Fuck This Decade: Texas vs. #11 Utah 6:30 on ESPN

msucolt45

30 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Okay.  I finally went back and watched the game. 

We essentially ran three base defensive fronts:

1) The 3-3 Nickel Tite that we've been running all year.  Sometimes flexed out to Okie. Sometimes as a Stack.  Not much to see here.

2) A new, but somewhat anticipated, 4-2 Nickel Over.  I will call it an Over, but how we set the front interior defenders flipped from Over/Under in a fashion that wasn't apparent to me just by watching closely.  It's probably married to coverages in some fashion.  Roach and Ossai alway played wide DEs, so I'm calling it an Over.

---

But here's the crown jewel, the Play #8, if you will:

3) A 5-3 Swarm Flex.  Whatever the opposite of modern, spread, Flyover Football defense is .... that's what this is.  The way it worked is Ojomo and Sweat would sub for a couple DBs.

It looks like this: Coburn at NT(1), Ojomo at SDT(3), Sweat at WDT(5), Graham at SDE (6i), ILBs play Under rules.  It's set to the boundary, so it's backwards, but the rules to this point are essentially the same as Under with Graham tucked in tight.  CBs follow the X and Z.  Sterns is Deep Safety.  Pretty sure it was exclusively Man-1, but you could get creative to mix in zones.

Here's the fun parts:

Roach at Whip (Down 8i) follows the (inline) Y-TE.  He's your 5th DL and usually WDE.

Ossai at Rover Safety/LB, yes you are reading that correctly, follows the (usually off) H-TE.   Play #1 he was lined up as a Boundary Corner isolated 1on1.  Play #2 he was Down 9 beside Graham. Against a FB set, he was Sam.  Against a wing, he was Up 9 next to Roach.  You get the picture, he moves around to keep unfair numbers in the box.  Think jumbo Kam Chancellor.

So this thing beat the shit out of Utah.  I guess Ossai wasn't seen as a mismatch for the Utah TEs because that was never threatened.  The interior pressure killed them. Roach, Graham, and Ossai could passively play contain and letting the DTs flush the pocket.  When you put 5 or 6 on the line, 1v1s are everywhere and that worked in our favor.  Against the run it works the same way with just too many big bodies trying to penetrate.  ILBs had a good game mopping up as well (shout out to Jacques).

I don't think it's repeatable with this personnel grouping against B12 competition but it was awesome for this game.

----

In other notes, various pass-rush packages showed back up: Amoeba was back after not existing all season, Cowboy was back since LaTech/LSU, Buck was still in the rotation. Tite-Stack existed in short yardage when we didn't want to sub.

----

TL/DR: The full 2018 playbook was back.  We added a preview of something close to what Ash might be installing.  And this year's Play #8 (and for me the key to the rout) was a super-jumbo version of an aggressive 90s defense.

I dig it. Instead of bringing in too many DBs that get beat up stopping the run, you bring in too many DL then dare them to try and toss one to a TE over the LB. 

I feel like it's a chance to shine for a LB in coverage as long as the TE isn't a great quick route runner.

Playing cover 1 is no big deal as long as the got damn CBs have some confidence and get their head around and cover. 

I guess the only downside to the 5-3 (or 5-2) is the tempo, they could possibly go hurry-up and gas the big boys up front.

Next year I'd like to see 4-3, 5-2, and a 4-2. Just never rush 3 unless it's got some serious twists or stunts and the guys are really going to able to get some type of pressure.

On 1/2/2020 at 12:27 PM, utee94 said:

Cool, thanks.  I don't recall, do refs have the authority to toss a player for egregious unsportsmanlike?  If so, this would have been a good candidate for that kind of action.

Yes for flagrant unsportsmanlike.   Unsportsmanlike Conduct is a non-contact foul.  It is things like taunting and over celebration.  I've never seen a flagrant unsportsmanlike called with ejection.  It would probably have to be something racist.  Two regular unsportsmanlike conduct fouls is also an automatic ejection.

An official can also eject for a flagrant personal foul.  That push on Sam was a personal foul because it resulted from contact.  Two or more personal foul is not an automatic ejection.  

Edited by CBHorn
misspellings

4 hours ago, Zavala said:

I dig it. Instead of bringing in too many DBs that get beat up stopping the run, you bring in too many DL then dare them to try and toss one to a TE over the LB. 

I feel like it's a chance to shine for a LB in coverage as long as the TE isn't a great quick route runner.

Playing cover 1 is no big deal as long as the got damn CBs have some confidence and get their head around and cover. 

I guess the only downside to the 5-3 (or 5-2) is the tempo, they could possibly go hurry-up and gas the big boys up front.

Next year I'd like to see 4-3, 5-2, and a 4-2. Just never rush 3 unless it's got some serious twists or stunts and the guys are really going to able to get some type of pressure.

Well, it works if you play a beefteam like Utah, which are a dwindling species. Maybe we could run something like it against K-State next year?

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well, it works if you play a beefteam like Utah, which are a dwindling species. Maybe we could run something like it against K-State next year?

I would have liked to see a few plays of that against OU.  Just flood the shit out of that counter.  So Lincoln throws over the top of it or tries to slice it with screens/crosses but Hurts would be doing it from the pocket.  

• Like 1

Missed the game on NYE. Only seen highlights and the box score, but it seems like Keontay Ingram probably should've been offensive MVP. He had some really electric plays. It was cool to see him score on a similar throw-back - and with a contested catch at that - to the one he dropped against LSU. Reliving the sting of that play sucked but it was good to see him get at least a bit of redemption.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Missed the game on NYE. Only seen highlights and the box score, but it seems like Keontay Ingram probably should've been offensive MVP. He had some really electric plays. It was cool to see him score on a similar throw-back - and with a contested catch at that - to the one he dropped against LSU. Reliving the sting of that play sucked but it was good to see him get at least a bit of redemption.

If you'd watched the game (the condensed version on YouTube is 30m), you'd have see DevDuv was the one who deserved OMVP.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Nice video, but the clips of scrawny walk-ons celebrating should be on the cutting room floor. 

Why? They worked just as hard as the starters all season. They did their part too.... especially elevating the team’s academic GPA.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Why? They worked just as hard as the starters all season. They did their part too.... especially elevating the team’s academic GPA.

Because there are some pipe-hitting mutha fuckers who did their part by pipe hittin’ instead of dancing. 

Can’t argue about the GPA, though. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Spelling like a low-GPA mutha fucker

On 1/2/2020 at 11:33 AM, Tex Long said:

Shoulda been at least three fouls on that play: roughing the passer, targeting (even if helmetless), unsportsmanlike conduct... oh, and playing without a helmet. Oh, wait, then another unsportsmanlike conduct.

So penalty from the end of the play is  half the distance, then half the remaining distance, then half of that, and half of that. Um, and half of that, too. And finally, disqualification of the shitstain. And if the rules had any sign of testicular function, the disqualification would be without replacement - play a man short, let's see how that works for you.

Or Zeno's Penalty for short.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...