Marriott Rewards Members

jdhorn92

Ritz and St. Regis are clearly the Crown Jewels. I can recommend the following form staying there, some of these on points:

Ritz properties:  Aruba, Amelia Island, Tahoe, Dove Mountain, Rancho Mirage, New Orleans, Bachelor Gulch, Waikiki (it’s a Ritz Residences but they offer it like a hotel), NYC Central Park.  Also stayed at the one in Dallas several times, but there are better locations obviously

St. Regis: Deer Valley. Houston is nice, but no real reason to go there unless you just happen to need to stay in Houston.

Next steps down are things like JW, and Autpgraph Collection.  Some good locations for both of those.

Great thing about Marriott — stay 4 nights on points and get a 5th night free typically

3 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Ritz and St. Regis are clearly the Crown Jewels. I can recommend the following form staying there, some of these on points:

Ritz properties:  Aruba, Amelia Island, Tahoe, Dove Mountain, Rancho Mirage, New Orleans, Bachelor Gulch, Waikiki (it’s a Ritz Residences but they offer it like a hotel), NYC Central Park.  Also stayed at the one in Dallas several times, but there are better locations obviously

St. Regis: Deer Valley. Houston is nice, but no real reason to go there unless you just happen to need to stay in Houston.

Next steps down are things like JW, and Autpgraph Collection.  Some good locations for both of those.

Great thing about Marriott — stay 4 nights on points and get a 5th night free typically

Good stuff there, agree. Will add that we loved the Renaissance Lodge at Sonoma.

Points don’t go very far at Ritz and St Regis any more. 70-100k a night. But they are pretty nice. 

JW in Cabo is an incredible property. W Punta de Minta is as well. Didn’t really like the Ritz in New Orleans, we preferred the Autograph Collection.

If Vegas is your thing the Cosmopolitan is a Marriott property.

We just spent 10 days at the Marriott in Kauai. Property was not the most high end but the pool was incredible and the points value was great. 

8 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Points don’t go very far at Ritz and St Regis any more. 70-100k a night. But they are pretty nice. 

JW in Cabo is an incredible property. W Punta de Minta is as well. Didn’t really like the Ritz in New Orleans, we preferred the Autograph Collection.

If Vegas is your thing the Cosmopolitan is a Marriott property.

We just spent 10 days at the Marriott in Kauai. Property was not the most high end but the pool was incredible and the points value was great. 

Ahh — if you look around and are flexible on dates, you can get Some of the Ritz locations (yes, good ones) for 50-60k/night.  Again, you have to be flexible, but it can be done.  As I mentioned, if you do 4 nights on points, you get a 5th night free as well.

12 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Ahh — if you look around and are flexible on dates, you can get Some of the Ritz locations (yes, good ones) for 50-60k/night.  Again, you have to be flexible, but it can be done.  As I mentioned, if you do 4 nights on points, you get a 5th night free as well.

The 5th night free is huge. I agree with the flexibility but it just seems we never have that.

5 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

The 5th night free is huge. I agree with the flexibility but it just seems we never have that.

Dates matter somewhat, but the key is checking all of the Ritz locations for whatever dates you have. Location flexibility is as pr more important than date flexibility.  Fortunately, my wife is a master at figuring this stuff out and using our points

Marriott has acquired several small boutique hotel chains as well the you might want to check out. I’ve stayed at some of the Luxury Collection hotels that were really nice. Hotel de Berri in Paris was phenomenal. Ritz properties as mentioned above will always be superb on service (all though sometimes rooms and hotel can be dated)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've typically leveraged our points on beach-type trips.  Not sure how it's recovered from the hurricane in 2018, but we stayed at the Autograph Collection on Scrub Island in BVI and it was awesome.  That was six years ago.  Did Playa Largo (also Autograph Collection) two years ago in Key West and it was nice.  We're considering French Leave Resort in The Bahamas this year.  Most of our Marriott point trips (with the exception of BVI) have been leveraged in conjunction with Southwest points, so we tend to stick near those locations, and I don't have much to offer outside of those areas.  I accrue a significant amount of points, but not a "shit ton", so I've always tried to find point values and avoided splurging on Ritz / St Regis properties.  

On 12/31/2019 at 6:20 PM, AustinMT said:

This is spot on.  Adding to the St. Regis...the NYC one is great.  Had our own butler who unpacked our things for us.  Last night there, realized the only clean dress shirt I had left was a cuff link shirt.  Fuck...forgot my cuff links.  Called the butler hoping for a long shot that maybe they had some in lost and found or something. He showed up 2 minutes later with an array of brand new cuff links neatly laid out on a tray.  I offered to return them the next day and, “no mr landomatic, those are yours to keep complimentary.”  That’s service.

Also, back on topic, we love The Edition properties which are Marriott...kind of a boutique Ritz from our experience.  Highly recommend.  It’s our go-to most of the time whenever we’re in a city that has one.  But they are pretty limited.  Might be Marriott’s best kept secret.

I've stayed at a couple of resorts - Coronado Island (San Diego) was great, the one in Key Largo was fine but not really close to anything interesting. The Fort Lauderdale location has great beach access and views of cruise ships coming/going on certain days.

I do love the Cosmo in Vegas, but they will hit you with like $85/night resort fee.

Ritz Key Biscayne is one I've always wanted to check out

This really depends on how far you want to travel.  If you want to go to SEAsia the Vanna Belle is pretty sweet in Thailand.  There's a bad ass Westin in Jakarta where the lobby is on the 54th floor.  Similar Westin in Singapore.

I echo the comments on the Ritz and St. Regis properties though.  The Ritz in Muscat Oman is an old palace that was recently redone.  Pretty cool city, Muscat.

On 1/2/2020 at 10:51 PM, Jimbaround said:

This really depends on how far you want to travel.  If you want to go to SEAsia the Vanna Belle is pretty sweet in Thailand.  There's a bad ass Westin in Jakarta where the lobby is on the 54th floor.  Similar Westin in Singapore.

I echo the comments on the Ritz and St. Regis properties though.  The Ritz in Muscat Oman is an old palace that was recently redone.  Pretty cool city, Muscat.

I stayed at the JW Jakarta a few years after it got bombed.  Great brunch.

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

St. Regis Grand Hotel in Rome is now owned by Marriott.  Want to burn points?  This is the place.  Category 8 property.

Or do what we did in April, and stay 2 blocks away at the Marriott Anthology COllection Palazzo Naiadi.  Very nice, and save:

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 5:13 PM, 52-80 said:

I stayed at the JW Jakarta a few years after it got bombed.  Great brunch.

I once dropped a bomb at the JW after a great brunch in Austin, so this post hits close to home.

Edited by Landomatic
marriott bomb talk not going away
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2020 at 7:37 PM, AustinMT said:

Or do what we did in April, and stay 2 blocks away at the Marriott Anthology COllection Palazzo Naiadi.  Very nice, and save:

spacer.png

Interesting.  I think it used to be called something like the Hotel Esedra and was not part of Marriott.  That's new.  Both are great locations.  The Grand has a deep and amazing history and has some pretty exclusive clientele, if you care about that.

13 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Interesting.  I think it used to be called something like the Hotel Esedra and was not part of Marriott.  That's new.  Both are great locations.  The Grand has a deep and amazing history and has some pretty exclusive clientele, if you care about that.

The Grand looked awesome.  This one was quite a bit less expensive.