Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

Some of that 40% are in the military.
They know they are being lied to, and it just doesn't matter.
Because "they all lie", it's a stupid justification, but it's the one they use to rationalize.

Nevermind the fact that "politicians lying" used to mean making campaign promises you won't be able to keep; today Trump has normalized disinformation with alternative facts. If they like the lie they'll ignore that it was said.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, tchookem said:

Because "they all lie", it's a stupid justification, but it's the one they use to rationalize.

Nevermind the fact that "politicians lying" used to mean making campaign promises you won't be able to keep; today Trump has normalized disinformation with alternative facts. If they like the lie they'll ignore that it was said.

Concisely put.

Instead of taking umbrage at being labeled dishonest, Trumpists use the label as a cover to be outright liars. It's maybe the most damaging aspect of both sides; it erodes trust in any person or institution. 

Advantage Putin.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tchookem said:

You seem to forget that Obama "lied" about keeping your doctor under the AHA. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tchookem said:

His lying gives a formally marginalized and rather mediocre portion of our population a supercillious pep to their step.  

52 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's maybe the most damaging aspect of both sides; it erodes trust in any person or institution. 

Advantage Putin.

Exactly.  That is what active measures is about.  Sewing so much distrust and discord that people throw up their hands because they don't know what to believe.  I've witnessed it firsthand already with my FIL.  He is one of the smartest people I know, but he is just full on giving up because he thinks all media is dishonest.  

Rs gleefully go along with it because they are too simple to see what is happening.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Exactly.  That is what active measures is about.  Sewing so much distrust and discord that people throw up their hands because they don't know what to believe.  I've witnessed it firsthand already with my FIL.  He is one of the smartest people I know, but he is just full on giving up because he thinks all media is dishonest.  

Rs gleefully go along with it because they are too simple to see what is happening.

They've been lapping up propaganda from Rush and the Rs about the evil of the media, unions, lawyers, and Congress for years. It's all wrapped in an illusory Liberal bow to make dull-minded hatred even easier. They shake their fist at pictures on FOX while being held upside down and shaken for their few unspent pennies.

I hadn't thought of it before, but Putin's team may have actually learned active measures from the American right. That hate engine was designed to separate the little guy from his few avenues of redress against the powerful. Now they trust the market and corporations. The atmosphere could ignite, and they'd blame wind turbines for doing it.

A well-run hate engine churning through Idiot World is really something to see. We live in great days, my friends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Sowing.

29 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

They've been lapping up propaganda from Rush and the Rs about the evil of the media, unions, lawyers, and Congress for years. It's all wrapped in an illusory Liberal bow to make dull-minded hatred even easier. They shake their fist at pictures on FOX while being held upside down and shaken for their few unspent pennies.

I hadn't thought of it before, but Putin's team may have actually learned active measures from the American right. That hate engine was designed to separate the little guy from his few avenues of redress against the powerful. Now they trust the market and corporations. The atmosphere could ignite, and they'd blame wind turbines for doing it.

A well-run hate engine churning through Idiot World is really something to see. We live in great days, my friends.

Rush, Drudge, and Newt don’t get enough credit for the little machine they created in the 90s that focused on Clinton, and was able to be used later on against anybody they didn’t like.     Rush was the blueprint for Hannity, Tucker, etc.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/540630/

For better or worse America has been leading and influencing the world more than any other country for at least 100 years, probably more. Current times are no exception. 

We’re still today paying for slavery. Trump just being the latest bill to come due. 

39 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Feels like the Holidays killed the momentum and political awareness of the average folk. Hoping it comes roaring back here in January

Picard is hitting CBS's streaming service at the end of the month, so the incels will be occupied for a while as they argue over The Mandalorian and the Kid versus Picard.

Trump knows Iran and Iraq are separate countries, right?  

Jesus you fucking idiot Trumpers, he thinks the Sykes-Picot is some sort of demented boarding school game Eric and Don, Jr. used to play.  

In an email "discussion" this week with an old high school classmate who is a fully bought in Trumpkin, I was told that Trump had been chosen by God and that it was a travesty he had been impeached.

I asked "was Obama chosen by God?"

Classmate:  "No, he's a Muslim".

Me:  "well no, he's a Christian".

Friend links a FactCheck article and says "in the embedded YouTube video Obama admits to being a Muslim".

In point of fact, the article goes out of its way to show how the video has been edited to remove context AND omit the multiple points in that particular incident where he talks about being a Christian.  I mean, it's right there in the text of the article.  The article that allegedly shows "proof" that Obama is a Muslim.  The article that is DISPROVING he's a Muslim.

I can't fucking wrap my head around how people can be this stupid.  This isn't a mean person.  This is an easily fooled person.  The church is telling them what to believe and they don't question it. 

I don't run into people like this often -- it's really jarring.  I mean, it's one thing to see the "Better a Russian than a Democrat" bros, or the neo-Nazis, or the evil shitstains like Nunes, Graham and their followers, but this individual is just plain gullible.  I don't know how to deal with people who are wholly untrained to think for themselves, but hey, 40%.

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

From day 1 he's been itching to play commander in chief and start a war. Tonight, he might have done just that. Before he's done he's going to be wearing a military uniform.

It was a New Year’s resolution to start a war. Plus, he will play the “you can’t vote me out when we’re in a war” card. 

Edited by Jive Turkey

5 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

It was a New Year’s resolution to start a war. Plus, he will play the “you can’t vote me out when we’re in a war” card. 

And no way they can have a trial in the Senate, before we even get to November. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

We can’t hold an election during a war.  It’s sorta like the not confirming a scotus judge during an election year but the reverse of it. And since the Constitution doesn’t allow random president elections, trump automatically gets another 4 years.

Rudy said this might just work.  Can’t hurt to try.

• Like 1

There was a time in history when this was a correct response. Today, with Trump as CIC is not what America wants. He won't have support of Democrats. He won't have support of independents when American blood starts spilling and he'll quickly lose support of Republicans who are on the fence with Trump.

Trump knows this, his best hope is that he can somehow convince Iran not to escalate this. If they do, Trump is fucked......and so are our troops on the tip of the spear.

41 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

From day 1 he's been itching to play commander in chief and start a war. Tonight, he might have done just that. Before he's done he's going to be wearing a military uniform.

Jesus.  Couldn't someone get him a Gnip - Gnop game for Christmas to distract him?  

• Like 1

There was a time in history when this was a correct response. Today, with Trump as CIC is not what America wants. He won't have support of Democrats. He won't have support of independents when American blood starts spilling and he'll quickly lose support of Republicans who are on the fence with Trump.

Trump knows this, his best hope is that he can somehow convince Iran not to escalate this. If they do, Trump is fucked......and so are our troops on the tip of the spear.

In a real deal war, Bone Spurs will get people killed.

I don't know how effective this will be in slowing Iranian aggression. I don't know about lobbing missiles near a civilian airport.

I am tired of us bombing other countries and then announcing the actions to be defensive. It's just wimpy and dumb to call this kind of attack defensive. This labeling is not at all unique to this administration either. We just won't smack somebody in the nose and say that's what we did.

President Donald Trump ordered an airstrike at Baghdad International Airport that killed Qasem Soleimani, a key Iranian military commander, in a "decisive defensive action to protect US personnel abroad" that was intended to deter "future Iranian attack plans," the Pentagon confirmed Thursday.

This is an assassination. Own it.

I'm not convinced this was a great move. I'll have to read more tomorrow. On first look, the act appears to be as many have described above: a vanity murder so Trump can pretend he's a man for a few days.

The world likely hopes to see the US brought down a few pegs after Trump has strutted all over our friends.

This whole thing is pathetic.

• Like 4

Perhaps off topic a bit... 

It's interesting to me that the last two major military actions in the Middle East (with a possible third one underway) have been facilitated by Presidents from the party that calls itself Pro Life.

And yes, I am aware that Presidents from other parties also directed military actions. Use of drone strikes during the Obama administration in particular was something I disagreed with (given, in part, the collateral impacts). 

But Obama's party didn't sell themselves as "Pro Life". 

I'm also mindful of those who hold to Just War theology/philosophy, and understand that the issue is incredibly complex.

But that I rarely see that complexity acknowledged by some of the same persons when they enter into the abortion conversation.

/derail