Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

5 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Oh, great. The next 9-11 will be a nuclear attack.

Is that before or after, Saudi takes out our warfighters being paid to protect the oil? I mean, there is a sunk cost there for the Saudis and Trump to consider because heaven forbid they actually, you know, care about people.

Some of his other statements were interesting. Reporter asks him about Zuckerburg and Trump says, 'I sat down with him and he says, you know what he says? He says you're number one in the world right now." Reporter continues and asks him about Facebook ads. Trump replies, "well, he's going to do whatever he's going to do, you know? I heard he's going to run for President."

5 hours ago, Chooky said:

Whoa.  Look at his appearance in those videos.  He uses bobby pins and clips and shit to bind all of that ridiculous hair together.  I imagine there's also some kind of paste or something.  I'll never get over the elaborate absurdity that is his hair.  This is the guy who finally convinced a small government, fiscally conservative party to uncap spending while handing over empirical power to the executive branch.  It only took an insecure, profane and ignorant fatass to convince them to betray everything they pretended to once represent.  I'll never understand it.

The republicans post 1950s were never conservative or fiscally responsible to begin with. It was a total scam. Maybe some of the republicans actually believed it. They were marks just like everyone else. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HenryJames said:

I recommend reading this in Leon Black's voice when he says "Rockets" over and over again.  The laughter helps with the paralyzing fear that he's going to end my world. 

Today the President has the Intelligence Briefing at noon. Thereafter, he is free to Fox and Fonetweet to his fat heart's content until he boards the plane heading to Florida. This evening he will be delivering remarks at the Republican National Committee Winter Meeting at...wait for it...I know you're in suspense....Mar-a-Lago.

This clip has been posted before, but want to emphasize the reply that has been stated so many times on Surly re: transactional. I cannot imagine what it is like to be the child of a narcissist. I don't feel much sympathy for the Trump children, but is this psychological condition very common? I've heard people talk about Trump in this way for ages, but I don't know that I've ever had much contact with someone who behaves like he does. I guess I'm very fortunate.

I'm not sure where this goes.  Here?  The Republican Party thread?  
But, https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/18/opinion/sully-biden-stutter-lara-trump.html

Capt. ‘Sully’ Sullenberger: Like Joe Biden, I Once Stuttered, Too. I Dare You to Mock Me.

The retired pilot responds to recent comments from the president’s daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, on the way the former vice president talks.

Spoiler

As a small boy in Denison, Texas, I remember vividly the anguish of being called on in grade school, knowing that I was going to have a hard time getting the words out; that my words could not keep up with my mind, and they would often come out jumbled. My neck and face would quickly begin to flush a bright red, the searing heat rising all the way to the top of my head; every eye in the room on me; the intense and painful humiliation, and bullying that would follow, all because of my inability to get the words out.

Those feelings came rushing back, when I heard Lara Trump mocking former Vice President Joe Biden at a Trump campaign event, with the very words that caused my childhood agony. “Joe, can you get it out?” Ms. Trump was seen saying onstage, as a few giggles are heard from an otherwise silent audience. “Let’s get the words out, Joe.”

In the interest of full disclosure, I attended a fundraiser last year for the Biden campaign, but this issue goes beyond politics. Regardless of how you feel about Joe Biden, or his chances of becoming the Democratic nominee for president; whether you are a Republican, a Democrat, or none of the above; whether you stuttered as a child or laughed at one who did; whether as a parent you try to protect your own stuttering child from taunts such as those made by the president’s daughter-in-law; these words come without hesitation: Stop. Grow up. Show some decency. People who can’t, have no place in public life.

What might a child who stutters, as I did, feel when they hear a grown-up on a public stage trying to make a bunch of other adults laugh by ridiculing a public figure who also stutters?

This culture of cruelty is what drives decent people from public service, and what makes millions of Americans recoil from politics, and even from participating in our democracy. Vice President Biden has spoken openly — and courageously, in my view — about the pain of his severe childhood stutter. He takes time to reach out to children who have suffered as he did.

As I grew older, I learned to manage and overcome my stuttering, through much hard work and intense focus. I learned to slow down and to enunciate each word with precision. I joined the church choir, and found that singing helped me to practice controlling my breath, and the formation of words. I learned to resist and overcome the bullying.

I also learned that our imperfections do not define us.

The fact that I once stuttered did not keep me from being a successful U.S. Air Force fighter pilot, an airline pilot, or even a public speaker.

And on that frigid day in January 2009, when I had to tell the air traffic controller at New York Departure Control that I was about to land US Airways Flight 1549 in the Hudson River, after a bird strike following takeoff caused both engines to fail, my words came out with precision and control, even in the stress of a life-threatening emergency.

So, to every child who feels today, what I felt, after hearing those cruel remarks by an adult who should know better, here is what I want you to know:

You are fine, just as you are. You can do any job you dream of when you grow up. You can be a pilot who lands your plane on a river and helps save lives, or a president who treats people with respect, rather than making fun of them. You can become a teacher to kids who stutter. A speech disorder is a lot easier to treat than a character defect. You become a true leader, not because of how you speak, but because of what you have to say — and the challenges you have overcome to help others. Ignore kids (and adults) who are mean, or don’t know what it feels like to stutter. Respond by showing them how to be kind, polite, respectful and generous, to be brave enough to try big things, even though you are not perfect.

And it didn’t stop him from becoming a bad ass motherf*cker!

6 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Woke up grumpy. 

Since a favorable outcome to his senate impeachment trial has long been secure, he’s free to use the impeachment & trial as a tool to froth up his base.  Get them to turn out in record numbers this November and let daddy Putin make up the rest of the necessary votes.

Its a winning play.

Dumb Bastard, finally has a chance to show off how smart he is by using the term correctly, Attorneys General.  But nope, he fucked up and type Attorney Generals.  You had one job, Donald...one job!  Well, on the bright side he is actually correct about the Bloomberg campaign strategy.  But as usual, he's proven he's clinically demented before 8:00a.  That's hard to do, it takes me several hours to get there.  Usually after lunch. 

Dumb Bastard, finally has a chance to show off how smart he is by using the term correctly, Attorneys General.  But nope, he fucked up and type Attorney Generals.  You had one job, Donald...one job!  Well, on the bright side he is actually correct about the Bloomberg campaign strategy.  But as usual, he's proven he's clinically demented before 8:00a.  That's hard to do, it takes me several hours to get there.  Usually after lunch. 

M’eh! Attorneys General sounds funny. Like using RBI in the plural form.

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

IMO wouldn't matter. The man doesn't respect lawyers as much as find them useful. Generals, when he's not calling them dopes and babies, he has a little more insecurity about. Ergo, in his mush brain, it makes sense: They are paper war fighters, these Attorney Generals [sic]. They, like his good friend Billy can build a wall of obstruction that no contractor ever could. Eventually a web of state and federal organized crime that has its tentacles in every part of your life. Along with Stephen Miller's policies, a vision of the Trump Dynasty. Blechhhh.

Sorry, dark imagination today.

• Like 1

It's as if half the country totally believes the drunk idiot who's been pulled over at 2:30 in the morning when he says he's refusing the breathalyzer because it says right there in the Constitution he doesn't have to take a breathalyzer.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 3:07 PM, RomaVicta said:

I recently read how they're getting essentially swindled out of family farms because of poor record keeping. It. Never. Stops.

This is an interesting problem and it affects the rural poor generally.  It's not "record keeping," it's failure to probate estates.  A lot of rural timberland is titled in the name of people who passed generations ago.  Title then becomes essentially impossible to correct.  So timber companies get quitclaim deeds from every identifiable heir for $100, $500, or $1000 a throw and acquire the property at presumably reduced rates.

You see people right here on this board trying to avoid probate or keeping good title to land.  For African-Americans, it is a by-product of general purpose disenfranchisement.  But it works against white folks equally as well.

22 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

RsBI?

You just blew my mind.  And also gave me something to look up while taking a shit  later...other baseball stats we could say differently.  

Speaking of shit, Trump did not get the rousing support one would have assumed at yesterday's Texas Public Policy 2020 gathering.  Only one elected GOP official called the impeachment trial "a tragedy", "a hoax", or "a crime"; and that was State Sen. Bettencourt who is a fucking Aggie.   Most others just alluded to the fact that the President and party are facing challenging times.  It was almost disappointing.  

Edited by Lobo

Yep, she saw it coming.  Pence did not.  You can see Charles "sizing him up" with that look he gave Mike.  Well played Chuck...today I give a shit about the British Royalty.  

Wouldn’t it be Jewe, then?  
It’d be a fun party until they announce in coup lieu of shrimp, crawfish, and oysters...they are serving whitefish, salmon, and sole.   But my Jewish family and friends do like to booze it up.  

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It’d be a fun party until they announce in coup lieu of shrimp, crawfish, and oysters...they are serving whitefish, salmon, and sole.   But my Jewish family and friends do like to booze it up.  

What, no herring? That would be a Jewe Coup Krewe Boo Boo.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It’d be a fun party until they announce in coup lieu of shrimp, crawfish, and oysters...they are serving whitefish, salmon, and sole.   But my Jewish family and friends do like to booze it up.  a white supremacist drives his car into the crowd.

Fixy