited by Huckleberry

after allegations of illegal gambling, theft

Shohei Ohtani and interpreter

Photo by: Lee Jin-man/AP
Los Angeles Dodgers designated hitter Shohei Ohtani, right, talks to his interpreter Ippei Mizuhara during the fifth inning of an opening day baseball game against the San Diego Padres at the Gocheok Sky Dome in Seoul, South Korea Wednesday, March 20, 2024, in Seoul, South Korea. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man)

Posted at 3:57 PM, Mar 20, 2024

and last updated 4:10 PM, Mar 20, 2024

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Shohei Ohtani’s interpreter and close friend has been fired by the Los Angeles Dodgers following allegations of illegal gambling and theft from the Japanese baseball star.

Interpreter Ippei Mizuhara was let go from the team Wednesday following reports from The Los Angeles Times and ESPN about his alleged ties to an illegal bookmaker. The team is in South Korea this week as Ohtani makes his Dodgers debut.

Recent Stories from 10news.com

Skip Ad
“In the course of responding to recent media inquiries, we discovered that Shohei has been the victim of a massive theft and we are turning the matter over to the authorities,” law firm Berk Brettler LLP said in a statement Wednesday.

Mizuhara has worked with Ohtani for years and been a constant presence with him in major league clubhouses. When Ohtani left the Los Angeles Angels to sign a $700 million, 10-year contract with the Dodgers in December, the club also hired Mizuhara.

The team did not have an immediate comment Wednesday. Mizuhara's firing was confirmed by Major League Baseball.

Ohtani's stardom has spread worldwide, even as the two-way player has remained largely media-shy. The news of his recent marriage to Mamiko Tanaka shocked fans from Japan to the U.S.

On Tuesday, Mizuhara told ESPN that his bets were on international soccer, the NBA, the NFL and college football. MLB rules prohibit players and team employees from wagering — even legally — on baseball and also ban betting on other sports with illegal or offshore bookmakers.

“I never bet on baseball,” Mizuhara told ESPN. “That’s 100%. I knew that rule... We have a meeting about that in spring training.”

The Associated Press could not immediately reach Mizuhara for comment Wednesday.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

he's not "just' his interpreter.  They're buds.  I wouldn't be surprised if Ippei took care of Shohei's household business.  Shohei brought him from Japan when he came over to the Angels.  Ippei is a SoCal kid that moved to Japan right after college for the experience and met Shohei there.   Think the TV show "Entourage"

Are you his “Turtle”?

I'm gonna f'n laugh my ass off if wonderboy was making the bets. They are obviously lying about some shit as evidenced by the spokesman first saying Ohtani knew it was for gambling, before they reversed course and said Ohtani had no knowledge. at best, Ohtani needs to hire better people. And he's some friend to cover a $4.5M debt for a pal. 

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

MLB covered up that Puig raped a woman during their run to the 2017 WS, they will cover this up as well.

Its a little harder to cover up when the highest paid player in the league has already had his shit put on blast by ESPN and every other sports media site. I dont recall the Puig story coming out until years later. They may be able to pin it on the fall guy, but there's going to be a level of scrutiny on this story that will be orders of magnitude greater than Puig ever was subjected to. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

I'm gonna f'n laugh my ass off if wonderboy was making the bets. They are obviously lying about some shit as evidenced by the spokesman first saying Ohtani knew it was for gambling, before they reversed course and said Ohtani had no knowledge. at best, Ohtani needs to hire better people. And he's some friend to cover a $4.5M debt for a pal. 

of course ohtani was making the bets 

MLB players and personnel are allowed to gamble on anything except baseball. I don’t really care if Ohtani is shooting dice in a dive bar or splitting 8s at Harrah’s, but if there’s even 1 baseball bet that comes back to “his interpreter”… pure chaos is coming 😂😂😂